Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

I have Kinect Joy Ride (factory sealed) for $30 shipped. PM me if you are interested! I am throwing in an Adidas Superstar avatar outfit that I got at the NYC launch of Kinect!

Just got done playing Kinetc Sports. Holy crap do I need a shower. Not to mention I'm in lousy shape. That track and field wore me out like nobody's business.

Ping Pong - Dare I say I like it better than Sports Champion. It has a bit more lag, but it works and plays very well.

Soccer - My favorite possibly. My son is going to love this one I have a feeling. It's pretty relaxed but fun as well. Playing defense is even fun. I can see a full game of soccer on Kinect!

Bowling - Not as precise as Wii bowling, which is actually good in a way. It's much more challenging and less forgiving. Love how you can reach for a bowling ball and you're good to go! No pressing buttons or releasing a button to throw.

Track and Field - Can't play this one every night. It's tiring! The 100 meters is more enjoyable than I expected, as it the hurdles.

Boxing - I was looking forward to this one the most, and so far it's just alright. I can see the little ones getting discouraged as you really have to block and time your spots. It's pretty exhausting as well. My main concern is that it's not quick enough to recognize your combos.

I haven't even played the mini games yet......and they're supposed to be a blast. So far, this puts Wii Sports to shame. Still, it should have been included with the system. It's definitely better than Kinect Adventures.

Has anyone had issues with losing sound? Twice now I've lost sound after about 15 minutes of playing Kinect Sports. Any suggestions?

I got to play the adventures game for about 15 min when we realize we did not make enough room for it and started to move things around when some one picked up the xbox and the xbox scratched the game so bad it wont read it no more so that sucked causr i was rrally enjoying it

[quote name='lilredvampy']I got to play the adventures game for about 15 min when we realize we did not make enough room for it and started to move things around when some one picked up the xbox and the xbox scratched the game so bad it wont read it no more so that sucked causr i was rrally enjoying it[/QUOTE]

First of all, use capitalization and punctuation so that people can easily understand what you're saying.

Secondly, you should find the receipt and take it back to the store. Say that it came scratched and unplayable and they will likely allow you to exchange it for another one.

Well I got it at the Wal-Mart that I work at with a friends discount.
Because mine was left at home and I would have to take back the xbox as well.
So mainly out of worry of getting said friend into trouble and trust me my Wal-Mart
Will and has fired for less I am not going to take it back. But I will get the game again when it goes to the used rack at game stop

Alright, you people... I was really going to wait on Kinect for some sort of uber-deal. I had decided to go with Move for my HD motion needs ;). But after my 7 year-old son tried it out at Best Buy twice (Sports the first time, Adventures the second time) he really wants one so I decided to get it for his birthday (early Dec).

Of course, now that I am late to the party I missed out on the Amazon preorder deal and the Kmart coupon deal. But I've also wanted a Slim to replace my Elite for noise/power/heat reduction.

So what I did was buy the 4GB bundle on Amazon for the $40 promo credit and get the HD from Fred Meyer for $100 after coupon. So that, in effect, gets me the 250GB Kinect system but with the $40 Amazon promo credit they don't offer on that system.

The question is, should I take advantage of Amazon's B1G1 50% off? If so, what do you guys recommend? I assume Sports, and then maybe Kinectimals? I haven't read much of the thread - any favorable opinions of Kinectimals? I also have 3 and 10 year-old boys. Well, and a 13 year-old daughter but she doesn't really play any games.

The 3 year-old hasn't played much of anything but maybe he can get started on this. The 7 year-old loved Adventures (probably more than Sports which he seemed to have trouble controlling - looked kinda crappy to me, but I'd be getting it based on reviews). The 10 year-old is all into Halo now but he might like it a bit. We're definitely not into the Dance stuff so forget those. So, given that, should I got with Sports and Kinectimals? It still seems like too much to have to pay $36 per game. I much prefer the Move game pricing and am pretty disappointed with the $50 MSRP for Kinect stuff.

By the way, I just got Sports Champions from Amazon from the B2G1 and I really enjoy that. I'd find it hard to believe they could top the ping pong from that. Plus I really like the archery, volleyball (that having been my sport in high school), and Bocce. My 7 year-old doesn't even want to try it though. I'm not sure why. But he was hopping like mad playing Kinect Adventures at Best Buy :lol:. He really doesn't expect me to get it, so it will be quite the surprise. The only problem I'm going to have is putting it away until early December.

[quote name='io']Alright, you people... I was really going to wait on Kinect for some sort of uber-deal. I had decided to go with Move for my HD motion needs ;). But after my 7 year-old son tried it out at Best Buy twice (Sports the first time, Adventures the second time) he really wants one so I decided to get it for his birthday (early Dec).

Of course, now that I am late to the party I missed out on the Amazon preorder deal and the Kmart coupon deal. But I've also wanted a Slim to replace my Elite for noise/power/heat reduction.

So what I did was buy the 4GB bundle on Amazon for the $40 promo credit and get the HD from Fred Meyer for $100 after coupon. So that, in effect, gets me the 250GB Kinect system but with the $40 Amazon promo credit they don't offer on that system.

The question is, should I take advantage of Amazon's B1G1 50% off? If so, what do you guys recommend? I assume Sports, and then maybe Kinectimals? I haven't read much of the thread - any favorable opinions of Kinectimals? I also have 3 and 10 year-old boys. Well, and a 13 year-old daughter but she doesn't really play any games.

The 3 year-old hasn't played much of anything but maybe he can get started on this. The 7 year-old loved Adventures (probably more than Sports which he seemed to have trouble controlling - looked kinda crappy to me, but I'd be getting it based on reviews). The 10 year-old is all into Halo now but he might like it a bit. We're definitely not into the Dance stuff so forget those. So, given that, should I got with Sports and Kinectimals? It still seems like too much to have to pay $36 per game. I much prefer the Move game pricing and am pretty disappointed with the $50 MSRP for Kinect stuff.

By the way, I just got Sports Champions from Amazon from the B2G1 and I really enjoy that. I'd find it hard to believe they could top the ping pong from that. Plus I really like the archery, volleyball (that having been my sport in high school), and Bocce. My 7 year-old doesn't even want to try it though. I'm not sure why. But he was hopping like mad playing Kinect Adventures at Best Buy :lol:. He really doesn't expect me to get it, so it will be quite the surprise. The only problem I'm going to have is putting it away until early December.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend you get Kinect Sports and Kinectimals from what you've said. I also think you should still consider Dance Central as it will most likely bring your 13 year old girl in to the fold. I'm no dancer, but the game is insanely fun.

Just a heads-up that if you want to get back some $$ from your Kinect purchase, and have a Slim unit, I would recommend selling off the portion that hooks up to the old 360s (i.e. the power supply/extension cord unit) separately.

I put mine up on Ebay and got $55 the other day.

Someone just put up another one -- and also cut-and-pasted my description text (hey I'm flattered lol) -- and it's going for $30+ with a few hours left.

Definitely worth the trouble to get back some of your initial investment. I'm guessing that extension cord is nearly as valuable as the unit itself :)

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Just a heads-up that if you want to get back some $$ from your Kinect purchase, and have a Slim unit, I would recommend selling off the portion that hooks up to the old 360s (i.e. the power supply/extension cord unit) separately.

Someone just put up another one -- and also cut-and-pasted my description text (hey I'm flattered lol) -- and it's going for $30+ with a few hours left.

Definitely worth the trouble to get back some of your initial investment. I'm guessing that extension cord is nearly as valuable as the unit itself :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Phantom, I listed up my as well. Copied the other guy's auction which was pretty much a copy of yours. lol.

[quote name='io']You don't get those with the bundled Kinect systems, though, right?[/QUOTE]

Correct. I got a 4 GB console + Kinect bundle and it doesn't include the Kinect AC adaptor, since slim consoles don't need it.

BTW, if you're not interested in YourShape: Fitness Evolved (which is awesome and does have some multiplayer minigames as a secondary feature), maybe Kinectimals is a good choice. Depends on whether your kids like kitties, as mine certainly do. But you really shouldn't write off Dance Central. Learning to dance is something that will be useful in any boy's life eventually, but also think of how the ladies in your life will react to it.

Penny Arcade's experience with it:

Brenna is going to house-sit with a friend of hers this weekend, and she wants to know how hard it would be to bring the Kinect over there to play Dance Central. You and I know that decoupling an entertainment appliance from the mothership is annoying, occasionally dangerous, but not impossible. The point is that she has never asked, once, in the golden decade of our impervious union, if she could take anything of any kind any-fucking-where.

She takes an animist view of technology as a rule. She thinks that generally speaking we are bombarded by rays, that the modern world is the equivalent of an electromagnetic iron maiden and that our genetics are being perforated at all times by gnawing "serrator waves" from sources known and (even more troublingly) unknown.

I used to be more into Dance Dance Revolution than I was ever entirely comfortable telling you, I had a modded pad and my playlist was Nori Nori Nori, Butterfly, and Sandstorm. I tried for years to get Brenna to try it, and she would occasionally shuffle around on the pad in accordance with some imagined duty, but she never gave a shit and I couldn't fully blame her. They had merely taken a controller and made it flat; she was not fooled. It was, to her, profoundly unlike dancing, with its southern chaos and its immobile Irish torsos.

Now she's helping me move the couch so we can dance in the living room. She goes to bed at 9:30 on the dot, the dot, and we were up until almost eleven. She cranked the ever-loving shit out of that soldier. She's going to buy DLC for it one of these days, I swear it, just by moving her hand around in space, and I'm going to wonder what fucking planet I'm on.

Originally Posted by phantomfriar2002
Just a heads-up that if you want to get back some $$ from your Kinect purchase, and have a Slim unit, I would recommend selling off the portion that hooks up to the old 360s (i.e. the power supply/extension cord unit) separately.

Definitely worth the trouble to get back some of your initial investment. I'm guessing that extension cord is nearly as valuable as the unit itself

[quote name='Cephiros']Thanks for the info Phantom, I listed up my as well. Copied the other guy's auction which was pretty much a copy of yours. lol.[/QUOTE]

Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... I copied the description too if you don't mind. I usually copy the description for the person who brought in the highest price for whatever I am selling. Thanks for the ideas!

Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... I copied the description too if you don't mind. I usually copy the description for the person who brought in the highest price for whatever I am selling. Thanks for the ideas!

Haha, you guys are welcome. I should say the first time I had it up there, it went up to $71 with time left but I ended it early because I figured my description wasn't obvious enough and that people were bidding thinking it WAS the Kinect. Turns out I was right and the winning bidder thought he had won the Kinect itself (because he thought the "adapter" meant "sensor" basically), so he agreed to cancel the transaction.

I re-listed it and put it in huge red letters, twice, that it wasn't the Kinect, just the adapter, so if the buyer ends up saying I had it inaccurately listed, they'll have a tough time winning that argument. ;)

I also copied you, thanks! Also I am loving this thing and think there is a lot of potential. Does anyone think it can expand to include all voice commands for the dashboard or to fully control the dashboard? Also use it like the E3 demo as a full fledged rpg?

My YourShape: Fitness Evolved impressions:

It's surprisingly great. You setup a profile by telling the game your weight and age. It then scans your entire body, which appears on-screen as you play. You choose fitness goals, such as weight loss or increasing tone, and it selects appropriate workouts for you. It actually knows if you are matching the virtual instructor's pose and rhythm, so it's way better than something like Wii Sports. It also calculates how many calories you've burned over time and awards Achievements for milestones.

It's not all work, though. There are also four Gym Games, all of which support 4-player alternating multiplayer.
  • Virtual Smash has you punch targets; I've always loved punching so I enjoy it.
  • Loop-a-Hoop makes you swing your hips to spin a virtual hula hoop. It's the most strenuous minigame, guaranteed to tire you quickly. You'll also look especially silly while playing!
  • Light Race is like Simon but you step on the colors with your feet. You don't actually have to memorize the patterns, but it results in higher scores.
  • Stack-Em-Up is a clever falling block game in which you hold a virtual platform in your hands, catching falling blocks, trying to stack them high without dropping them, and then dump them into holes that open in the floor. It's not too tiring and quite fun.

In short, I would say anyone who buys a Kinect and has an interest in fitness should definitely give YourShape: Fitness Evolved a purchase. It's way cheaper than a gym and you can get a serious workout with constructive feedback in the comfort of your own home.

your-shape-fitness-evolved-20101108071213100_640w.jpg

Workouts look like this. You can choose to have your image appear in colored hues or actual colors.

1507-2.jpg

The Virtual Smash punching minigame

Last edited by a moderator:
So can anyone explain Kinect sign in to me?

If I'm signed into the dashboard, but not into the Kinect, will I still earn achievements? It seems different with each game.

Some just go by who's signed into the dashboard (Dance Central) some let you pick from the start (Kinect Sports) and some seem to use the Kinect ID to sign someone in (Adventures).

It's all really confusing.

For example, you can be signed into the dashboard with one name, but into the Kinect with another. Who earns the achievements in something like Adventures?

If the Kinect doesn't recognize me, after I step out, and step back in, will it still give me credit for what I've done? I wish they had some uniform system for this.

Correct. You could be signed into Live on the global dash, but let your kids sign into Kinect and all of you will get the achievements even if you don't play. Let the kiddos earn you free cheevos. lol

[quote name='Corvin']Correct. You could be signed into Live on the global dash, but let your kids sign into Kinect and all of you will get the achievements even if you don't play. Let the kiddos earn you free cheevos. lol[/QUOTE]

That's what I have been doing to get the Kinectimals achievements haha

I have discovered that Kinectimals is easily twice as good a game if you turn the fairy's voice down to 0 in the Options menus and turn on subtitles. He is even worse than Navi, which scientists previously thought was impossible!

Also, you can print the scannable kitten and toys codes or just hold your laptop up for the Kinect to scan. All known codes can be found here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=273482

Well, I bought into the hype... I put together my new Slim Kinect bundle with 2 extra games from various sources:

- 4GB Kinect 360 bundle from Amazon with $40 promo credit
- 250GB HD from Fred Meyer for $100 after using $30 off $150 coupon (I bought some iTunes gift cards to pad the purchase over $150), in effect giving me a 250GB bundle but with Amazon's $40 promo that they only had with the 4GB (and now appears to be gone)
- Sports and Kinectimals for just over $71 total from the Amazon B1G1 50% off

Interestingly enough, I'll have the HD (well, I already have that) and the games before I get the system (which Amazon won't have till the 17th). But that's cool since the whole thing is a surprise for my son who is turning 8 in early December. I wouldn't normally get one of my kids a $430 bundle (my total cost of the 250GB + Kinect + 2 extra games with the $40 Amazon credit deducted) for their birthday, but, well, it isn't really all for him, now is it? ;)

I didn't know all the Kinect sign-in issues you guys mentioned above. I had actually forgotten all about its recognition capabilites. To be honest, I never really paid much attention to it until I saw one at Best Buy about 4 days ago for the first time. And there you are just playing the games not doing any dashboard stuff.

Anyway, hopefully we have a blast with it. My only issue is going to be that I'll want the new Slim to be my main system and for most games that means having it in the "cozier" upstairs gaming room we have. The family room downstairs would be better for Kinect stuff, but is not really usable for other games (since my 3 year old interferes too much). So I'm not sure what I'll do there - I'd hate to have to move the system around all the time (and I will still have my old Elite too - but I'll have to do Kinect on the new one and will want to play everything else on it too for the power and noise reduction).

As for Dance Central, I think the final nail in my daughter's embarassment of my very existence would be hammered in if she ever saw me try to do something like that. So I better let it be unless she asks me about it ;). Yet she may very well enjoy it - she is a dancer after all.

got my kinect over the weekend, tried the demos that come on the adventures disk and got dance central and your shape, all 3 of those games are a very good time for the girlfriend and I

still kinda want sports and kinectamals to play around with too

[quote name='eastx']I have discovered that Kinectimals is easily twice as good a game if you turn the fairy's voice down to 0 in the Options menus and turn on subtitles. He is even worse than Navi, which scientists previously thought was impossible!

Also, you can print the scannable kitten and toys codes or just hold your laptop up for the Kinect to scan. All known codes can be found here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=273482[/QUOTE]

I just found out about that last week and got them all done. I was able to successfully scan the codes from my phone, but it was a harder than with the printout.

I played like a 3.5 hour Kinect marathon Saturday and am paying for it now. I'm so sore!!! Funny how a Call of Duty marathon could be 12 hours, but I'd be dead after playing 12 hours of Kinect. :)

I've got to say that I'm enjoying the Kinect motion controls way more than the Wii. I spent more time playing Kinect Sports in one day than I ever did with Wii Sports. I just never found Wii Sports any fun.

[quote name='ajh2298']Has anybody tried the Motion Sports or the Fighting game yet? And if you did are they anygood?[/QUOTE]

both are mediocre from what I've heard.

Just got Your Shape and my mom is loving it. Kinect Sports is also a blast!

Just so you guys know, the sign in info wasn't correct :( Well, at least not for all games.

I tried it with Your Shape. I was signed into the dash, and my gf on the Kinect Hub. Any achievement she got (that I didn't have) was NOT given to me.

So it must be selective by game. Really bothers me, usually MS lays out rules for this kind of stuff.

Yes I thought I said that. SOME kinect games, maybe most, do it. There are some non kinect games that do it too.

It's kind of funny that you would be so annoyed by not being able to cheese achievements.

Damn, My auction for the Kinect Power Cord USB Plug is going over $50 with 12 hours left. There is no way people can think I am selling a kinect since I have a picture of the item being sold and clearly stated what the auction is for.

I'm just amazed.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Hope more real games coming out next with Kinect support instead all sports & kid games.[/QUOTE]

You're in luck, this week we get Zumba Fitness, Game Party and Deca Sports, all of which are Kinect.

You're welcome.

[quote name='Cephiros']Damn, My auction for the Kinect Power Cord USB Plug is going over $50 with 12 hours left. There is no way people can think I am selling a kinect since I have a picture of the item being sold and clearly stated what the auction is for.

I'm just amazed.[/QUOTE]

I need to sell mine asap too

I keep checking amazon to see if they get the sensor in stock, but no luck. I really wish I'd taken advantage of the pre-order deals. Oh well. I'll keep hoping there's an in-stock deal on it before xmas.

[quote name='Cephiros']Damn, My auction for the Kinect Power Cord USB Plug is going over $50 with 12 hours left. There is no way people can think I am selling a kinect since I have a picture of the item being sold and clearly stated what the auction is for.

I'm just amazed.[/QUOTE]

Is that the AC Adapter for the non S X360?

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Kinect...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item230baecf6c

Yup...damn, gotta sell mine quick too.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Is there a certain reason why people are buying it besides not knowing that it comes with the Kinect?[/QUOTE]

I could see getting one if you bought a new Kinect bundle Slim but really wanted to use the Kinect on your old system or want to move it between them. But I'd think that situation would be fairly rare.

I'd be interested in doing that myself as I'd prefer to use the new Slim as our "main" gaming 360 and use the old Elite down in the family room for Kinect-only sessions. My problem is that I am getting a 4GB bundle so I won't have the power cord. So yeah, I could use one - but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it ;).

[quote name='io']I could see getting one if you bought a new Kinect bundle Slim but really wanted to use the Kinect on your old system or want to move it between them. But I'd think that situation would be fairly rare.

I'd be interested in doing that myself as I'd prefer to use the new Slim as our "main" gaming 360 and use the old Elite down in the family room for Kinect-only sessions. My problem is that I am getting a 4GB bundle so I won't have the power cord. So yeah, I could use one - but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it ;).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think Microsoft is selling it for $35. I didn't think mine would get up that high. I sent the invoice to the buyer and again reminded them what the auction was for and that was before they sent payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty wild about the power cords and I now even more wish I had a 360 S. Selling the power cord would help take the sting out of the kinect sensor price tag a bit.

[quote name='mcdaking84']My item sold but a guy with zero feedback won in Brazil. Why are people so stupid and don't read?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you got to be really careful with an auction like that that they are 100% sure they know what they are getting. The language issue just causes more problems on top of regular stupidity ;).

But selling to Brazil is not all that bad. They are pretty hungry down there for Wii, PS3, and even 360 stuff so it is not out of the realm of possibility that he knew what he was getting. Still, I'd wait for a response before shipping!

I've tested the load times of several Kinect launch games. Also posted in the Install Size & Loading Times thread, but I wanted to make sure people saw it. Kinect Sports and YourShape: Fitness Evolved see the most benefit form a hard drive installation. I would have tested Dance Central, but I'm not getting it till Black Friday.

Kinect Adventures - 4.5 GB - WHITE or BLUE

Time to 1st Calibration Screen
45 seconds - From Disc
40 seconds - From HDD

Free Play Load times - From selecting the level to Change Avatar/Skip screen

River Rush, Curvy Creek

10.5 seconds - From Disc
8 seconds - From HDD

20,000 Leaks, Leaks Ahoy

7 seconds - From Disc
5.3 seconds - From HDD

Kinectimals - 2.6 GB - BLUE

Time to 'Start' option
1:29 - From Disc
1:19 - From HDD

Time from loading save file to area appearing
15:90 - From Disc
12:25 - From HDD

Time to move from Fiddler's Beach to Woodland Glade
12:78 - From Disc
8:90 - From HDD

YourShape: Fitness Evolved - 2.8 GB - GREEN or BLUE?

Time to 'Wave your right hand' on title screen
59.5 seconds - from disc
56.3 seconds - from HDD

Fitness Classes - Cardio Boxing: Bronze Entire Class - Time to Trainer appearing
15 seconds - from disc
9.5 seconds - from HDD

Gym Games - Time to 'Replay tutorial/I'm ready to start screen'

Virtual Smash
17:15 seconds - from disc
12.5 seconds - from HDD

Stack 'Em Up
16:25 seconds - from disc
12 seconds - from HDD

Kinect Sports - 3.3 GB - GREEN

Time to title screen
56.6 seconds - from disc
47.7 seconds - from HDD

Time to Soccer staring
17.5 seconds - from disc
7.4 seconds - from HDD

Time to menu after soccer ends/quitting
7.4 seconds - from disc
4.2 seconds - from HDD

Time to Table Tennis starting
11.9 seconds - from disc
4.9 seconds - from HDD

Minigames - Time to Target Kick
11.9 seconds - from disc
6.4 seconds - from HDD

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Is there a certain reason why people are buying it besides not knowing that it comes with the Kinect?[/QUOTE]

Remember also that you can use it as an extension cord...if you've got your 360 a ways away from the Kinect it adds several feet onto the existing cable.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Remember also that you can use it as an extension cord...if you've got your 360 a ways away from the Kinect it adds several feet onto the existing cable.[/QUOTE]

I'm keeping the money in the paypal account until I know it has been delivered and I hear nothing from the buyer a fews days after receiving it. Just in case even though I was pretty clear on what they were getting.

bread's done
Back