Kid Icarus Uprising $29.99 at Best Buy

AdventX

CAGiversary!
As the title reads, Kid Icarus Uprising is $29.99 at Best Buy.

Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kid+Ica...8280317&skuId=2856614&st=kid icarus&lp=1&cp=1

I pre-ordered through best buy so I hope I get this price when I pick it up. It would be nice to get the pre-order bonus and the sale price. Hopefully amazon will price match this!

UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO ORDERED ON OR BEFORE 03/23 THROUGH AMAZON:

From Amazon Representative:

"Customers who ordered Kid Icarus on or before 03/23 direct from Amazon will either have the price of their order reduced to $29.99 or will get a refund for the price difference between $29.99 and the price they ordered the game at within 3-5 business days.
Please note that this only applies to orders shipped and sold by Amazon."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP for posting this, I was about to use up the last of my Kmart gift card on this but I'll save it in exchange for $10 off. Too bad that I didn't preorder it and get the 3D classic, but in all honesty I probably wasn't going to play it much/at all anyway.

My two cents about the controls: I'm about 5 chapters in and so far they haven't bothered me all that much. They are definitely awkward, especially during the ground segments, but the game designers know that they are awkward and at least so far there hasn't been anything that has given me much trouble because of the controls. No question that they could be better, but for me personally they aren't game breaking. I haven't tried it with the stand yet.

[quote name='caltab']I am not a Nintendo troll in any way whatsoever. I bought a 3ds at midnight the day of release. I have, and like, pretty much every first party game. I am sorry, but I just don't like this game due to its controls, especially the ground parts. I was looking forward to this game too.

I have not read a review that hasn't criticized the controls and the developer felt the need to include a stand to try and help. Most people seem to like the game despite its flaws, but the consensus is pretty clear that it has substandard controls.[/QUOTE]

I consider myself a pretty big Nintendo fan, maybe on the verge of fanboy some might say who know me in real life. I got the 3ds day one and have loved several games for it. That being said, even with changing the controls to all the different options I can't get past how poor they are in terms of aiming and camera use. So frustrating and a big disappointment for me. Maybe I'm not a fanboy because I can admit when I don't like a game. To say I dislike Kid Icarus would be an understatement.

I caved and took my copy from Amazon to Gamestop to trade it in and with the 60% trade bonus I got 28 in credit for it. I'll take it since I got it for 19.99 from amazon after a $10 credit lol

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']I asked Amazon to price match and was told that they wouldn't...?

Any word on how you guys pulled this off? The pricematch that is.[/QUOTE]

Amazon didn't and doesn't pricematch. They have a preorder price guarantee that states that if the price drops any time from when you place your order till midnight on the release day, they will give you the best price.

Apparently they dropped to $29.99 some time late last night

I got an email from Amazon saying they were refunding me $10 since I preordered. And since I had a $20 credit they gave me from the KOA pricedrop deal, I end up getting the game for $10 with the KI Classic code

I'm one of those rabid Nintendo fanatics y'all are talking about. I've been fiending for KI:U since it was announced 22 months ago but I can certainly admit when something is amiss.

I think the controls are weird or unorthodox but they are by no means completely broken or "atrocious". At first I couldn't get the hang of it, especially the ground stages, but eventually I got used it. There are plenty of control options to help adjust to taste. Tweaking it won't be perfect but will alleviate the problems somewhat. Also, there's another thread saying Nintendo may fix the controls with updates or patches?

I must concede I was disappointed by this because first party Nintendo games are usually polished to perfection and I would have sworn that they'd rather delay than to release a highly anticipated game with such issues.

That aside, the game really is fun, challenging and has lots of re-playability and depth (literally and figuratively). This game definitely has the best use of 3D than any other 3DS game so far and I found the humor and gameplay are enjoyable to me.

However, with this misstep in controls and the game-breaking Skyward Sword glitch I wonder if Nintendo is bowing to pressure and rushing to release highly anticipated games too soon while forsaking quality-control?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SKEETER']I'm one of those rabid Nintendo fanatics y'all are talking about. I've been fiending for KI:U since it was announced 22 months ago but I can certainly admit when something is amiss.

I think the controls are weird or unorthodox but they are by no means completely broken or "atrocious". At first I couldn't get the hang of it, especially the ground stages, but eventually I got used it. There are plenty of control options to help adjust to taste. Tweaking it won't be perfect but will alleviate the problems somewhat. Also, there's another thread saying Nintendo may fix the controls with updates or patches?

I must concede I was disappointed by this because first party Nintendo games are usually polished to perfection and I would have sworn that they'd rather delay than to release a highly anticipated game with such issues.

That aside, the game really is fun, challenging and has lots of re-playability and depth (literally and figuratively). This game definitely has the best use of 3D than any other 3DS game so far and I found the humor and gameplay are enjoyable to me.

However, with this misstep in controls and the game-breaking Skyward Sword glitch I wonder if Nintendo is bowing to pressure and rushing to release highly anticipated games too soon while forsaking quality-control?[/QUOTE]

I'm actually starting to get the same feeling. Skyward Sword I haven't gotten real far in, but doesn't feel as though it was polished, and I'm really unhappy about Kid Icarus releasing at a sale price actually. I think Nintendo is starting to cave to pressure, and it worries me.

[quote name='mweav067']I'm actually starting to get the same feeling. Skyward Sword I haven't gotten real far in, but doesn't feel as though it was polished, and I'm really unhappy about Kid Icarus releasing at a sale price actually. I think Nintendo is starting to cave to pressure, and it worries me.[/QUOTE]

Kid Icarus only had 58,000 pre-orders. I think thats the worst a first party Nintendo game has had in ages. Releasing at a sale price is the only reason me and probably thousands of others even bought the game.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Kid Icarus only had 58,000 pre-orders. I think thats the worst a first party Nintendo game has had in ages. Releasing at a sale price is the only reason me and probably thousands of others even bought the game.[/QUOTE]

Did anyone really except this game to do well? I mean Pit has only been in two games I believe. The NES one and the Super Smash Bros one. Barley anyone has even heard of the guy.

[quote name='Namerson']Did anyone really except this game to do well? I mean Pit has only been in two games I believe. The NES one and the Super Smash Bros one. Barley anyone has even heard of the guy.[/QUOTE]

You pretty much nailed it right there

Where did the 58K number come from?

Also @ Skeeter, this game wasn't rushed. It was supposed to be a launch window title.

The air sections are beyond fantastic, even with the wonky controls. Better then any Star Fox game even. Problem is that they are only 1/3rd of the gameplay. The ground missions are long, boring and control poorly. The amazing item system is negated by the fact that my wrist has been hurting for the past two days. 5/5 air combat with 2/5 ground combat = 3.5/5 game.

My guess is that Nintendo didn't want a Star Fox clone so they added in ground combat. But that's just my guess.

[quote name='codeblue']Where did the 58K number come from?

Also @ Skeeter, this game wasn't rushed. It was supposed to be a launch window title.[/QUOTE]
Seems to be from VGChartz. Of course, Chartz numbers are very unreliable at best, and completely made up at worst, so I wouldn't put any stock in those numbers at all.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']lol it's Jim Sterling who reviewed it. and pretty much everyone else gave it a positive review. stop trolling bro.[/QUOTE]
He gave Assassin's Creed II a 4/10, lol. That means it's better than AC2? WOW!

p.s. Yes, I am aware review comparisons don't work like that. It's a joke (it's very sad to have to put this disclaimer BEFORE I'm trolled).

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Kid Icarus only had 58,000 pre-orders. I think thats the worst a first party Nintendo game has had in ages. Releasing at a sale price is the only reason me and probably thousands of others even bought the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have to admit, the $29.99 price got me to bite. Although as it turns out I wish I would've just pre-ordered to get the code, I meant to (and even had it in my gold box earlier in the week) but life got in the way and I forgot. Oh well, picked up my copy tonight at BB, hoping to get to play it tomorrow. :)

[quote name='Namerson']Did anyone really except this game to do well? I mean Pit has only been in two games I believe. The NES one and the Super Smash Bros one. Barley anyone has even heard of the guy.[/QUOTE]

i was an avid fan of the gameboy version when i was little and played it to death, but that's just me

I did actually expect it to do better. Fire Emblem didn't get released until Marth and Roy were in Super Smash Brothers, and that game did pretty well if I remember right.

*ahem* Actually he has appeared in in Kid Icarus, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, F-1 Race, Tetris, Super Smash Bros. Melee and http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/Kid_Icarus:_Of_Myths_and_MonstersSuper Smash Bros. Brawl. So, there.....kids these days *smh* :roll:

[quote name='Lemarfanz']has anyone used this with CPP?[/QUOTE]

I think the CPP is solely for left handed players. You only use the circle pad, L trigger, and the touch screen to play the game.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']Yes...and several of those were cameos.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, Pit has NOT "...only been in two games..." as they stated.

Nintendo may be considering an update for CPP for dual circle pad controls. I don't know if that will be better for me because almost every aspect of the controls can be adjusted and doing that has made it easier for me. If they do expand on CPP compatibility I will definitely try it out though.

[quote name='Robotuner']I think the CPP is solely for left handed players. You only use the circle pad, L trigger, and the touch screen to play the game.[/QUOTE]

oh wowsas, no kitten.

As a lefty that's pretty pertinent info..

now if only i could find a damn CPP in store...

Sad to see so many people passing on this great game because of the controls being different. It honestly took me 2 minutes to adjust the X-axis sensitivity and jump right in.

Man, do I feel old after reading that. :oldman:

Ordered it online for in -store pickup yesterday. Was going to use my $25 gift card for SSX, but that will go on sale again soon enough. Nintendo game sales are a rarity.

Controls do require some getting used to, but there is a wealth of options to make using the stylus easier. I don't use the stand, since I would have to bend over and I don't want to screw up my back. Otherwise the game is awesome. It's absolutely beautiful and light hearted. The voice work is surprisingly good too and they know that it's a game so they cheese up the dialog a lot. Difficulty is pretty good too and is totally adjustable, no real sign of the trademark Nintendo handholding here.

Also, this game finally put me in Club Nintendo Platinum, awwwwwww yeah. Just wish I had 40 more points to pick up the Luigi 3DS case.

This circle pad pro thing is the wii motion plus all over again as it should have been there to begin with. Nintendo is weird. Sometimes they think ahead and innovate but others times they are behind as well

[quote name='garrett007']Are the ar cards exclusive to bestbuy? Sorry if this was already answered but I'm on my phone[/QUOTE]

I got AR cards in my Amazon version

There's nothing wrong with the controls. People complaining about them are just babies that demand games all be identical and refuse to learn anything new. It's not hard to figure out and if you played Metroid Prime Hunters you're pretty much already there. The World Ends With You was harder to control than this.

Kid Icarus is a fantastic game, with probably the most genuinely funny dialogue in a game this entire generation, tons to unlock and do, fun multiplayer, good music, great use of 3D and it's actually fairly lengthy on single player with technically 90 difficulty levels depending on how much you want to bet. You're only hurting yourself by not picking it up.

Nice. I ordered this on Tuesday from Best Buy, and I just called them to get $10 credited to my account thanks to their Price Match Promise. Thanks TC.

Also, a Kid Icarus Uprising commercial just came on TV as I wrote this. Awesome. :D

wow that i suck got from gamestop cause i i just preorder streetfighter vs tekken and movie from there found my points from bestbuyrewards expire last month so no 10 gc now and ask to them give me mine points back they never reply so say fine i try at gamestop which havnt bought anything from in 2yrs and got this new free game card and got to start off with plus the one for 3ds game 500points

[quote name='Eggman']There's nothing wrong with the controls. People complaining about them are just babies that demand games all be identical and refuse to learn anything new. It's not hard to figure out and if you played Metroid Prime Hunters you're pretty much already there. The World Ends With You was harder to control than this.

Kid Icarus is a fantastic game, with probably the most genuinely funny dialogue in a game this entire generation, tons to unlock and do, fun multiplayer, good music, great use of 3D and it's actually fairly lengthy on single player with technically 90 difficulty levels depending on how much you want to bet. You're only hurting yourself by not picking it up.[/QUOTE]
i agree with you

I enjoy this game and don't really have a preference for air or land battles they both work fairly well with the default controls imo. Simply put this game is awesome and i shouldn't be saying this being a cheapassgamer and all but even if this game were $60 I'd feel it was worth the price.

For those of you who want dual analog, just wait for an Action Replay 3DS and an Action Replay code that enables it.

That's what people did for D-pad controls for The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are about doing the following: buying a couple of copies of KI:U as part of Target's b2g1 sale, then trading them in somewhere to essentially get free packs of AR cards.

I'm not sure what I think yet. I like that it adds to the game's first week sales, but it seems like kind of a hassle for 12-18 "free" AR cards.

AR cards are not worth the hassle, I'd say. ^^

The game, though? It's PHENOMENAL. It not only has a fantastic audio/visual package, but it's absolutely loaded with content. If you want the next Star Fox game, wait no more.It's at least on par with Star Fox 64, with the multiplayer probably pushing it over the edge.

The controls aren't bad, either. The flying controls are perfect. The biggest problem I have comes with the rare segments where you have to traverse an area with bottomless pits. Simply moving around the environment can be a hassle, but you won't notice it much in the heat of combat...assuming there are no gaping holes. Some people seem to hate them, but eh. They give you so many options that it's hard not to find something you can tolerate.

[quote name='Tygamr']Are the AR cards random or preset? If I bought two copies of the game would the AR cards be exactly the same?[/QUOTE]

According to all the reports, you recieve Pit, Palutena, a random support character, a random boss, a random enemy, and a random weapon. There is a 20 card pool used to make packaged boosters I believe.

We gave this game to our now 11 year old for his birthday and he *loves* it. Big hit. I'd like to try it too, but haven't had a chance.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']any owners wanna weigh in on the MP aspect?[/QUOTE]

Take all the chaos of Smash Bros. and apply that to a third person shooter mixed in with a little bit of Custom Robo type customization. It's actually really fun with a good amount of strategy in picking which weapon and what power ups you want to bring with you.

If you haven't seen the multiplayer trailer already, it gives you a pretty good idea of how it works, except it's more frantic and exciting when you're actually playing.

[quote name='Eggman']There's nothing wrong with the controls. People complaining about them are just babies that demand games all be identical and refuse to learn anything new. It's not hard to figure out and if you played Metroid Prime Hunters you're pretty much already there. The World Ends With You was harder to control than this.

Kid Icarus is a fantastic game, with probably the most genuinely funny dialogue in a game this entire generation, tons to unlock and do, fun multiplayer, good music, great use of 3D and it's actually fairly lengthy on single player with technically 90 difficulty levels depending on how much you want to bet. You're only hurting yourself by not picking it up.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Seriously, this game is amazing, and a steal at $40. If you have the chance to pick it up for $30, do yourself a favor and don't pass it up. You'll be happy you didn't.

Picked up my copy yesterday and got a chance to crack it open in the evening. Loving it so far. I expected the game to have a more serious tone, but I'm enjoying the quirky sense of humor. The stand is great. I'm so glad they included it. Makes me wish they had one for the original DS when Metroid Prime: Hunters came out.

Damn, I ordered this from Amazon and it shows that the item was delivered, but I didn't receive it. I never had a package not be left for me when I got home from work. Hope someone didn't swipe it, as that'd make me start to be concerned about any package delivery going forward. I'll have to look for Kid Icarus locally when I leave on my trip tomorrow then.

bread's done
Back