Kingdom Hearts HD Collection Announced

[quote name='Axersia']Ehhh... I kinda disagree. KH1 isn't very important anymore in the grand scheme of things, and it's also quite rough around the edges (literally and figuratively). It's the ugliest game in the series after the ones on DS, the platforming (which the first game had an abundance of) feels extremely stiff, you're required to use L2/R2 to control the camera which frequently gets caught behind geometry, etc.

If previous games are any indication and they have any intention of releasing this in English, it'll be out around the fall next year. If you've waited an entire decade, you can afford to wait an extra 9 months for the better experience.[/QUOTE]Not important in the scheme of things? Really? It's the most concise and least convoluted of the games when it comes to story and character development. Of course there's no arguing that a game that's more than 10 years old is going to be rough around the edges. But calling it the ugliest in the series besides the ones on the DS, means that only two games, KH2 and BBS, look better than it lol.

What previous games are you referring to? No other major KH game released in the US has gone this long without any info about a release outside of Japan. Using your logic, if you look at the Final Mix games as an indication, we may never see this come to the states.

[quote name='SaraAB']I can definitely afford to wait because I would prefer to play the games on my HDTV whereas I can't seem to find a good display option for the PS2, most games look too dark and washed out on my CRT TV so I can barely see what is going on in them at all. I really don't want to play KH this way. I would also prefer to get trophies for the game and have something to show for it. If it comes out in the fall too then there is a good chance of it going on sale around Xmas time.[/QUOTE]I see your point and it makes sense to wait then. Here's to hoping Square gets their stuff together and takes the money that we're all willing to throw at them.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Not important in the scheme of things? Really? It's the most concise and least convoluted of the games when it comes to story and character development. Of course there's no arguing that a game that's more than 10 years old is going to be rough around the edges. But calling it the ugliest in the series besides the ones on the DS, means that only two games, KH2 and BBS, look better than it lol.

What previous games are you referring to? No other major KH game released in the US has gone this long without any info about a release outside of Japan. Using your logic, if you look at the Final Mix games as an indication, we may never see this come to the states.

[/QUOTE]

I said DS and not 3DS. Honestly, Dream Drop Distance is probably the best-looking game in the series. Too bad it wasn't on Vita so it could've looked even better.

And yeah, KH1 isn't very important anymore in the KH continuum as a whole. You're right, it's the least-convoluted of the bunch because it's a standalone story that they've just been building upon for the past decade, but if you wanna get into the series and prepare yourself for KH3, I would put KH1 pretty low on the list in terms of importance. Of course, if you're willing to invest the time then by all means go for it, but if you had to choose between KH1 and KH2 it's pretty clear which you should be dropping.

Anyway, you're right, they haven't confirmed an English release for KH HD yet, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The whole reason they even ported Coded to the DS was for the West, and I think the same may be true for KH HD (and the inevitable KH2 HD). After all, it's not Japan that needs reminding the series still exists, whereas many Westerners consider it to be dead and write off the handheld installments as shitty spin-offs when Birth by Sleep is widely considered to be best entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PimpLimp']
I see your point and it makes sense to wait then. Here's to hoping Square gets their stuff together and takes the money that we're all willing to throw at them.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, didn't they not release Final Mixes to NA, or any other country for that matter as I know, because they thought the fan base wasn't as big/wouldn't sell as good as it does in Japan? Idk, I heard this awhile ago.

If my ps2 was compatable w/ imported game I would be all over them mixes. All over them. :whee:

[quote name='Axersia']I said DS and not 3DS. Honestly, Dream Drop Distance is probably the best-looking game in the series. Too bad it wasn't on Vita so it could've looked even better.[/QUOTE]When you said "ones on the DS" I assumed you meant DDD as well. I actually forgot they put coded on the DS too.

[quote name='Axersia']And yeah, KH1 isn't very important anymore in the KH continuum as a whole. You're right, it's the least-convoluted of the bunch because it's a standalone story that they've just been building upon for the past decade, but if you wanna get into the series and prepare yourself for KH3, I would put KH1 pretty low on the list in terms of importance. Of course, if you're willing to invest the time then by all means go for it, but if you had to choose between KH1 and KH2 it's pretty clear which you should be dropping.[/QUOTE]Oh I completely agree that KH2 is without a doubt the more important game. But I see it as KH2>KH>All the handhelds

[quote name='Axersia']Anyway, you're right, they haven't confirmed an English release for KH HD yet, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The whole reason they even ported Coded to the DS was for the West, and I think the same may be true for KH HD (and the inevitable KH2 HD). After all, it's not Japan that needs reminding the series still exists, whereas many Westerners consider it to be dead and write off the handheld installments as shitty spin-offs when Birth by Sleep is widely considered to be best entry.[/QUOTE]I can only hope that you're right and Square does bring it over. It's not like Disney characters are big in the West or anything.....

[quote name='KuHLiiDE']Speaking of which, didn't they not release Final Mixes to NA, or any other country for that matter as I know, because they thought the fan base wasn't as big/wouldn't sell as good as it does in Japan? Idk, I heard this awhile ago.

If my ps2 was compatable w/ imported game I would be all over them mixes. All over them. :whee:[/QUOTE]Yeah from what I can remember from back in the day, I think that was there reasoning. Now assuming we're getting this collection, then it wont really matter as the Final Mix version of KH is getting the HD upgrade.

[quote name='PimpLimp']When you said "ones on the DS" I assumed you meant DDD as well. I actually forgot they put coded on the DS too.

Oh I completely agree that KH2 is without a doubt the more important game. But I see it as KH2>KH>All the handhelds

I can only hope that you're right and Square does bring it over. It's not like Disney characters are big in the West or anything.....

Yeah from what I can remember from back in the day, I think that was there reasoning. Now assuming we're getting this collection, then it wont really matter as the Final Mix version of KH is getting the HD upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I see no reason for them to not bring this over here, it's an easy $40 each from all of the die-hard KH fans (and believe me, there's a ton of them).

I'll personally get this collection at $20, I'm honestly not sure if I need to replay these games or not though... hell, I never beat CoM on the GBA or PS2 (got stuck in the GBA, lost interest in the PS2).

I would pay $40 for this and I am really cheap (but keep in mind I have not played these games yet so it would be very worth it for me), heck you can't seem to find the PS2 Kingdom hearts anywhere for less than $20 each save you have a lucky find at a thrift or yard sale and I have never seen KH games at either of these. For my $40 I would be getting versions that I could play on my HDTV with trophy support and with the proper brightness levels of an HDTV. Why buy the older versions when the newer versions are right around the corner and have more features?

Of course there will be the obligatory price drop to $20-30 for this HD collection, heck it might even hit $10-15 at some point. I really love all the HD collections on the PS3, it definitely beats playing the original versions either on a dim and blurry CRT or playing them on a HDTV with terrible quality...

I have a real issue with games that are too dark and have too much glare on a CRT not to mention the washing out of colors on certain games, it gets a bit better when playing in the complete darkness at night with the lights off or on a cloudy day with all the curtains shut and the lights off. If anything is the crux of gaming it is this, games that are washed out, too dark or in general just look terrible, as it really does make certain games unplayable. If I can't see the game, then I obviously cannot play it. Unless you have all your gaming stuff in a basement with no windows, which does not apply to me. Go figure my CRT TV has no issues with displaying games like NES or SNES games on the original systems, but once again I can't seem to find a good display option for the PS2.

In case anyone was still worried, Jesse McCartney, voice actor of Roxas, posted a photo on his Instagram that pretty much confirms localization. It's a shot of one of the cutscenes from 358/2 Days:

instagram.jpg

[quote name='Axersia']In case anyone was still worried, Jesse McCartney, voice actor of Roxas, posted a photo on his Instagram that pretty much confirms localization. It's a shot of one of the cutscenes from 358/2 Days:

instagram.jpg
[/QUOTE]
nice thanks for posting this looks like am buying this day 1 :bouncy:

Nice. It's not a complete confirmation (I remember when the voice of Yuri said he recorded additional lines for the PS3 version of Vesperia, but we never saw tat), it's definitely a good sign.

Also, based off of the TV, it looks like SE did some major work on the graphics even though it's cutscenes only. It's in widescreen and looks pretty clean, even though it's a picture of a picture and has been Instagram'd.

this is pretty cool. i never completed KH1 back in the day and have never played chain of memories or 358. im very much looking forward to this and hopefully 2.0?

[quote name='Axersia']Hah, and in the fall too. Exactly as I predicted. Suck it, PimpLimp.[/QUOTE]Haha I don't remember saying you were wrong, but I'll suck anything I have to for more Kingdom Hearts lmao.

[quote name='Drclaw411']So us version doesn't get 3.5/2 days in the collection?

SquareEnix is weird.[/QUOTE]Only the cut scenes from 358/2 are going to be in the game. And there's nothing that's been released to say that it won't be included in the US version.

Not shabby, maybe I'll get around to beating Sephiroth this time around (never bothered to do it back in the day). Only played the original CoM for the GBA, so guess I'll give that a whirl. TBH I'm more interested in 2.5 since I never played BBS.

I am excited for this. We'll finally get Remix version of #1, happy to play through that. They are making the gameplay more like KH2? Awesome! KH2 battle system was much more refined and fun.

Trophy for watching 358/6 days videos, woo! (Sarcastic). CoM, I own it on the PS2 and I never really got far, didn't like it. It was updated from the portable version, but still made me lose faith in any/all portable KH games.

I hope the next HD Collection with KH2 gives 2 portable games like BBS or 3D DDD instead of "videos". Or a separate 3rd collection with all portables on console, in HD, like GoW:Origins.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I am excited for this. We'll finally get Remix version of #1, happy to play through that. They are making the gameplay more like KH2? Awesome! KH2 battle system was much more refined and fun.

Trophy for watching 358/6 days videos, woo! (Sarcastic). CoM, I own it on the PS2 and I never really got far, didn't like it. It was updated from the portable version, but still made me lose faith in any/all portable KH games.

I hope the next HD Collection with KH2 gives 2 portable games like BBS or 3D DDD instead of "videos". Or a separate 3rd collection with all portables on console, in HD, like GoW:Origins.[/QUOTE]

Other than BBS, I doubt they will make any of the portable games playable in the next installment. That probably takes more work than just re-rendering and replacing textures, but BBS would probably be the easiest.

I couldn't care less about playing through DDD or Re: Coded (or 358/2) though... those games sucked.

[quote name='Cromzz']Based on the timeline of the KH story, BBS should really be included in this collection, not cutscenes from 358/2[/QUOTE]

They have to keep milking this series somehow...:lol:

[quote name='PimpLimp']Gamers in Japan noticed that the games credits contained cutscenes from OTHER KH games.

These previously mentioned games are KH2, BBS, and Coded. This all but confirms that they're working on a 2.5 IMO.

After this can we fucking finally have KH3? The original Kingdom Hearts is why I bought a PS2, why not make Kingdom Hearts 3 the reason I buy a PS4?[/QUOTE]

So, they can make KH 1.75 and 2.75? (ps4 is to not be backwards compatible)

So I just beat KH1HD and I've got some good news and some bad news for all you trophy hunters out there. The bad news is that difficulty trophies don't stack, meaning you'll have to beat the game three times for a Platinum (same with Re:CoM). The good news is that you can now skip cutscenes, and that the speedrun, initial equipment, and no continues trophies should be total cakewalk on Beginner. In fact, someone already did a proper speedrun and the record is currently at 3:15.

Anyway, the port was flawless from a technical perspective (no framerate drops or weird glitches like in so many other HD ports out there), but I do have some complaints about the seemingly arbitrary decisions they made on what to preserve from the original game and what not to. Obviously they've made some pretty significant changes like lifting character models from later games, completely redoing the soundtrack with an actual orchestra, and mapping combat abilities to the Triangle button. So it's all the more annoying when something got preserved that really didn't need to be.

Case in point, you still use only three face buttons for magic, and you can't map items to them. KH2 changed that, and it seems a bit silly to go back to KH1's limitations when other changes already affect game balance (having combat abilities mapped to Triangle does technically make the game easier, if only slightly).

Another thing that'll effect Proud Mode and challenge run players in particular is that you can't restart bosses like in Birth by Sleep and KH3D, which just adds unnecesary downtime as you walk back to the boss and skip the cutscenes. Sure, it may only take like 20 secs, but it gets to be a real pain in the neck if you're stuck on one particular boss.

But anyway, the fact that I'm complaining about this extremely nitpicky stuff is just a testament to how well this HD port was done. This is easily the best one I've played, and other publishers should be ashamed of themselves for how little effort they put into them.

That reminds me I never got around to buying the KH3D Mark of Mastery Edition. I wouldn't have been able to play it since I don't own a US 3DS, but I just wanted to have it for my collection. Of course, now it's too late as prices have completely blown out of proportion, and it wasn't particularly special anyway so nevermind I guess.

They're far more reasonable about Collector's Edition prices in Japan. You can get a mint condition Final Mix Platinum Edition (the original from 2002) for a mere 5000 yen. Not on eBay, of course. Nah, the people on eBay are total dickholes and it's impossible to get Japanese games there for a reasonable price. I've seen people mark up games up to 6 times the Japanese asking price. In order to get a decent deal, you'd have to book a flight to Japan (actually worth it if you plan on buying lots of games).

Anyway, I bet that art book is pretty flimsy just like the one that came with the European version of Birth by Sleep, but hey, at least it's free.

I would get this right away but I know it's going to drop to $20 like every other hits collection and pokemon is coming out in October and believe me I am not touching any other games once that comes out. Plus I have way too many games in my backlog.

So GameTrailers finally released their 1-hour Kingdom Hearts timeline video that they teased back in Febuary:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/g84vkz/timeline-kingdom-hearts

As someone who lives and breathes KH, this really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but if you've ever been confused about any aspect of the story, this'll probably clear things up as it goes into pretty fine detail. I think they did a good job on it, and it lists like a dozen "lore consultants" in the credits as GT called upon outside help to make sure they didn't mess anything up.

Obviously don't watch this if you're a newcomer to the series as it spoils basically everything there is to spoil. If you haven't played Birth by Sleep, I wouldn't watch it either as that game is just too damn awesome to spoil.

[quote name='Axersia']So GameTrailers finally released their 1-hour Kingdom Hearts timeline video that they teased back in Febuary:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/g84vkz/timeline-kingdom-hearts

As someone who lives and breathes KH, this really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but if you've ever been confused about any aspect of the story, this'll probably clear things up as it goes into pretty fine detail. I think they did a good job on it, and it lists like a dozen "lore consultants" in the credits as GT called upon outside help to make sure they didn't mess anything up.

Obviously don't watch this if you're a newcomer to the series as it spoils basically everything there is to spoil. If you haven't played Birth by Sleep, I wouldn't watch it either as that game is just too damn awesome to spoil.[/QUOTE]

Oh good, I'll probably have to watch this. The series' story is a clusterfuck of clusterfucks.

[quote name='Vinny']Oh good, I'll probably have to watch this. The series' story is a clusterfuck of clusterfucks.[/QUOTE]

Lmao. That pretty much how I feel

If anyone lives in the Anaheim, CA area Square Enix and Disney are having a launch event on 9/8/13 from 12 noon-6 pm. You can buy the game 2 days early and they are giving out a lot of swag.

https://www.facebook.com/events/155547254650238/

"We’d like to officially invite all KINGDOM HEARTS fans to come celebrate the launch of KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX at the Downtown Disney District in Anaheim, CA!

We will have lots of activities for the KINGDOM HEARTS community as well as for the entire family, and best of all….there’s no admission fee!

Below are just some of the amazing things to look forward to at the launch event:

• Buy the game two days before anyone else! Not only that, but you’ll be getting the exclusive artbook AND the PS3 dynamic theme! Quantities are limited, so make sure to show up early.
• Win apparel, pins, action figures, official merchandise and other goodies signed by KINGDOM HEARTS game director Tetsuya Nomura! Winning is contingent on purchase of the game.
• Participate with fellow KINGDOM HEARTS fans in an evolving interactive KINGDOM HEARTS game mural!
• Immortalize yourself, your family, or your friends in a photobooth that transports you to different Disney worlds along with the one and only Kingdom Keyblade!
• Get FREE an exclusive KINGDOM HEARTS poster to early attendees, not obtainable anywhere else! Posters are available in limited quantities.
• Play the game before it comes out!
• Party with the Radio Disney team!
• Plus much, MUCH more!

We look forward to seeing you on September 8th at Downtown Disney! We'll be right next to ESPN Zone."

Got my pre-order in and paid off. Can't wait, I guess Diablo and Madden will tie me over. But then GTA is the week after OMG so many games to play coming out.

Got my pre-order in and paid off. Can't wait, I guess Diablo and Madden will tie me over. But then GTA is the week after OMG so many games to play coming out.
Your telling me... Disgaea D2 is also right around the corner. And some other game I preordered from NIS, but forgot the name of, lol. (That's bad, right?)

kingdom hearts 1.5 hd remix limited edition with the artbook unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-Y-bAz0sI

kingdom hearts 1.5 hd remix limited edition with the artbook unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-Y-bAz0sI
Snap... I thought this was just gonna be a regular edition PS3 game with a separate artbook. Pretty cool to see it's one of those book/case combo packs.

Snap... I thought this was just gonna be a regular edition PS3 game with a separate artbook. Pretty cool to see it's one of those book/case combo packs.
just a heads up, i am not sure if that is the japanese limited edition. or the US edition. because i saw japanese words in artbook. lol

That unboxing looks like a PAL copy.  Checked the guys other videos, and all the unboxings appear to be PAL.

Here's the only North American unboxing I could find (I created a new thread as I didn't find any while search... damn new CAG).

This guy get's review copies a week or more before release.  Doesn't look like Sony/SquareEnix/Disney sent him an artbook or LE (confirmed to be like Hitman Trilogy LE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_CgadDp90

That unboxing looks like a PAL copy. Checked the guys other videos, and all the unboxings appear to be PAL.

Here's the only North American unboxing I could find (I created a new thread as I didn't find any while search... damn new CAG).

This guy get's review copies a week or more before release. Doesn't look like Sony/SquareEnix/Disney sent him an artbook or LE (confirmed to be like Hitman Trilogy LE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_CgadDp90
Given that Amazon has a listing for the regular edition, I hope that's what was sent out to all the reviewers. I really hope the LE isn't just some standard edition game shrinkwrapped with an artbook.

Given that Amazon has a listing for the regular edition, I hope that's what was sent out to all the reviewers. I really hope the LE isn't just some standard edition game shrinkwrapped with an artbook. 
someone posted a picture of the limited here, from the pic, it looks almost identical to the limited edition shown in the unboxing video.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/254428-official-collectors-edition-compilation-thread-latest-grand-theft-auto-v-cese/page-165

Amazon UK used the picture where it shows the game and artbook as seperate (same as all the US retailers) but their LE was different than the picture. It could go either way still... 

yeah I saw that post after I posted. I hope that means Targets/Walmarts and the occasional Best Buy will have copies on their shelves for a while -maybe TRU as well. This should be more common than ToX LE. I'm just wondering how it compares to Hitman Trilogy as both are done by SquareEnix.

bread's done
Back