Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Newegg (TRU match)

[quote name='krashhole']This is what I am concerned about. I don't want to make the wrong decision. However, I played the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and it's not bad. Sadly though, I don't think it's for me. I enjoy games like Castlevania LOS, and Dantes inferno, but I had a very hard time getting into games like the elder scrolls series. Why couldn't there have been a demo for Dark Souls![/QUOTE]

Check twitch.tv I know there are quite a few people who stream the game. You could watch and see if it is to your liking. Heck I still even think red box has copies of dark souls in them. I rented it from red box for a night enjoyed it and purchased it. I am still on the fence about KOA its either this or twisted metal for me, but with the recent shit storm with eat.sleep.play and jaffe leaving the company and a bunch of lay offs makes me think that TM won't have the support it needs for multiplayer anymore.

[quote name='krashhole']This is what I am concerned about. I don't want to make the wrong decision. However, I played the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and it's not bad. Sadly though, I don't think it's for me. I enjoy games like Castlevania LOS, and Dantes inferno, but I had a very hard time getting into games like the elder scrolls series. Why couldn't there have been a demo for Dark Souls![/QUOTE]

Give it a try. I could play Elder Scrolls for about 4-5 hours. I absolutely love Amalur. Easy to get into and reminds me a ton more of Fable than Elder Scrolls. Combat is great.

Hrrrmmm, I placed my order a couple of days ago and it indicates "charged", but nothing has happened yet. Feel like it should have shipped by now, especially if people are receiving their copies already.

[quote name='mswierzb']Hrrrmmm, I placed my order a couple of days ago and it indicates "charged", but nothing has happened yet. Feel like it should have shipped by now, especially if people are receiving their copies already.[/QUOTE]
It might have. My order states that it's been charged, and customer service verifies that it hasn't shipped, even though I've informed them that I have it in my hand for the past 6 hours.

Newegg's game department just has no idea what its doing, or what's going on, I think.

I'm willing to trade 7 games from my list for a copy of Kingdoms of Amalur (360 preferred) if someone is willing to help me out. I just don't have the cash to buy a copy right now. PM me if interested

[quote name='Maskim']It might have. My order states that it's been charged, and customer service verifies that it hasn't shipped, even though I've informed them that I have it in my hand for the past 6 hours.

Newegg's game department just has no idea what its doing, or what's going on, I think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up about that. Hopefully the issue is something similar. I really wasn't expecting it till later this week and honestly won't have time to thoroughly enjoy it until then, but I was trying my best to avoid something going wrong with the order.

[quote name='jr233270']I'm willing to trade 7 games from my list for a copy of Kingdoms of Amalur (360 preferred) if someone is willing to help me out. I just don't have the cash to buy a copy right now. PM me if interested[/QUOTE]
You could get away with trading in 7 to a store and I assume the ones with the symbol next to them are just taking up space anyway, and wind up fairly close to the 60 dollars. Then just trade in 1 good game and you will hit that point. I guess it just depends on how badly you want kingdoms right now.

[quote name='schuerm26']Give it a try. I could play Elder Scrolls for about 4-5 hours. I absolutely love Amalur. Easy to get into and reminds me a ton more of Fable than Elder Scrolls. Combat is great.[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to buy a used copy of Demon Souls from GS tomorrow and try that. From what I have been told, that would give me a pretty good idea of how the game play is.

[quote name='krashhole']I think I am going to buy a used copy of Demon Souls from GS tomorrow and try that. From what I have been told, that would give me a pretty good idea of how the game play is.[/QUOTE]

demons souls is amazing but not recommended if you have a short temper or need save/checkpoints throughout your games.

[quote name='technicalstylez']demons souls is amazing but not recommended if you have a short temper or need save/checkpoints throughout your games.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that. I almost quite the series all together my first time around when I lost 7k souls at the start (I thought that was a lot back then). Only got into it again when I bought the CE for Dark Souls at Amazon for $37. Decided to play through the whole series again in order, and fell in love with it. Been spending the last two weeks pvping in Dark Souls.

I wish games like this would make it so that if you played the demo, you could just start wherever you left off when you buy the retail game.

It was bummer having to play the same hour of intro gameplay that I already did in the demo. Oh well, got through that and now it's starting to pick up a bit.

[quote name='Chinese_cuisine']Just out of curiosity is the TRU good for in store purchase or online because last time I ordered epic Mickey from TRU it took 3 weeks[/QUOTE]

If you look back through this thread, you will find that your milage will vary on this. Some people are saying TRU is price matching, in my case they would not price match saying the online is completely different with respect to sale items.

I showed the website sale price on my iPhone to a Best Buy location and THEY price matched. Your best bet is to go to a TRU and try. If that fails, go to BB and try there. If those fail you can try different TRU and BB locations.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I wish games like this would make it so that if you played the demo, you could just start wherever you left off when you buy the retail game.

It was bummer having to play the same hour of intro gameplay that I already did in the demo. Oh well, got through that and now it's starting to pick up a bit.[/QUOTE]

This would be nice in this specific instance, where the demo starts at the beginning of the game and it is essentially the same game, BUT...

Most demos don't start at the beginning, they are often a random level / area or set of levels / areas in the game. Often demos have accelerated progression so you can a feel of what is to come, etc.

ALSO, and more importantly, demos are generally not made from production code and resources but are a snapshot of a game that is sometimes months before the game is "finished" so quests may be different, save systems could have changed over that time, etc. so it would be difficult to do from the developers perspective.

[quote name='kiwimonster']Hmm still on the fence this game or Twisted metal... argh!![/QUOTE]

If you can only get one now, I'd opt for Twisted Metal.

TM is going to have a pretty big online component. Like most games that feature a big online component, it's only really fun online when there's a good number of people playing. There will never be more playing it than in the few weeks after launch. After that, interest will die off, and the longer you wait, the less likely you'll be to find good matches.

Single-player games like Amalur, on the other hand, can be enjoyed any time. Get TM, enjoy it for a few months, then pick up Amalur when it drops to $29.99 in June or July.

[quote name='ScubaKev']This would be nice in this specific instance, where the demo starts at the beginning of the game and it is essentially the same game, BUT...

Most demos don't start at the beginning, they are often a random level / area or set of levels / areas in the game. Often demos have accelerated progression so you can a feel of what is to come, etc.

ALSO, and more importantly, demos are generally not made from production code and resources but are a snapshot of a game that is sometimes months before the game is "finished" so quests may be different, save systems could have changed over that time, etc. so it would be difficult to do from the developers perspective.[/QUOTE]

All good points

[quote name='krashhole']I think I am going to buy a used copy of Demon Souls from GS tomorrow and try that. From what I have been told, that would give me a pretty good idea of how the game play is.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it will.

Not at all. Refined Fable combat with Skyrims questing system. Closest game to this is Fable 2, then Fable 3, then Dragon Age 2.

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']You could get away with trading in 7 to a store and I assume the ones with the symbol next to them are just taking up space anyway, and wind up fairly close to the 60 dollars. Then just trade in 1 good game and you will hit that point. I guess it just depends on how badly you want kingdoms right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm really opposed to trading in at Gamestop. I know I could get pretty close to the $60 price point if I did this but I'd rather trade here on CAG then give any more of my business to Gamestop. Don't know if that makes much sense but it's what I want to do.

[quote name='abhinav']Not at all. Refined Fable combat with Skyrims questing system. Closest game to this is Fable 2, then Fable 3, then Dragon Age 2.[/QUOTE]

It bothers me that people keep comparing this game to God of War. You're right, the closest game to this is something along the lines of Fable, with a complex skill system which is overkill given the simplicity of the combat. While it is a combo based combat system, the depth and challenge isn't there. People are making such a big deal out of the customization trees and, while they actually are pretty balanced and well thought out, this game requires zero strategy to get through. Most of the time and energy they put into the battle system is for not, because it boils down to a button masher with a ton of unneeded options. The worst part of the game is the way the game integrates the story and plot into the game. In the end, it's a gigantic map full of interconnected hubs with scattered groups of enemies and with the burden of telling a story squarely placed on the lore stones randomly scattered about.

Granted, if you're into mindless combat and don't want to be burdened by challenge and plot, this might be a great game for you. I just can't imagine plunking down 50+ hours on such a half baked game. If they went back to the drawing board with enemy ai and implemented a better way of immersing yourself in the lore of the world, they might be onto something. As it stands, I would rather play a more immersive game (Skyrim) or something more decidedly combat focused (any of the games Reckoning pulls combat system inspiration from) or something faster paced and more strategy oriented (Diablo and clones). This game doesn't seem to know what it wants to be or who it wants to appeal to.

I have a ton of hope for the franchise, though. There's a ton of potential there and hopefully they'll fix all the criticisms and knock our socks off with a follow up.

[quote name='uglyorgan']It seems like mine could ship today. I haven't been charged yet, but my status is "items located".[/QUOTE]

Same here. I've had my copy preordered for a few weeks. They located the game early yesterday and it still hasn't shipped. I really would like to have it before this weekend, but I guess I can live since I am saving 15 bucks.

I think I'm just going to take Dark Souls back. I have read so many different opinions on this game, that it's made my head spin. I know the game is only $40, but thats $40 I can put towards something I know I will like. Thanks for all the advice!

[quote name='jr233270']I'm really opposed to trading in at Gamestop. I know I could get pretty close to the $60 price point if I did this but I'd rather trade here on CAG then give any more of my business to Gamestop. Don't know if that makes much sense but it's what I want to do.[/QUOTE]
Actually Best Buy does game trades now as well. Just going by the list in your TL of ones you'd trade for Kingdoms Of Amalur, you could get the following for them:

:ps3:Battlefield Bad Company-$4($6 w/ 50% bonus w/ $5 pre-order deposit for Diablo III or UFC Undisputed 3)
:ps3:Bioshock-$4($6 w/ 50% bonus w/ $5 pre-order deposit for Diablo III or UFC Undisputed 3)

So right there alone you're $12 towards Kingdoms Of Amalur. Of course, as I said above, you have to put $5 down towards a pre-order of either Diablo 3 or UFC Undisputed 3 in order to get the 50% bonus. But either way, you'll eliminate some older games from your collection and get a game you really want.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually Best Buy does game trades now as well. Just going by the list in your TL of ones you'd trade for Kingdoms Of Amalur, you could get the following for them:

:ps3:Battlefield Bad Company-$4($6 w/ 50% bonus w/ $5 pre-order deposit for Diablo III or UFC Undisputed 3)
:ps3:Bioshock-$4($6 w/ 50% bonus w/ $5 pre-order deposit for Diablo III or UFC Undisputed 3)

So right there alone you're $12 towards Kingdoms Of Amalur. Of course, as I said above, you have to put $5 down towards a pre-order of either Diablo 3 or UFC Undisputed 3 in order to get the 50% bonus. But either way, you'll eliminate some older games from your collection and get a game you really want.[/QUOTE]

All the Best Buys near me are not doing trade ins. Believe me, I thought of that.

[quote name='jr233270']All the Best Buys near me are not doing trade ins. Believe me, I thought of that.[/QUOTE]
You could always try Gamestop by cross referencing the games on your :cold: list of games with the trade in value wiki posts in the thread maintained by JP to see which ones get the best value towards Kingdoms Of Amalur and just trade them in there.

If I had some BB credit, I actually might consider a 7:1 trade like the one you're offering or a 3-4 for 1 if you were to include some of the :hot: titles as the available ones.;)

Not too thrilled about this response from Newegg re: where my games are at

Hi Jonathan. I preordered a game on 02/06 that released on 02/07. MY payment has been charged but the game has not shipped and it released over two days ago.
chat_enduser_message.png
ME: Do you know what is going on with my order? Order #xxxxxxx
chat_agent.png
Jonathan: I would be glad to help you with that…Can you please give me a moment while I look into this for you?
chat_enduser_message.png
ME: Not a problem. Go ahead
chat_agent.png
Jonathan: Thank you for holding. I am showing that your order is going to be shipped from our vendor's warehouse directly. It may have already been shipped, but the tracking information has not been updated to the system yet. I am going to send a request to the warehouse, asking for shipping information. Once there is a reply, I will keep you updated via email.

So they are having the vendor drop ship for them and don't have any idea what the tracking numbers are on these orders?

Yeah, I've called them twice today and they had the same response. The person this afternoon was at least helpful and tried to track down the warehouse supervisor. No luck, but I'm supposed to get the tracking number emailed to me as soon as the supervisor responds to Newegg's email. Fingers crossed it's already waiting at home for me.

[quote name='GBAstar']Not too thrilled about this response from Newegg re: where my games are at

Hi Jonathan. I preordered a game on 02/06 that released on 02/07. MY payment has been charged but the game has not shipped and it released over two days ago.
chat_enduser_message.png
ME: Do you know what is going on with my order? Order #xxxxxxx
chat_agent.png
Jonathan: I would be glad to help you with that…Can you please give me a moment while I look into this for you?
chat_enduser_message.png
ME: Not a problem. Go ahead
chat_agent.png
Jonathan: Thank you for holding. I am showing that your order is going to be shipped from our vendor's warehouse directly. It may have already been shipped, but the tracking information has not been updated to the system yet. I am going to send a request to the warehouse, asking for shipping information. Once there is a reply, I will keep you updated via email.

So they are having the vendor drop ship for them and don't have any idea what the tracking numbers are on these orders?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rsrlawman']Yeah, I've called them twice today and they had the same response. The person this afternoon was at least helpful and tried to track down the warehouse supervisor. No luck, but I'm supposed to get the tracking number emailed to me as soon as the supervisor responds to Newegg's email. Fingers crossed it's already waiting at home for me.[/QUOTE]

Samething happened to me, I chatted and called them. On Tuesday they were going to look into getting tracking information, and as of 625PM Thrusday 2/9/12 no tracking information yet. When I spoke to Newegg today, the customer service rep stated he was going to try to expedite it. The rep also mentioned there was a possibility that the game was out of stock or on hold. Either way I was very disappointed, I just want an answer.

Shit, my order got voided/canceled because they "miscalculated available stock". Very disappointed, debating on whether to cancel my $44.99 pre-orders of SSX and SF X Tekken.

[quote name='LSandok']Samething happened to me, I chatted and called them. On Tuesday they were going to look into getting tracking information, and as of 625PM Thrusday 2/9/12 no tracking information yet. When I spoke to Newegg today, the customer service rep stated he was going to try to expedite it. The rep also mentioned there was a possibility that the game was out of stock or on hold. Either way I was very disappointed, I just want an answer. [/QUOTE]

I finally got an email last night that the item had been backordered. Apparently they had run out of stock at the third party warehouse that pre-orders ship from. I called customer service and the rep cancelled my pre-order, had me make a new order, and then refunded me the $15 difference between the pre-order price and the current price. Very annoyed to jump through these hoops and that I won't be able to play the game this weekend, but Newegg customer service has at least been very eager to help every time I called.

[quote name='CAG 79']Shit, my order got voided/canceled because they "miscalculated available stock". Very disappointed, debating on whether to cancel my $44.99 pre-orders of SSX and SF X Tekken.[/QUOTE]

How did newegg notify you about the game being voided, I am still waiting for a response from them?

Sucks that people's orders are out of stock/voided/canceled. Sorry to hear that, hoping that I was many of the others first up on line for SFXTekken preorder so I can def. grab it for 45. Whoever was late on preordering on KOA, don't be hesitate on canceling your other preorders from Newegg. Just keep it just in case, disappointed or not, just keep those preorders because if you went ahead in the last min to reserve KOA, of course it's Newegg's fault but it's also yours. Should of preordered once it went to 45 to at least be ahead of everyone else.

Plus, the game isn't all that. Reminds me a Fable a lot in which I wasn't a fan of at all. I get sleepy most of the time running around to here and there. I usually play an hour, stop, play another hour of it later, and repeat to not fall asleep. It's a decent game, def. worth 30 or less. Unless you need a RPG Action/Adventure fix RIGHT NOW.

Got my backorder cancellation email from Newegg. Came here and saw the Amazon price. Bought. Glad Amazon finally matched!

[quote name='LSandok']How did newegg notify you about the game being voided, I am still waiting for a response from them?[/QUOTE]

I just got the notification too... That's really shitty. The guy told me yesterday that they were shipping directly from the warehouse and that was on its way and I should expect it soon.

Why is it so hard for companies to keep track of their preorder allotments?

[quote name='nathan88']Wtf the PS3 version is still 59.99... :([/QUOTE]

its because the ps3 version is oos on toysrus.com while 360 version is still instock. they don't match oos items. b&m stores are typically the same way.

Really worried about my Mass Effect 3 preorder now. I mean I don't care if I don't get it launch day, but if I have to wait more than a day after launch to play this (or even face it being canceled), oh I will be pissed off to no extent.

[quote name='technicalstylez']its because the ps3 version is oos on toysrus.com while 360 version is still instock. they don't match oos items. b&m stores are typically the same way.[/QUOTE]
This is retarded.

bread's done
Back