John's big thread of site news, fixes, updates, and more! Something broken? Report it here.

Sorry about that folks, the connection issue should be sorted. We're right in the middle of getting the new system tested and bugs ironed out, the new collection system (and everything else) should be a monumental improvement over what you're all used to. 

If I am at the CheapAssGamer.com homepage, I see a link to the Super Secret Moderator's Forum (I'm not a mod, so no access) under Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle.

However, once I click on any forum, I no longer see Super Secret Moderator's Foum under Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle.

I only see it on the CAG homepage.

Just a heads up!

Sorry about that folks, the connection issue should be sorted. We're right in the middle of getting the new system tested and bugs ironed out, the new collection system (and everything else) should be a monumental improvement over what you're all used to.
Thanks!

xenForo 2.1 is released. Were are we now...?

Err... Anyone here know the trick to link your twitch account to CAG so that it shows when you're streaming? I tried using just my username, "/username" and "twitch.tv/username" but they all don't seem to work. It will not allow me to add the full URL to my twitch profile, says it exceeds the length of characters.

I'd appreciate any help.

Error: Unable to connect to tcp://10.30.200.20:9200. Error: Connection refused

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fixed. It was a pain in the arse because we had to update to a secure version of elasticsearch (in which a bunch of features had been changed, requiring recoding).

There seems to be a problem with posting.  Once you hit post it just hangs.  If you refresh the post is there.  Confirmed the issue is with numerous people in the XBL Deals thread.

On PC if I post a reply it says "saving post" in lower right corner and just stays. I have to refresh page to see my post

There seems to be a problem with posting. Once you hit post it just hangs. If you refresh the post is there. Confirmed the issue is with numerous people in the XBL Deals thread.
On PC if I post a reply it says "saving post" in lower right corner and just stays. I have to refresh page to see my post
Same. Windows 10 + latest Chrome.

The green box with smaller white box goes away and then the browser window stays the same and the dialog box says "Saving post..."

What images are allowed to be posted?  I've tried gifs and jpgs from different sites, but I get the same "this extension is not allowed" message.

What images are allowed to be posted? I've tried gifs and jpgs from different sites, but I get the same "this extension is not allowed" message.
Gifs and JPGs are fine to post. Your URL probably contains something at the end, like pic.gif:132084 or whatever that some sites have. Just delete the stuff after .gif/.jpg and it should work.

Notice: You're leaving Cheap Ass Gamer
The link you clicked is to a site not on CAG, and not on our approved whitelist of safe domain names. Be careful!

Could we PLEASE get Brickseek links whitelisted so we don’t have to see this every time? It’s quite annoying.

For the past few weeks, I have a notification icon/alert yet the drop down bar just loads and never stops spinning. I’ve tried on mobile, iPad, and safari on an iMac. Now I have 4 notifications and still can’t see anything. Is this a known bug?

For the past few weeks, I have a notification icon/alert yet the drop down bar just loads and never stops spinning. I’ve tried on mobile, iPad, and safari on an iMac. Now I have 4 notifications and still can’t see anything. Is this a known bug?
Same exact problem here. It's been doing this 99% of the time for the past month, maybe a little longer than that.

FYI, I'm having the "notification drop down menu doesn't load" issue mentioned in the above posts.

The messenger drop down menu loads fine, however.

I'm trying to upload an image to the Gallery so that I can use it in a forum message, but I can't seem to upload it.  I can create a new gallery folder, use the file browser to locate the local PNG file, but clicking UPLOAD does nothing.  I notice that the "advanced upload" option uses Flash 9, so I'm starting to think that file uploads aren't a current feature.

Is there way to add images to a forum post, other than off-site links?

We are beyond 2.1 now. We're now on 2.2.9. There is a lot of features that would improve retention to CAG. Hell, you don't even need a mobile app anymore. If you're coding a mobile app for this, it could be your secondary app... :)
Trust me, I'm more desperate than anyone to get off Invision - we have a custom importer undergoing testing at the moment which should bring our conversion time down to days (rather than the stock system's weeks), we're fixing up all the retailer scanning routines to get price data solid for launch, and soon we'll be locking down the old collection system to begin converting lists and collections over to the new format.

Oh, and, John... I'm getting a 503 server page via cloudflare.

Cloudflare is trash.
Where/when are you getting a 503? Just on a regular page view?

Trust me, I'm more desperate than anyone to get off Invision - we have a custom importer undergoing testing at the moment which should bring our conversion time down to days (rather than the stock system's weeks), we're fixing up all the retailer scanning routines to get price data solid for launch, and soon we'll be locking down the old collection system to begin converting lists and collections over to the new format.

Where/when are you getting a 503? Just on a regular page view?
1. It has been 5 Years. What have you been doing with the import? It would have been a lot easier if you just look into the xenForo forums and look around. Many people recommended MySiteGuy. And I'm [now] one of them. I imported a IPB/IPS board to xenForo with HIS help. The standalone importer [offered by xenForo themselves] currently works, but it used to have issues with IPB/IPS.

2. I responded to a thread, and then it gave me a 503 error right after. I had to refresh to see the post that you just quoted.

EDIT: It was the regular website, not the mobile app. Yeah, forgot about that.

I’m not suggesting we’ve been working on the importer for five years, we haven’t. I’m just giving an update on where we’re at right now. It’s obviously been far from smooth getting to this point for a myriad of reasons, but importing the forum data from Invision to XF is not one of the outstanding issues.

I’m not suggesting we’ve been working on the importer for five years, we haven’t. I’m just giving an update on where we’re at right now. It’s obviously been far from smooth getting to this point for a myriad of reasons, but importing the forum data from Invision to XF is not one of the outstanding issues.
When will the new version go live, or when's the anticipated time line?

Weird site question...

I notice that the front page of CAG has various deals that appear to be cross-posted on Twitter... however, as far as I can tell, none of those "front page deals" are linked to forum posts.

In theory, shouldn't all "front page" deals have a forum thread for the deal as well?  Right now I don't see any way to view/comment upon those within CAG, and it's weird knowing that one can "miss out" on deals because they aren't posted in the Video Game Deals forums.

I show that I have notifications next to the envelope icon at the top but every time I click on it, it the loading icon just keeps spinning. I have tried it on Edge and Chrome on two different laptops. The notification loads on mobile though but I can't seem to get them to go away even after clicking on each one.

I show that I have notifications next to the envelope icon at the top but every time I click on it, it the loading icon just keeps spinning. I have tried it on Edge and Chrome on two different laptops. The notification loads on mobile though but I can't seem to get them to go away even after clicking on each one.
I'm the opposite, I never see any notifications but people have quoted me since I last posted.

And I still can't update my signature.

This site seriously needs fixes/improvements.

Realistically, when can we expect updates to this site? It just feels like these forums are plagued with technical errors for me (can't update signature, notifications/new messages pop up on some devices and not others) and it doesn't seem like there's much happening to upgrade the site or fix issues. I get forums aren't as popular anymore but CAG still seems fairly active... 

Not sure if this is happening to everyone or just me, but every time I click on another section in the forums I see my browser flash white for a second. I could possibly make a short video to demonstrate what's happening if needed.

Update, here's the video of it happening twice. It usually happens everytime, and always for CAG and not other sites.

Edit: It was a FireFox issue.

bread's done
Back