Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So anyone elses order delayed for hearts r?  seriously wtf I fricken preordered it a month from release and my order is delayed?  And how the f is it entering the shipping phase and won't ship for 10+ days.

Sony will refund a purchase within 7 days. I'm not sure under what conditions, but quite a few people have done it for mistaken purchases and the like (including me.)

Edit: FYI Valkyria Chronicles is available on the Humble Bundle store as well as Steam, in case you want to buy it from there instead. GMG is also the same price now, $17.99.

exactly why i got a 64, can keep more ps plus games on their, i dont buy digital either but when i have the physical copy and the digital goes on sale for 5-8$ i usually bite since i can trade the physical in for more so win win, though some of them i havent or wont go back to did help towards better purchases, biggest regret though, giving in the hype for sao, first full price purchase for digital, hate the game, cant play it, wish sony didnt werent such dicks about refunding, at least microsoft is usually cool enough to just credit your account
This is why I typically avoid digital copies unless there's a massive discount. You don't own the game, you own a license.

Why can't you play it? You mean you don't like it? And Sony's a dick for not refunding you on a digital product? You sound like a kid. Grow up.
Yeah, grow up. Don't you dare complain about anti-consumer policies on a public forum.

Edit: FYI Valkyria Chronicles is available on the Humble Bundle store as well as Steam, in case you want to buy it from there instead. GMG is also the same price now, $17.99.
Are there any differences between the PC and PS3 version. Just played it recently, so unless there's a good reason to double dip I probably won't be picking this up.

So anyone elses order delayed for hearts r? seriously wtf I fricken preordered it a month from release and my order is delayed? And how the f is it entering the shipping phase and won't ship for 10+ days.
Mine still just says open. The game doesn't come out though till the 11th and with it being the weekend, maybe it will show a proper shipping date on Mon/Tue?

How would Sony/MS even do a return for digital games without the console having always on-line DRM (which is the ultimate anti-consumer policy)?

The Valkyria Chronicles PC port has 60 FPS, 1080 and up resolutions, and all the DLC included though not sure that's worth buying if you've just finished game. Can always wait for the next big sale.

This is why I typically avoid digital copies unless there's a massive discount. You don't own the game, you own a license.

Yeah, grow up. Don't you dare complain about anti-consumer policies on a public forum.
How is it anti-consumer? You know, if you bought a physical copy of the game in a store, you won't be able to refund it at most stores once you've opened it. Is that "owning a license"? You're only able to return used games because even if you play it, it's still used when the store gets it back! Shocker, I know! I feel like people born after the Internet existed are not able to think critically.

Sounds like you've been trained well. Can you explain how non-refundable digital products are good for the consumer?
If you're being serious, think about your question again. How would Sony or Microsoft remove the game from your system after you've downloaded it? They can unattach it from your account so that you won't be able to download it again, but once I've paid for the digital game, I can play it to my heart's content.

How is it anti-consumer? You know, if you bought a physical copy of the game in a store, you won't be able to refund it at most stores once you've opened it. Is that "owning a license"? You're only able to return used games because even if you play it, it's still used when the store gets it back! Shocker, I know! I feel like people born after the Internet existed are not able to think critically.

If you're being serious, think about your question again. How would Sony or Microsoft remove the game from your system after you've downloaded it? They can unattach it from your account so that you won't be able to download it again, but once I've paid for the digital game, I can play it to my heart's content.
Deactivate the game using DRM. Enough to deter casual users.

-Buy physical game

-Beat physical game

-Trade in physical game for store credit or sell it third-party (eBay, Craigslist, friends, etc.), possibly to fund more games

-Buy digital game

-Beat digital game

I think the only difference is the ps4 is running at 1080p while the ps3 will run at 720p. Both will be 60 fps as far as I could tell.
So is that the only difference between the PS3 and PS4 version of GGXrd? Hmm may just get ps3 probably then if thats the case. PS4 HDDS arent reallly that big, and im assuming the PS4 version has a manditory install like every other ps4 game. Still may be nice to pay in the higher rez. You guys think the PS4 or PS3 LE will be rarer? I should get at least one LE

Hyperdevotion Noire *is* an SRPG, and since it doesn't release until 2/24/15, I think there's still a chance for Best Buy to add an online listing for it before then. They have pages for Re;Birth1 and Re;Birth2, so that's a good sign.
hope so! would love to save 20%. I'll probably throw $5 at GS soon just in case

-Buy physical game

-Beat physical game

-Trade in physical game for store credit or sell it third-party (eBay, Craigslist, friends, etc.), possibly to fund more games

-Buy digital game

-Beat digital game

I kind of assumed this is the reason PCDD games are usually a little cheaper than console versions.

Have you ever heard of ebay or amazon or are you just pretending to be retarded?

Yes, that would have worked a decade ago when the PS3 was under development. How can you introduce DRM to the system now when the backbone is already in place?
This guy deserves an Academy Award, what a stunning performance.

Deactivate the game using DRM. Enough to deter casual users.
That and what if your HDD gets corrupted and you need to reformat? In his theory, you wouldn't be able to download it again. With physical copies, even if your system breaks and no matter what happens to any of your accounts, you can always play the game as long as you keep the disc.

How would Sony/MS even do a return for digital games without the console having always on-line DRM (which is the ultimate anti-consumer policy)?
Because building a positive image is generally worth those few potential lost sales. Also, you know, it's generally not a good idea to assume that the customer is going to be a thief. Especially when that digital copy costs practically no overhead.

Think about how much money various online vendors lose by simply offering free returns or exchanges on physical goods. Even RMA issues often turn out to be false or because the buyer misunderstands a feature of the product. Places like Amazon are well loved because they go the extra mile, which means that some people are willing to spend a bit more for that assurance (I know I have).

If we're talking about a little shop, then it's certainly understandable why they wouldn't accept buyer's remorse without a penalty (i.e. most eBay re/sellers). But large corporations can easily write off these costs because most people aren't scummy douchebags trying to cheat them. I guess companies with a monopoly over their services can do whatever they like without much recourse, but remember that Microsoft and Sony are still competitors in many regards, even if they completely monopolize their own digital stores.

If you want to see the future of digital-only platforms, you should pay attention to how the PC market has evolved. Several months ago, Origin launched their "great games guarantee" or whatever it's called, which means that you can return a game that you end up disliking for whatever reason within 24hrs of launching it - no questions asked. A few weeks later, GOG launched a slightly different policy. And as we all know, Steam is still as bad as ever (in relation to customer service and returns) thanks to its stranglehold on the market.

Theoretically, any difital game could easily be rendered unplayable, or even essentially deleted through a patch. I can't imagine they'd do that, and I have to imagine it'd be illegal, but I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

The way I look at it, by the time you have to worry about some authentication server going down, piracy will have advanced to a stage that it won't even matter. PS3 has reached the emulation stage, Xbox 360 has proof of concept emulation, and Wii was broken minutes after release. Also, if they ever bring backwards compatibility to the PS4, suddenly there's a whole game collection ready to be played.

Hyperdimension Neptunia PP isn't all that good by the way. You're playing Idolm@ster with 5 songs and the girls are all game companies. 

Have you ever heard of ebay or amazon or are you just pretending to be retarded?

This guy deserves an Academy Award, what a stunning performance.
Read your original post again. You were saying that digital games were anti-consumer - that implies that there are unfriendly laws or store policies to the consumer. Best Buy not taking an opened game back and Sony not taking a digital game back is the same policy. Neither is more anti-consumer than the other. The fact that you can sell physical games is irrelevant and has nothing to do with being pro or anti-consumer - you can sell anything physical. Would you be able to refund it after playing it? Of course not.

When Ford cars were originally built, they were deliberately designed not to last long. Now that really is anti-consumer. "Anti-consumer" is a term that implies there is deliberate screwing over of the consumer. Maybe that's not what you meant, but you didn't articulate your thoughts well. Plenty of people say "switch and bait" in a situation that's not the case, and that's what you're doing here.

On the flip side, if you didn't open the game you DO have a limited window to return it. There's no such system in place for digital returns.

One is constrained by keeping retailers happy and being able to sell the product after return. The other is constrained by terms of use / license agreements, and wants to make sure it isn't abused. [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]I think they're different enough that they can't quite be compared apples to apples. [/SIZE]

On a lighter note, has anyone bought a Japanese vita before - if so what color? Seems Nippon-Yasan has the best prices unless I import from amazon Japan with tenso

The vitas are not region locked right? I'm thinking of importing, for my first vita, a vita from japan to use. Any reason not to and whay not? Thanks! I'm getting more into jrpgs and other niche games and am planning to get a ps3 come black friday. Still working on tales of vesperia for xbox 360 and hope they release some jrpgs for xbox one as well as most of my ftiends had it. Sadly a lot of the niche games are to be played on sony consoles. My wallet is going to hurt haha

The vitas are not region locked right? I'm thinking of importing, for my first vita, a vita from japan to use. Any reason not to and whay not? Thanks! I'm getting more into jrpgs and other niche games and am planning to get a ps3 come black friday. Still working on tales of vesperia for xbox 360 and hope they release some jrpgs for xbox one as well as most of my ftiends had it. Sadly a lot of the niche games are to be played on sony consoles. My wallet is going to hurt haha
Vita's are not region locked but the japanese vita has the X and O buttons reversed for selecting thing in the OS. The buttons will be normal if you are playing US games though.

Correct region free. My original vita broke (my fault) so I figured I'd get a cool colored one! Only thing different is the functionality of X and O are switched - same positions on the device, just X goes back and O confirms like nintendo systems. Superufo is even cheaper than nippon-yasan I realized

I've been wanting to jump on the atelier series. What's the timeline of the games and in which order should I buy/play them? The same could be said for the Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Also, is it me or is Amazon not carrying Tales of Heart R for pre-order all I see is the is the Jap import, where are you guys ordering yours?

Tales of Hearts R has been announced as a Gamestop exclusive for months now. Though I think you could order it from namco bandai's site too. There's another site I know that is supposedly selling it too, but they list their release date as November 14 instead of the November 11.

I've been wanting to jump on the atelier series. What's the timeline of the games and in which order should I buy/play them? The same could be said for the Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Also, is it me or is Amazon not carrying Tales of Heart R for pre-order all I see is the is the Jap import, where are you guys ordering yours?

Atelier you want to play by trilogy. Arland is Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru then the next series "Dusk" is Ayesha -> Escha & Logy -> Shallie. While technically both should be played in order, it's not absolutely necessary. They are not tied closely enough for it to matter unless you're big on that kind of thing, however you will get returning characters and in some cases the main character of the previous game(s) appearing in the title (I do recommend playing them in order though). I recommend the Plus versions if at all possible, which include all of the DLC and other improved aspects over the originals. This is especially true for Rorona. That shit was slow and and put me to sleep when I first played it.

As for Tales of Hearts R, it's a "Gamestop" exclusive. However you can buy it from Namco-Bandai or PSN site as well.

EDIT: Forgot about Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Anyways, HN is more self-contained stories. Their stories operate in a parallel or alternate universe. Their remakes are designated by the word Re;birth in the title are not the same exact story as the original game either. However the Re;birth boasts much better gameplay than the game it is a remake of. The order they released in was HN (Re-birth 1) -> HN Mk2 (Re-Birth 2) -> HN Victory (Re-birth 3). Re-birth 2 isn't out here yet and Re-birth 3 isn't out in Japan yet.

I will warn you that the gameplay in the original Hyperdimension Neptunia is quite slow and I could never finish it because of it. I don't remember Mk2 well enough to comment, but Victory was much better.

EDIT 2: Fixed typos.

Regarding Neptunia, you could do the ps3 trilogy or the improved rebirth series on vita - although HDN 1 on ps3 is very rough. I gave up and waited for rebirth, which is great. I may go play the ps3 mk2 and victory as those are what rebirth is based on.

Totally forgot Hearts was coming out Tuesday till I got a text from Gamestop today
I was glad that Ivy called me, because I'd forgotten about it as well. Now I can play Tales of Hearts Tuesday while watching the '66 Batman series on blu ray in the background. Surely the two will blend together seamlessly.

I don't have a Vita but I'm getting ToH R regardless.  Need more Tales in the US.  I did the same with Vesperia.  Matter of fact, it's still unopened and sitting my shelf.  I'll get a Vita eventually.

It does matter what order you play the arland trilogy as atelier meruru spoils atelier totori as an example.

Starting game wise ayesha and totori are the more beginner friendly games in the series so they are usually the go to games. atelier series wise of the ones available in english theres the Iris trilogy and mana khemia duology on the ps2, annie on the ds, the arland trilogy for ps3 and vita and lastly the current dusk trilogy for ps3 and soon vita. Mana khemia is considered the best gameplay wise. However atelier isn't really about combat so playing that would get your hopes up likely.

If you decide to play the arland trilogy first Its recommended to skip the first version of rorona and get the enhanced plus version since the original is considered pretty terrible.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/11/09/hyperdimension-neptunia-poll-to-decide-game-heroine

Idk if this is legit or not, seems like a very loose way of deciding the theme for a game. Hyperdimension Neptunia creators are deciding the next heroine for their next Hyperdevotion game after the Noire one, and so we vote for the character to be in the game.

My favorite character is Noire, but since she already has a game, I'd like to see either Uni or Blanc, maybe Plutia.

Hooray!!!! More Gamessss!!!!

tumblr_n9h3f5jKao1tdjce4o6_1280.jpg

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/11/09/hyperdimension-neptunia-poll-to-decide-game-heroine

Idk if this is legit or not, seems like a very loose way of deciding the theme for a game. Hyperdimension Neptunia creators are deciding the next heroine for their next Hyperdevotion game after the Noire one, and so we vote for the character to be in the game.

My favorite character is Noire, but since she already has a game, I'd like to see either Uni or Blanc, maybe Plutia.

I voted for Vert. I haven't played any of these games yet, but I thought she was the best looking one.

The Valkyria Chronicles PC port has 60 FPS, 1080 and up resolutions, and all the DLC included though not sure that's worth buying if you've just finished game. Can always wait for the next big sale.
Well I never played the DLC, so maybe I'll pick it up during a steam sale. Thanks for the info.

Definitely voting for Plutia. Hearing her cute voice reminds me of Sophie from Graces F (for obvious reasons), who is also just the cutest.

i see that crunchy has got you drumming business for them, good job supporting evil empire

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back