Joe Rogan Confronts Carlos Mencia for Stealing Jokes, Sucking

Finally got around to watching that video.

I do think Mencia probably steals jokes, I do think he's an asshole, and I don't like his comedy, but you know what? He performs to a different type of crowd than most comedians. He performs, mostly to dumb 11-25 year olds that are gonna tire of him in, oh I don't know, about two years from now? He's a fad, and the fact of the matter is he's gonna be washed up and depressed soon, so I don't really think this should be too much of an issue.

That said, that was pretty funny seeing Mencia struggle out there.

[quote name='danito']I hate Mencia more then any other comedian. If you can even call him that.[/QUOTE]I don't know why you would. He's never funny.

[quote name='mykevermin']To help prepare for your SATs:

Rachel Ray : Cooking

Carlos Mencia: Comedy[/QUOTE]
officer.jpg

Hey there, buddy. We got a call about this Nail character being hit on the head. He said his assailant matched your description. You know anything about this, fella?

I'm glad I read this whole thread. It's hilarious in it's own right.

My 2 cents:

I don't like Mencia anymore (though he had a great joke about being heckled by someone with an electro-larynx [if it's his]).
I would have paid JUST to see that in person.
I would have paid MORE to see it come to blows.
I'm not a big Rogan fan, nor did I even know he was a comedian. But he was alright on Newsradio.

Rachel Ray is hot.:drool:

[quote name='evanft']Rachel Ray is hot.:drool:[/QUOTE]

Required picture:
5big.jpg

Wouldn't want to have sex with her, I might get a head injury from her flapping her hands.

And she married Dan Ackroyd's kid, apparently:
rachaelraywedding2.jpg

[quote name='naes']Dunno if anyone has posted this... but...

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...Show%20Podcast[/quote]So were the hosts of the showing buffing Mencia's balls during that bit as well? It was like a fucking lovefest.

And his whole argument of, "Well, my stuff is on TV and DVDs. It's recorded." So, therefore, you didn't steal any jokes? Huh? So if I'm to steal someone's car and drive it around, it means I own it? 'Cause I'm the one driving it right?

This is the best news I've heard in some time. Mencia sucks so much ball. It's nice to see someone actually say it (even if it is"Let's-kill-the-man-show" Joe Rogan).

At the end, one of the hosts says that in the interview, Mencia stole a joke.
[quote name='SteveMcQ']So were the hosts of the showing buffing Mencia's balls during that bit as well? It was like a fucking lovefest.

And his whole argument of, "Well, my stuff is on TV and DVDs. It's recorded." So, therefore, you didn't steal any jokes? Huh? So if I'm to steal someone's car and drive it around, it means I own it? 'Cause I'm the one driving it right?[/quote]

So, what jokes is he supposedly "stealing", and who is he stealing them from. I think he sucks ass myself, but if he's just doing generic racial comedy, that's not exactly "stealing". But if he's doing someone elses jokes word for word, or with a very slight difference, then that certainly is.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, what jokes is he supposedly "stealing", and who is he stealing them from. I think he sucks ass myself, but if he's just doing generic racial comedy, that's not exactly "stealing". But if he's doing someone elses jokes word for word, or with a very slight difference, then that certainly is.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you watched the video you'd see specific examples of the jokes he's stealing.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, if you watched the video you'd see specific examples of the jokes he's stealing.[/quote]I tried watching it, but I got sick of the "2 loudmouths who aren't funny yelling at each other at the same time" bit.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I tried watching it, but I got sick of the "2 loudmouths who aren't funny yelling at each other at the same time" bit.[/QUOTE]

Well if you're not going to watch it don't post ignorant questions that are already answered in it.

[quote name='Ziv']I'm glad I read this whole thread. It's hilarious in it's own right.

My 2 cents:

I don't like Mencia anymore (though he had a great joke about being heckled by someone with an electro-larynx [if it's his]).[/QUOTE]

This is interesting, cause steve coogan does a joke about being heckled by stephen hawking(im pretty sure it was stephen hawking) in his electro voice. HE actually does a really good impression of an electro larynx. Funny as hell and VERY old coogan stuff.

Got a link to where I can hear mencia's version?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well if you're not going to watch it don't post ignorant questions that are already answered in it.[/quote]I have to watch a 10 minute video to find out something that could easily have been posted in about 30 seconds?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I have to watch a 10 minute video to find out something that could easily have been posted in about 30 seconds?[/QUOTE]

Example:

Ari (something, don't remember his last name) had a joke about the following:

"President Bush wants to build a 50 foot thick wall across the entire southern border of the United States to keep immigrants out....but guess who's going to build the wall."

Holness's rendition is "BUT ALL THE BEANERS R GUNNA BUILD IT DER DER DER!!!11"

The Ari guy is Jewish - they even show him doing it in like 2003, when it appeared on Holness's show in 2005. Ari had opened for him once.

When they confront him about it, the best answer he could give was "Do you really think a Jewish man would make that joke?"

Cuz you know, I've never heard of a Jewish comedian before...

[quote name='Strell']Example:

"President Bush wants to build a 50 foot thick wall across the entire southern border of the United States to keep immigrants out....but guess who's going to build the wall."

The Ari guy is Jewish - they even show him doing it in like 2003, when it appeared on Holness's show in 2005. Ari had opened for him once.

When they confront him about it, the best answer he could give was "Do you really think a Jewish man would make that joke?"

Cuz you know, I've never heard of a Jewish comedian before...[/quote]Wow, I expected some kind of joke out of you, and yet you actual post something useful. I clicked on one of the stories mentioned before, about Dane Cook, Robin Williams, etc. "stealing" jokes, which was pretty good, and I'm watching the video now, and it's pretty obvious. I've always hated Mencia, but now, it's a special kind of hate.

[quote name='Strell']Example:

Cuz you know, I've never heard of a Jewish comedian before...[/QUOTE]

But can we agree that Rogan should have been shot instead of Hartman?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']But can we agree that Rogan should have been shot instead of Hartman?[/QUOTE]

Cochese, I get you don't like Rogan, and yes I do wish Hartman was still alive (saw him in an episode of Third Rock from the Sun the other night, and his character was absolutely hilarious), but c'mon, this doesn't really add much to the discussion at hand.

Let's at least bring up - if need be - the fact that Rogan went in a rampage not too long ago against some kid on Myspace who more or less called him a douchebag, which apparently was so terribly damaged to Rogan's public image and ego that he proceeded to shit all over the dude's page and call him out on his own blog and site. Yes, some faceless kid took Rogan to town on his douchebaggery, and Rogan just couldn't let that go.

I mean, yeah, Rogan is a dick for that.

I do think he's pretty much valid in his pursuit here, and I think the "you just look like a little bitch" comments are getting just as lame as some of you continue to say he is.

[quote name='Strell']Cochese, I get you don't like Rogan, and yes I do wish Hartman was still alive (saw him in an episode of Third Rock from the Sun the other night, and his character was absolutely hilarious), but c'mon, this doesn't really add much to the discussion at hand.[/QUOTE]

Rogan doesn't care about joke stealers, he cares about sucessful ones. I haven't seen him have the balls to go harass Robin Williams.

He's not doing it to be on some crusade, he's trying to restart his career.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Required picture:
5big.jpg

Wouldn't want to have sex with her, I might get a head injury from her flapping her hands.

And she married Dan Ackroyd's kid, apparently:
rachaelraywedding2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've always loved that first picture, Rachel Ray is so strange..insanely cute one minute and totally hot the next.

Not at all, I used to dismiss her as a showgirl but seeing her battle in the Iron Chef America celebrity battle, seeing her cook live on a few interviews, and reading some of her books, she knows what she's talking about. Rachel never claimed to specialize in fine cuisine, never would dare to be considered a top chef Michelin rated, however, she can cook and knows about food, quite, and her love for food and cuisine in general is nothing short of inspiring

I can assure you, if Rachel opened ONE restaurant, picked the head chef herself, and temped as sous chef, it would be the best food you ever ate outside of a top gourmet house. I think for more "down home" cooking, regional American food, and New American cuisine, she knows what she's doing and does it very well.

Plus she's very attractive, if you want to talk about all looks and no substance, let's talk about Giada, she's a cute girl but knows NOTHING about cooking [though she is good at making deserts and knows a lot of theory] She's like Mario Batali with no skills, only dazzingly attractive.

And to be honest, she can cook circles around Bobby Flay [who sadly IS a michelin rated chef, and has won his share of US awards as well]

If someone asked me if I had a favorite comedian I'd have to say none because I just don't like stand up at all, I'm good with a comedy [movie] or play, written material as well, but I'm not a fan of seeing a guy in front of a brick wall talking

However, here's a nice summary of today's hot comedians

Carlos Mencia: so this beaner I know, his name is juan, he walked in and bought some tortillas, because he's a beaner, and then he put frijoles in them, because he's a motherfucking beaner, he picked up the taco and it fell out of his hands, DEE DEE DEE!!!

Dane Cook: so the other day this guy walks into Circuit City, and he buys a DVD player, he takes it home and hooks it up, oh god, ha ha ha ha, SUPER FINGER!!!!!!

I have nothing to say about Dave Chapelle, I saw a skit about music and ethnicity [electric guitars/caucasians, drums/african americans, etc] he did on the Comedy Central show and it was quite funny and very well made. He doesn't stick to many stereotypes and can write more than one type of joke..

But Mencia and Cook, god, I hate them, I wish they weren't all over my HBO, Showtimes, and cable TV I pay good money for.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Rogan doesn't care about joke stealers, he cares about sucessful ones. I haven't seen him have the balls to go harass Robin Williams.

He's not doing it to be on some crusade, he's trying to restart his career.[/QUOTE]

Why would he need to restart his career? He is tied to one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Pretty sure the UFC is treating him just fine. Hell they just gave him another show.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Why would he need to restart his career? He is tied to one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Pretty sure the UFC is treating him just fine. Hell they just gave him another show.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny his agency chose between him and Mencia...and chose Mencia.:lol:

He might be the worst joke stealer ever, but he's making money.

[quote name='Strell']Cochese, I get you don't like Rogan, and yes I do wish Hartman was still alive (saw him in an episode of Third Rock from the Sun the other night, and his character was absolutely hilarious). [/QUOTE]

(if its the episode I'm thinking of ...)

"We got a real live freak on our hands ... OH YEAH!!!!!!"

[quote name='Deathmonkey'](if its the episode I'm thinking of ...)

"We got a real live freak on our hands ... OH YEAH!!!!!!"[/QUOTE]

ROFL

That's most certainly it.

Oh yeah!

Mencia is a hack, Rogan may not be the best comedian but he is completely right in this matter and is therefore awesome, and I would totally bang the living Hell out of Rachel Ray. And then I'd eat that tasty apple pie. I think that about covers it all.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Mencia is a hack, Rogan may not be the best comedian but he is completely right in this matter and is therefore awesome, and I would totally bang the living Hell out of Rachel Ray. And then I'd eat that tasty apple pie. I think that about covers it all.[/quote]Uh, you're supposed to eat the pie FIRST, then bang Rachel Ray. Unless your talking about an actual pie, and not a euphemism for her snatch.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Uh, you're supposed to eat the pie FIRST, then bang Rachel Ray. Unless your talking about an actual pie, and not a euphemism for her snatch.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Of course, I would eat both. Hell, maybe even at the same time.

[quote name='sarausagi']Not at all, I used to dismiss her as a showgirl but seeing her battle in the Iron Chef America celebrity battle, seeing her cook live on a few interviews, and reading some of her books, she knows what she's talking about. Rachel never claimed to specialize in fine cuisine, never would dare to be considered a top chef Michelin rated, however, she can cook and knows about food, quite, and her love for food and cuisine in general is nothing short of inspiring

I can assure you, if Rachel opened ONE restaurant, picked the head chef herself, and temped as sous chef, it would be the best food you ever ate outside of a top gourmet house. I think for more "down home" cooking, regional American food, and New American cuisine, she knows what she's doing and does it very well.[/quote]

We have enough "deep fried meat on a stick" kinda TGI Friday's restaurants in this world. We don't need another.

Let me explain Rachel Ray in two ways. Listening to talk radio yesterday morning, on a cooking show a woman called up and asked the hosts if they knew the recipe of Rachel Ray where she used evaporated milk to make very simple (no-bake?) fudge. That's not a "rachel ray" recipe anymore than, well, any of Mencia's material is his. She is a fully capable "no frills" cook, but she's like fuckin' 090-level cooking. "To make spaghetti, heat the water first" kinda crap.

Second, the first I *ever* heard of her was seeing her shilling Burger King sandwiches on TV. Just like artists, if you are portraying yourself on TV trying to sell something, you are not to be trusted and have no credibility. I will not take any chef seriously who tells me they eat Burger King. Now, if the commercial was Anthony Bourdain, face covered in white powder, three naked hookers in the back of his excursion, and who are dodging all the empty bottles rolling around the car, and he wanted a whopper at 4AM? Fine. I'd believe that. But this "when I'm not making demi-glace, I want the ex-con deep fryin' me a frozen chicken sammich at BURGER KING!" shit just shows a person with no credibility.

Let me be clear: she's surely a capable cook, but she's no chef. Full disclosure: I'm a capable cook myself. Tell me what to do, tell me what you want, I'll do it to perfection each and every time ('cept the bearnaise, when I made it it would always fuckin' break within 45 minutes). Give me directions, I'll be your favorite man. I'm no chef at all. Tell me to come up with a fish special? fuck you, I'm not the chef. Tell me to make a soup, and there's no leftovers from yesterday that seem to suggest something outright? fuck you, I'm not the chef. You want me to design the menu, or find something to make from the case of tofu that was accidentally ordered? fuck you, I'm not the chef.

If nothing else, there are a number of similarities between Rachel Ray and myself (though my breasts don't look like a penguin's fin). The major difference is that she thinks she deserves her own food empire. She wants to take the most rudimentary cooking imaginable and make herself a star. It works, so bully for her. I just don't think she deserves any accolades. If grocery store checkout lane "51 awesome dessert recipes!" pamphlets could talk, they'd be the Joe Rogan to her Carlos Mencia.

And don't get me started on Flay. The only thing going for Flay is that he isn't Emiril. At least those two are chefs, and not just cooks.

Plus she's very attractive, if you want to talk about all looks and no substance, let's talk about Giada, she's a cute girl but knows NOTHING about cooking [though she is good at making deserts and knows a lot of theory] She's like Mario Batali with no skills, only dazzingly attractive.

And to be honest, she can cook circles around Bobby Flay [who sadly IS a michelin rated chef, and has won his share of US awards as well]

I don't watch much Giada b/c she's got a "Natalie Portman bobblehead" thing going on. Moreover, she may be good, she may be bad (I said nothing about attractiveness, to my recollection, so let it be known that you're the one imposing beauty standards here, and not me). More importantly than that, I don't watch her because she's redundant. If I want to watch an Italian cooking show, I'll watch Batali.

As for the looks thing, if you wanna get uptight about Giada, I'd say Rachel Ray is the redundant counterpart to Paula Deen. If Paula doesn't make it, then that quiet lady on Barefoot Contessa will. Those two, along with Batali, are worth watching on the food network. The only real "show" on Food Network worth watching is Dinner: Impossible, because Robert Irvine is a great chef with the right kind of "shut your fuckin' hole and cook!" approach that every great chef should have.

Myke you might want to find Bourdain's blog. He slammed pretty much everyone on the Food Network very recently, as well as the entire slew of shows on the network itself.

[quote name='mykevermin']interesting other side of the argument goes here

And don't get me started on Flay. The only thing going for Flay is that he isn't Emiril. At least those two are chefs, and not just cooks.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't like Flay at all, as I said, Ray can cook circles around Flay, and that's sad because Flay is an actual chef but everything I've seen from him [his Iron Chef Japanese battles, his own show, his books, his interviews, even his own products] is just so bottom of the barrel..it really makes me mad..plus his ego knows no limits..any award he's won he's won by luck and I wish chef licenses were like medical licenses, because he would have lost his a LONG time ago. Emeril is only a tiny little bit better...a tiny bit.

As for Ray, I've watched her for years [before the commercials, crazy advertising, and what not] and she's always just struck a chord with me. I honestly think, if at least a few dozen people get into cooking because of her, then that's more good than most people do. I'm not talking just follow her recepie book, I'm saying, if some people actually take it seriously and go out and start trying to learn about food and people are more educated in general...it would make everything from grocery stores to restaurants to the psychology behind it a lot better

I'd have to look into some recordings I have of her shows to pull out what I really think are her best receipies...TV personalities like these tend to be very aggresive with their receipies, piling on flavors and just making it as flashy and intoxicating as possible, but I know I've seen a few dishes that actually looked well thought out and more than just "hey, let's put butter, powedered sugar, lemon zest, and chipotle all over it!!!!"

And as for Giada, you got it all right. I rarely watch her because of the Bobble Head Effect [very distracting, you think the camera guy would be staring at her cleavage or at least trying to film the food, but the camera is always focused on her insanely large head] But yes, Batali is the only Italian show on the Food Network worth watching, Giada is much of the same but the difference is Batali knows what he's doing. As I said earlier, Giada is good at desserts though, I actually tried making this chocolate thing she did once and it was superb.

[quote name='mykevermin']We have enough "deep fried meat on a stick" kinda TGI Friday's restaurants in this world. We don't need another.

Let me explain Rachel Ray in two ways. Listening to talk radio yesterday morning, on a cooking show a woman called up and asked the hosts if they knew the recipe of Rachel Ray where she used evaporated milk to make very simple (no-bake?) fudge. That's not a "rachel ray" recipe anymore than, well, any of Mencia's material is his. She is a fully capable "no frills" cook, but she's like fuckin' 090-level cooking. "To make spaghetti, heat the water first" kinda crap.

Second, the first I *ever* heard of her was seeing her shilling Burger King sandwiches on TV. Just like artists, if you are portraying yourself on TV trying to sell something, you are not to be trusted and have no credibility. I will not take any chef seriously who tells me they eat Burger King. Now, if the commercial was Anthony Bourdain, face covered in white powder, three naked hookers in the back of his excursion, and who are dodging all the empty bottles rolling around the car, and he wanted a whopper at 4AM? Fine. I'd believe that. But this "when I'm not making demi-glace, I want the ex-con deep fryin' me a frozen chicken sammich at BURGER KING!" shit just shows a person with no credibility.

Let me be clear: she's surely a capable cook, but she's no chef. Full disclosure: I'm a capable cook myself. Tell me what to do, tell me what you want, I'll do it to perfection each and every time ('cept the bearnaise, when I made it it would always fuckin' break within 45 minutes). Give me directions, I'll be your favorite man. I'm no chef at all. Tell me to come up with a fish special? fuck you, I'm not the chef. Tell me to make a soup, and there's no leftovers from yesterday that seem to suggest something outright? fuck you, I'm not the chef. You want me to design the menu, or find something to make from the case of tofu that was accidentally ordered? fuck you, I'm not the chef.

If nothing else, there are a number of similarities between Rachel Ray and myself (though my breasts don't look like a penguin's fin). The major difference is that she thinks she deserves her own food empire. She wants to take the most rudimentary cooking imaginable and make herself a star. It works, so bully for her. I just don't think she deserves any accolades. If grocery store checkout lane "51 awesome dessert recipes!" pamphlets could talk, they'd be the Joe Rogan to her Carlos Mencia.

I don't watch much Giada b/c she's got a "Natalie Portman bobblehead" thing going on. Moreover, she may be good, she may be bad (I said nothing about attractiveness, to my recollection, so let it be known that you're the one imposing beauty standards here, and not me). More importantly than that, I don't watch her because she's redundant. If I want to watch an Italian cooking show, I'll watch Batali.

As for the looks thing, if you wanna get uptight about Giada, I'd say Rachel Ray is the redundant counterpart to Paula Deen. If Paula doesn't make it, then that quiet lady on Barefoot Contessa will. Those two, along with Batali, are worth watching on the food network. The only real "show" on Food Network worth watching is Dinner: Impossible, because Robert Irvine is a great chef with the right kind of "shut your fuckin' hole and cook!" approach that every great chef should have.[/quote]I've never seen anyone break down the Food Network so thoroughly.

Bourdain is a blessing and a curse. I have great respect for any kind of person who you can forsee buying a drink and spending hours shooting the shit with (though David Cross sure didn't turn out to be that kind of guy, I've been told). I read "Confidential" at least once a year. The "curse" part comes when I read it and feel the pull to go get a kitchen job again. I could have called it "research," but it's already been done in the field, and better than I could ever aspire to.

Hmm. No luck on finding his blog. Link please?

[quote name='Strell']Ok I was wrong. Not his blog, but here's the story I was alluding to:
http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html[/QUOTE]

RACHAEL: Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough. She’s a friendly, familiar face who appears regularly on our screens to tell us that “Even your dumb, lazy ass can cook this!” Wallowing in your own crapulence on your Cheeto-littered couch you watch her and think, “Hell…I could do that. I ain’t gonna…but I could--if I wanted! Now where’s my damn jug a Diet Pepsi?” Where the saintly Julia Child sought to raise expectations, to enlighten us, make us better--teach us--and in fact, did, Rachael uses her strange and terrible powers to narcotize her public with her hypnotic mantra of Yummo and Evoo and Sammys. “You’re doing just fine. You don’t even have to chop an onion--you can buy it already chopped. Aspire to nothing…Just sit there. Have another Triscuit…Sleep….sleep….”

It doesn't matter to me if Bourdain can cook. I don't know that at all. What I do know is his observations of the culinary world we live in are brutally painful at the same time as they are sad (in that simpering "we can all do better than this, folks" kind of way). Reading that blog made me feel relaxed as if I just had a massage. fucking bliss. Thanks.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Myke, you're absolutely wrong.

Good Eats is the best show on Food TV. ;)[/quote]
qft. Alton brown beats all other food tv hosts (in food knowledge, entertaining way not in the hot rachel ray way).

I like Alton Brown, but I didn't know Good Eats was still on (likewise, I didn't know Molto Mario has been off the air, either - death to Giada!). Alton is very good, and I like that he explains, like the science nerd he is, why foods turn out this way when you use this ingredient or technique; it's great compared to "put in bowl and stir" kinds of shows.

And, while I'm not relenting on Ray at all, she is at least better than that woman who opens the fucking cans. I can't wait until she shows us how to prepare a meal in advance by tearing the lid offa microwave can of Chef Boyardee.

bread's done
Back