javeryh's ARCADE cabinet!! (Updated 08.30.2006)

[quote name='megashock5']Do you need any help with the graphics? For all I know you could be a graphic designer (which is what I am) but since I don't know I thought I'd ask.

My cabinet is also in progress. I'm using 'Timewarp' as the name. Here are semi-recent pics, I've added the trackball since I took these.

cab_041405a.jpg

cab_041405b.jpg

cab_040305c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome. That looks GREAT! My next project is going to be an upright but there's no room in my house for one at the moment. Yours looks fantastic! Very clean layout and design.

To answer your question, no I am not a graphic designer - whatever the opposite of that is - I am it. I would love any help you could give designing something nice for my cocktail top. I'm painting it black in the "Pac-man" style so I would need whatever name/picture/logo I come up with to be put in 2 places instead of the "Pac-man" and ghosts in the pic below (I think I want to keep the instruction card or maybe modify it for instructions on how to choose a game off of my front end):

I will also be able to provide exact dimensions and everything for laying it out in photoshop or whatever you graphic artist guys use.

Javeryh and the Lost Arcade
Time Sink
Quarters Anyone
Conqueror's Pride
Conqueror's Heritage
Conqueror's Legacy
Jurassic Arcade
Ghost in the Arcade
Arcade of Heroes
Panzercade
Secret Weapon of Javeryh
Legend of Javeryh
iArcade
$1 WTF?
Quarter Chomper

Oh, nice cabinet Megashock5

[quote name='megashock5']
cab_040305c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

So what's the blue joystick for? Seems kinda outta place... unless you use it for Smash TV...

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome. That looks GREAT! My next project is going to be an upright but there's no room in my house for one at the moment. Yours looks fantastic! Very clean layout and design.

To answer your question, no I am not a graphic designer - whatever the opposite of that is - I am it. I would love any help you could give designing something nice for my cocktail top. I'm painting it black in the "Pac-man" style so I would need whatever name/picture/logo I come up with to be put in 2 places instead of the "Pac-man" and ghosts in the pic below (I think I want to keep the instruction card or maybe modify it for instructions on how to choose a game off of my front end):

I will also be able to provide exact dimensions and everything for laying it out in photoshop or whatever you graphic artist guys use.[/QUOTE]

Cool, when you have a name picked out and the dimension let me know. Not sure where you plan to have it printed, but Adobe Illustrator is better than Photoshop in a case like this - it's vector instead of bitmap, so you can print at any size and never lose quality or show any jaggies. It can save out to EPS format, so hopefully that would work for you.

[quote name='jaykrue']So what's the blue joystick for? Seems kinda outta place... unless you use it for Smash TV...[/QUOTE]

It's a 4-way stick for old games like Pac-man and Frogger that don't use diagonal. The red ones are 8-way. I was told that some of the old stuff has trouble with 8-way sticks because the diagonals are dead-spots. Don't know how much it really affects it, but I thought I'd put it on there just in case.

The placement may look a bit odd, but it has to be somewhere where you don't have to reach over other controls to get to it. Plus it's opposite the spinner, for at least a little balance. There's a trackball right where the highlight is now also.

[quote name='megashock5']It's a 4-way stick for old games like Pac-man and Frogger that don't use diagonal. The red ones are 8-way. I was told that some of the old stuff has trouble with 8-way sticks because the diagonals are dead-spots. Don't know how much it really affects it, but I thought I'd put it on there just in case.

The placement may look a bit odd, but it has to be somewhere where you don't have to reach over other controls to get to it. Plus it's opposite the spinner, for at least a little balance. There's a trackball right where the highlight is now also.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, ok. But won't it feel awkward to lean forward to play pacman? It doesn't look like it can be as comfortable as where the regular sticks are placed.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hmm, ok. But won't it feel awkward to lean forward to play pacman? It doesn't look like it can be as comfortable as where the regular sticks are placed.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to lean forward at all. Just rest you forearm on the control panel.

[quote name='megashock5']It's a 4-way stick for old games like Pac-man and Frogger that don't use diagonal. The red ones are 8-way. I was told that some of the old stuff has trouble with 8-way sticks because the diagonals are dead-spots. Don't know how much it really affects it, but I thought I'd put it on there just in case.

The placement may look a bit odd, but it has to be somewhere where you don't have to reach over other controls to get to it. Plus it's opposite the spinner, for at least a little balance. There's a trackball right where the highlight is now also.[/QUOTE]

It's absolutely true. Try playing 5 minutes of Donkey Kong with an 8-way and you will put your foot through the wall. The placement it great - It won't be awkward in practice plus most 4-way games use 1 or no buttons so you can get as comfortable as you like. You also need room around the trackball for Golden Tee - the essential drinking arcade game. I'm using Ultimarc T-Stik Plus joys - they switch from 4-way to 8-way without having to go under the control panel.

As for the printouts, I definitely want vector-based graphics for scaling and I'm probably just going to have mamemarquees.com print it for me on vinyl when it is done so I don't anticipate any problems with it.

[quote name='javeryh']Try playing 5 minutes of Donkey Kong with an 8-way and you will put your foot through the wall.[/QUOTE]
Donkey Kong 64, anyone? ;)

I just got the Nintendo coin for the first time ever last week, and I've had it since it came out in 1999. I blame that entirely on the fact that the N64 controller doesn't have four position anything.

Raiders of the Lost Arcade
Pac In Time
Pac To The Future
MaxiMame
Arcade Alpha
Hedonism
Archaic Arcade (Archaicade?)
Rebirth
Vintage Villain
End Table

[quote name='Cloak']i got one for you, can i send it through e-mail?

[/QUOTE]

uh, sure just send me a PM I guess...

Attempt to appease your wife by naming it after her, after you nickanme for her, where you first met, etc. (Assuming any of those make a good name.)

You don't want her watering the plants and 'accidentally' spilling on and ruining "that eyeso..er.. your precious game machine", do you? :D

[quote name='javeryh']I'm painting it black in the "Pac-man" style so I would need whatever name/picture/logo I come up with to be put in 2 places instead of the "Pac-man" and ghosts in the pic below (I think I want to keep the instruction card or maybe modify it for instructions on how to choose a game off of my front end):[/QUOTE]
In that case, I think I've got a good idea for the design.

Instead of giving the machine a name, replace the Pac-Man logos with the Midway logo.

There are a few different ways you could do the sides of the machine. One would be to leave it solid in color with either a giant Midway logo or the bright red M splashed across the sides. Another would be to do something along the lines of that but change the background so that, instead of being a solid color, it could reflect the games you're including. Title screens, screenshots of gameplay, promotional art, the original cabinet designs...there are lots of ways to go about that, and I'm sure you could find one that'll look great.

Heck, you could even theme the machine entirely around the games and drop the giant Midway logos on the sides.

If you really want, I could whip up something in Photoshop for you if the rough descriptions didn't do the job. I'm definitely not a graphic designer, and having megashock5 do the art would be a much better idea...but I could still get something done to illustrate the idea if need be.

wangalator

old skool - if you into the "hip" type of thing.

"the other gen"

maybe this is a bad time to mention that I don't post unsolicited material.

8-Bit Classics
N.O.R.A.D
The Ownage Zone
Winners Table
Javery H-Box
Old School 360
Obsolete Entertainment(But I Like It)
Javery's Arse Kicker
Javery's Gaming Lounge

*Feel free to substitute Javery with your actual name*

[quote name='javeryh']As for the printouts, I definitely want vector-based graphics for scaling and I'm probably just going to have mamemarquees.com print it for me on vinyl when it is done so I don't anticipate any problems with it.[/QUOTE]

Good move. I HIGHLY recommend mamemarquees.com. That's who did my CPO and marquee. Scott does an awesome job, you won't be disappointed.

im gunna sound like a fool most likely, but what games are you planning on playing through the arcade? and how do u run them?

kinda new to the your-own-arcade-at-home game

[quote name='brainstorm']im gunna sound like a fool most likely, but what games are you planning on playing through the arcade? and how do u run them?

kinda new to the your-own-arcade-at-home game[/QUOTE]

Nah, I am still a newbie when it comes to this stuff (it's the first one I've built). Check out www.arcadecontrols.com for everything you will ever need to get started. I also highly recommend Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Controls by John St. Clair (the webmaster over there).

I am planning on running mame in the cabinet so I will have a lot of different games on there - I'm probably also going to add a dreamcast if I can squeeze it in there - it's going to be a tight fit.

[quote name='javeryh']Nah, I am still a newbie when it comes to this stuff (it's the first one I've built). Check out www.arcadecontrols.com for everything you will ever need to get started. I also highly recommend Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Controls by John St. Clair (the webmaster over there).

I am planning on running mame in the cabinet so I will have a lot of different games on there - I'm probably also going to add a dreamcast if I can squeeze it in there - it's going to be a tight fit.[/QUOTE]

Again with the good call, J. There is a lot of info at arcadecontrols.com, plus a forum to ask questions. I aslo highly recommend St. Clair's book, I don't think mine would be nearly this far along without it.

you could try to replicate one of the old table top ganes. like that old football one. just print out the pics piece by pieve and shallack them onto the stained wood.

You Arcade.

Just like the one in Shenmue. You could get screen shots of the outside and make it's logo the artwork on your arcade.

OK people - keep 'em coming!!! Here's where I'm at so far:

Really like:
Knights of the Arcade Table (shadow9689) - thinking maybe a jedi theme (with the name in small star wars fonts and 2 cartoon drawn jedis - one male, one female - with light sabers out ready for some ass kicking all against a space background)
No Quarter (a friend) - maybe a pirate theme?
Attack of the Arcade (RedvsBlue)

Like:
Attack of the 80s (Dustwalker14)
Arcade Paradise (me)
Arcade Strikes Back (me)
Sir Drink and Play (Tromack)

I also really like Barcade (bmulligan) but since this is going in my living room it doesn't quite fit - when I build my next one I might use it though if I have a new house with a bar in it by then...

Of course these names are all subject to wife approval so reall who the hell knows... I hope to have a decision by the end of the week so I can get started on the actual artwork design...

Game On
Arcade Reminiscence
The Chill Spot
Classics Gallery
Classics Lounge
Arcade Central
Tecmo Arcade
Tecmo Lounge
Real Classics
True Classics
Arcade Arena
Gaming Oldies
Gaming Lounge
Players Ball
Players Lounge
Players Arcade
Real Gamers
Real Gamers Arena
Real Gamers Lounge
Real Gaming
Real Gamers Only
True Gamers
True Gamers Arena
True Gamers Lounge
True Gaming
True Gamers Only
Old School Arcade
Old School Arena
Old School Central
Old School Joint
Old School Lounge
Old School Gamers
Old School Gamers Only
Old School Gaming
Old School *insert*

Call it "Lucky Hit". That way, when people come over, you can say "Would you like to play a game of Lucky Hit?" Repeating as needed, occasionaly switching up some of the words, until they give in!

Of course, since it is a coctail version, you could call it "Lucky Sit"

bread's done
Back