Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still sorta surprised they don't do pre-orders before localization. Like have it on their website different localization "projects" with a target revenue goal in mind. If enough people pre-order then they start the process of localizing it. Sure it may take a year or two but there's people out there that still do kickstarter
I would love to see this trend take off. I love the Kickstarter model. Backing game projects on Kickstarter (which hasn't been that many for me since I'll only back console/handheld games with physical copies) really makes you feel like more a part of the process as well, which just serves to further promote customer engagement.

it still baffles me why sword art online, didn't get a physical release. the anime/manga sale is actually pretty good in the US. i wonder what is the sales number for the sword art online game. i also don't see yakuza 5 doing well with the digital release.
Not sure on SAO. Yakuza 5 will probably do pretty well. Digital-only does a ton to lower costs of a game, so digital should make it quite a bit more profitable especially since they recently threw Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls up there. Hoping they add 3 soon as well.

From a studio standpoint they get money off every digital sale versus the used game market that totally guts their profitability. It's a good decision from their perspective. I would much, much rather games come over digital-only than not come over at all.

don't forget time and eternity
We were listing Vita games. That's PS3 only.

Not sure on SAO. Yakuza 5 will probably do pretty well. Digital-only does a ton to lower costs of a game, so digital should make it quite a bit more profitable especially since they recently threw Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls up there. Hoping they add 3 soon as well.

From a studio standpoint they get money off every digital sale versus the used game market that totally guts their profitability. It's a good decision from their perspective. I would much, much rather games come over digital-only than not come over at all.

We were listing Vita games. That's PS3 only.
From what I can find, it looks like Sword Art Online was the best selling digital game on PSN NA/EU for August and September. The combines sales have been 350-400,000 copies sold worldwide. I suppose that was good enough for them to localize Sword Art Online: Lost Song for a release date of March 15th in Japan, and probably another NA/EU Summer release. I'll more than likely get the Asian physical version with the Engrish translations again since it seems to already be available for pre-order at Play-Asia (April 15 release date.)

Damn double post.

Well...speaking of Engrish...

Bad_subs_Code_Geass_Moti_Posters-s600x480-54570-580.jpg

Who is more likely to destroy the collector's edition for FF Type 0 - Amazon or whoever Sqeenix is using? ._.

It's also up on Gamestop.com, but for $10 more?!

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-collectors-edition/119273

I wish GS would carry it in-store.
Pepita, who Square Enix is using, is more likely to destroy it based on what others mentioned with KH 2.5 CE.

If you want to preorder from somewhere, go with Amazon. You won't be charged 7.99 for standard shipping and Amazon has way better customer service if something does go wrong.

It was mostly a joke. It went from some pretty top tier recommendations to his major drop in quality.
I initially took at as an insult, then remembered most of the people on this thread are pretty good, quality people. I still like Sword Art Online, and Conception 2 was fun until I started going for the platinum. I've yet to really play Mind 0, or HN:pP. They were just the only other ones I could think of, lol.

I initially took at as an insult, then remembered most of the people on this thread are pretty good, quality people. I still like Sword Art Online, and Conception 2 was fun until I started going for the platinum. I've yet to really play Mind 0, or HN:pP. They were just the only other ones I could think of, lol.
Well, I'm really blunt, so I insult people even when I don't mean to (like this case). But let's take a look at the metacritic scores (obviously not the definitive answer, just to illustrate):

Persona 4 Golden - 93

Danganronpa - 80

Danganronpa 2 - 80

Neptunia Re;birth - 72

Project Diva f 2nd - 79

Ys: Memory of Celceta - 82

Muramasa Rebirth - 78

Soul Sacrifice Delta - 82

Demon Gaze - 70 (too low, imo)

All were 70+, with Re;birth and Demon Gaze being clearly on the bottom of the Metacritic list.

Then it got to yours:

Conception 2 - 62

Neptunia: PP - 54

Sword Art Online - 67

Mind Zero - 59

Nothing reaching 70 on Metacritic.

Like I said, wasn't trying to offend you personally; the general concensus pops into my head when I read through the list.

That said, I have a platinum in Conception 2, but I do note it's not the first dungeon crawler I'd recommend on the Vita. That goes to Demon Gaze, of course.

Great, we're back on topic to dented collector's editions again.

You guys need to realize that it's USPS and the other carriers that cause the damage most of the time.  Packaging practices are generally the same across Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Digital River, or whoever.   It's the people that throw them in the trucks from the regional distribution centers or the ones  that throw them in the trucks again at the local post office.  You obviously haven't spent any time at the post office and kept an eye on the employees working there.  They throw everything around.  Blame them, call and complain if you want.  Write letters if that will make you feel better.

The people complaining here are silly to blame the origin seller for their problems.  Most of us receive 90% of our stuff from any distributor with no problems at all.  We learn to live with the occasional problem because if you're not satisfied you can always return it. 

Everyone here gets sick of reading about your dented boxes.  And before you flame me, stop for a minute and consider that maybe you're the one who is wrong for getting mad over something so trivial, or constantly setting yourself up for disappointment when you already know how you're going to react.  Yeah, there's a good chance you're going to receive a product with an imperfect outer shell.  Just like everything at any retail store. People aren't going to stop ordering from these companies so learn to deal with it or quit buying.  Get over it. No one cares that you received a dented box or wants to hear about your OCD problems.

Well, I'm really blunt, so I insult people even when I don't mean to (like this case). But let's take a look at the metacritic scores (obviously not the definitive answer, just to illustrate):

Persona 4 Golden - 93

Danganronpa - 80

Danganronpa 2 - 80

Neptunia Re;birth - 72

Project Diva f 2nd - 79

Ys: Memory of Celceta - 82

Muramasa Rebirth - 78

Soul Sacrifice Delta - 82

Demon Gaze - 70 (too low, imo)

All were 70+, with Re;birth and Demon Gaze being clearly on the bottom of the Metacritic list.

Then it got to yours:

Conception 2 - 62

Neptunia: PP - 54

Sword Art Online - 67

Mind Zero - 59

Nothing reaching 70 on Metacritic.

Like I said, wasn't trying to offend you personally; the general concensus pops into my head when I read through the list.

That said, I have a platinum in Conception 2, but I do note it's not the first dungeon crawler I'd recommend on the Vita. That goes to Demon Gaze, of course.
No worries man. The best thing to do whenever you feel like you're insulted, the best thing to do it calm down and read the comment again. Like I said, it was the only games I could think of after the others mentioned. I wouldn't recommend Conception 2 to most people mostly because of the "classmating" part. I made sure my fiance (now wife) never saw that part. I've played my fair share of mediocre to bad games and it was quite mediocre at best. I take a lot of metacritic score with a grain of salt, but I do take it into consideration among other sites. I am enjoying the hell out of Tales of Hearts R right now.

Great, we're back on topic to dented collector's editions again.

You guys need to realize that it's USPS and the other carriers that cause the damage most of the time. Packaging practices are generally the same across Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Digital River, or whoever. It's the people that throw them in the trucks from the regional distribution centers or the ones that throw them in the trucks again at the local post office. You obviously haven't spent any time at the post office and kept an eye on the employees working there. They throw everything around. Blame them, call and complain if you want. Write letters if that will make you feel better.
Uh, no. When Newegg puts Ragnarok Odyssey: Mercenary Edition in a bubble mailer 3 times, or when Amazon puts Cowboy Bebop Limited edition in a bubble mailer, or Target steelbooks in a polybag, it's on the retailer.

When the Agarest War: Boobie Mousepad edition gets damaged, I blamed Aksys for their poor packaging. Same situation with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

There's a reason CEs from Gamestop are rarely damaged. Because they don't toss a light cardboard CE in with the 20 lb dumbbell you ordered a month ago. Or put a Vita CE in a 20"x10"x5" box with a non-crumpled sheet of paper.

Yes, the shipping companies toss stuff around. But it's up to the shipper to protect items adequately. When I sell stuff, I make sure it's adequately protected. It shouldn't be that hard for retailers with an online focus to not do the same. We're not talking about cases where the USP delivery driver ran over your packages with his truck.

There's a reason CEs from Gamestop are rarely damaged. Because they don't toss a light cardboard CE in with the 20 lb dumbbell you ordered a month ago. Or put a Vita CE in a 20"x10"x5" box with a non-crumpled sheet of paper.
This made me chuckle. A couple months ago Amazon tossed my Senran Kagura LE in a box with a 25 lb car battery quick charger I had ordered.

I'd wait for BBY to carry it.
I should really consider GCU. I buy a lot of new games all year round and I don't intend to renew my Amazon prime that expires in January.

Are they reliable with every niche release? I hear stories about people's pre-orders not showing up and associates just kind of being like "I dunno" about it. Is this rare? Is it only in-store pre-orders that sometimes have problems?

I would probably have to ship anyway, so if the issues people have are typically in-store only then I could probably give it a go. None of the Best Buy stores around here are really convenient to get to in person.

I should really consider GCU. I buy a lot of new games all year round and I don't intend to renew my Amazon prime that expires in January.

Are they reliable with every niche release? I hear stories about people's pre-orders not showing up and associates just kind of being like "I dunno" about it. Is this rare? Is it only in-store pre-orders that sometimes have problems?

I would probably have to ship anyway, so if the issues people have are typically in-store only then I could probably give it a go. None of the Best Buy stores around here are really convenient to get to in person.
From what I remember, most of the issues have been people trying to order it in store via kiosk or having it ship to store. I think there's a different fullfillment method used if you ship it to home.

Yeah, Final Fantasy games tend to be carried regardless of the quality or enjoyment due to the popularity of the name and the franchise. Plus, we're going to buy it anyways.

well went to target today, they had a massive end cap of 20$ games, most i have never seen their before, found a new tekken tag wiiu and new sigma plus 2 vita, wasnt intereseted but their were multiple persona arena copies with the soundtrack their

Uh, no. When Newegg puts Ragnarok Odyssey: Mercenary Edition in a bubble mailer 3 times, or when Amazon puts Cowboy Bebop Limited edition in a bubble mailer, or Target steelbooks in a polybag, it's on the retailer.

When the Agarest War: Boobie Mousepad edition gets damaged, I blamed Aksys for their poor packaging. Same situation with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Yes, the shipping companies toss stuff around. But it's up to the shipper to protect items adequately. When I sell stuff, I make sure it's adequately protected. It shouldn't be that hard for retailers with an online focus to not do the same. We're not talking about cases where the USP delivery driver ran over your packages with his truck.
No, actually the problem is usually on you. You think you deserve the princess treatment while shopping at a discount retailer with free shipping. You know how Newegg works, they keep their prices low. You know that when you order a single game case from them that it's going to come in a bubble mailer. Have some accountability for your purchasing decision. Amazon would have shipped that same product in a small box.

You're right about that Cowboy Bebop being concerning since that should have come in a box. That seems strange since everything I have ordered from them about that size has come boxed. I have about eight of them sitting on my porch right now. There are always exceptions. But it either came in good condition or else you have the ability to return it.

Target is going to ship as efficiently as possible and the majority of those steelbooks are still going to arrive in excellent condition regardless of being polybagged. Don't like it? If you want a pristine steelbook from Target then go into a store and pick one out for yourself. You can even ask the clerk to check in the back for something that hasn't been spider-wrapped or put into a security sleeve.

If Gamestop provides your games in the condition you desire then you should be ordering everything through them. Bam, there's the solution to nearly every case problem you just listed. Most of these niche collector's editions are also available from their respective publisher/online retailers where you pay a standard shipping and handling fee. In all of my experiences they have come boxed, adequately packaged, and not damaged.

Guess what happens to a person who is going to look for problems everywhere. They find problems. You knew Newegg shipped that game in a bubble mailer but you ordered it two more times and expected a different outcome?? C'mon man, get real. If you expect premium service then start shopping at premium outlets and pay extra for your careful shipping and handling. We have more options than ever before on how to obtain our purchased media. Learn to have some accountability. All of those retailers you mentioned have accountability; they allow you to return products and they take a loss doing so.

Child of Light is on sale on PSN, but it's unfortunately not cross buy, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which version to get, vita or ps3? I have a vita tv, so playing on the big screen isn't a problem. I couldn't find anything saying there were any major differences or changes when it moved to the vita, but I thought someone who's had a hands on here might know.

Thanks!

No, actually the problem is usually on you. You think you deserve the princess treatment while shopping at a discount retailer with free shipping. You know how Newegg works, they keep their prices low. You know that when you order a single game case from them that it's going to come in a bubble mailer. Have some accountability for your purchasing decision. Amazon would have shipped that some product in a small box.

You're right about that Cowboy Bebop being concerning since that should have come in a box. That seems strange since everything I have ordered from them about that size has come boxed. I have about eight of them sitting on my porch right now. There are always exceptions. But it either came in good condition or else you have the ability to return it.

Target is going to ship as efficiently as possible and the majority of those steelbooks are still going to arrive in excellent condition regardless of being polybagged. Don't like it? If you want a pristine steelbook from Target then go into a store and pick one out for yourself. You can even ask the clerk to check in the back for something that hasn't been spider-wrapped or put into a security sleeve.

If Gamestop provides your games in the condition you desire then you should be ordering everything through them. But we already established you were discount shopping. The bottom line is you don't get to discount shop with free shipping and complain about the way your product arrives. Most of these niche collector's editions are available from their respective publisher/online retailers where you pay a standard shipping and handling fee. In all of my experiences they have come boxed, adequately packaged, and not damaged.

Guess what happens to a person who is going to look for problems everywhere. They find problems. You knew Newegg shipped that game in a bubble mailer but you ordered it two more times and expected a different outcome?? C'mon man, get real. If you expect premium service then start shopping at premium outlets and pay extra for your careful shipping and handling. We have more options than ever before on how to obtain our purchased media. Learn to have some accountability. All of those retailers you mentioned have accountability; they allow you to return products and they take a loss doing so.
You're either a dumbass or a troll.

You obviously don't know what the CE from Newegg looks like, nor what the Customer Service said to me.

Amazon ships stuff in bubble mailers all the time. Just because you're living by a warehouse that doesn't, doesn't mean shit.

Do you even know what a polybag is? Most steelbooks don't arrive undamaged in them. Especially, as you say it, gets thrown around.

Discount shopping? Paying MSRP is discount shopping? Seems like you're the entitled princess.

People paid "shipping and handling" from Pepita and Digital River, on top of MSRP, and they still come damaged. Why are you dismissing those?

And we're talking about limited editions specifically. How are you going to pick and choose your media and retailers? Guess I'll walk into Target and pick up that Cowboy Bebop Amazon Edition, and stop by Best Buy for my Kingdom Hearts 2.5 CE.

Dumbass.

Not in most cases. When people are getting ce's and systems shipped by themselves or with minimal protection or inadequate packaging its definitely on the retailers. And even if shippers are doing bang up jobs (emphasis on bang up) then its the retailers job to provide more accurate packaging then. Out of all the products I have had shipped to me only gohastings vesperia was ever crushed and that's from them not even using a bubble mailer :/. So I consider myself lucky on that end.

Child of Light is on sale on PSN, but it's unfortunately not cross buy, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which version to get, vita or ps3? I have a vita tv, so playing on the big screen isn't a problem. I couldn't find anything saying there were any major differences or changes when it moved to the vita, but I thought someone who's had a hands on here might know.

Thanks!
There's a touch element for the little floaty thing that follows you around. From what I've read, Vita is better for that. I've not played it myself yet, though.

Not in most cases. When people are getting ce's and systems shipped by themselves or with minimal protection or inadequate packaging its definitely on the retailers. And even if shippers are doing bang up jobs (emphasis on bang up) then its the retailers job to provide more accurate packaging them. Out of all the products I have had shipped to me only gohastings vesperia was ever crushed. So I consider myself lucky on that end.
I've mentioned it before here and on other threads, but I'm quite lucky with my orders from Amazon. Whether its because I get my shipments to Texas via Lexington, KY and their warehouse packs things well, or my carriers just do a great job handling my merchandise. The only time I can recall having something get to me in bad condition is whenever I ordered Conception 2 from Atlus' site.

No, actually the problem is usually on you. You think you deserve the princess treatment while shopping at a discount retailer with free shipping. You know how Newegg works, they keep their prices low. You know that when you order a single game case from them that it's going to come in a bubble mailer. Have some accountability for your purchasing decision. Amazon would have shipped that same product in a small box.

If Gamestop provides your games in the condition you desire then you should be ordering everything through them. Bam, there's the solution to nearly every case problem you just listed. Most of these niche collector's editions are also available from their respective publisher/online retailers where you pay a standard shipping and handling fee. In all of my experiences they have come boxed, adequately packaged, and not damaged.

I blame all my shipping mishaps on Nothing371.

same here. heck even digital river had amazing service the time I ordered graces from them.  I find the most amazing thing with amazon that seems to be commonplace is that they always seem to ship tiny micro sd cards in large boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back