Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Lunar 2 was a wonderful RPG that is probably in my top 25. That game doesn't get enough recognition. Also, Fire Emblem should be on that list somewhere.
Lunar 1 and 2 were the two games that really got me into JRPGs back in the day. I still love them and think they are great games, but I would only rank them higher because of nostalgia.

About Chrono, I never could get through it on PS1. Absolutely awful. I do think the DS version is great however.

I thought Lunar 2 was a wonderful RPG that is probably in my top 25. That game doesn't get enough recognition. Also, Fire Emblem should be on that list somewhere.
Was 2 better than 1? I loved 1 but for some reason never played 2. Despite owning like 4 copies of it (stupid working design and their different disc art sceme)

BTW i didn't even finish reading that shit list when they had friggin FFX beating out Suikoden II. Screw that

Was 2 better than 1? I loved 1 but for some reason never played 2. Despite owning like 4 copies of it (stupid working design and their different disc art sceme)
I think Lunar 1 is quite a bit better. There's nothing wrong with Lunar 2; it's just too similar to the first game to really stand out on its own.

That reminds me, I should grab the other two persona games I don't own for PSP (Persona 1 and 3) on Disk. I don't know what it is, but I have this weird thing for buying physical copies of JRPG's. Nothing against digital but for some reason I just prefer physical.

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm still collecting games for dead older generation systems.  At least there are digital versions nowadays so you don't have to buy two physical copies of a game if you want to play one and keep the other sealed.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm still collecting games for dead older generation systems. At least there are digital versions nowadays so you don't have to buy two physical copies of a game if you want to play one and keep the other sealed.
True... For most titles. Example: Disgaea 3 and 4 are still disc only on PSN.

How is Tales of Vesperia? Forgot the game existed until it a review popped up on one of my yt feeds.

Thinking about buying it for my GF because she owns a 360 and since it has local co-op for battles play it together through co-op sometime (well battles can be co-op but we can experience it together).

How is Tales of Vesperia? Forgot the game existed until it a review popped up on one of my yt feeds.

Thinking about buying it for my GF because she owns a 360 and since it has local co-op for battles play it together through co-op sometime (well battles can be co-op but we can experience it together).
I'm probably a bit biased, but I love the game :) You are correct that only the battles are co-op, but if she is one to enjoy story and characters then it'll be fine. When I play it, we take turns controlling the main character (after the first ~4 hours or so of the game, you can change the on-screen character using the "Special Flag" item). It introduces the combat controls slowly, so no worries there. It follows the format of story --> bunch of combat --> story, --> combat, etc.

It's a solid 50-60 hours, plus more if you do a lot of the side quests and post-game dungeon. There's a demo of Vesperia on Xbox live, although it plops you into one of the worst bosses for new players.

Tales of Graces F, and soon Xillia, are also great options for PS3.

I think Lunar 1 is quite a bit better. There's nothing wrong with Lunar 2; it's just too similar to the first game to really stand out on its own.
I did as well. To me, the original Lunar is one of the best RPGs ever but I can't say the same about Lunar 2, mainly because the story and characters simply weren't as appealing. Plus, the final boss (3rd stage) in Lunar 2 kicked my ass handedly for weeks, until I beat with by sheer luck-- one of my characters survived (the magic user girl, I think?) with 2 HP/0 MP and her regular attack finished him.

I'd love to see a squeal to the series though... but it'll never happen.

Best JRPG of this era.

I fuckin loved Nier.
Yeah, the music in the game was so incredible, I found myself killing shades in the open land just to hear the music there.

I have Graces F and Xillia preordered. She doesn't have a PS3, but a 360 so I was thinking about it. Might as well buy it as a present to co-op. It's gotten cheaper anyway.
Graces F was my intro to the series, and couldn't believe how deep and fun the game was,now I'm in love with the series, can't wait for Xilla!! Wish they would localise the Vita games.

I have Graces F and Xillia preordered. She doesn't have a PS3, but a 360 so I was thinking about it. Might as well buy it as a present to co-op. It's gotten cheaper anyway.
Ah! If you've played Graces, then you have a pretty good sense of Vesperia. The combat system is TP (mana) based in Vesperia as opposed to the CC of Graces, and I think the story in vesperia is better, but the core of the games are similar :D The world map in Vesperia is also much more open than Graces.

Ah! If you've played Graces, then you have a pretty good sense of Vesperia. The combat system is TP (mana) based in Vesperia as opposed to the CC of Graces, and I think the story in vesperia is better, but the core of the games are similar :D The world map in Vesperia is also much more open than Graces.
Have not played Graces, backlogged. I started with Symphonia and I have Abyss as well. So I know what the Tales Series is like. Gonna look for a copy then, defiantly want to try it.

Anyone interested in the Tales series needs to make sure they play Abyss. The game itself is pretty well even with the other entries in the series, but the story and character development are just incredible. Tales of Games always start with anime/JRPG archetypes and then proceed to develop them throughout the entirety of the game, until they no longer resemble the trope that they started out as. Abyss does an incredible job of this. The story is also very unique for a JRPG. I can only think of one other game off the top of my head that touches on one of the main plot points. The game's story / character development just cannot be praised enough, honestly.

Anyone interested in the Tales series needs to make sure they play Abyss. The game itself is pretty well even with the other entries in the series, but the story and character development are just incredible. Tales of Games always start with anime/JRPG archetypes and then proceed to develop them throughout the entirety of the game, until they no longer resemble the trope that they started out as. Abyss does an incredible job of this. The story is also very unique for a JRPG. I can only think of one other game off the top of my head that touches on one of the main plot points. The game's story / character development just cannot be praised enough, honestly.
I'm half way through Tales of Grace f and I'm enjoying it. Tales of the Abyss will be my next Tales of game.

I'll try it when they put it out on PS3 in HD. I sold my PS2 years ago.

I don't think Graces saw too many hefty price cuts. Also, looking at Project X Zone (the most recent NB CE) the first print LE was really just that. I don't think it's worth risking it.

I guess I'll pick it up.  I just hate the idea of being pissed at myself if it's on sale some place $10 off after a few weeks.

edit: Graces "Day 1 edition" was on sale for a long time in the UK though?  I know because I imported one there.

I guess I'll pick it up. I just hate the idea of being pissed at myself if it's on sale some place $10 off after a few weeks.

edit: Graces "Day 1 edition" was on sale for a long time in the UK though? I know because I imported one there.
That is true. That was a regional "Sorry it's late" thing. I guess it depends on which one you want to base your assumption off of. I'll be going off of PxZ, but that's dealer's choice, I suppose.

I guess I'll pick it up. I just hate the idea of being pissed at myself if it's on sale some place $10 off after a few weeks.

edit: Graces "Day 1 edition" was on sale for a long time in the UK though? I know because I imported one there.
The 1st run dropped to 25 GBP for a bit before going back to 40. When it was marked to 20, that was the price drop for the standard copies but Zavvi never updated their listing and sent out whatever they had left (SEs/standards). In the end, I think only a small number (2-3) CAGs actually got the SE while everyone else got the standard release.

I ordered ToX. My wife recently got a $10 Visa gift card so I used it. Since you can't use more than one card per order I had to buy a $10 Amazon gift card with it, apply that to my account, then buy it. That's pretty dumb.

The 1st run dropped to 25 GBP for a bit before going back to 40. When it was marked to 20, that was the price drop for the standard copies but Zavvi never updated their listing and sent out whatever they had left (SEs/standards). In the end, I think only a small number (2-3) CAGs actually got the SE while everyone else got the standard release.
I know the time you're talking about, I got it way before that. I ordered on Nov 11 for £22.46 from Zavvi.

Tales of the Abyss: 3DS or PS2 version?
Whatever you think would be more comfortable to play it on. The 3DS version didn't really receive any updates. It also (to my eyes at least) looks just as ugly as the PS2 version. I'd prefer the PS2 game because that controller is more comfortable for extended play than a 3DS / XL is, but it's really up to your own preference.

Anyone playing Tales of the Abyss for the first time, just remember to stay away from anything sharp for a few days lest you get depressed and do something unpleasant. I mean, damn, nothing that isn't horrible happens to anyone in that game. Ever.

Anyone playing Tales of the Abyss for the first time, just remember to stay away from anything sharp for a few days lest you get depressed and do something unpleasant. I mean, damn, nothing that isn't horrible happens to anyone in that game. Ever.
It's okay. You've got Jade and his incredibly sharp writing to perk up your mood. :D lol

For those you getting the HDN Victory LE replacement tin from NISA... did anyone get theirs yet?

Someone here (who I was talking to before, about my damaged copy) apparently got theirs and they received a brand new copy of the Limited Edition. Yeah, the actual LE... not just the tin case. Can't wait to see what I get, tomorrow.

What add-ons are worth buying for Valkyria Chronicles?  I just started playing it yesterday.  They're $3 per add-on which is kind of high since I paid $16 for the full game but still, anything worth a buy?

What add-ons are worth buying for Valkyria Chronicles? I just started playing it yesterday. They're $3 per add-on which is kind of high since I paid $16 for the full game but still, anything worth a buy?
Behind Her Blue Flame, Enter the Edy, and Edy Detachment. If you're really good at the game get the Extra Hard Mode as well.

I only ended up playing Behind Her Blue Flame, but it was brilliant! Any of the story / side-story add ons would surely be well worth the time and money. I also chose to skip super hard mode. lol

I received my NISA replacement yesterday, but to my surprise, they only sent me 1 replacement when I ordered 2.  *sigh* Another call/email to NISA is now pending.

I only ended up playing Behind Her Blue Flame, but it was brilliant! Any of the story / side-story add ons would surely be well worth the time and money. I also chose to skip super hard mode. lol
I went ahead and bought the three, they're 2.99 each. Looking them up they used to be 4.99.

Does anyone else's PS3 go kind of slow/laggy in the PSN store??

Bought Vesperia. It must of dropped in price past few weeks because I snagged a copy off Warehouse Deals for $23 shipped.

My Tales Collection is slowly growing. I have Abyss, Graces F, Xillia and Symphonia HD (preordered) and now Vesperia.

Is the anime based on Vesperia any good? It's $17 on Amazon for the Blu/DVD Combo Pack.

Bought Vesperia. It must of dropped in price past few weeks because I snagged a copy off Warehouse Deals for $23 shipped.

My Tales Collection is slowly growing. I have Abyss, Graces F, Xillia and Symphonia HD (preordered) and now Vesperia.
Is the anime based on Vesperia any good? It's $17 on Amazon for the Blu/DVD Combo Pack.
I never saw the anime but I did play through Vesperia on my 360 and IIRC the anime is a prequel.

I have enjoyed the Anime :) It's a prequel and focuses on Flynn and Yuri when they first join the knights. Most characters from Vesperia make a cameo :) While it's a prequel, you get more out of it if you play the game first since you will know all the characters. It does set the background, but it's not like the anime ties directly into the beginning of Vesperia. If i remember right, it's suppose to be 2 years before the events of the game

It doesn't contain any spoilers though, so watching it first wouldn't spoil anything in the game.

Somewhat related question: Whenever the XMB on my PS3 appears, it takes quite a while for the icons to load. Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back