Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona-4-arena-ultimax-playstation-3/5896008.p?id=1219172425074&skuId=5896008&st=persona%204%20arena%20ultimax&lp=1&cp=1

So Persona 4 Ultimax is up for Pre Order at Best Buy, and apparently Ken Amada from Persona 3 and Rise Kujikawa from Persona 4 are included as Playable Characters. If this is true....damn. So hyped to see how Rise plays. :lol:
SO TEMPTED--!

But I'm not paying $47.99 for a fighting game--even if it is Persona--when I got its predecessor for close to $20. :nottalking:

omg!!!!

Drakengard 3 up for preorder at bestbuy

F U Square enix, and DR
Bye-bye, Amazon preorder. :wave:

SO TEMPTED--!

But I'm not paying $47.99 for a fighting game--even if it is Persona--when I got its predecessor for close to $20. :nottalking:
I couldn't imagine waiting that long to buy a fighting game. Half the fun for me is being new when everyone else is so you can stand a fighting chance and learn easier, otherwise its just constant ass kickings by dudes with 99% win ratio's or kids abusing some super ultra broken technique that was discovered too late to bother being patched.

Rise as a playable character in P4U? I dunno how that's gonna work at all. 

Plus the description says six new characters. I wonder who the last one is. I'm crossing my fingers for Koro, but I'm sure it's gonna be
Adachi

I am surprised. My conception II came undamaged in a bubble mailer, although a day late. I wish you can access the ability to grab the free DLC from the main menu though, not have to play however long it is to get to the part to grab it.

Yeah, Rise is definitely best girl, way too pretty.

Still, won't pick that up til it's under 25. Bought P4A at 20 bucks and only played it once.
I love me the Lovers Arcana. Once Persona 5 comes around, the Lovers Arcana will probably be my favorite too. :lol:

Rise as a playable character in P4U? I dunno how that's gonna work at all.

Plus the description says six new characters. I wonder who the last one is. I'm crossing my fingers for Koro, but I'm sure it's gonna be
Adachi
Maybe Rise learned how to fight during the interim. Maybe she'll use a mic. :lol: I won't find it surprising if her Persona knows all the Dynes, since her Shadow kicked everyone's ass before.

Ken , Rise, Yukari, Junpei, Sho, and Persona Sho. That's already six. :lol: It'll be 7 with Adachi, since they hinted him at the end of the trailer. Need Minato! For the even 8!

Drakengard 3 up for preorder at bestbuy
With GCU, I wouldn't mind having the standard ver too. :D

I am surprised. My conception II came undamaged in a bubble mailer, although a day late. I wish you can access the ability to grab the free DLC from the main menu though, not have to play however long it is to get to the part to grab it.
Around ten minutes if you just started and about four minutes if you finished the demo. Such a long wait. :p

Dammit Square Enix. I have to change my mind again?! Getting it at Best Buy for GCU. :lol: Sorry Gamestop.

Edit: It'll be 39.99 with GCU. Add in free Expedited Shipping. And I think it's a deal. haha.
It hasn't been confirmed yet. But I like to believe Best Buy. Cause. I totally want to play as Rise. Now, only if the Persona 3 Protagonist can make a cameo, whether as Doppleganger Final Boss or as a Playable Character. It would be perfect. Since Adachi is hinted to be another Playable Character, why not make it even and have 8 new Characters? I'm hoping for too much. ><
I would buy it day one if I could play as the female protagonist from P3P.

So what's the verdict on Drakengard 3?  After looking up some Youtube videos, it seems like it has a very Dynasty Warriors gameplay.  I never played any other games in the series (other than Nier, which I hear has ties to this game), and since the story seems to be one of the stronger points in this game, would I have any trouble understanding it?  I do realize that it hasn't been released in US yet, but I'm hoping someone who's familiar with the Japanese version might have some answers for me.  

Thanks in advance!

So what's the verdict on Drakengard 3? After looking up some Youtube videos, it seems like it has a very Dynasty Warriors gameplay. I never played any other games in the series (other than Nier, which I hear has ties to this game), and since the story seems to be one of the stronger points in this game, would I have any trouble understanding it? I do realize that it hasn't been released in US yet, but I'm hoping someone who's familiar with the Japanese version might have some answers for me.

Thanks in advance!
Finished and platinumed the game. Very straight forward game. Only problem is the game doesn't give the full story. Youre required to play the dlcs, read the side story novels to get to full story of the game. It was made to be a...hardcore game or so it was called.

So what's the verdict on Drakengard 3? After looking up some Youtube videos, it seems like it has a very Dynasty Warriors gameplay. I never played any other games in the series (other than Nier, which I hear has ties to this game), and since the story seems to be one of the stronger points in this game, would I have any trouble understanding it? I do realize that it hasn't been released in US yet, but I'm hoping someone who's familiar with the Japanese version might have some answers for me.

Thanks in advance!
if you liked/ enjoyed nier, you will probably enjoy drakengard 3

Finished and platinumed the game. Very straight forward game. Only problem is the game doesn't give the full story. Youre required to play the dlcs, read the side story novels to get to full story of the game. It was made to be a...hardcore game or so it was called.
Holy cow you got the plat in a week! I got so bored of grinding and gameplay I just waited till the DLC came out to help with the last trophy.

I think the game was mainly to fill the gaps of questions left in the other drakengard games. This one revolves around Zero a lot, so like you said reading backstory and the novellas really gave more in depth story features.

@AR
On the gameplay note, I thinks the battle style has a more Drakengard feel than a Nier. Though id recommend playing the others, Drakengard 3 is supposed to be a prequel so you shouod be ok.

NIER was very much the same way in that it forced you to play through all the endings--though subsequent playthroughs were shorter; and you really needed to read the Japanese guide book--that was translated, thankfully--to get what is essentially the final ending. Without jumping through those hoops, you have not experienced the story. It's not the type of thing where you just beat it, and that's that. I mean, it's an incredibly deep and fulfilling story, but they make you work for it.

Holy cow you got the plat in a week! I got so bored of grinding and gameplay I just waited till the DLC came out to help with the last trophy.

I think the game was mainly to fill the gaps of questions left in the other drakengard games. This one revolves around Zero a lot, so like you said reading backstory and the novellas really gave more in depth story features.

@AR
On the gameplay note, I thinks the battle style has a more Drakengard feel than a Nier. Though id recommend playing the others, Drakengard 3 is supposed to be a prequel so you shouod be ok.
The game was pretty short. I played around 2-4 hours a day to finish all trophies. The only long trophy was the grinding trophy to grind enough money to max out all weapon levels which took a total of maybe 4-5 hours. When I was up to that trophy, I reduced it down to 1H~ playtime a day because it was SO boring. I heard some people struggled to get the Ending D trophy, spending days to get it. I just synced my game to a youtube video that showed me when to press a button so that took me maybe 30~ minutes.

Interesting.  Thanks for the responses everyone.  I'll look into the game a bit more, but I'm leaning towards getting it now.  Seems like an interesting game with a rewarding story (which I always like).  I enjoyed Nier immensely.  Doesn't hurt now that Best Buy carries it, I can apply my GCU account towards it and get 20% off.  

I tried to pick up both the Vita and 3DS version that I had preordered at Gamestop tonight and of the 4 Vita and 2 3DS copies they received, all of them were crushed and badly creased. Needless to say, I decided not to buy my copies. Very disappointed in Atlus for providing a very crappy outer box and Gamestop for shipping fragile goods with other items that damaged them.
How the fuck can you be dissapointed in atlus for the box? You didnt pay extra for the box or the cd because they were first wave bonuses FREE.

I bet if they didnt give them then you'd probablly bitch about not getting a box and CD as a bonus like a lot of their titles for free.

Blame the person who packed it where you bought it from because the actual game box had nothing to do with it as mine showed up in perfect shape because it was from amazon and shipped in a box.

How the fuck can you be dissapointed in atlus for the box? You didnt pay extra for the box or the cd because they were first wave bonuses FREE.

I bet if they didnt give them then you'd probablly bitch about not getting a box and CD as a bonus like a lot of their titles for free.

Blame the person who packed it where you bought it from because the actual game box had nothing to do with it as mine showed up in perfect shape because it was from amazon and shipped in a box.
The quality of the box is thinner and less rigid than the boxes they have used previously for similar CD/game packages. This seems to be a trend with niche publishers like Atlus and NIS and others lately to save a few cents on manufacturing and shipping costs by using lighter and thinner boxes. It's a problem because many retailers either bulk ship units with other items like Gamestop does or use bubble envelopes for smaller, lighter items. So yes, Atlus is partially to blame, but I agree with you that the bulk of the blame goes to Gamestop.

If they didn't give a CD or box, I wouldn't complain, but I also wouldn't bother to buy their games at release. I would simply wait for the inevitable price drop, especially on a game like this that is unlikely to sell out and has received less than stellar reviews.

It's nice that Amazon ships to you in boxes, but several other CAGs reported that Best Buy and Amazon did not and they got damaged copies. I was lucky that the local indie game retailer got copies in that were in perfect shape, so I was able to purchase copies there. I do have to say that even the game shop commented on how flimsy Atlus' boxes had become and he is a fellow collector and long-time Atlus fan.

It's a cheap box for Conception 2 compared to the similar Etrian Odyssey 4, Untold Legend and Soul Hackers box which was made of a better thicker cardboard. I got the Vita version and I would say it compares similarly to the box of Sorcery Saga which had a terribly thin box for its CE. 

I know this is more of a jrpg group than general rpg but just letting everyone know, Skyrim Goty edition is 16$ at toys rus.
That's a good deal, especially if that's for the 360 and PS3 versions of Skyrim GOTYE. I paid like $30 for my copy during Black Friday, hope this sale lasts into next week and I might get the 360 version.

@Mr_hat

Free? Compared to a release without any bonuses, sure. But publishers don't print soundtracks and artbooks out of kindness... It's a cost-effective incentive to boost presales (reused assets and concept art). You pay a premium by purchasing at launch too. Doesn't take long for prices to drop.

Was going to grab  DEMON GAZE  BUT    i have an open slot at gamefly  

KEEP IT  29.99  I have 10 game fly bucks...  knock it down to 19.99    Then i was going to  upgrade to 2 at a time to play MARIO GOLF  it would cost me 3 bucks to upgrade so  k nock that  3 off... end up with the game for around 17  + tax 

so

16.99  NORMAL  or  49.99 for the  LE.... i think i got normal.

I received my Conception II: LE yesterday and it got to me in decent condition. The box was a little mashed and there were some crease lines, but all in all it wasn't anything to call and complain about. I suppose I'm of the lucky few.

I know nothing about Tales of Hearts because I assumed it would never get localized, so I didn't want to get my hopes up. Time for some learnin'! Lol

won't be surprised if Hearts is a GS exclusive (aside from maybe NB site) just like the 3DS One Piece game.

going by the vid (who else thought Baba was just some random otaku at first) I kinda expect a CE version as well.

Vita is becoming my #1 system of the year followed by 3DS then ps4 I guess....though ps3 may be getting more love than it...not counting pc of course. I mean this a niche game lovers year with for vita alone, Akiba strip game, danganronpa 2, tales of hearts R, Freedom game, Demon Gaze, Conception 2, Deception 4, that one piece game (though available lots of other places), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines,  Neptunia PP....just too good!!!! Glad I bought it last year when I could barely find stuff I wanted to play with it, exactly the opposite now!

So glad I bought a Vita in March. 

What a great year for Localizations. I look forward to next year already. 

Fairy Fencer F 9/23 NA Release, $39.99 [Disgaea 4 Vita - 8/12 ; Danganronpa 2 - 9/2]

http://atlus.com/sales/danganronpa2/atlus_danganronpa2_sellsheet.pdf

http://atlus.com/sales/disgaea4/atlus_disgaea4_sell_sheet_021214.pdf

http://atlus.com/sales/fairyfencer/atlus_fairy_fencer_sell_sheet.pdf

Fairy Fencer F is $39.99 and includes dual audio

:whee: I want all of these
Oh hell yeah, I've had my eye on Fairy Fencer F for several months now. Once I found out that Uematsu, Tsunako, and Amano were tied to the game, I was all in.

Fairy Fencer F 9/23 NA Release, $39.99 [Disgaea 4 Vita - 8/12 ; Danganronpa 2 - 9/2]

Getting them all easily. Since i'm supporting NISA i'm actually ok with passing on Mugen Souls Z right now (dang CE sell out already!!!! and stop tempting me!!!), I will easily buy the rest of the games. Also just a curiosity but why are these through atlus.com when they're all NISA games?

I'm getting all the Niche Releases this year and most likely next year. My god, this will be an expensive year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back