Jump Ultimate Stars (DS) $29.90 - Weekly Special at Play-Asia

Very nice price :). I actually bought mine for $20 used while in japan and was mad that i didnt get extra copies for my friends, looks like many can pick it up this week though!

Any risk that this might go OOS before 6 days are up? I'd like to wait for a few responses to PM's about trades before I bite, but I don't want to miss out and kick myself later when it goes back up.

not a very popular title, this is like the 3rd sale i've seen for this game in the past 3 months. i have superstars but i didn't like it much so i'm ont he fence on this one.

[quote name='LiK']not a very popular title, this is like the 3rd sale i've seen for this game in the past 3 months. i have superstars but i didn't like it much so i'm ont he fence on this one.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure this is a VERY popular title.

[quote name='linkpwns']I'm pretty sure this is a VERY popular title.[/quote]

not really, i've never seen it on any top ten lists in japan sales for DS games.

hey, you guys proved me wrong, good for you. that list is from nov 2006 but whatever

EXStrike, i never said the game sucked. ex: Okami is an excellent game and it sold like shit in Japan

[quote name='LiK']i have superstars but i didn't like it much so i'm ont he fence on this one.[/quote]

[quote name='EXStrike']Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean everyone else didn't.[/quote]

I never said you did.

[quote name='EXStrike']I never said you did.[/quote]

fine. i just noticed you're a fellow townie, huhu.

It's been $40 for as long as I can remember. Seeing this on Ebay for cheap is unlikely.

No matter how I contort myself, I really can't pull the trigger on this game.

I have a friend who bought this when he was in Japan and he's been bugging me to buy a copy...
I can't pull the trigger yet, though. Maybe I can convince some other buddies to get copies too.

I really had wanted to get JSS, but then with this version coming out, being newer and with WiFi, I could never bring myself to buy Super Stars. I probably will pick this up, sometime this week.

Great deal. Bought this for $50 and was not disappointed. Definitely an improvement over JSS, and a great game even for $50 IMO. It's been $40 at Playasia since their Lucky Lunar sale, so for $30 this is a steal and a half!

Definetly worth it, gameplay is awesome and all the koma and partners you can use make it have more depth then you imagine for this kinda game. Though only negative I can think is recent/more popular anime is favored more in the game then past ones (Kenshin and Slam Dunk come to mind), while One Piece basically gets the whole roster and then some in there (Three different Luffy's).

I'm not really into Anime all that much so is this game still worth it? Is the gameplay compelling enough to warrant a purchase or is it a combination of descent gameplay and awesome fan service that elevates this game to great status?

I also know a kid who loves Anime and Smash Brothers and was wondering how text heavy is it?

Last question, has Playasia ever had Ouendan as their weekly special? If not, how likely of a candidate do you think it'd be?

uggggggh...I don't need any more games.

but on the other hand its JUS! it would be my first DS import! it's one of the top rated DS games!

on the other hand, look at my backlog; at least 10 or 15 games I've barely touched/started, and so many others that I'd like to go back to

on the other hand, I really don't have any fighting games on the DS, and I absolutely adore the Smash Bros. series

on the other hand, I'm not really into manga, at all really. I have a couple one piece games and that's it

on the other hand....

no. NO. there IS NO OTHER HAND.

[quote name='Melatonin']uggggggh...I don't need any more games.

but on the other hand its JUS! it would be my first DS import! it's one of the top rated DS games!

on the other hand, look at my backlog; at least 10 or 15 games I've barely touched/started, and so many others that I'd like to go back to

on the other hand, I really don't have any fighting games on the DS, and I absolutely adore the Smash Bros. series

on the other hand, I'm not really into manga, at all really. I have a couple one piece games and that's it

on the other hand....

no. NO. there IS NO OTHER HAND.[/quote]

it is a lot of fun. I play the game basically just for the Hunter x Hunter Characters, but it is still deh fun!

Fan service is pretty much non-existent. Considering its a sprite fighting game, theres nothing to be serviced with as far as sexual content goes.

However, if you mean fan service as in letting you play the characters from your beloved childhood (saint seiya, dragon ball, kenshin, slam dunk, Captain Tsubasa, yu yu hakusho) then yes, thats all this is about.

Basically, if you dont want to read the tons of reviews there are out there, telling you that a nonspeaker can enjoy this, then heres the deal.

There are stages with missions, and the objectives are in japanese. There are faqs out there that help you 100%, so theres no need for the language. However, I suggest printing them out or something because if you dont have them around (read: internet connection, like travelling by bus) then you are SOL at that moment.

Also, the learning curve is not that big, once you figure out what each option means at every different prompt window (there are tons of those) then it becomes habit whether you want to build a deck, modify the deck, change the name, make a copy, delete it, replace it, etc.

The learning curve for fighting, though, is a little wider. Some characters are your run of the mill punchers, like seiya and luffy. But others are a little harder to use. So theres definitely depth when it comes to figuring out their respective strategies.

You can connect online, but ive yet to do so.

Its a fun game. and dont worry, spanish is my first language, english is my second, its not like im learning japanese one bit, but you basically have to rely on common sense. For example, the missions, more often than not, have similar objectives. considering you already know the meaning of a couple, you could stumble upon more objectives later on that have the same Kanji (japanese letters) than previous missions. All I did was compare and see if it was the same type of mission.

Then you collect more characters, and you evolve them with some type (6 types actually) of currency. Thats basically it.

[quote name='okwordyoda']I'm not really into Anime all that much so is this game still worth it? Is the gameplay compelling enough to warrant a purchase or is it a combination of descent gameplay and awesome fan service that elevates this game to great status?

I also know a kid who loves Anime and Smash Brothers and was wondering how text heavy is it?

Last question, has Playasia ever had Ouendan as their weekly special? If not, how likely of a candidate do you think it'd be?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Weedy649']Very nice price :). I actually bought mine for $20 used while in japan and was mad that i didnt get extra copies for my friends, looks like many can pick it up this week though![/QUOTE]
Hopefully that's the standard going rate for a used copy in Japan right now. I'm moving to Japan in four weeks and this'll probably be one of my first game-related purchases once I get there.

alright i'm giving in. but i've never ordered from play-asia, and i was wondering about this: "Total value does not contain any duty & taxes for destinations outside Hong Kong. Please ALWAYS ask your local customs office if in doubt (Duty free import USA up to US$200, E.U. EUR 22). Duty & tax consists of your local GST/VAT rate and a processing fee. Play-Asia.com cannot predict the amount of these fees and cannot be held liable for any loss or damage as a result of any duties & fees or possible inaccurate information herein."

do they charge extra or something, or do i have nothing to worry about?

[quote name='Melatonin']alright i'm giving in. but i've never ordered from play-asia, and i was wondering about this: "Total value does not contain any duty & taxes for destinations outside Hong Kong. Please ALWAYS ask your local customs office if in doubt (Duty free import USA up to US$200, E.U. EUR 22). Duty & tax consists of your local GST/VAT rate and a processing fee. Play-Asia.com cannot predict the amount of these fees and cannot be held liable for any loss or damage as a result of any duties & fees or possible inaccurate information herein."

do they charge extra or something, or do i have nothing to worry about?[/quote]

When I imported one DS game from Play-Asia, I had no problem with any of that. You just pay the price plus the shipping fee ($2.60 for a DS game). I recall in earlier threads people bringing this up, but there were never any problems.

[quote name='garfep']Screw it, in for one.[/QUOTE]

The same thing went through my mind! I missed out on the first one (too addicted to Ouendan) but now seems like the perfect time to give this game a try.

I bit. Been wanting this forever, and $30 for a badass import is a sexy sexy bargain.

[quote name='Master Shake']What other titles are worth importing for the psp or ds? I may have to pick something else up with this game.[/quote]

For the DS there's Ouendan 1 and 2, as well as Daigasso Band Brothers. I've yet to play Daigasso, but I've heard many good things. The two Ouendan games are magnificent (Japanese versions of EBA, and superior IMO).

Taiko Drum Master DS is also coming out at the end of this month, and comes with two nifty drum styli, though that'd be a preorder. I need to order mine sometime this month. :p

[quote name='Master Shake']What other titles are worth importing for the psp or ds? I may have to pick something else up with this game.[/QUOTE]

Some really really great games

Jump Super Stars, the prequel to this game

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-7e3v-71-9g-49-en-84-j-70-eud.html

Ouendan 1 (great music game)

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-7e3v-71-9g-77-1-49-en-15-Ouendan-84-j-70-q2z.html

Ouendan 2 (sheesh, same price as 1)

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-7e3v-71-9g-49-en-84-j-70-1v6e.html

diagasso band brothers (another great music game)

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-7e3v-71-9g-49-en-15-band+brothers-84-j-70-d7p.html

Not a Anime fan, but I have been looking for something different for my DS and had some paypal from ebay sitting around so I bit. I was hoping it would turn up here in Tampa at a pawn shop (happens from time to time with imports) but that could take forever.

I played a bit of JSS(which I managed to snag for free from Amazon due to some shipping snaffus :) and I was pretty underwhelmed. Bleach DS 2nd blows it out of the water in terms of gameplay. I do prefer the traditional fighters like SF, KOF, GG, etc, compared to SSB, so that made a big part of my opinion. No voices in fighting games hurt too. They should have doubled the cart size(I think it's 64MB or less) and included voices.

[quote name='Melatonin']
do they charge extra or something, or do i have nothing to worry about?[/QUOTE]

I've never been charged extra by customs for games. I did get have to cough up extra for a GP2X from play-asia. I'm living in S. Korea right now so it may be totally different for the U.S.A.

Why isn't the field to enter the coupon code showing up? Has anybody got a $5 off $50 coupon to work?

I've got an extra code if anybody wants.

[quote name='monkeypox']picked one up... thanks, OP.

also noticed that GC DDR mario mix w/pad (japanese version) is $29.90.[/quote]

Note that shipping for this item is like $27. I was about to buy it last night until I found that out. :cry:

[quote name='scf038']Why isn't the field to enter the coupon code showing up? Has anybody got a $5 off $50 coupon to work?[/quote]

Can't use coupons for weekly specials, like you can't use coupons for sales (like the lucky lunar sale earlier this year).

Daigasso recommendations? Bleh. A music game with terrible MIDI? That's like an art game in braille. I don't recommend it at all, and I'm a huge rhythm game fan.

I believe I'm in the minority there for some reason, though.

Excellent fighter. If you like *any* Shonen Jump Manga, you have no excuse not to get it. Just a word of caution; if you want to 100% the game, you'll need a FAQ or extensive knowledge of Japanese alphabet. It is however, easy enough to beat without a guide, as I did.

Easily in my top 5 for NDS games.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Excellent fighter. If you like *any* Shonen Jump Manga, you have no excuse not to get it. Just a word of caution; if you want to 100% the game, you'll need a FAQ or extensive knowledge of Japanese alphabet. It is however, easy enough to beat without a guide, as I did.

Easily in my top 5 for NDS games.[/quote]

Agreed- I only liked/knew of a few manga seires when I bought Jump Superstars, but I actually got interested in a few more from the game, and as I unlock characters they're still fun to play with even though I have no idea who they are!

You also need a lot of patience if you're looking for 100%- it can get extremely aggravating. :bomb:

Yeah, I basically picked it up just because, of the 20+ DS games I have, none of them is a fighter. If this is even half as good as the reviews say, it's worth having even if I can't understand all of the crazy extra modes and stuff. With the GameFAQs menu translation/walkthrough, just the Arena is fine by me.

After constantly thinking about it the last twenty four hours I bit. It's just too good of a deal to pass up. While I was at it I decided to treat myself to a copy of Ouendan from yesasian.com as well. My total for two imports was 72.99 which is about what you'd pay for two brand new DS games in the States. I'm very happy about that, thanks OP!

bread's done
Back