Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive the ignorance, but how is it NISA exclusive? I thought they were no longer publishing the atelier games.

Idea Factory announced Re;birth 2 LE. Available for pre order in "early January" :

Includes:

- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation for PS Vita
- "Nepgear's Memories" 2015 Desktop Calendar
- "Sister's Melodies" Soundtrack CD
- Collector's Box

- Reversible Coversheet

10363505_1733426886882750_8166579972736891339_n.png

Make it stoppp ;-;

I don't really have much of an interest in them, but I know when it's almost OOS, I'm just going to order it anyways.

I want rebirth 2 though. Thought the first game was fun.

i would rather get final fantasy type-0 ce for $35 more. the content looks lackluster
actually type 0 is something like $47 more... yes 0 has a $100 price, but it also has no free shipping so you are looking at $8 more there, and you have tax on that while you won't on the NisA buy. The type 0 LE does indeed look nicer, but at the same time it costs quite a bit more so it should be.

Forgive the ignorance, but how is it NISA exclusive? I thought they were no longer publishing the atelier games.
Koei and Nis have always been on pretty good terms, likely with a dip in niche rpg sales once they stole the gust series from Nis (after koei bought out gust) they decided to let NisA do LE again. I know I bought all of the Atelier LE, but the games koei released themselves I picked up one for $20 and haven't picked up the other... I will likely be getting this LE though.

Why are they no longer publishing?

They're still doing some LE sets for Koei Tecmo, e.g. ar no Surge.
The Atelier series is owned by koei now and thus koei is publishing. NisA is only providing koei for an outlet to relsease the LE but are in no way the publisher of it.

Should i Get Persona 4: Arena Ultimax for $24.99?? Think it can go lower than that?
You must buy it, but I don't know if it has the launch date extras included.
I saw the price and was about to bite, but I just noticed the listing no longer mentions the teddie bop bag or the cards. I'm afraid they won't have it now.

Man, I wasn't even planning on getting this at launch...

http://store.nisamerica.com/atelier-shallie-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-limited-edition

At $64.99, I might have to bite, but with 4 Atelier games in my backlog, I dunno...
Hmm...I'm torn. I was gonna pick it up eventually but I'm not sure I like Dusk enough to buy it on release. I don't have any of the other Atelier LEs. I guess I'll just think about it for now. Anything I should know about the Nisa store? Never ordered direct from them before. They have free shipping it seems. Any tax?

Idea Factory announced Re;birth 2 LE. Available for pre order in "early January" :

Includes:

- Collector's Box

- Reversible Coversheet
Nepgear is worst nep. :p

Also, I was thinking of getting Xillia 2. But where's my best chance of getting Xillia 1 for cheap?

actually type 0 is something like $47 more... yes 0 has a $100 price, but it also has no free shipping so you are looking at $8 more there, and you have tax on that while you won't on the NisA buy. The type 0 LE does indeed look nicer, but at the same time it costs quite a bit more so it should be.
I didn't have any tax on my Type 0 order from SE (in Colorado). Wonder how many states they have a physical location in.

I can see the Atelier LE going real quick, first CE since Meruru and the value of those have gone up. Will probably grab one to keep sealed, then wait a year for the Plus version :p

Let's hope they don't screw us on a really bad delivery system this time.

https://www.facebook.com/IdeaFactoryIntl

Still hope Re;birth 2 is going to be limited in quantity however.

Also there are a lot of games on Amazon seemingly cheap, RPGs under $20, like Tales of Xillia 2 and Lightning Returns for $16, which does not interest me, unfortunately. Maybe $16 just makes it seem /too/ cheap?

Includes:

- Collector's Box

- Reversible Coversheet
I'm still salty over missing the first one.

I can see the Atelier LE going real quick, first CE since Meruru and the value of those have gone up. Will probably grab one to keep sealed, then wait a year for the Plus version :p
that is my plan. I will just buy it and eventually buy the plus version for like $15 and play that instead of the physical ps3 version but at least I will have goodies :p

that is my plan. I will just buy it and eventually buy the plus version for like $15 and play that instead of the physical ps3 version but at least I will have goodies :p
I wish the plus games were $15. They've only gone on sale once for $28~. C'mon Holiday sale, don't let me down. Worse comes to worst, I hope they put them on sale when Ayesha Plus comes out.

Depending on how much they charge for that Rebirth 2 LE, I might end up just buying the vanilla version.

I've never been a fan of calenders, and the only prepackaged OST I liked was the one that came with the Celceta CE. Glad I was one of the lucky thousand, who was able to grab the Rebirth 1 LE.

How the heck did you guys find that link, it's not even linked under "preorder" area...?

I'm super stoked that NIS America is getting their hands back in on the localization of Atelier games, after the bad reviews on the last ones losing all their Japanese audio tracks.

I really haven't played any before or after Rorona, though, so I can hardly converse much on the series. However I will buy any PS3 limited edition in NISA's store, regret-free.

Heh, not only are all of the PS3 Atelier games in my backlog, I haven't even played either of the Mana Khemia games yet. Last one I played was Atelier Iris 3. And I'm still thinking of getting this. I have a problem...
yes Im not alone.

I also have both tales of xilla CE's sealed....haven't touched the games and sadly I know I probably never will.

How the heck did you guys find that link, it's not even linked under "preorder" area...?

I'm super stoked that NIS America is getting their hands back in on the localization of Atelier games, after the bad reviews on the last ones losing all their Japanese audio tracks.

I really haven't played any before or after Rorona, though, so I can hardly converse much on the series. However I will buy any PS3 limited edition in NISA's store, regret-free.
I don't think NIS is actually involved other than doing the LE portion. Tecmo Koei is still the publisher and they were the ones that stripped down the features on the last game.

Includes:
- Collector's Box

- Reversible Coversheet
10363505_1733426886882750_8166579972736891339_n.png
Would it kill them to add an art book..? Not sure if I care for these extras, but I'll get it anyway since I have the Re;birth 1 LE. Also I would support a sadistic game for Plutia even though she's not a popular character.

Would it kill them to add an art book..? Not sure if I care for these extras, but I'll get it anyway since I have the Re;birth 1 LE. Also I would support a sadistic game for Plutia even though she's not a popular character.
wtf.. are they gonna do the same bullshit they did last time where it went live at certain time for a few minutes then gets buggy as fuck and sells out instantly? Or are they actually making this one purchasable?

wtf.. are they gonna do the same bullshit they did last time where it went live at certain time for a few minutes then gets buggy as fuck and sells out instantly? Or are they actually making this one purchasable?
A lot of buyers bought multiple copies when they used the Amazon store, but I'm certain they'll rely on a better online store like GameStop. It would be great if NISA & idea factory could become friends again, then we could order from the NISA store.

Includes:

- Collector's Box

- Reversible Coversheet
Isn't this game due in around January or so, are they pulling another 1,000 copies run? It seems awfully close to the release date to start the preorders, usually its way earlier, like a couple of months. This one looks pretty good though, the image on the reversible coversheet is actually one of my wallpapers.

A lot of buyers bought multiple copies when they used the Amazon store, but I'm certain they'll rely on a better online store like GameStop. It would be great if NISA & idea factory could become friends again, then we could order from the NISA store.
I don't think this one will be nearly as limited. The only reason the first one was limited is one specific piece included in the LE was in very short supply as it was imported from Japan. All of the stuff this time looks like they can print it locally.

I don't think NIS is actually involved other than doing the LE portion. Tecmo Koei is still the publisher and they were the ones that stripped down the features on the last game.
Yeah bad wording on my part, as far as I know it goes something like this:

The Atelier series is developed by their creative team in Japan, and over the years NISA had been getting the Japanese versions translated into English for Western audience members.

Then, sometime after Meruru, NISA stopped getting the translation rights and Tecmo Koei (Now known to us as Koei Tecmo) started doing all their own Western translations in-house, and thus also dropping the ball on cool Limited Special editions not to mention failure to include the already recorded Japanese audio tracks for the game, consequently also angering fans of the series, and killing interest in people like myself who really are honestly more obsessed with owning the games than simply just playing them.

Some other games happened since then, and I do think they may have also improved their in-house Western localizations, however there are some RPG fans who choose to live under rocks and when you see the series go back to NISA, you just feel better all around, both for the Atelier series and for NISA who originally took the risks at bringing these and other Gust, Idea Factory, Compile Heart, and other obscure JP developed software to the West.

I'm not faulting either party--business is business and you have to think about your employees and be able to keep them happy and paid as well, I am sure localizing obscure foreign video games is always an extremely big time and money investment risk--just happy to see that they are all still working together and NISA is still able to coax me into splitting my paychecks with their online store.

Yeah bad wording on my part, as far as I know it goes something like this:

The Atelier series is developed by their creative team in Japan, and over the years NISA had been getting the Japanese versions translated into English for Western audience members.

Then, sometime after Meruru, NISA stopped getting the translation rights and Tecmo Koei (Now known to us as Koei Tecmo) started doing all their own Western translations in-house, and thus also dropping the ball on cool Limited Special editions not to mention failure to include the already recorded Japanese audio tracks for the game, consequently also angering fans of the series, and killing interest in people like myself who really are honestly more obsessed with owning the games than simply just playing them.

Some other games happened since then, and I do think they may have also improved their in-house Western localizations, however there are some RPG fans who choose to live under rocks and when you see the series go back to NISA, you just feel better all around, both for the Atelier series and for NISA who originally took the risks at bringing these and other Gust, Idea Factory, Compile Heart, and other obscure JP developed software to the West.

I'm not faulting either party--business is business and you have to think about your employees and be able to keep them happy and paid as well, I am sure localizing obscure foreign video games is always an extremely big time and money investment risk--just happy to see that they are all still working together and NISA is still able to coax me into splitting my paychecks with their online store.
Not exactly. Gust used to be an independent company until they were brought by Tecmo Koei.

Not exactly. Gust used to be an independent company until they were brought by Tecmo Koei.
Ohhhh, I see. So Gust was acquired by Koei Tecmo sometime after Meruru, and also the probable explanation as to why many games bypassed NISA.

Thanks for pointing this out--so previously Gust and IF never really had a US localization option so they supposedly contracted through NISA--but KT thought they could improve their return on these localization investments by just doing the translations themselves, which, again, from a business standpoint I really can't blame either party, but I do know that I personally also prefer consistency, especially when it comes to limited editions and products in-series.

They removed the audio from the punishment minigame/scenes and added more fog to them to make it less naughty or something. I wasn't really interested in the game in the first place. Especially after I watched a gameplay video and saw how terrible the dungeon crawling actually is.
Blea.. well thats very disappointing. I most definitely will NOT be doing my usual 2 LE copy purchase. Actually i need to sit and think if i will just be flat out canceling the one i do have. Audio removal sucks but i may have been able to live with. Activly censoring images by adding 'fog' or strategically placed items or whatever is BS. Its not as bad as totally removing crap like they did with Mugen Souls, but its still censorship and its friggin dumb. *sigh* i dunno, should i cancel my order completely? Im not even sure if the game is my thing anyway. My backlogs so huge i rarely open these anyway its more of a collectors thing

If I go see a rated "R" movie, it's got violence, blood, sex, and possibily nudity. When I play my "M" rated games, I am not bothered by any of these things. I guess animated violence has just gotten worse than actual violence in movies. The same with sexual content. 50 Shades of Grey managed to get an R rating ... and so did the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am fully against NISA and their policy of censorship, though they could have just as easily gone they other way and said that they will leave games the way they are, but that would have eliminated more of their audience here I believe. I will continue to buy these localizations (because I have no choice), but I sincerely hope NISA goes out of business and XSEED picks it up instead or some other publisher that is more liberal to these type of things.
/clap Pretty much my thoughts on the subject entirely. I dont understand how games still seem to have their own seperate little rules for this kind of crap. In my state a 10 year old gets carded for buying a T rated game or anything like that, but they can go and buy a copy of Hostel with no issue.. wtf, seriously just, wtf!?

I honestly dont know why NISA keeps picking this stuff up if they keep mangling the releases. If you cant bring it over right, just pick something else. Theres tons of other rpgs and niche titles you can bring over. WHy keep grabbing ecchi crap and then butchering it? I really dont understand the point. Screw NISA

I thought this was deals discussion thread, but also while feeling the need to respond to above post is necessary, I will try to also stay on subject and respond in a manner reflecting on the "deals" side of thing, and whether or not it is worth a purchase.

First though, while the movie to video game comparison seems logical enough, is it really fair to compare the effort and resources required to take a foreign movie and add subtitles and try getting a profitable return over translating all the menu text and adding dubbed voiceovers and hoping for profitable return?

Secondly, how much satisfaction have you gotten from playing games localized from NISA in the past? Were you ever truly unhappy with your purchases?

Yes, I like all my products to be in their most natural and original forms as possible, however I also will understand when that may not be possible.

Everyone should reflect and ask themselves: did you honestly ENJOY all the perverted references that CFW Trick made to RAM and ROM in mk2? Again, I like the games, I like the companies, and I like original content, but there are things that just make me feel uncomfortable and I also find it impossible to argue on why that stuff needs to be included. I also am glad that Yakuza includes massage minigames, but I never even find myself at the massage parlor.

I'd like NISA to stay in business and I'd very much like to continue to play Disgaea and other games they are willing to take risks on bringing over to US.

Now, with introductions out of the way, you are just left with the answer to your original question, "Should I cancel my order completely?" No one can answer this for you. I can point out that Criminal Girls went on sale before hotL#niQ and hotl#niQ has dwindled stock much faster than hotL. Are you buying two copies for yourself, or for hopeful value gain? Just ask yourself why you are buying a game you are unsure about and if it is worth it to you. Are you going to sell your copy on eBay, hoping to turn a profit? Or, rather, are you the type of person that would pass on NISA's offer and then later possibly regret and buy a sealed version for your personal mueseum on eBay? If so, then how much would you be willing to pay on eBay for the version after NISA sells out?

Hopefully this will better help you determine the value of the product and what it means to you. If you still think you will be very upset playing Criminal Girls, then I will suggest to forgo the game, however arguing and jumping straight into "boycott forever" stance is not one I believe is going to benefit anyone: not me as a NISA supporter, not you as an ex-NISA supporter and what I assume to be a lover of JRPG and imports, and not for NISA. However, constructively adding feedback to the company on their webfourms is a good way to let them know what you actually want and what you would support in the future, however it just disrespectful toward NISA who do take many risks as a company and business to be so angry over something both so sexual and not-actually-sexual-really in nature.

I love NISA and I don't think I'd like them to be known as the first company that localized a Japanese game and received an AO rating that would also be featured on CNN Headline News as a shocktopic story.

You know our social standards in the West are changing, with sexuality and independence being forerunners in theme, but it is a slow process and one shock to parents and religious zealous in this country can set us back a decade.

So, in conclusion, I think it would be smart to separate the punishment minigame from the actual game and decision-making process, go to YouTube, see both for yourself on a Japanese version, and then decide if the actual gameplay is enough to warrant your support. Even in it's original form, there is nothing in the gameplay videos that really excites me either as a gamer or an adult, so I find that I am really not excited or interested in this game. However, like yourself, I, too, like to buy two LE copies when it comes to NISA (so since I can relate to that, is why I felt the need to put so much effort into this reply which I hope is not offending anyone to forcably trying to tell anyone to think differently), and Criminal Girls will be no different.

I think paying $103.98 for two sealed copies of Criminal Girls is much worth finding the product ends up selling on ebay at around $90+, however, I really believe Criminal Girls will not climb past $70, because I predict that this game will also not get the best of reviews or gameplay length, and thus can also share a lot of comparisons with Time and Eternity limited edition.

Hope this was helpful and overall nonoffensive, while also staying on the subject of the Japanese niche games deal thread topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back