Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! Absolutely will pre-order the LE physical the second I can.
Yep, looks like another game I'll add to the collection. One of the great things about having a wife who loves anime is I d't have to explain games like these.

Sanran keguri Versus coming to us vita in Fall. There will be a physical LE release.

Edit: already posted, but i'm excited!

Christ $40 is way too expensive for my blood, even though it's probably amazing. I have hope Drakengard 3 is halfway good. I loved Nier.
It is rather expensive, especially after the shipping from DR: about $46. Part of me is astounded I pre-ordered it, considering that the entire Nier Soundtrack is on iTunes for $16. I'm sure Drakengard 3's soundtrack will be up there at a similar price in a few months. Word of mouth says the soundtrack is a masterpiece though, and since I've realized you should have a CD to fall back on just in case (car won't let me use the iPod anymore), I'm telling myself this will be worth it.

Atelier Rorona Plus is releasing in the U.S. for PS3/Vita on June 24th, with a retail release for PS3 ( :hot:) and digital release for Vita.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-08/atelier-rorona-plus-heads-west-on-ps3-vita-in-june

I guess I'll wait even longer to start Totori and Meruru...
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this is also releasing for the PS3, as I remember reading that the remake was only for the Vita. I'll probably get it around release if I don't have anything else on my plate at the time. I honestly can't remember if there's something else releasing at the same time that I want.

Guess it also means I'll hold off on playing Meruru for a while.

Yep, looks like another game I'll add to the collection. One of the great things about having a wife who loves anime is I d't have to explain games like these.
well, you can also play against your wife, since the game feature an online 4 players multiplayer.

Atelier Rorona Plus is releasing in the U.S. for PS3/Vita on June 24th, with a retail release for PS3 ( :hot:) and digital release for Vita.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-08/atelier-rorona-plus-heads-west-on-ps3-vita-in-june

I guess I'll wait even longer to start Totori and Meruru...
I posted this on Reddit but I just feel like I wanted to get it off my chest some more:

I have to say, when NISA published this series it was a lot better. The Collectors Editions of the games were pretty nice and they were announced in a timely manner for people. Since Tecmo Koei has taken over the series they have remade all three that were available on the PlayStation 3, two of which are Vita only and charged full price. Why?If you look at NISA website you are still able to order some of the originals. I feel like Tecmo Koei just wanted to take any opportunity away from NISA to capitalize on making any more money off of the series.

The series has always seen a physical release up until Tecmo Koei released these remakes and they didn't even release them in chronological order, it went 2 - 3 - 1. Don't you think that its a little odd that they did this? I mean I understand if Tecmo Koei had an announcement at an E3, (Yes this series has been announced at E3 before) and said they were remaking the Arland series for the Vita and told us what to expect over the next few years and the differences between the originals and the remakes.

I guess that their going digital only for the Vita keeps their production cost really low as they do not have to print anything, but then why print a physical release on the PlayStation 3 for this one and none of the others? It just does not make any since as most people that wanted to play this game have already picked it up in 2010. I understand if you want to pick it up on the Vita as it is a handheld and you can take your games on the go, so why the PlayStation 3 again? I feel like Tecmo Koei really does not understand the West market at all, they are selling a remake of a game that is only FOUR years old to a nitch market for $39.99. Now most JRPGs like this are sold at an already reduced cost of $49.99 to make them more appealing to customers as they are already hard to sell to begin with. Lets take a look at most HD Remakes that are going on today, Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 all where marketed at $39.99 and they were remakes from the previous generation spanning back to 2001 and includes multiple games (most if not all HD Remakes contain multiple games). How is it that we let Tecmo Koei get away with remaking a game that is only four years old and price it the same as other companies? I feel like if EA were to make a remake of game that was only four years old and price it like this the internet would blow up, but here over at JRPG we accept this as common practice. Also announcing a game less than one month before release is a sure way to insure yourself a bad release.

What Tecmo Koei should have done is announce that they were remaking the Arland series for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. All three will be packaged together at a price of $39.99 - $49.99 (I am willing to pay $10 for something like this) and there will be an extreme limited edition for both the PlayStation 3 and the Vita at $79.99 - $89.99, but after these are gone the Vita version will be digital only.

Am I the only one that feels this way about this series ?

Edit: Also the nerve of Tecmo Koei taking out duel audio in Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk, which the entire Arland series had. Then they backtracked and put it back in for Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky because of the backlash from fans and even promised that it would be in all future games because they didn't see it as such a bid deal.

Pikupstyks

Hey I know we're all a bit unhappy about Tecmo Koei are handling the series. They don't treat it as special and it sucks, but what can we do. Also the Remakes were released in that order so they just did them in that order...it wasn't to spite us. I do have to say they treat the Vita versions half arsed (only digital) and the PS3 versions are all Bare Bones. I will get Rorona Plus mainly because it remakes and fixes the wrongs of the first one (I didn't have too much difficulty with it myself but stopped playing about 70% through for not sure why), and adds some good stuff. I will get the PS3 version since I strongly prefer physical versions of games (only got the Vita versions when they're on sale which they were recently for half off).

They don't treat them as well, but at least we still get the series and the remakes are pretty much GOTY versions for Totori/Meruru and now for Rorona it's an actual remake. I do like GOTY versions, which is why I'm getting the Disgaea 4 Vita version since it has the DLC.

Make the choice with your own money (such as I not wanting to buy the Plus versions of Totori/Meruru before they went on sale) and complain to them. It worked at least for the Dual audio and could for the Vita physical versions as well..

When enough complain it works such as Xseed deciding to release Senran Kagura Versus as a physical limited version as well as a PSN download. I know everyone complained about the 3DS version and yes I will always prefer a physical copy.

We got to be glad we're even getting these games....do you remember when pretty much every Atelier game was skipped...now we get all of them. That makes me happy at least.

I posted this on Reddit but I just feel like I wanted to get it off my chest some more:

I have to say, when NISA published this series it was a lot better. The Collectors Editions of the games were pretty nice and they were announced in a timely manner for people. Since Tecmo Koei has taken over the series they have remade all three that were available on the PlayStation 3, two of which are Vita only and charged full price. Why?If you look at NISA website you are still able to order some of the originals. I feel like Tecmo Koei just wanted to take any opportunity away from NISA to capitalize on making any more money off of the series.

The series has always seen a physical release up until Tecmo Koei released these remakes and they didn't even release them in chronological order, it went 2 - 3 - 1. Don't you think that its a little odd that they did this? I mean I understand if Tecmo Koei had an announcement at an E3, (Yes this series has been announced at E3 before) and said they were remaking the Arland series for the Vita and told us what to expect over the next few years and the differences between the originals and the remakes.

I guess that their going digital only for the Vita keeps their production cost really low as they do not have to print anything, but then why print a physical release on the PlayStation 3 for this one and none of the others? It just does not make any since as most people that wanted to play this game have already picked it up in 2010. I understand if you want to pick it up on the Vita as it is a handheld and you can take your games on the go, so why the PlayStation 3 again? I feel like Tecmo Koei really does not understand the West market at all, they are selling a remake of a game that is only FOUR years old to a nitch market for $39.99. Now most JRPGs like this are sold at an already reduced cost of $49.99 to make them more appealing to customers as they are already hard to sell to begin with. Lets take a look at most HD Remakes that are going on today, Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 all where marketed at $39.99 and they were remakes from the previous generation spanning back to 2001 and includes multiple games (most if not all HD Remakes contain multiple games). How is it that we let Tecmo Koei get away with remaking a game that is only four years old and price it the same as other companies? I feel like if EA were to make a remake of game that was only four years old and price it like this the internet would blow up, but here over at JRPG we accept this as common practice. Also announcing a game less than one month before release is a sure way to insure yourself a bad release.

What Tecmo Koei should have done is announce that they were remaking the Arland series for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. All three will be packaged together at a price of $39.99 - $49.99 (I am willing to pay $10 for something like this) and there will be an extreme limited edition for both the PlayStation 3 and the Vita at $79.99 - $89.99, but after these are gone the Vita version will be digital only.

Edit: Also the nerve of Tecmo Koei taking out duel audio in Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk, which the entire Arland series had. Then they backtracked and put it back in for Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky because of the backlash from fans and even promised that it would be in all future games because they didn't see it as such a bid deal.
Sense. Niche.

God of War 1 & 2 got remastered, which is a 2005/2009 game released in 2011.

Tales of Symphonia got remastered, which is a 2004/2008 released in 2014.

Persona 4 2008, Golden 2012.

Persona 3 2006, 2007, 2009.

Rorona 2009, 2013.

Yes, Tecmo Koei sucks. But it is their game. All 12 Atelier games are Koei's. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I haven't bought Ayesha yet.

Edit:

Oh right, cause of the post above mine.

Disgaea 2003, 2006, 2008.

Disgaea 3 2008, 2011.

This is obviously not new.

1. Blu Ray cost next to nothing to make, while Vita cart are a bit more expensive.

2. The release order of 3-2-1 is the same release order as Japan.

Pikupstyks

Hey I know we're all a bit unhappy about Tecmo Koei are handling the series. They don't treat it as special and it sucks, but what can we do. Also the Remakes were released in that order so they just did them in that order...it wasn't to spite us. I do have to say they treat the Vita versions half arsed (only digital) and the PS3 versions are all Bare Bones. I will get Rorona Plus mainly because it remakes and fixes the wrongs of the first one (I didn't have too much difficulty with it myself but stopped playing about 70% through for not sure why), and adds some good stuff. I will get the PS3 version since I strongly prefer physical versions of games (only got the Vita versions when they're on sale which they were recently for half off).

They don't treat them as well, but at least we still get the series and the remakes are pretty much GOTY versions for Totori/Meruru and now for Rorona it's an actual remake. I do like GOTY versions, which is why I'm getting the Disgaea 4 Vita version since it has the DLC.

Make the choice with your own money (such as I not wanting to buy the Plus versions of Totori/Meruru before they went on sale) and complain to them. It worked at least for the Dual audio and could for the Vita physical versions as well..

When enough complain it works such as Xseed deciding to release Senran Kagura Versus as a physical limited version as well as a PSN download. I know everyone complained about the 3DS version and yes I will always prefer a physical copy.

We got to be glad we're even getting these games....do you remember when pretty much every Atelier game was skipped...now we get all of them. That makes me happy at least.
The only thing that companies like Xseed listen to is your wallet. Enough people brought the first Senran Kagura (including myself )and showed there is demand for a physical Vita release.

I'm content with digital for Rorona+, but I'm really hoping Ayesha+ and the other Dusk games are physical.

I only have space left for Rorona+ and SAO on my 32 gb card.

The only thing that companies like Xseed listen to is your wallet. Enough people brought the first Senran Kagura (including myself )and showed there is demand for a physical Vita release.
I actually have a bit of respect for Xseed. They've been releasing free DLCs for Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on a weekly basis so far 0_0

I'm just glad to get the Atelier remakes in physical form, since I've collected all the previous ones.  And since they're all standard versions, I can just wait to pick them up when they become cheap...

I'm just glad to get the Atelier remakes in physical form, since I've collected all the previous ones. And since they're all standard versions, I can just await to pick them up when they're cheap...
I'm ready to jump into that series. I will wait for the Rorona remake to come out to start the PS3/Vita games (I think I have all till Ayesha, and yes I did play 1-3 on the PS2 and was ok at keeping up with the games then!). Excited a bit esp since I liked Rorona when I played it.

Monster Monpiece will be released on 5/27 (NA) and 5/28 (EU) on PSN for $29.99
Wish this had a physical release... but given that CCG/Anime is niche, that a digital release made more sense. Can not pull the trigger on this game at that price. #wontpayalotforvirtualgoods

Green Card200, on 09 May 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:
Aww I was hoping Shinovi would be $40.
well they did say that the physical edition would be very limited, since they are good to their fans and they didn't spend money or voice overs, they hooked their fans up with the extras so that is why its 50, went as soon as they opened and preordered it with some others, since they announced this and nothing for akibas 2, my hopes that they will throw in extras means its slim since they are spending the extra money for dubbing.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus Limited Edition now available for pre-order on GameStop.
Dang I need to go into gamestop this weekend and pre-order me some Vita games. Pre-ordering One Piece Red, Tales of Hearts R and Senran Kagura VS (though this may not be physical exclusivity to Gamestop like the others may be but it's limited release anyways). May also pre-order Rorona Plus for PS3 as I do like swimsuit costumes and those are Gamestop Exclusive. I don't hate Gamestop, and they likely wont damage my games (anything other than hard cases seems to come a bit damaged from Amazon), and the people at my Gamestop are OK friendly enough. I just wish that some of the Vita physical releases weren't exclusive to Gamestop for more competitive prices.

Also Monster Monpiece easy buy for 29.99. I want a physical release but it's a high want to play game as well, so I will likely use my end of the month game money for it it instead of Watch Dogs PS4 (very iffy on this game).

Silly question that's been beaten to death - is it easy to cancel a Gamestop preorder (doesn't have to be Newegg easy, but you get the idea)?

I think I'm going to preorder Hearts R in store (and take the slight chance that it's gutted since I would pick it up first day it arrived), but for Senran Kagura, it seems like online is the way to go even if it takes damage on the way.  It'll be years before I play it anyway so I might just double dip on it...IDK.

Silly question that's been beaten to death - is it easy to cancel a Gamestop preorder (doesn't have to be Newegg easy, but you get the idea)?

I think I'm going to preorder Hearts R in store (and take the slight chance that it's gutted since I would pick it up first day it arrived), but for Senran Kagura, it seems like online is the way to go even if it takes damage on the way. It'll be years before I play it anyway so I might just double dip on it...IDK.
I've never cancelled a pre-order before.....though I did not pick up a pre-order before....like one of the site to store pre-orders (never do this, just order in store because it confuses the hell out of Gamestop employees). It was for Fire Emblem Awakening and my supposed copy was avaliable 2 weeks after release.... by then I found a copy at Wal-Mart I believe. I think I've seen someone cancel a pre-order in store and get their 5 bucks back, but someone who uses Gamestop more can clarify this.

Also if you pre-order in store your game will not be gutted and they should call you maybe or just check on release date and they will have their reserved copies shrink wrapped and ready to go. After the pre-order period...guts ahoy matey!

I think I'm going to preorder Hearts R in store (and take the slight chance that it's gutted since I would pick it up first day it arrived), but for Senran Kagura, it seems like online is the way to go even if it takes damage on the way. It'll be years before I play it anyway so I might just double dip on it...IDK.
Last month, I was really undecided about pre-ordering a game and one of the guys at my local store told me that I could cancel pre-orders and get my money back, no problem at all. He told me he pre-orders anything he might want to buy and if he changes his mind, just cancels and puts the $5 he put down onto something he is going to buy or another pre-order. This is pretty much what I do now, although I have yet to actually cancel a pre-order.

So, it turns out Akiba's Trip is going to have english voice overs. Now that's just icing on the cake. I don't actually remember if I knew that or not, but it's news to me right now. :lol:

So, it turns out Akiba's Trip is going to have english voice overs. Now that's just icing on the cake. I don't actually remember if I knew that or not, but it's news to me right now. :lol:
Xseed is trying to push it to a more mainstream audience. Although I do question of all the games they had to choose, why did they choose the one about stripping people's clothes off as their mainstream title?

That answers my question well - thank you both!  I'm going to preorder Hearts R in store and I think I will get Kagura online because while I have the stones to pick it up in person, I really don't feel like doing that at all.

That answers my question well - thank you both! I'm going to preorder Hearts R in store and I think I will get Kagura online because while I have the stones to pick it up in person, I really don't feel like doing that at all.
I'm in a different situation. I'd love to preorder it in store, but I'll be moving before Shinovi Versus comes out. I'm just wondering if I preorder it at my local GS, will it have me saved in their GS system so when I move I can still pick up my preorder at the GS at my new location or does it not work that way? I'm paranoid that they're going to run out of copies and I don't want to buy digital.

I'm in a different situation. I'd love to preorder it in store, but I'll be moving before Shinovi Versus comes out. I'm just wondering if I preorder it at my local GS, will it have me saved in their GS system so when I move I can still pick up my preorder at the GS at my new location or does it not work that way? I'm paranoid that they're going to run out of copies and I don't want to buy digital.
It doesn't work that way--unfortunately, in-store preorders are limited to the stores at which you placed the preorder.

Am I alone in thinking it might be less...noticeable to order this one online? :???:
For me the most noticeable in-store preorder Record of Agarest War. I was the only preorder and just imagined the employees looking at the box and thinking WTF. Then I stroll in and ask for it. Game with a pic of a girl eating a sausage? Yup that's mine.

I've never cancelled a pre-order before.....though I did not pick up a pre-order before....like one of the site to store pre-orders (never do this, just order in store because it confuses the hell out of Gamestop employees). It was for Fire Emblem Awakening and my supposed copy was avaliable 2 weeks after release.... by then I found a copy at Wal-Mart I believe. I think I've seen someone cancel a pre-order in store and get their 5 bucks back, but someone who uses Gamestop more can clarify this.

Also if you pre-order in store your game will not be gutted and they should call you maybe or just check on release date and they will have their reserved copies shrink wrapped and ready to go. After the pre-order period...guts ahoy matey!
Not true at all. Guy tried to give me a gutted copy of Ni no Kuni after telling me they ran out of sealed copies AND steelbooks, on release day (paid in FULL 2-3 months prior). Had issues with same store regarding other physical preorders and/or LE/CEs.

Not true at all. Guy tried to give me a gutted copy of Ni no Kuni after telling me they ran out of sealed copies AND steelbooks, on release day (paid in FULL 2-3 months prior). Had issues with same store regarding other physical preorders and/or LE/CEs.
I have never had any issue with opened pre-orders, but I did once try and buy the last copy of a game (forgot the game) on release day and it was gutted. I asked why they would do such a thing and they said some 'corporate display return weird issue' thing. I can't remember what it was, but there was some corporate policy regarding the last new copy. I've seen this with older, last new copies of games in two different stores. Maybe it was the case they sold your pre-order and you ended up getting that copy?

I do a fair amount of pre-ordering from my local GS and if they did that, or I had any issues at all with my pre-orders, I would go somewhere else in a second.

I've done about 3-4 gamestop pre-orders and they were sealed copies....if they pulled the gutting stuff on me I would likely punch them haha. Now buying a copy on release day.....no guarantee there, I remember how annoying it was to get the Infamous SS with the extra DLC....they were all those copies are for pre-orders only....and they had standard ones....yeah that day sucked had to get it from a k-mart....though the sales clerk there was very friendly.

I have never had any issue with opened pre-orders, but I did once try and buy the last copy of a game (forgot the game) on release day and it was gutted. I asked why they would do such a thing and they said some 'corporate display return weird issue' thing. I can't remember what it was, but there was some corporate policy regarding the last new copy. I've seen this with older, last new copies of games in two different stores. Maybe it was the case they sold your pre-order and you ended up getting that copy?

I do a fair amount of pre-ordering from my local GS and if they did that, or I had any issues at all with my pre-orders, I would go somewhere else in a second.
I just canceled the preorder. It was before 5PM when I went (likely around 2-3). There had to be more walk-in pick ups then normal especially since the game got really good reviews.

On release day, there should always be enough sealed copies setaside for preorders.

I've done about 3-4 gamestop pre-orders and they were sealed copies....if they pulled the gutting stuff on me I would likely punch them haha. Now buying a copy on release day.....no guarantee there, I remember how annoying it was to get the Infamous SS with the extra DLC....they were all those copies are for pre-orders only....and they had standard ones....yeah that day sucked had to get it from a k-mart....though the sales clerk there was very friendly.
(read above then...) special first print limited editions are an anomaly as it is not suprising that stores don't even get enough to cover the preorders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back