Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
IF has clarified that cards will not be removed, but altered. They've also listed which ones.

What would really be nice is a view of all the listed cards. I want to know if they're just going after lolis or toning down anything sexual.

"Here is the list of Monster Girls whose images have been limited to that of their level 1, 2, or 3 evolution form due to the strong sexual nature of the card images: Vampire, Kraken, Goblin, Cockatrice, Kobold, Skeleton, Titania, Bahamut, Fia, Brownie, Pegasus, Mandragora, Mau Sibau, Rafflesia, Death Scorpion, Phantom, and Tengu."

http://www.destructoid.com/vita-card-game-monster-monpiece-comes-to-na-eu-269314.phtml

Whenever I try to google "Monster Monpiece x" where x is one of these cards I can't find much. Can anyone that's played the game comment on what kind of cards they are, or have links to images of them?
Here are some NSFW examples (Phantom/Rafflesia):

4ecT1YP.jpg

xqAyePd.jpg

Images super spoilered because they're way too lewd. You might turn into a pedophile if you look at them.

Edit: images changed to Phantom and Rafflesia.

Here's an example:

KT8e8qM.jpg

Image spoilered because it's way too lewd. You might turn into a pedophile if you look at it.
Damn you Dark_Sage! Turning us all into pervs. Now I have to register in any town I move to and confess to my neighbors. Why, oh why did I click on the spoiler tag???

Here's an example:

KT8e8qM.jpg

Image spoilered because it's way too lewd. You might turn into a pedophile if you look at it.
Are these two cards that were definitely listed, or just something that could be?

A little bit down this thread someone took pictures of some of the cards being listed as being censored.

I don't like the game being censored, but I'm not as rageface about it as some. I just want clarification to know how much impact it'll have.

In this thread down a ways someone posted some pictures from their game of some of the cards listed as being removed:

http://forum.ideafintl.com/post/monster-monpiece-censored-and-family-friendly-6600579?trail=150

So you're arguing that all translation/localization/change is censorship? I'm not sure what meaningful discussion can be had with someone who holds that view.
I would say the same about someone who is so busy launching personal crusades to oppose the censorship of pedo imagery that they don't realize that everything they have ever purchased that has been localized for US sale has been modified or censored in some manner. To me there is no practical difference between a translator doing a bad job or intentionally changing text so that it no longer has the original meaning and covering or replacing visual images in a game. Both are modifications of the creator's original vision and are forms of censorship. As a game consumer who is unwilling to learn Japanese, I am perfectly happy to accept localized games and frankly, as a parent, I am happy that pedo imagery is altered when a game is released here.

I would say the same about someone who is so busy launching personal crusades to oppose the censorship of pedo imagery that they don't realize that everything they have ever purchased that has been localized for US sale has been modified or censored in some manner. To me there is no practical difference between a translator doing a bad job or intentionally changing text so that it no longer has the original meaning and covering or replacing visual images in a game. Both are modifications of the creator's original vision and are forms of censorship. As a game consumer who is unwilling to learn Japanese, I am perfectly happy to accept localized games and frankly, as a parent, I am happy that pedo imagery is altered when a game is released here.
Brilliant post. So tell me, what about Rafflesia makes you want to be a pedophile?

Man, it sure is a good thing that the past 10 years of uncensored SMT games don't exist. Companies have the option to censor, some don't, including one of the big guys of this market in Atlus. Complaining is perfectly fine there.

Man, it sure is a good thing that the past 10 years of uncensored SMT games don't exist. Companies have the option to censor, some don't, including one of the big guys of this market in Atlus. Complaining is perfectly fine there.
Actually, many of the SMT games were censored on the Japanese side as a result of CERO regulations. Atlus could have uncensored the games but chose not to do so.

Atlus gave both sides the same content. Nothing censored on Japan's end that we got and I think the only instance where they stepped in to change something was when Hitler came up. Everything else, no matter how sexual, was fine. Monster vag with teeth, giant dick on a chariot, or multi-breast humanoid (all... however many of these)? No problem. SJ even has some of those in major quests or unavoidable spots.

You can also look at xseed - Senran Kagura Burst was uncensored. CERO has nothing to do with it here because what's being asked for is the same product, not something arbitrarily done censorship. Fact is we've got games, multiple games from the two big studios at that, where things just... aren't touched. Idea Factory and NIS are doing it one way, Atlus and xseed are doing it another. Though NIS seems to vary by the season I guess.

Atlus gave both sides the same content. Nothing censored on Japan's end that we got and I think the only instance where they stepped in to change something was when Hitler came up. Everything else, no matter how sexual, was fine. Monster vag with teeth, giant dick on a chariot, or multi-breast humanoid (all... however many of these)? No problem. SJ even has some of those in major quests or unavoidable spots.

You can also look at xseed - Senran Kagura Burst was uncensored. CERO has nothing to do with it here because what's being asked for is the same product, not something arbitrarily done censorship. Fact is we've got games, multiple games from the two big studios at that, where things just... aren't touched. Idea Factory and NIS are doing it one way, Atlus and xseed are doing it another. Though NIS seems to vary by the season I guess.
i am surprised they did not censor the amazon from dragons crown. LOL

The Hitler changes were censorship and were done as a result of CERO. Just because both regions got the same thing doesn't mean it wasn't censored. What was originally submitted to the rating authority and intended by the creators of the game to be the final version was censored in response to the CERO requirements. I just find it funny that every time this censorship debate comes up, people want to proclaim that censorship can never stand and yet they fail to acknowledge that every modern game is censored whether that's at the developer level or at the publisher level or at the rating board level or as a result of retailer pressure or the laws and social pressures of particular countries. I'm just not sure why people get so up in arms about sexual censorship (especially sexual depiction of children for which there is no valid argument in favor) but have no problem with all the other censorship that occurs on games they own.

The Hitler changes were censorship and were done as a result of CERO. Just because both regions got the same thing doesn't mean it wasn't censored. What was originally submitted to the rating authority and intended by the creators of the game to be the final version was censored in response to the CERO requirements. I just find it funny that every time this censorship debate comes up, people want to proclaim that censorship can never stand and yet they fail to acknowledge that every modern game is censored whether that's at the developer level or at the publisher level or at the rating board level or as a result of retailer pressure or the laws and social pressures of particular countries. I'm just not sure why people get so up in arms about sexual censorship (especially sexual depiction of children for which there is no valid argument in favor) but have no problem with all the other censorship that occurs on games they own.
Because it's not actually as widespread as you're saying. At least meet most people on the use of the term "censorship". We're using it in the sense of removing or obscuring content from one country's releases to potentially please another country's cultural sensibilities. Self-censorship is entirely unrelated to this discussion.

If you can agree to discuss things within that necessary term confinement, we can actually come to a meaningful understanding. But if you just want to call people pedophiles who hypocritically support the censorship known as :translation:, then we aren't going to get anywhere.

Because it's not actually as widespread as you're saying. At least meet most people on the use of the term "censorship". We're using it in the sense of removing or obscuring content from one country's releases to potentially please another country's cultural sensibilities. Self-censorship is entirely unrelated to this discussion.

If you can agree to discuss things within that necessary term confinement, we can actually come to a meaningful understanding. But if you just want to call people pedophiles who hypocritically support the censorship known as :translation:, then we aren't going to get anywhere.
First of all, I never called anyone a pedophile. I simply stated that the only time it appears that this issue comes up on the various discussion boards I frequent, including this one, is when the thing being censored is sexualization of the under age.

I'm not going to agree to your narrowly phrased interpretation of censorship as that is not in fact how organizations fighting against censorship as their core mission define it. The ACLU defines censorship as the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive". The removal of Hitler and other Nazi related imagery was censorship pure and simple. The fact that both regions got equally censored versions of the game doesn't change that fact. Similarly, just because the censorship occurs before the public knows about it as a result of decisions at the publisher, ratings board, retailer or other level shouldn't make it any less of an issue if your concern really is censorship.

First of all, I never called anyone a pedophile. I simply stated that the only time it appears that this issue comes up on the various discussion boards I frequent, including this one, is when the thing being censored is sexualization of the under age.

I'm not going to agree to your narrowly phrased interpretation of censorship as that is not in fact how organizations fighting against censorship as their core mission define it. The ACLU defines censorship as the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive". The removal of Hitler and other Nazi related imagery was censorship pure and simple. The fact that both regions got equally censored versions of the game doesn't change that fact. Similarly, just because the censorship occurs before the public knows about it as a result of decisions at the publisher, ratings board, retailer or other level shouldn't make it any less of an issue if your concern really is censorship.
That's because you frequent American boards, and sexuality is taboo in American society. If you visited European boards, the conversation would be about violence censorship.

You're throwing out as many strawmen as possible because your argument boils down to "censorship is good because think of the children" and you really don't want to come to grips with the fact that that's the kind of person you've become. The current conversation is not based around what goes on in the backrooms of corporate environments when devs are making the games or whatever else you want to use to obscure the issue. It's about us getting a product that has been specifically censored for our region.

Are you capable of discussing the subject within that framing or are you just going to whine about how some Bubble Bobble devs wanted to put naked people in the game, but their manager said no?

I think it's best to just drop the convo since both parties are talking about different things. Obviously fans of games can't be like "hey guys, release that version of the game that you never released in any other region or else I won't buy it.. um yea!!!"

The situation most of us are taking about is taking an already established version of the game and changing it. Considering the thread you're posting in, this is usually done during the localization process. Localization of text is not suppression of words for the most part, unless specifically stated that they 'toned' dialogue down, etc. (Mugen Souls Sadist personality). Nothing gets a direct localization, as it usually just isn't even possible and sometimes won't even make sense or translate directly into another language.. so using that for your argument is pretty pointless. That's like saying I'm going to directly translate "el carro azul" directly into English.. that would be "the car blue" instead of "the blue car". This is a very simple example, but hopefully you get my point.

And many of us are also parents. If there is material I do not want my children to play, then I do some parenting and do not let them have access to said material. I don't expect the companies to parent for me. Parents who say stuff like that just come off as lazy people who do not want to do their job and be parents.

lol this reminds me of a big argument I got on another site months ago about censorship. I'm very adamant that most FCC and society bans on profanity should be lifted(barring racial hate words, they should always remain vulgar) but otherwise, we've gotten to the point where no one even knows why the word shit is offensive anymore. It's just another way to express the word "poop" but for some reason, using the former is SO OFFENSIVE OMG and not one person alive can tell you why. Just because! Society has just fallen into a comfort zone and accepted words as bad without even questioning why. The person that argued with me said I would make a horrible parent if I allowed my kid hear a couple f bombs. I lol @ these people.

I know that isn't what this is about, but it reminded me of that and I thought it was funny.

That's because you frequent American boards, and sexuality is taboo in American society. If you visited European boards, the conversation would be about violence censorship.

You're throwing out as many strawmen as possible because your argument boils down to "censorship is good because think of the children" and you really don't want to come to grips with the fact that that's the kind of person you've become. The current conversation is not based around what goes on in the backrooms of corporate environments when devs are making the games or whatever else you want to use to obscure the issue. It's about us getting a product that has been specifically censored for our region.

Are you capable of discussing the subject within that framing or are you just going to whine about how some Bubble Bobble devs wanted to put naked people in the game, but their manager said no?
First of all, I don't have to discuss anything with any framing that you have artificially constructed for your own purposes and to avoid the fact that your argument lacks merit. Furthermore, for someone who keeps complaining about my framing of the argument, you seem awfully anxious to expound some ridiculous generalizations. Societies are not monolithic and there are plenty of places in Europe and the United States and plenty of gamers in both of those areas that have issues with various forms of sexuality and violence.

At the end of the day, a good game is a good game and whether one region gets a slightly different visual or written depiction of a character or a story point has very little impact on my enjoyment of a good game. If I care that much about the source material, it's incumbent on me to learn the original language and culture and enjoy the game in that original form. Otherwise, I have a choice to purchase or not purchase the localized version of a game, most of which have censorship or modifications from the original version.

The current conversation is about the fact that I pointed out that you were being a hypocrite by focusing on this particular game and what appears to be one specific type of sexuality based censorship when there are plenty of other examples in games you most likely own and enjoy. Censorship exists in many different forms and frankly, until the government starts forcing game makers to make alterations to their games, I have no issue with publishers making this decision on their own and trying to appeal to American sensibilities and cultural norms. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The market will decide ultimately who has the stronger argument.

thank you for sharing the pics, i enjoy fan service but that was little extreme just for the sake of it.  if their was a NC 17 art book with those images an more! i would be all for it.

but for a video game that we want too promote an defend, as it freedom of choice don't censor it!  i disagree an feel it best too tone it down

also let keep thing civil, "tit for tat" because we disagree,  never ends well. let enjoy are niche games an move along .

The current conversation is about the fact that I pointed out that you were being a hypocrite by focusing on this particular game and what appears to be one specific type of sexuality based censorship when there are plenty of other examples in games you most likely own and enjoy. Censorship exists in many different forms and frankly, until the government starts forcing game makers to make alterations to their games, I have no issue with publishers making this decision on their own and trying to appeal to American sensibilities and cultural norms. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The market will decide ultimately who has the stronger argument.
While that's a fallacious argument, yes, I do tend to bitch about it whenever something comes up (Mugen Souls, for example). I care about free speech.

And sure, let's let the market decide whether this censored game fails or not. You're going to buy it to support their decision, right? I know jimmywolf will, considering the kind of content that's still in the game.

Hey Jimmy, here's some of the art that's still there, if you freaked out over Rafflesia:

http://echo5.web.fc2.com/mon-mon/card_img.html#img_show Make sure to unclick the Dragon checkbox to the left if you want to see all the images. It's NSFW, so just a heads up.

With my day-1 sale lost and your two sales gained, they're on track to record-high profits. Great business move, wouldn't you say?

Someone over at the Idea Factory International forums posted the image I (and I imagine many others) are looking for. It has all of the censored cards in their original form. Spoiler tagged, and should be considered NSFW.

0wbg.png

Personally, I'm relieved. This mostly tells me that they largely targeted the more explicit lolis (with a few exceptions). If this is the extent of the censorship/alteration, then I feel the game remains largely intact and will be purchasing it.

I do still generally disagree with altering someone's work to make it more acceptable. I definitely would've still played the game without the alteration and that would've been a nice option. I personally find the alterations preferable this time though, so I'm not swayed from a purchase.

In fact, I think that it still has so much fanservice that supporting will be more beneficial than not. I don't have much of a basis for this claim, but I still feel like this is more exposure than our culture is used to and can only help future games, if successful.

I wish Idea Factory luck! And I'm thankful they were upfront about this.

Man what. CERO had nothing to do with Hitler changes within the SMT-related series. Hell, they aren't even related to the issue of Idea Factory censoring the game and it's not even relevant to anything regarding changes to it because they have zero authority over releases in other regions anyway. Considering you actually took the Hitler bit as if anything was removed then it's gotta be either A) you don't know what you're talking about and don't realize that the SMT series, with all its religious overtones and nudity has been uncensored for over 10 years now when localized with a light (and strange) exception, B) don't realize that it's been this way for the most part until NIS and Idea Factory decided to censor stuff when they brought it over (after NIS had a good run of not censoring stuff), or C) are just trolling. 

as for the cards they took out, it seriously makes no sense. some of 'em are tamer than others they left in. it's.... pretty much a crapshoot to figure out what they did exactly. 

Someone over at the Idea Factory International forums posted the image I (and I imagine many others) are looking for. It has all of the censored cards in their original form. Spoiler tagged, and should be considered NSFW.

0wbg.png

Personally, I'm relieved. This mostly tells me that they largely targeted the more explicit lolis (with a few exceptions). If this is the extent of the censorship/alteration, then I feel the game remains largely intact and will be purchasing it.

I do still generally disagree with altering someone's work to make it more acceptable. I definitely would've still played the game without the alteration and that would've been a nice option. I personally find the alterations preferable this time though, so I'm not swayed from a purchase.

In fact, I think that it still has so much fanservice that supporting will be more beneficial than not. I don't have much of a basis for this claim, but I still feel like this is more exposure than our culture is used to and can only help future games, if successful.

I wish Idea Factory luck! And I'm thankful they were upfront about this.
I'm a little sad they took out cockatrice. It's cute, and not that explicit.

Man what. CERO had nothing to do with Hitler changes within the SMT-related series. Hell, they aren't even related to the issue of Idea Factory censoring the game and it's not even relevant to anything regarding changes to it because they have zero authority over releases in other regions anyway. Considering you actually took the Hitler bit as if anything was removed then it's gotta be either A) you don't know what you're talking about and don't realize that the SMT series, with all its religious overtones and nudity has been uncensored for over 10 years now when localized with a light (and strange) exception, B) don't realize that it's been this way for the most part until NIS and Idea Factory decided to censor stuff when they brought it over (after NIS had a good run of not censoring stuff), or C) are just trolling.

as for the cards they took out, it seriously makes no sense. some of 'em are tamer than others they left in. it's.... pretty much a crapshoot to figure out what they did exactly.
Source? Every source I have seen on the subject indicates that the reason Hitler's name was changed and the Nazi imagery was edited was to comply with the changes to CERO requirements. While that would have had no impact on the US release, my understanding is that they simply decided to keep the censorship in both versions. So, no, I'm not trolling and if you have a factual source for your claim that this wasn't censorship, please provide it.

I'm very adamant that most FCC and society bans on profanity should be lifted(barring racial hate words, they should always remain vulgar)
Nah, fuck that. These are just words. They only have weight because we give them weight. Censorship is moronic, but the handcuffing of our language is one of my biggest problems with it. Bleeps, blanks, and shaq-fus just make these "bad" words stick out even more and bring even more attention to something that we're supposedly pretending don't even exist. Protecting children is a moot point because teaching kids not to do or say something just makes them want to do and say that even more. Not to mention that by the time you're imposing these holier than thou regulations the majority of children have heard it all and much worse already.

It's a bullshit culture of false superiority we've built for ourselves with hypocrites gingerly tossing stones at each other from their delicate glass houses.

I won't miss them. I like flirty more than explicit anyway.

Tengu doesn't look bad.
Same. I was pretty determined to import after hearing "CENSORSHIP ERMAGERD", but now that I've seen its reach my only remaining complaint is that it's digital only. To import just for a physical copy? Hmm... I'm doing it with Senran Kagura Burst already. May as well. :p

Kraken looks pretty innocent too, I'm not happy about censorship, but will gladly play it when it comes out. Bunch of prudes overall....
Keep in mind that the cards aren't being cut out, but the art is being restricted to an earlier stage. Kraken for example is in here somewhere, and you can see what the earlier stages are like. MUCH better than them cutting cards out completely.

http://imgur.com/a/zhdPb

Edit: Actually, I can't find Kraken in this sample of images. I could've overlooked it though... I was always really bad at those word search sheets in school the substitute teachers always passed around.

From someone that's played Monster Monpiece, does it have microtransactions like mobile phone card battlers? Or do you buy everything with in-game currency basically since it was a full price game?

I promise I'll stop spamming this thread about Mon-Mon soon. x_x
Not yet
..But soon

So EU PSN has a big FF sale going right now. Hopefully we'll get the same sale soonish. Though we still don't have the anniversary editions of FF1 and FF2, which blows. I'd buy both if they were available. :(

Well - I dunno about you pedobears, but I am actually glad about this censorship. I don't need half naked loli cards being "rubbed" on my VITA.
If this game would have turned you into a pedophile otherwise, you have more problems than your signature has led me to believe.

Guys, please focus more on the deals/games themselves and stop arguing over things like censorship.

Thanks.
This thread hasn't had any deals for years, but all right.

Well - I dunno about you pedobears, but I am actually glad about this censorship. I don't need half naked loli cards being "rubbed" on my VITA.
Yeah, I'm not sure how I'd feel about having to do that. Especially if my fiance caught me doing it since I primarily play my PS Vita in the bathroom, lol.

If this game would have turned you into a pedophile otherwise, you have more problems than your signature has led me to believe.
Let's not turn this into a flame war, but nothing wrong with FFXIV:ARR. It is actually a fantastic MMO, just needs more content. GameInformer even rated it the best MMO this year. (Take that as far as you will.)

From someone that's played Monster Monpiece, does it have microtransactions like mobile phone card battlers? Or do you buy everything with in-game currency basically since it was a full price game?
I posted something earlier on it. You can have everything in the game, but the packs are shortcuts to grinding.

Are you censoring us?!

:D/
Uh-oh, better go voice your opinion on it on CAG's twitter.

Some Deception IV gameplay. So hype for this release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFaVKrIKKY0
Thanks for this. :)

My walmart has 2 new copies of Kingdom Hearts 3d at walamrt for $19.99 each. Do you think I should grab them? Seems like it's jumping in value

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back