Killing Floor - Steam Free Weekend (10/22-10/25)

Thanks, OP. I've been thinking about picking up Killing Floor for a while, but I wanted to try it out before taking the plunge.

[quote name='Jodou']Just waiting on that $5 weekend deal to pick it up. . .[/QUOTE]
Same here, patiently waiting for the deal to roll out during weekend, and I will jump on this.

[quote name='deangrazy']Same here, patiently waiting for the deal to roll out during weekend, and I will jump on this.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it'll be doing a 75% off sale anytime soon, but who knows, won't be surprised if we get 25% off or something similar during this free weekend.

Personally Im betting atleast 50% off. 10 dollars is a nice pricepoint for something like this. 25% off would be too little considering it's getting a free weekend and all.

I like these free stream weekends. I played through left 4 dead when it was free. Ill play through this one also. From the videos Ive seen, it looks pretty interesting.

If you're looking for a Left 4 Dead replacement, keep looking or wait for L4D2. It's less fun and more work than L4D. If you can get 4+ friends together, give it a shot, but agree with the previous comment.. it's "eh".

Don't let the name throw you, Jimmy. It's not really a floor, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported.

[quote name='pete5883']Don't let the name throw you, Jimmy. It's not really a floor, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported.[/QUOTE]

Simpson's reference! :applause:

It's definitely got "mod roots" - after all it is based on a mod - but that doesn't mean it isn't good fun. It's way bloodier than L4D, it has a "class" system with perks to keep you playing, and the weapons are spot-on spectacular (something Tripwire does very well). Most certainly it is a budget title, but it's a good one.

The game will be 25% off this weekend ($14.99).

Guys, it is not going to be $5. Ever. Spend the $15 and get it over with. This is easily in the top 5 best PC-exclusive games for 2009 (Zeno Clash and Gridrunner Revolution take up a couple of the other slots; not sure on the exact order though).

If you can't justify spending $15 on this game, you are seriously underestimating how much content and depth there is in it. It's is not a "cheap" game by any means, in terms of design, execution, quality, content, community, value, or any other qualifier. It's not like the throwaway bargain-bin FPSes that usually debut for $20. It's far better than the Call of Duty tripe that people happily shell out $50/$60 a year for, that's for goddamn sure. And the developer is one of the most badass in the business, to boot.

Buy it.

Pre-load complete, but still can't play. Is there a certain time when it starts?

Edit: Checked the official forums and looks like no one knows yet. At least it's free.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The game will be 25% off this weekend ($14.99).

Guys, it is not going to be $5. Ever.[/QUOTE]

In due time, in due time. Not this week, but hopefully in the near future.
I'm patient enough.

Meh, I just played some for the Free Weekend. First things first. The game is fun, but has the mod feel just like RO.

Anyway, I don't think I'll buy it for 15, for 10 I would've. But the lack of joinable non PWed servers, just doesn't seem worth it to me. I realize you most likely can find a server everytime you're on, but there really aren't too many favorable low ping ones.

But anyone looking for a good game for 15 should try it. 15 isn't much, and Im sure I could get that much playtime out of it. But I have plenty of games to play anyway.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']In due time, in due time. Not this week, but hopefully in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Not this year. I'd bet my farm.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The game will be 25% off this weekend ($14.99).

Guys, it is not going to be $5. Ever. Spend the $15 and get it over with. This is easily in the top 5 best PC-exclusive games for 2009 (Zeno Clash and Gridrunner Revolution take up a couple of the other slots; not sure on the exact order though).

If you can't justify spending $15 on this game, you are seriously underestimating how much content and depth there is in it. It's is not a "cheap" game by any means, in terms of design, execution, quality, content, community, value, or any other qualifier. It's not like the throwaway bargain-bin FPSes that usually debut for $20. It's far better than the Call of Duty tripe that people happily shell out $50/$60 a year for, that's for goddamn sure. And the developer is one of the most badass in the business, to boot.

Buy it.[/QUOTE]

Were we playing the same game? I found a moderately enjoyable but not particularly impressive reskin of UT2k4's Invasion gametype. I could not find a single earthly frame of reference that made the game worth $20.

And you're kinda hard to take seriously when you're so hilariously hyperbolic. Far better than Call of Duty "tripe"? You wrote that with a straight face? Amazing.

Eh, enjoy your opinion. :) I hate CoD, man. Please excuse me for being enthusiastic about a game I really enjoy.

By the way, threats of not taking me seriously don't really mean much to me. I thought anyone here would know that. I'm glad you found me "hilarious," though; I'm always glad to cause a laugh. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is a lot more fun than I anticipated, it really surprised me. I wish it had some big boss fights at the end of the waves, but it's still really fun. Is there a lot of people playing it usually. It's hard to guage because of the free weekend?

[quote name='morphineseason']My initial thought is that this game is trying way too hard to be a clone of Left 4 Dead. I think I'd rather just stick with the original.[/QUOTE]

I believe the mod has been around longer than Left 4 Dead, but L4D is more fun for me.

[quote name='morphineseason']My initial thought is that this game is trying way too hard to be a clone of Left 4 Dead. I think I'd rather just stick with the original.[/QUOTE]

It's really nothing like L4D. The gameplay goals, the shooting mechanics, the strategies are all completely different. Being an FPS with zombies doesn't make something a clone. COD4 isn't a clone of Battlefield 2, just because they're both shooting dudes in the desert.

And if you want to "stick with the original," I'd like to point out that the original mod version of Killing Floor was first released over a year before L4D was even publicly announced.

bread's done
Back