Japanese people line up for 360, yeah, Hell just froze (Blue Dragon)

Midnite

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
from the-magicbox.com:
Famitsu reported that over 180 people were lined up in front of the Yodobashi Camera store in Akihabara, Japan, waiting to purchase Mistwalker's Xbox 360 RPG Blue Dragon. 40 TV stations and newspaper reporters were present before the game went on sale at 9AM. Microsoft has shipped 200,000 copies of the game.

15500_n20061207_02_bd03.jpg

15500_n20061207_02_bd05.jpg

h-103_64096_bd005.jpg.jpg

Wow, good job Mistwalker, I look forward to playing it when it hits the states.

何んですか!?!?!?!

EDIT: The signs in the first pic say that the Blue Dragon combo pack is a Core System. What the hell?

Wow - this is awesome news. Hopefully MS will start selling other games in Japan like Gears, Viva Pinata and Lost Planet now that some systems are getting sold. I mean you might as well give the other games a try since you own the system, right?

They have Viva Pinata advertised on the Japanese XBL (it's called "Atsumare! Pinata," or "Gather! Pinata" for the Engrish version), and Lost Planet is evidence of Capcom's support for the 360 - it would blow my mind to think it isn't coming out in Japan.

Now, Gears...as good as it is, FPS are as popular in Japan as dating sims are in the States, so I dunno that it will be a system seller (though it's sure to be released).

[quote name='mykevermin']何んですか!?!?!?!

EDIT: The signs in the first pic say that the Blue Dragon combo pack is a Core System. What the hell?[/quote]

そですね!

It is a core system.

Also, they could have just ordered it on Amazon Japan...still in stock:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000IYEYK0/

Lost Planet is definitely getting released in Japan - actually about a month before we are getting it. I think (hope) Gears of War would appeal to a "non-FPS-lovin" person. It's third person for the most part and it's a ton of fun once you get the hang of it.

I heard Gears is getting the "Adult" based rating in Japan. I did read somewhere a month or 2 ago at some event in Japan there was a wait to play Gears of War. Hopefully GoW and Lost Planet sell well.

Awesome, good for MS. In my opinion, the Xbox 360 is the best console ever designed (Not talking about games, or selection, just the promise in the infrastructure, GUI and overall horsepower of the machine.) and the 360 really has a lot of possiblity. With everything integrated into one, and the massive headstart on the compitition... I think the 360 could have a chance to be the leader this Gen, and with the Japanese getting into it now, it could be a possiblity.

That's because it's a Gundam game. I've seen lots of high reviews for Anime based games in Japan. Also, look at there review score DOAX2, much higher then the US scores have been.

But finally there is a JRPG on the 360 that the Japanese actually care about, I don't think Enchant Arms got good reviews in Japan.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Now, Gears...as good as it is, FPS are as popular in Japan as dating sims are in the States, so I dunno that it will be a system seller (though it's sure to be released).[/QUOTE]

Gears of War is not an FPS...:p

But seriously, this is amazing. Amazing! I've been excited for Blue Dragon because of it having some of the members form the Chrono Trigger team (artist and composer, I think) but haven't really followed it too much.

Haven't heard a lick about Blue Dragon except for the notable staff members. In other words, I'm sold before I know any details.

[quote name='javeryh']Wow - this is awesome news. Hopefully MS will start selling other games in Japan like Gears, Viva Pinata and Lost Planet now that some systems are getting sold. I mean you might as well give the other games a try since you own the system, right?[/quote]

I think a more likely scenario is alot of used 360 core systems hitting the Japanese market in oh..say about 2-3 weeks.

[quote name='Puffa469']I think a more likely scenario is alot of used 360 core systems hitting the Japanese market in oh..say about 2-3 weeks.[/quote]What, are the Japanese loaded enough that they can purchase a console and game, play it for a few weeks, and then sell it back for about half of what they paid and not feal cheated? That doesn't seem worth it at all.

They are probably going to hold on to it till more PS3s come out. Blue Dragon is giving 360 a boost but we all know they got Sony on their minds.

[quote name='Puffa469']I think a more likely scenario is alot of used 360 core systems hitting the Japanese market in oh..say about 2-3 weeks.[/quote]

A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan? You don't know what you are talking about. Did you know that there was a time when all Americans believed that Japanese automobiles were shit and was going to go out of business in North America?

[quote name='nintendokid']A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan?[/quote]
Uh, what? That should come as a surprise to all of the many stores selling used games and consoles in Japan.

man that's just brilliant, MS did something right in selling the core system with this game. Now they're gonna make major bank on accessories like the Wii is doing. Smart move.

btw

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155686

in the box

Man with this game + The Idol M@ster + Lost Planet and lost odessey, looks like MS is finally gonna picking up steam in Japan.

Hell they might even learn to embrace Gears of War too

Well, this is good news for Microsoft.

I'm hoping some of these people in Japan actually play around with the hardware a little bit and grow to love it. The good thing thing is that even if these flood the market, someone's going to buy them or get them as gifts. This was a good way for Microsoft to get consoles out of the stores and into people's homes.

[quote name='nintendokid']A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan?[/QUOTE]
Seeing as CheapyD is constantly talking about used videogame stores (he bought his Wii from one), I don't think you know what you're talking about.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Seeing as CheapyD is constantly talking about used videogame stores (he bought his Wii from one), I don't think you know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he got confused with the recent law that passed last year in akihabara that said you can't resell VERY old electronics due to power saftey hazards.........

Dont you love how people convolute facts ;0

[quote name='Puffa469']I think a more likely scenario is alot of used 360 core systems hitting the Japanese market in oh..say about 2-3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all 50 of them.

[quote name='icruise']I've got a copy of Blue Dragon coming to me from Play Asia (yes, I have a Japanese 360). Looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to your opinions of it.

[quote name='nintendokid']A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan? You don't know what you are talking about. [/quote]
What are you talking about? There are game shops full of used games and systems in Japan. I saw used 360's for $200.

[quote name='Z-Saber']What, are the Japanese loaded enough that they can purchase a console and game, play it for a few weeks, and then sell it back for about half of what they paid and not feal cheated? That doesn't seem worth it at all.[/quote]

I agree. I bet a few will sell back their systems but with Microsoft's promise of more games made by Japanese developers (Lost Planet) and the shortage of the PS3 I would think people would at least hold onto the 360 for a little while.

they really went all out with this game...most of all, that whole package is only $259. Lucky bastards.

[quote name='Apossum']they really went all out with this game...most of all, that whole package is only $259. Lucky bastards.[/QUOTE]

heh I still wouldnt get the core at that price.

Game = $59 or so, so core for $200.

I'd want to add on a HD that's $100
Then a wireless controller, $40 at least

You're still up to 340, and then if you want HD, which I would hope you would want with a 360, you gotta buy one of the HD cables (component or VGA) which is at least $30.

I hate the core, but it's so sweet for MS

the only time the core might be worth it is if MS actually released a larger size HD, or you for some reason what a HD console without a HDTV.

Wow thats nutssss... I wonder if this game will be fun. The Dragon idea looks lame to me, but we'll see...

[quote name='Zoglog']http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/japan-gets-its-rpg-blue-dragon-launches-219977.php

Geeee Funny how Kotaku reports there are no lines =p Suprise Suprise.
They should just change their name to Nintendoblog[/QUOTE]

Kotaku is not always the best source for gaming news.

Do I think Blue Dragon is going to save the 360, not really. Blue Dragon is selling, that pic from my first post is from a release party or something (around 180-200 people reported). Most people at other game shops are lining up for Yakuza 2 and a new Gundam game. I think Blue Dragon will be in the top 5 in sales for Japan and quickly drop off.

It's Japan, if it's not Japanese don't buy it kind of attitude.

[quote name='nintendokid']A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan? You don't know what you are talking about. Did you know that there was a time when all Americans believed that Japanese automobiles were shit and was going to go out of business in North America?[/quote]

I'd reply to this but Im too lazy... plus I cant write in idiot so you wouldnt understand.

[quote name='nintendokid']A lazy comment. Don't you know that it is illegal to resell used games (hardware and software) in Japan? You don't know what you are talking about. Did you know that there was a time when all Americans believed that Japanese automobiles were shit and was going to go out of business in North America?[/QUOTE]

That hasn't been true for over a decade. Nintendo sponsored the legislation but it only made it a few years before being overturned.

Who gives a shit if the Japanese are digging on the 360 or not... all of my favorite games this November came from US / European developers, and it sure as hell wasn't the Japanese that helped Gears of War crack 1 million sales so quickly.

It would be nice to get some Japanese developer support, but the 360 is doing just fine in terms of games without it, imo.

[quote name='Roufuss']Who gives a shit if the Japanese are digging on the 360 or not... all of my favorite games this November came from US / European developers, and it sure as hell wasn't the Japanese that helped Gears of War crack 1 million sales so quickly.

It would be nice to get some Japanese developer support, but the 360 is doing just fine in terms of games without it, imo.[/quote]

Yeah, you said it right. If any company can step up to the mat and on its first try, is able to go toe-to-toe with Nintendo (as seen with last gen's Nintendo vs XBOX war for 2nd place), that company is OK.

[quote name='Zoglog']heh I still wouldnt get the core at that price.

Game = $59 or so, so core for $200.

I'd want to add on a HD that's $100
Then a wireless controller, $40 at least

You're still up to 340, and then if you want HD, which I would hope you would want with a 360, you gotta buy one of the HD cables (component or VGA) which is at least $30.

I hate the core, but it's so sweet for MS

the only time the core might be worth it is if MS actually released a larger size HD, or you for some reason what a HD console without a HDTV.[/QUOTE]

You hate the Core System? What, did it run over your dof or something?

I've seen this expreseed many time but never for any rational reason. For some reason there are people who take it a a personal afront that others might find the Core sufficient for getting started.

Wireless controllers are less of a draw in Japan where smaller screens and shorter viewing distances are common compared to the US. This is frequently dictated by very small apartments. I thought working class Manhatten apartments were tiny until I spent a few days in Tokyo.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Now only if Metal Gear 4 joins the fray....[/QUOTE]

The Quarterman in EGM recently wrote in his editorial that supposedly Konami is "forcing" Kojima to develop a 360 version.

The days of console exclusives for third parties are really beginning to become numbered. With development costs so high, you're only limiting your sales potential by remaining exclusive to a specific hardware.

For example.. I'd think that selling a game such as Call of Duty 3 on the PS3 only would virtually be suicide. With the 360's user base numbering upwards of 8 million, and the number of PS3 owners not even reaching a million.. c'mon... it just isn't feasible.

I thought that North America has only 3 million of user base and only about 2 million in USA. I read that on Game Informer on the December issue i think.

[quote name='Midnite']That's because it's a Gundam game. I've seen lots of high reviews for Anime based games in Japan. Also, look at there review score DOAX2, much higher then the US scores have been.

But finally there is a JRPG on the 360 that the Japanese actually care about, I don't think Enchant Arms got good reviews in Japan.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was common knowledge that Famistu "sells" their reviews. Some dude who use to work there was talking about it somewhere. :lol: Sorry for not having links.

Is it really surprising a game designed for the Japanese market by one of most recognized Japanese developers is going to sell well to said market, even on a badly received console?

I'm more interested in a US announcement. Hopefully domestic interest on the Japanese launch will cause them to announce something soon.

bread's done
Back