Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

[quote name='metsfan1545d']does the kinetch have to be on top or directly below the tv

i wanna get it but i can only place to the far right of my tv[/QUOTE]

It has to be centered above or below your TV . Think Wii sensor bar .

[quote name='Cephiros']I'm keeping the money in the paypal account until I know it has been delivered and I hear nothing from the buyer a fews days after receiving it. Just in case even though I was pretty clear on what they were getting.[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. Though, my auction ended last week and the buyer got it 2 days ago, and I haven't heard anything, so it's looking good ;)

[quote name='mcdaking84']My item sold but a guy with zero feedback won in Brazil. Why are people so stupid and don't read?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you are talking about Ebay. Sorry I haven't read further back. You do know you can limit countries that can bid on your items right?

[quote name='Richlough']It has to be centered above or below your TV . Think Wii sensor bar .[/QUOTE]

Does it work if it is really high? Downstairs we have a TV up on the mantle so my 3 year-old doesn't mess with it. So the bottom of the TV is about 6 feet up. We can put the Kinect sensor right in front of it (I think - there isn't much room though). It will be looking down on us though. Is that going to be a problem?

I can also put it upstairs with the main gaming setup in a more traditional bottom of the TV setup (about 2 feet off the ground in that case). I'd prefer to have my new Slim (which will come with Kinect) up there anyway because I want to use it as my main machine (will transfer all the DLC licenses to it, etc). I figured I should make use of the lower power consumption and save some money. Not to mention my old Elite has RROD'd on me once and it is only a matter of time before it happens again.

I really should have thought about this more - it would be better to have the Kinect on the Elite downstairs. Presumably it would get used much less. But there's more room down there to jump around. And it would be a good use for the ol' Elite that won't stress it too much.

But I won't have a damn power cord for my Kinect and ain't buying one for $35 let alone $50 ;).

I should have bought the 250GB holiday bundle from Fred Meyer last week when they had $30 off plus a $50 gift card and then hunted down a standalone Kinect - though I have yet to see once since the first week and I wasn't considering it then.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It seems to me it works best being high and looking down, especially for small kids.

But it needs to be as close to the tv as possible.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but with my entertainment center the camera is below the TV but is about 3 1/2 feet high. My 5 and two year old tend to move up close to the TV playing Kinect titles, I know if it was mounted to the top of the TV (which would be around 5 1/2 feet it would have a harder time seeing them. I think it's current set up at least for me is working perfectly.

It really has to do with space. I have mine below my TV about 1.5 ft off the ground (i.e. below Kinect's "requirement") and it works just fine. Granted, I stand about 6 full feet away from it.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']anyone else kinda already bored of there kinect ?[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's all we have been playing for the most part (Other than me getting some Fable 3 time in finally)

[quote name='mike.m']I'm assuming you are talking about Ebay. Sorry I haven't read further back. You do know you can limit countries that can bid on your items right?[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, well that would have solved this problem. Thanks!

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']anyone else kinda already bored of there kinect ?[/QUOTE]

Definitely tired of Kinect Adventures. Sports is still fun, however we have our favorites. The thing I'm most concerned about is that my kids aren't asking to play it like they did when the Wii first debuted. So, I think the luster has worn off somewhat, but we've been busy around the house with activities and homework. I think once winter hits, and we're inside for hours on the weekend that's when Kinect will get the most play. The type of movement that is required to play these games is perfect for those 20 degree days when it's too cold to play outside.

So if you get a system bundle version, how long is the cord? I'm probably going to have to put it on the mantle above my TV, but that would put it some 5 feet from the 360. Is this going to work? If not, I guess I'll give up on the idea of a new 360, and just get a Kinect Sensor for my Jasper Elite.

[quote name='crunchewy']So if you get a system bundle version, how long is the cord? I'm probably going to have to put it on the mantle above my TV, but that would put it some 5 feet from the 360. Is this going to work? If not, I guess I'll give up on the idea of a new 360, and just get a Kinect Sensor for my Jasper Elite.[/QUOTE]

The cord without extension is like 6 feet, the extension adds quite a bit of slack.

Anyhow, i tried out a lot more kinect games. Joyride is not bad actually, but the detection for when my arms go back for boost is 50/50, pretty broken. Most of all, your arms just hurt after having them out like that for a full race or 2. If it was a XBLA game for 15 bucks, i'd say its well worth it for a race here and there, whats there now is not worth it. Using powerups usually has you crashing into walls as well since you move your arm to activate it. Pretty idiotic to say the least.

Sonic Free Riders... LOL. One of the worst things ive experienced, 100% broken and wow, its just BAD. Do not attempt unless you want to punch walls in frustration.

Last but certainly not least.. Tried out Motion Sports.. Thanks to the now infamous giant bomb quicklook of it, i only played 1 game, the horse riding. It honestly worked great for me and i had a blast with it. I dont think i'd have liked it if it wasnt for the quick look tho. Im going to try other events soon.

I have to say again, Kinect sports is so bad. If anyone can say this is a better game then Wii Sports or Sports Champions, they are literally a paid microsoft viral marketer. Its just awful.

[quote name='blitz6speed']
I have to say again, Kinect sports is so bad. If anyone can say this is a better game then Wii Sports or Sports Champions, they are literally a paid microsoft viral marketer. Its just awful.[/QUOTE]

I won't take the bait completely but...

Kinect Sports is really quite fun, but there are spots that are frustrating. I find Bowling to be a complete mess because my backswing to frontswing motion often changes position on the lane so my throws are inconsistent. I would have liked some kind of "lock on" feature so once I reached the part of the lane I wanted it stopped moving left and right.

Soccer/Football is a lot of fun and I hate soccer in real life. I also liked the track and field but I live upstairs in an apartment so I probably won't be able to play that often.

You really can't compare these games 1:1 vs a game with a controller since the controller will almost always win. It is the experience that is supposed to make this better. Clearly that didn't happen for you.

[quote name='matto1233']anyone get that game party game? is it any good?[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty obvious what you're getting there :lol:. Party game = mini games = eventual price drop.

Gee, I hope Kinect Sports isn't that bad, because I just shelled out $72 on Amazon to get that + Kinectimals. Those have actually gotten here already :)shock: at the purple cases!).

Meanwhile, the stupid 360 just shipped today via UPS Ground. WTF!? What happened to 2-day Prime shipping, Amazon??

I was hoping to have it for this weekend to give to my son at an early "family" birthday party (for 2 of my boys and 1 cousin). It was supposed to ship the 17th and with 2-day shipping that meant we'd get it tomorrow (Friday). It would work out better that way since they are off school all next week (thanks a lot, state budget defecit!). But since it looks like Amazon failed me there, I could give it to him on his real birthday on Dec. 3rd. He'll have less time for it then (till Christmas break, anyway, which is also extended nearly 2 weeks due to school cutbacks). Though I gather you don't spend hours upon hours playing Kinect games anyway, so maybe that's OK ;).

[quote name='io']Gee, I hope Kinect Sports isn't that bad, because I just shelled out $72 on Amazon to get that + Kinectimals. Those have actually gotten here already :)shock: at the purple cases!).

Meanwhile, the stupid 360 just shipped today via UPS Ground. WTF!? What happened to 2-day Prime shipping, Amazon??

I was hoping to have it for this weekend to give to my son at an early "family" birthday party (for 2 of my boys and 1 cousin). It was supposed to ship the 17th and with 2-day shipping that meant we'd get it tomorrow (Friday). It would work out better that way since they are off school all next week (thanks a lot, state budget defecit!). But since it looks like Amazon failed me there, I could give it to him on his real birthday on Dec. 3rd. He'll have less time for it then (till Christmas break, anyway, which is also extended nearly 2 weeks due to school cutbacks). Though I gather you don't spend hours upon hours playing Kinect games anyway, so maybe that's OK ;).[/QUOTE]

I always get stuff ups ground and it come in 2 days no problem. If it ships from a state close to you it is guaranteed within 2 days most of the time. Like for example, I live in NJ, and my prime stuff comes from PA and DE all the time. Those states have 1 day delivery guarantee from UPS to NJ. So they send it ground like they usually do, slap the words 2 day on it, and you still get it in 1 day regardless.

Just to follow up on my extension cord/adapter auction -- my buyer loves it and just left positive feedback :)

So my recommendation to anyone on the fence is: sell it!!

I have a question about Dance Central to anyone that's very familiar with it. I was under the impression that there was a way in Break It Down mode to practice an individual move. When I play break it down, it seems to lump moves into batches of 3 or 4, and sometimes I have 3 mastered and only need help with 1 move, but don't want to have to keep practicing through all of them. Is there a way to have it focus on ONE move until I've got it?

I'm going to stop into the local gamestop this weekend with the hope of finding a Kinect Sensor. I have some stuff to trade in. Online the bastards are selling game bundles, not just the sensor. Grrr. I hate that. But these seem to be available direct from Microsoft too, and only that way from them as well, so maybe it's Microsoft doing the bundling? Bastards.

[quote name='Bill Mcdougal']I have a question about Dance Central to anyone that's very familiar with it. I was under the impression that there was a way in Break It Down mode to practice an individual move. When I play break it down, it seems to lump moves into batches of 3 or 4, and sometimes I have 3 mastered and only need help with 1 move, but don't want to have to keep practicing through all of them. Is there a way to have it focus on ONE move until I've got it?[/QUOTE]

when the move you want to practice comes up in the cue when you mess up on it look in the top left corner for "slow it down" or "retry" and swipe that to work on the tougher steps

[quote name='theredworm']when the move you want to practice comes up in the cue when you mess up on it look in the top left corner for "slow it down" or "retry" and swipe that to work on the tougher steps[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

I was pretty upset when I couldn't find out how to do it and was starting to think that you couldn't. To be honest, I thought "slow it down" was an instruction...like feedback telling me that I did the move too fast :p

I was thinking about starting a thread in the deals thread about Kinect deals, but I am sure it will piss off some mod.

I need to get a Kinect for my mom to take to my sister for christmas in Texas by Monday. Where is the best current deal?

[quote name='ZForce915']I won't take the bait completely but...

Kinect Sports is really quite fun, but there are spots that are frustrating. I find Bowling to be a complete mess because my backswing to frontswing motion often changes position on the lane so my throws are inconsistent. I would have liked some kind of "lock on" feature so once I reached the part of the lane I wanted it stopped moving left and right.

Soccer/Football is a lot of fun and I hate soccer in real life. I also liked the track and field but I live upstairs in an apartment so I probably won't be able to play that often.

You really can't compare these games 1:1 vs a game with a controller since the controller will almost always win. It is the experience that is supposed to make this better. Clearly that didn't happen for you.[/QUOTE]

I've LOVED Kinect Sports at either of the 2 lower difficulty levels. My sone loves it even more. At the higher difficulties the lag and resolution start to become noticeable and you get frustrated by technical limitations rather than AI difficulty, but it's truly an exceptional game.

I get that the other guy doesn't like it, which is fine, but I don't think we're calling you a Sony troll. There's this bizarre thing called personal preference. I'll go out on a limb and say there are some things I despise that you like too. Go figure.

I also love Kinect Sports and completely disagree with Blitz, not that he actually listed any details to support his argument. It's a very slickly-produced game and both soccer and tables tennis are quite fun. Haven't tried bowling, but that one sport does sound like a dud.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I was thinking about starting a thread in the deals thread about Kinect deals, but I am sure it will piss off some mod.

I need to get a Kinect for my mom to take to my sister for christmas in Texas by Monday. Where is the best current deal?[/QUOTE]

There aren't any. It's hard enough to just find one in stock. Well, theoretically kmart will have a deal on thanksgiving getting a $15 gaming coupon, but that coupon is ONLY usable on Black Friday. Why they put that restriction on the coupons that day I have no idea. Definitely makes me not interested in them. Plus the fact that I have my doubts they'll have any Kinect sensors anyway. Other then that one, I know of no deals on it. On the contrary, even Microsoft is trying to force unwanted game bundles on us. You can buy it direct from them, but only bundled with 2 games, ones you might want or may not want both of. Sigh. EDIT: gamestop is offering a 25% bonus on games traded in toward Kinect, which depending on what you are trading in, might be considered a deal. Plus then you are getting money off the price of the sensor, and not a coupon you have to use later.

Oh yeah, I even read that back when you posted it. Well, I don't know why you're being so critical about the game. Yes, it's tough to control how hard you spike the volleyball, but it just doesn't bug me that much. Even in the bowling game, I don't care if the game decides when I release the ball. I can get strikes fairly easily, and got the Turkey Achievement during my first game. It seems to me that you just expect more accuracy than the Kinect is generally going to deliver.

With all that said, discus and javelin throwing are really lame! Going to have to practice to get those Achievements, and then I hope to avoid them forever more.

On a different note, they've released new Project Draco screens! I hope this game turns out as well as past Panzer Dragoon titles.

500x_draco2.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5693953/your-first-brief-look-at-kinects-panzer-dragoon

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps i am being too critical, but i read people recommending the game saying it blows away wii sports quite often, and really, this is not the case. Its the least played game we have on the kinect.

Project Draco does look great, stylized look. I am looking forward to seeing what we're going to get from the japanese announced titles, however im 100% sure they're going to be on rails experiences. Im going to borrow the new Harry Potter game today and try out the kinect functions.

hey guys, i've been playing kinect with a 120GB elite and all is good.

However, I was in best buy and the guy there said that if you get the 4GB kinect bundle, it's limited in the number of players it supports because it's lacking a hard drive. Is that true? I don't see how it can possibly be because 1) it makes no sense and 2) the guy worked at best buy.

Anyway, wanted to confirm on here.

thanks

[quote name='gbeenie']Has anyone here tried out Your Shape: Fitness Evolved yet? How about EA Sports Active 2?[/QUOTE]

I have Your Shape and it's damn good. Look, I'm your stereotypical "core" gamer and hated the wii for games like this. But, the fact is that it's one hell of a workout, it's *gasp* fun and it's getting my wife to play games with me and get a little exercise. Worth it on so many levels.

Between Your Shape, jumping around with Adventures and Sports....we just decided to sell our treadmill (he he he, more funds for games!).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I have Your Shape and it's damn good. Look, I'm your stereotypical "core" gamer and hated the wii for games like this. But, the fact is that it's one hell of a workout, it's *gasp* fun and it's getting my wife to play games with me and get a little exercise. Worth it on so many levels.

Between Your Shape, jumping around with Adventures and Sports....we just decided to sell our treadmill (he he he, more funds for games!).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I've just sampled YS and it seems like it could get me working pretty good. Can't wait til after my vacation to start up on it.

[quote name='gbeenie']Has anyone here tried out Your Shape: Fitness Evolved yet? How about EA Sports Active 2?[/QUOTE]

I spent about 1.5 hours with Your Shape. It appears to not have that much content. I'm not sure how much you can unlock, so maybe I am wrong. After playing dance central which has a ton of unique moves I expected your shape to have a lot more content.

I do think the core interface is very good.

My impressions: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7832154&postcount=357

As for EA Sports Active 2, according to Amazon reviews it's fairly buggy. It frequently loses track of you while playing and has to rescan you all over again. Floor activities just don't work right. On the plus side, it has a heart rate monitor and more activities than YourShape. But really, this year YourShape beats it out overall.

[quote name='confoosious']hey guys, i've been playing kinect with a 120GB elite and all is good.

However, I was in best buy and the guy there said that if you get the 4GB kinect bundle, it's limited in the number of players it supports because it's lacking a hard drive. Is that true? I don't see how it can possibly be because 1) it makes no sense and 2) the guy worked at best buy.

Anyway, wanted to confirm on here.

thanks[/QUOTE]

I think he means because of the Halo Reach issue. You cant do a lot of multiplayer stuff without a hard drive.

Anyhow, i moved the kinect to the projector room, and used the same 15 foot usb extension i use for the PS Eye camera for move gaming, and it worked flawlessly. I played Yourshape fitness and Dance Central. The main issue is, i got it at a really good spot using the kinect adjustment tool, then when yourshape fitness starts, the camera re-positions itself and loses that sweet spot it had. I wish i could force it to work properly in one spot and not move.

Didn't have this problem in the living room as there is tons of space there, projector room is tiny as heck (9.5x10 room). It DID work tho and i had a blast. I really, really like dance central. The more i play Yourshape Fitness, the more i find it to be a huge disappointment. The way you are portrayed on screen is awesome, but there isn't much to do in the game.

I might take a look at EA Sports Active 2. But i think with Dance Central alone, you really get yourself a workout. Need way more music tho, and i already got all the DLC for it. I have to say that, if it wasn't for Dance Central, i would be insanely disappointed with my purchase. Thankfully its there so its not a waste.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I work at Best Buy and I'm not an idiot.

:([/QUOTE]

Sorry to imply that.

But the guy who gave me the false info was undoubtedly an idiot.

I think the jury is still out on EA SPORTS ACTIVE 2 and it being clearly inferior to "YourShape."

I just bought the game and haven't checked it out yet, but I'm always leery of Amazon user reviews. One person just wrote, said they had no technical problems at all, thought the workouts were a lot more diverse than YourShape and gave it an excellent review. Joystiq thought the game was superb and gave it 4 stars last week, which is also higher than what they gave YourShape:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/ea-sports-active-2-review/

The OXM review basically gave it the same type of comment as YourShape but knocked it down a point because of its higher price...so these technical issues you keep reading from some buyers on Amazon don't seem to be in evidence with everyone who's played it.

It's almost like most of the comments on Kinect itself. Some people have problems because of the dynamics of their surroundings. I haven't had hardly any issues whatsoever playing in the room I have. So I'm not buying that EA Sports Active 2 is truly buggy -- unless I find it out for myself of course, lol. ;)

bread's done
Back