Jushin "Thunder" Liger's wrestling topic

Saucy Jack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Say hello to the last wrestling topic of 2005, which will also be the first wrestling topic of 2006! And...

Say hello to Jushin "Thunder" Liger!

justinthunderliger5kw.jpg

Keichi Yamada was born on November 30, 1964 in Hiroshima, Japan.
Yamada first began wrestling in high school, and afterwards applied
to New Japan Pro Wrestling in the 80s, but was not accepted because
of the height requirements they had at the time. However, Yamada's
small size allowed him to go to Mexico and learn Lucha Libre in April

Yamada was scouted in Mexico by NJPW executive Kotetsu Yamamoto.
Yamamoto saw that Yamada was poor and starving, but also saw that
the young wrestler had much potential. He asked Yamada to return
to Japan. Yamada trained very hard under such greats as Shinya
Hashimoto, Keiji Muto, Masahiro Chono, Akira Nogami, and Masaharu
Funaki in the New Japan Pro Dojo. He made his Japanese professional
wrestling debut against Shunji Kosugi at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo on March
3, 1984. He then beat Tatsutoshi Goto to win the second annual Young Lions
Championship Tournament at Tokyo Metropolitan Gym on March 26, 1986.
Yamada left for England on September 26, 1986 and wrestled there as
Flying Fuji Yamada. He beat Rollerball Mark Rocco to win the All Star
World Heavy Middleweight Title in Croydon, England on March 3, 1987.

Yamada returned to Japan on August 11, 1987. On August 20, 1987 at Sumo Hall, he shocked fans around the world by showing them a move that he had created...
The Shooting Star Press. He came up with the move by reading a manga.

On January 4, 1989, Yamada left for Canada. He was already armed with
a wonderful blend of martial arts and aerial moves, but was always wanting
to learn more styles. As Keichi Yamada, he wrestled for Stu Hart's Calgary
Stampede Wrestling. Impressed by Yamada, Stu agreed to train him. His experiences in the Dungeon led Yamada to refer to Stu as a "very, very tough man." However, to this day, he credits his Dungeon training with helping to make him the legend that he is today. "Nobody does wrestling like the Hart family," he says.

NJPW called Yamada back. They had a gimmick that they wanted him to take on. On April 24, 1989, a new wrestler debuted. He wore a mask and his name was Jushin Liger (Jushin is Japanese for "Beast God."). He defeated Kuniaki Kobayashi in 9 minutes, 55 seconds. The character of Jushin Liger was taken from legendary Japanese mangaka ("comic artist") Go Nagai. During this time, there was an anime series called "Jushin Riger." Also, Go Nagai directed the 1995 feature film "Jushin Liger: Fist of Thunder," which starred Yamada/Liger. Liger added "Thunder" to his name in January, 1990.

Liger quickly became one of the top Junior Heavyweights in NJPW, capturing the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title 11 times, along with dozens of other belts from around the world. Whenever Liger appears unmasked in public, he makes sure to cover his face with one hand, keeping the character
alive. Liger also became a more grounded, technical fighter and a great "storyteller" in addition to his high-flying arsenal. In 1996, Liger was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. He had it removed, and it left him deaf in one ear. 14 days later, he returned to action and was able to adapt his style to reduce the strain on his body while still being able to wow the crowds.

Today, Liger is still going strong and is as impressive as ever. He is truly a legend...

Finishing and Signature Moves:

* Brainbuster
* Super Brainbuster
* Running Liger Bomb (Running sitout powerbomb)
* CTB - Crash Thunder Buster
* Shotei (Thrust palm strike)
* Rolling Koppou kick (Rolling wheel kick)
* Shooting Star Press
* Fisherman Buster
* Super Fisherman Buster (Top rope Fisherman Buster)
* Frog Splash
* Romero Special (Surfboard)
* Pescado

Championships Held:

* 11-Time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 4-Time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion (with El Samurai, Koji Kanemoto, Minoru Tanaka and The Great Sasuke)
* 1-Time GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time WCW World Light Heavyweight Champion (also known as the first incarnation of the WCW Cruiserweight Title)
* 2-Time MPW British Commonwealth Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time NWA Welterweight Champion
* 1-Time Osaka Pro Tag Team Champion (with Takehiro Murahama)
* 1-Time UWA Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion (with El Samurai)
* 1-Time WAR International Junior Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time WWA Junior Light Heavyweight Champion
* 1-Time WWF Light Heavyweight Champion

Speaking of Liger, in that botches video Jack linked in the last topic, a guy totally screws up a springboard move, and Liger clowns him by staring down at him and clapping.

[quote name='Genocidal']Good choice for a topic, although it doesn't surprise me that he's who you picked ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, who better to bring in the New Year than a legend like Liger? :D

Ikari No Jyuushin

Moyase Moyase
Ikari o moyase
Hashire Hashire
Ashita e hashire
Ikari no honoo ga ten o tsukiyaburu
Haikyo no naka kara tachiagare Raigaa
Kiseki no baio-aamaa(bio-armor) ga tatakau itami o kanjitemo
Osorerumono wa nanimonai
Jashin o tatakitsubusu made
Raigaa Soodo(Lyger Sword)
Sora o kirisaku seinaru tsurugi
Raigaa Surasshu(Lyger Slash)
Inazuma todoroku
Shinku no Faiyaa(Fire)
Raigaa Raigaa Raigaa(Lyger Lyger Lyger)
Ikari no Jyuushin Raigaa(Lyger)

Moyase Moyase
Ikari o moyase
Tsukame Tsukame
Jiyuu o tsukame
Jaaku na kurokumo chijou o tsutsumikomu
Gareki no naka kara yomigaeru Raigaa(Lyger)
Noroi no jashin tojikometa
Taiko no kami no chikara saemo
Oyobanu ima wa seikimatsu
Yuusha o mezamesaseru toki
Raigaa Soodo (Lyger Sword)
Kami ga ataeta seigi no tsurugi
Raigaa Surasshu (Lyger Sword)
Seinaru chi o hiku
Warera no faitaa (fighter)
Raigaa Raigaa Raigaa (Lyger Lyger Lyger)
Ikari no Jyuushin Raigaa (Lyger)

"Raigaa Soodo"
Kami ga ataeta seigi no tsurugi
"Raigaa Surasshu!"
Seinaru chi o hiku
Warera no faitaa
Raigaa Raigaa Raigaa
Ikari no Jyuushin Raigaa

The Rage of the Beast God

Burn! Burn!
Burn with rage...
Rush! Rush!
Rush towards tomorrow...
The raging flames are piercing the sky...
Rise from the center of the ruins! Lyger!!
The wonder of the bio-armor is feeling damage from the battle
There's nothing to fear till you smash up the evil spirits.
Lyger Sword!
Tear the sky with the holy sword.
Lyger Slash!!
Roaring a lightning flash.
True red fire...
Lyger...! Lyger...!! Lyger...!!!
The Rage of Beast God Lyger!

Burn! Burn!
Burn with rage...
Seize it! Seize it!
Seize the freedom...
An evil dark cloud devours the ground above.
From the center of the the ruins, is the revived Lyger!
The evil god's curse has been sealed.
Even the power of the god from ancient times has reached the end of the century now.
It's time to wake up the hero.
Lyger Sword!
The sword of justice is given by God.
"Lyger Slash!!

Emerged from holy blood, is our fighter
The Rage of Beast God, Lyger!
Lyger Sword!
Tear the sky with the holy sword.
Lyger Slash!!
Roaring a lightning flash.
True red fire...
The Rage of Beast God Lyger

I watched Halloween Havoc 1989 earlier.

...the dynamic dudes!

...The Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious version)!

...Doom's debut (and Woman looked attractive for once)!

...Muta and Funk versus Sting and Flair in the thunderdome cage submission match! Great match, not helped by the fact that the announcer who wasn't Jim Ross had no idea what was going on. The only thing this show was missing was PN News.

So does he ever poke an eye out with that mask? I'd like to see his face. Like, how old he looks. Because, when I first say Rey Mysterio unmasked, he looked a lot older than I thought he was.

Shooting Star Press. Didn't Brock Lesnar injure himself with that?

Downloading botchfest now.

I made a music vid with some clips from Japanese matches awhile ago. If I can find it I'll post it.

Clicked the botchfest link, it comes up unavailable.

I downloaded the nutshots. Man, some of those look painful. Actually, just about all of them do. :X

Almost forgot that TNA Impact is on at 8pm tonight and then the half hour at midnight. Off to set the vcr.

I can't dl either video.

FWIW, Liger is one ugly, ugly man. I have a video somewhere with him getting his mask ripped about 75% off. If I could convert VHS still, I'd be happy to search for it. Shame I sold my mac a year ago.

sting comes out at midnight. Tenay just said it in one of those hinting ways (the big suprise of 2006 occurs at midnight is what he said).

As far as the TNA Bloodiest Brawls DVD....

A) TNA pulled the original Bloodiest Brawls DVD as they were going towards a more "family friendly" produict when they pulled it. Likewise they felt the DVD wasn't "family friendly" so they pulled it.

B) The forthcoming Bloodiest Brawls DVD is NOT the same one that they released. Henseforth the original Brawls is going to be worth quite a bit down the road I would imagine.

Damn it... good thing I saw this topic otherwise I would of forgotten Impact was on early tonight (yes the biggest TNA fanboy of CAG almost forgot when it was on lol). What did I miss in the first 15 minutes anyways?

[quote name='mykevermin']I watched Halloween Havoc 1989 earlier.

...the dynamic dudes!

...The Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious version)!

...Doom's debut (and Woman looked attractive for once)!

...Muta and Funk versus Sting and Flair in the thunderdome cage submission match! Great match, not helped by the fact that the announcer who wasn't Jim Ross had no idea what was going on. The only thing this show was missing was PN News.[/QUOTE]

Yo, baby, yo, baby, yo!!!:rofl:

Jeff Jarrett and Monty Brown vs. elix skipper (isn't that the black guy in diamonds in the rough?) and sharkboy

Rhyno vs. one of the guys in team canada

Samoa Joe vs. Roderick Strong

Also Konnan beat up bullet bob along with some other guys which are going to be in his new group.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Jeff Jarrett and Monty Brown vs. elix skipper (isn't that the black guy in diamonds in the rough?) and sharkboy

Rhyno vs. one of the guys in team canada

Samoa Joe vs. Roderick Strong

Also Konnan beat up bullet bob along with some other guys which are going to be in his new group.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't Elix Skipper but some dude named Kenny King. That match was just plain stupid.

[quote name='cdeener']It wasn't Elix Skipper but some dude named Kenny King. That match was just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the correction. I only caught the end of the match and I thought I saw a diamond on his ass

[quote name='CaseyRyback']thanks for the correction. I only caught the end of the match and I thought I saw a diamond on his ass[/QUOTE]

No it was just two Ks put togehter with one backward and the other forward.

Styles & Daniels vs. AMW on the midnight show. Should be pretty good.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']thanks for the correction. I only caught the end of the match and I thought I saw a diamond on his ass[/QUOTE]

That's almost sig-worthy.:lol:

I missed the whole thing. Damn I forgot, oh well. There is a hour and half one coming on tuesday morning/monday night from 12 am to 1:30 am. I hope that one is tonight's repeated.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Damn it... good thing I saw this topic otherwise I would of forgotten Impact was on early tonight (yes the biggest TNA fanboy of CAG almost forgot when it was on lol). What did I miss in the first 15 minutes anyways?[/QUOTE]
Looks like I'll be putting my new PWT account to work once I get back home next week.

[quote name='cdeener']No it was just two Ks put togehter with one backward and the other forward.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, Kenny King was the complete and total bastard from Tough Enough (S1 or 2).

HOMICIDE!!! YEAH!!! I watched that as we were waiting for friends and family to come over for some drinking, and everything I say about Samoa Joe, I say about Homicide. He's more of a brawler, but he's just fuckin' incredible. He was the raspy puerto rican with Konnan, FWIW.

[quote name='vrs1650']Anyone with a link of Stings debut.[/QUOTE]

Sting never showed up, they just announced that he's now a part of the TNA roster.

Both Impact shows were pretty much crap IMO.

[quote name='Adamin Plaidum']Man, here's a second on that recommendation. 3 really good, 5-6 minute matches here, with some neat, innovative moves. Burchill has a bright future, definitely. He's fairly large, intense, and good in the ring. With Regal as a mouthpiece, he's ready for a push now. Simon Dean has the best gimmick in WWE right now, with the way things in America are going. Noble's dragon sleeper/body scissors finisher is money. It's a move he can hit on someone of any size. I hope we get Noble/Dean vs. Kendrick/London next week.[/quote]

I haven't watched Velocity yet, but the dragon sleeper/body scissors hurts like hell when applied with full force... especially when someone else is applying a figure four to you at the same time, tryingto end your unbeaten streak.

Anyway, Ihave a $50 Tower Records gift card. What's the best TNA DVD from this list? http://www.towerrecords.com/Video/D...ng&oft=tna wrestling&free_text=tna wrestling&

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That was pretty good. They burned any bridges with WWE with that but I am sure they aren't the only ones who feel like that.[/QUOTE]

that was some good fuckIN shit mother fuckER :D

(i didn't want to go around the filter but their language in that interview made me)

Also when are they going to come out as the James gang? I can't wait to see those guys work together as a tag team again

[quote name='Matt Young']I always have been a Triple H fan, but this shit is gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Jz46dHxK_Do

It's the New Age Outlaws shooting on HHH.[/QUOTE]

God, if anything that clip makes me like HHH a lot more. Those two came off as sorry, washed-up hicks. Do those two really think H was the reason they never got higher up the card then they did? Yeah Kip, "The One" Billy Gunn would have been money in the bank for WWE if that dastardly Hunter hadn't held him back. And for them to call H a backstabber for turning them in for drug use? Yeah, what a dick. :roll: The only thing funny here was BG questioning H's ridiculous mustache, which he immediately made unfunny by saying it again. And as for H holding back Orton, Randy's on Smackdown now, far away from H, and he's completely boring. What a couple of pathetic losers.

Q: "Why are you askin' so many damn questions about Hunter?"

A: Because nobody has given a shit about you two losers since the 90s.

[quote name='Matt Young']Anyway, Ihave a $50 Tower Records gift card. What's the best TNA DVD from this list? http://www.towerrecords.com/Video/D...ng&oft=tna wrestling&free_text=tna wrestling&[/QUOTE]

My picks in this order.

Best Of X Division Volume 1 (in fact this is an ESSENTIAL must own)
Heaven Sent Hell Bound: The Best Of Christopher Daniels (comes out Jan. 10th)
Phenominal: The Best Of AJ Styles
Nevermore: The Best Of Raven

I really fucking love youtube.com, a big thanks to Scorch for introducing me (and everyone else who caught wind of this a couple of threads ago) to this site, I can't get enough of it.

[quote name='Matt Young']Oops, I forgot- Thanks for the opinions, Demoman.[/quote]

No problem. Wanna hear something funny... the "bug" in Opera 9.0 Tech Beta 1 (or whatever its called) keeps speading up and down animated GIFs. Needless to say... your Ric Flair animation keeps speeding up and down. Very funny to watch.. that one and the TNG car one that is. Especially when the TNG one is going fast. I swear Picard almost looks like Cheapy D in fact. :lol:

bread's done
Back