javeryh's ARCADE cabinet!! (Updated 08.30.2006)

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I heard back from the artist and he has graciously agreed to do the artwork for my cab. Check out this awesome concept sketch he did:

There are a few little modifications that need to be done to the layout such as the lettering being repositioned to run down the side of the table top along the monitor but this is EXACTLY the idea I am going for... He is going to make a detailed full size drawing and then color it in photoshop so I can give it to the printer. This guy is just insanely talented.

Oh yeah, if you are out there shadow9689 - CML and I'll send you a game! I think "Knights of the Arcade Table" blends the two loves of my life rather nicely - Star Wars and arcade games! Nothing says "I'm a giant nerd" more than a home made Star Wars themed arcade cabinet in my living room![/QUOTE]

Eh? Somebody called?
A bit late, but offer still stands? (updated trade list maybe?)
And rock, Knights of the Arcade Table :D
It looks like a cool arcade system :drool:

EDIT: BTW, what do you mean by
- CML
?

[quote name='shadow9689']Eh? Somebody called?
A bit late, but offer still stands? (updated trade list maybe?)
And rock, Knights of the Arcade Table :D
It looks like a cool arcade system :drool:

EDIT: BTW, what do you mean by
- CML
?[/QUOTE]

Hey, I was wondering if you would come calling... CML means "Check My (trade) List" ... it's updated so whatever game you want let me know where to send it and I'll get it out to you. I'm hoping the final artwork comes out as good as I have it pictured in my head but either way there's no turning back now - Knights of the Arcade Table it is. Thanks! :D

[quote name='javeryh']Hey, I was wondering if you would come calling... CML means "Check My (trade) List" ... it's updated so whatever game you want let me know where to send it and I'll get it out to you. I'm hoping the final artwork comes out as good as I have it pictured in my head but either way there's no turning back now - Knights of the Arcade Table it is. Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]
Eek, I own all the games in your trade list D:
But, it's cool that you offered though.
I'm not really up for hoarding the games. :p

Any chance you going to update your list ever though?
Could it be possible for me to redeem this free game sometime in the future?

Thanks for choosing my idea though, Jedi's rock :D

[quote name='shadow9689']Eek, I own all the games in your trade list D:
But, it's cool that you offered though.
I'm not really up for hoarding the games. :p

Any chance you going to update your list ever though?
Could it be possible for me to redeem this free game sometime in the future?

Thanks for choosing my idea though, Jedi's rock :D[/QUOTE]

Ooohh - that sucks. Sorry. There's a slim chance I might update my list but it's not likely. When the cabinet is finished I'll bump the thread and you can take another look...

[quote name='javeryh']Ooohh - that sucks. Sorry. There's a slim chance I might update my list but it's not likely. When the cabinet is finished I'll bump the thread and you can take another look...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your kind generosity :)
I'm sure that we all want to see a finished arcade cabinet and some video footage of you playing on it :drool:
:D

Reality's Fringe said:
If you run SNES9X and download the 970 ROM pack of SNES ROMS off of Limewire (or whatever) to augment it, then you will be the fucking coolest guy ever.

I'm planning on running SNES and NES games along with MAME and Daphne as the bare minimum. There's no need to download any roms from the internet though.... there are other ways to get every single NES and SNES game.... ;)

Update!

I was able to size the bezel using the small piece of smoked glass as a template and then cutting it to size using a straight edge and razor. I was also able to round the corners of the bezel to fit into the rabbet in the tabletop with a pair of scissors. I think it came out pretty good.

I also cut the t-molding to fit around the edges of the tabletop and placed the bigger tempered piece of glass on top. Eventually, the glass will be held to the top with some glass clips that screw into the underside of the table and extend out over the top to hold the glass in place.

Here are the latest pictures:

That's a sweet looking arcade cabinet, J.

So, the screen is built into a table? Or does the screen flip up? Can't really tell from that photo.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']That's a sweet looking arcade cabinet, J.

So, the screen is built into a table? Or does the screen flip up? Can't really tell from that photo.[/QUOTE]

The arcade monitor is not installed yet but when it is it will be facing up with no movement at all. The cabinet will be playable from three sides depending on whether the game is horizontal (4:3 - like Street Fighter) or vertical (3:4 - like Pac-man). The vertical games will support screen flipping for 2 player games. It's heavily based on the 80s cocktail cabs that look like this:

[quote name='javeryh']The arcade monitor is not installed yet but when it is it will be facing up with no movement at all. The cabinet will be playable from three sides depending on whether the game is horizontal (4:3 - like Street Fighter) or vertical (3:4 - like Pac-man). The vertical games will support screen flipping for 2 player games. It's heavily based on the 80s cocktail cabs that look like this:

[/QUOTE]

Sweet... :cool: :drool:

And that's the word I was looking for to describe those cabinets: cocktail. I've seen some Pac-Man cocktail arcade machines like that.

Its coming along great and I will have to check that sight out later. Maybe I should start to rebuild the 3 of 4 arcades I have that need work. javeryh has inspired me.

Looking great, Javeryh!!!

Here is my current hell... the wiring stage
wiring1sm.jpg

and I'm finally starting to try and get the screen in. Need to work on the bezel next (and get the PC ready).
tv1sm.jpg

Again, your cab is looking fantastic - good luck with the rest and keep us posted!

[quote name='megashock5']Looking great, Javeryh!!!

Here is my current hell... the wiring stage
wiring1sm.jpg

and I'm finally starting to try and get the screen in. Need to work on the bezel next (and get the PC ready).
tv1sm.jpg

Again, your cab is looking fantastic - good luck with the rest and keep us posted![/QUOTE]

Thanks megashock5! Yours is coming along very nicely too. The wiring is my next step also and I'm not looking forward to it - I've never wired anything in my life. As far as I can tell you just strip the ends of each wire and attach the NO part of the microswitch on the buttons/joystick to the appropriate part on the ipac. Then you daisy chain all the grounds together and run the last one to the ground on the ipac. Then you plug the ipac into the computer and it should work, right?

I'm hoping to start this weekend so I guees I will find out soon enough... Keep me posted about your cab!

[quote name='javeryh']As far as I can tell you just strip the ends of each wire and attach the NO part of the microswitch on the buttons/joystick to the appropriate part on the ipac. Then you daisy chain all the grounds together and run the last one to the ground on the ipac. Then you plug the ipac into the computer and it should work, right?[/QUOTE]

LOL, That's what I'm hoping! I've never wired anything either, I'll almost be shocked if I fire this thing up and it works. I guess it's a learning experience, right?

[quote name='Kayden']Speaking of hot... where are the pics of your wife javy?[/QUOTE]

Hahaha - no chance of that ever. :D

[quote name='javeryh']Hahaha - no chance of that ever. :D[/QUOTE]

So this must be the part where someone says: "she must not be hot then if you aren't going to post pictures"

I think what you've done so far is pretty amazing. It looks great.

If you're still taking suggestions for names, I've got a few:

The Players Club
Arcada del Dios (arcade of the gods...............I think)
Playing Nation

If I think of more I'll make another post.

That's really nice. I noticed you have the coin door on there. Is that going to be functional? I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that there was software that would allow you to use that with a mame cab. Didn't you say this was going to be a mame cab, right?

[quote name='erehwon']That's really nice. I noticed you have the coin door on there. Is that going to be functional? I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that there was software that would allow you to use that with a mame cab. Didn't you say this was going to be a mame cab, right?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments!

The coin door will be fully functional. There is no other software other than mame required. "Insert Coin" is mapped to "5" on a keyboard by default so all you have to do is wire the coindoor to the appropriate spot on the ipac and it will work. I'm also planning on having a button perform the same function (that I can toggle on and off) so when I'm playing or having a party I don't have to fumble around for quarters/tokens. It is going to be a mame cab... and an NES cab and an SNES cab and a Daphne cab... :D

I'd love to do that, but it'll be several years before I have the room for one of those. I'll likely try to make a supergun. For those that don't know, a supergun is a device that lets you play arcade boards on a TV. It's the cheapass way of playing Neo Geo games. The MVS board and carts will cost a lot less than the AES equivalents.

I think you need to call it the baby-eating-ass-kicking-Mother-killing Arcade of Doom!!
either that or elmo.

[quote name='Strell']I believe this qualifies as NSFG (not safe for gamers). I went through several vials of acid to cleanse my eyes once I was done with this site.[/QUOTE]
I just wanted to make sure that javeryh was on the straight and narrow with his MAME cabinet. :D

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Lookin sweeeet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It is taking forever (mainly because I have no free time to actually work on it) but I am getting closer and closer! I really need to put together a computer for it...

bread's done
Back