Not open for further replies.

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

March 20th through March 26th:

• :ps3: 3-22 Playstation Heroes (Reg. $39.99) offer 10,000 SYWR + Save $25 instantly with purchase of Move bundle
    • Offer was extended through next week since Playstation Heroes is not arriving until the end of this week
  • :360::ps3: 3-22 Crysis 2 (Reg. $59.99) Offer Save 10,000 SYWR + Save $30 on $50 PSN or 4000 XBLA Points Card + Save $20 on Turtle Beach Head Sets
    • If the stores do not have the 4000 Points or $50 PSN represented on the sales floor send a pic of your receipt to SHC Ad Monster and we'll substitute with a $20 gift card
    • SHC Stock Boy will comment tomorrow on the Turtle Beach Head Set in-stock. This is featured in the circular so no gift card will be substituted but we will help coordinate a rain check if needed.
    • All stores will receive the LE edition of Crysis 2 for launch.
  • :360::ps3::wii::ds: 3-22 Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars 15,000 SYWR Points ($15) - 3DS not included
  • :360::ps3: Bullestorm $39.99 (Reg. $59.99)
Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular)

March 20th through March 26th:

• :ps3: $50 gift card with 160GB PS3 ($299.99)
    • Note: 3-27 (Next week) Killzone 3 bundle with free Killzone 2. Just want everyone to know if it affects buying decisions
  • :wii: Wii Consoles $179.99 (Reg. $199.99)
Note: Savings Coupon offers are valid in all stores

Coming Soon:

Update: Submitting Feb./Mar. offers as SYWR promotions. Will post as soon as they are approved. At the end of Mar. the coupon issue will be fixed and we'll go back to normal. For Feb . SYWR offers, there will be limit 2 per customer (the SYWR card will limit bonuses systematically).

As of Feb 6th, to earn SYWR bonuses a member has to have a valid email address on their profile and opted in before purchasing an item with a bonus offer. This has been communicated to members through SYWR emails and in the circular along with new signage indicating to receive bonus offers they have to have a valid email address on file and opted in to receive email. Opting in to receive SYWR bonus offers is not too bad:

1. Log in to your account online
2. Click "My offers"
3. Click "More about me"
4. Scroll down to contact preferences
5. Click the boxes to receive email from (I suggest all for tomorrow). I'll post if you just have to accept Kmart in the future.

*This list is not comprehensive of every promotion that may be coming and release dates are subject to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I wanted to take advantage of the free Yakuza 3 deal + points, the 3643 Kmart didn't get any new shipments of Yakuza 3 or 4 so I had to opt for Best Buy instead. :\

[quote name='medetron']hey josh now that you are here 2 quick questions, will there be any deal on the tomb raider trilogy thats coming out next week? it was one of the only ones that didn't get pushed back like the splinter cell or prince of Persia set. also is there ever going to be a discount on collectors editions? my store has a ton of collectors editions just taking up space and scream buy me every time i pass by lol[/QUOTE]
Probably not at launch, but when the Ubi stuff comes out I'll have a combo offer.

CE's; tough markdown here. Not a lot of publisher support to get out of these.

[quote name='Firecrest']As much as I wanted to take advantage of the free Yakuza 3 deal + points, the 3643 Kmart didn't get any new shipments of Yakuza 3 or 4 so I had to opt for Best Buy instead. :\[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they receive them, but since they are not out on the sales floor they do not deserve your business.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']CE's; tough markdown here. Not a lot of publisher support to get out of these.[/QUOTE]

So publishers just expect you to magically sell out these at MSRP?

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I'm sure they receive them, but since they are not out on the sales floor they do not deserve your business.[/QUOTE]

When I asked, both cashiers told me that they didn't get them in. Now whether or not they were misinformed I dunno *shrug*.

Regardless of the mishap, I prefer supporting K-Mart (despite how unorganized that store is) over the competition and would've rather taken advantage of your deals since I'm kinda' reluctant to play Yakuza 4 until I start 3.

[quote name='Josh5890']So publishers just expect you to magically sell out these at MSRP?[/QUOTE]
I know, right?

That's why CE is such a tough balance. Big time pre order deal (which we don't have).

[quote name='Firecrest']When I asked, both cashiers told me that they didn't get them in. Now whether or not they were misinformed I dunno *shrug*.

Regardless of the mishap, I prefer supporting K-Mart (despite how unorganized that store is) over the competition and would've rather taken advantage of your deals since I'm kinda' reluctant to play Yakuza 4 until I start 3.[/QUOTE]
If you have time shoot me an email with the store and I'll follow up.

Man... can't decide if I want to buy Homefront or not..... seems like the perfect candidate for a $40 game in a month or so...

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I know, right?

That's why CE is such a tough balance. Big time pre order deal (which we don't have).[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the extra shelf space they take up. Things seem pretty tight already at the Kmarts I shop at.

[quote name='Josh5890']Not to mention the extra shelf space they take up. Things seem pretty tight already at the Kmarts I shop at.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason they're so tight on space at K-Mart is because of all the old games they still have. K-Mart was never a destination for 90% if not 100% of the people I know for buying games. Now that it is hopefully sales will continually increase and they'll be able to get CE of some games and offer bonuses on them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.giantbomb.com/homefront/61-26633/reviews/

suspicions about homefront confirmed.

Homefront is a five-hour anticlimax. It is endless buildup toward horror and shock, constantly kneecapped by the developer's unwillingness to make good on its threats of emotional impact. Its "terrifyingly plausible" tale of an America overrun by a newly powerful unified Korean regime seems like the stuff of paranoid nightmare, the kind of story that certainly could make for a troubling, intense video game experience. Instead, developer Kaos Studios plays it safe, out and out refusing every opportunity to explore its own narrative and instead resting entirely on a series of dully standard shooting missions, periodically punctuated by scenes of terrible things happening to characters you've developed zero attachment to. Were that action of a more visceral and exciting quality, and not merely a generally easy, periodically frustrating, and largely uninspired copy of every other modern shooter of the era--with one particularly modern game of warfare among them--you might be able to forgive Homefront's disinterest in storytelling. Instead, excitement often eludes the game, and were it not for a small handful of genuinely interesting setpiece battles and a decent multiplayer suite, Homefront would be completely dismissible.

Someday we'll see the end of these call of duty clones, but that day is not today.

Picked up :360: Homefront along with 1600 MS points at the Bridgeton, MO store with no issues. The 10,000 bonus points were also correctly added to my account. For anyone in the area interested in Yakuza 3/4, they have 3 copies of both games. Yazuka 3 is off to the right of the case with the cheaper games.

Super epic fail at my local K-Mart (#3187, Langhorne PA) today when trying to buy Homefront.

I walk up and the guy working there is talking to another co-worker, about his age but female. I hear him say "so I gotta send you pictures first, then you'll send some to me?" and she laughs and says "that depends on if I feel like taking them or not". Already off to a bad start.

Upon asking for a copy of Homefront and asking about the deal, the guy says he never heard of it and can't give it to me. He asks me to go home and double-check what I read. Doesn't help that the deal wasn't posted in the circular. I ask him to try ringing it up and he does but he says that it just says "sale 59.99". I told him that is the regular price. Anyway, about the deal, I tell him I'm sure it's K-Mart, and that I'll go home and print the thing out. It is annoying though, because the K-Mart is about twenty minutes away, so I have to waste the gas yet again to go up there with a print-out of the blog. All in all I'll have spent about an hour going back and forth from K-Mart just to try and take advantage of one of their deals.

No wonder they have such a bad rep.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Super epic fail at my local K-Mart (#3187, Langhorne PA) today when trying to buy Homefront.

I walk up and the guy working there is talking to another co-worker, about his age but female. I hear him say "so I gotta send you pictures first, then you'll send some to me?" and she laughs and says "that depends on if I feel like taking them or not". Already off to a bad start.

Upon asking for a copy of Homefront and asking about the deal, the guy says he never heard of it and can't give it to me. He asks me to go home and double-check what I read. Doesn't help that the deal wasn't posted in the circular. I ask him to try ringing it up and he does but he says that it just says "sale 59.99". I told him that is the regular price. Anyway, about the deal, I tell him I'm sure it's K-Mart, and that I'll go home and print the thing out. It is annoying though, because the K-Mart is about twenty minutes away, so I have to waste the gas yet again to go up there with a print-out of the blog. All in all I'll have spent about an hour going back and forth from K-Mart just to try and take advantage of one of their deals.

No wonder they have such a bad rep.[/QUOTE]

Should have just asked for Homefront, a 1600 points card, and used your Rewards Card. The register would have handled it and the douche could go on being a douche.

I think it should be in bold on every page of this thread :

DO NOT ASK THE KMART EMPLOYEES ABOUT THESE DEALS THEY ONLY ARE CAPABLE OF MAKING PEOPLE SAD

Then again from the (trustworthy) reviews the employee may have been doing you a favor.

[quote name='jer7583']Should have just asked for Homefront, a 1600 points card, and used your Rewards Card. The register would have handled it and the douche could go on being a douche.

DO NOT ASK THE KMART EMPLOYEES ABOUT THESE DEALS THEY ONLY ARE CAPABLE OF MAKING PEOPLE SAD[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I think the first rule for K-Mart Gamer should be identical to the first rule of Fight Club.[/QUOTE]

Think that about covers it. :D

Well I dont call anything a cod clone seeing as cod came after battlefield and seeing as battlefield is still around. Every game uses something from someone anyways. I didnt buy Homefront because I thought itd have better ratings than the marquee I got more press than you titles.

[quote name='jer7583']Should have just asked for Homefront, a 1600 points card, and used your Rewards Card. The register would have handled it and the douche could go on being a douche.

DO NOT ASK THE KMART EMPLOYEES ABOUT THESE DEALS THEY ONLY ARE CAPABLE OF MAKING PEOPLE SAD

Then again from the (trustworthy) reviews the employee may have been doing you a favor.[/QUOTE]

This. Along with other commonly asked questions need to be added to the OP as they come up. Cause I am now a huge supporter of K-Mart and this thread, along with many other CAGs I am sure, but this topic is getting derailed so often because of so many common questions that are answered 5-10 times a day.

Well Josh obviously isn't going to put out a statment saying that his own store employees are too dumb to know about the deals so just buy it and don't say anything to the employees.

That would be fairly poor conduct for anyone at a corporate level to publicly talk mess about local store employees.

That's why we're here to tell people, yo - they're dumb.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']How about we just get rid of Call of Duty and Activision?[/QUOTE]

As lovely as that sounds, it is a little hard for a franchise that sells 10+ million copies of their game annually to just vanish.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Super epic fail at my local K-Mart (#3187, Langhorne PA) today when trying to buy Homefront.

No wonder they have such a bad rep.[/QUOTE]

That sucks dude; I never had a problem like that at that Kmart.

Then again from the (trustworthy) reviews the employee may have been doing you a favor.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Saix_XIII']This. Along with other commonly asked questions need to be added to the OP as they come up. Cause I am not a huge supporter of K-Mart and this thread, along with many other CAGs I am sure, but this topic is getting derailed so often because of so many common questions that are answered 5-10 times a day.[/QUOTE]

The idea that I can't ask the employee about the deal because they are so clueless is laughable. Like I said, no wonder they have such a bad rep.

[quote name='jer7583']Well Josh obviously isn't going to put out a statment saying that his own store employees are too dumb to know about the deals so just buy it and don't say anything to the employees.

That would be fairly poor conduct for anyone at a corporate level to publicly talk mess about local store employees.

That's why we're here to tell people, yo - they're dumb.[/QUOTE]

Granted he won't insult the store or employees, but he did come close just a short while ago today.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I'm sure they receive them, but since they are not out on the sales floor they do not deserve your business.[/QUOTE]

Based on that statement I think Josh is getting a bit fed up with the lack of information employees are given and/or the lack of motivation the employees have in looking to see if the sales are active and helping the customer as best they can.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']The idea that I can't ask the employee about the deal because they are so clueless is laughable. Like I said, no wonder they have such a bad rep.[/QUOTE]
Either that employee was clueless, or he didn't try hard enough because he was busy wooing that other employee.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Probably not at launch, but when the Ubi stuff comes out I'll have a combo offer.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it's been a truly disappointing day all around for me. I've been looking forward to the supposed Tomb Raider offer, but I would have preferred simply getting points over having them linked to the other trilogies. I already bought the Prince of Persia trilogy from PSN after Ubi swore it wouldn't come out on disk, so u have no reason to buy it again. And I hate the Splinter Cell series, so I have no intention on buying that one.

This follows reading about the 3DS offer which I was also hoping to be simply points but was expecting, and dreading, it was going to be $xx-off a game. I was going to buy the system because I knew there were going to be games I wanted coming out at some point, but sadly none of the launch titles interest me at all.

Ah well. Can't please all the people all the time.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
Upon asking for a copy of Homefront and asking about the deal, the guy says he never heard of it and can't give it to me. He asks me to go home and double-check what I read.[/QUOTE]

My philosophy: never assume the employees know anything about deals. I am not dissing Kmart; I am referring to all employees at all retail stores. If I see a deal, I bring all the stuff to the cashier and watch the screen as the items are rung up. I only inquire if the deal doesn't ring up. And if I'm not successful at first, I ask for the manager.

Got my Homefront, XBLA pts, and SYWR pts with no problems.

My first SYWR purchase and I ended up with 12,400 bonus pts (excludes the base pts earned). Unless someone tells me otherwise, I assume I got extra bonus points because it was my first purchase as a new member.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']The idea that I can't ask the employee about the deal because they are so clueless is laughable. Like I said, no wonder they have such a bad rep.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna argue with you there.

But at the same time I think the deals are good enough that accepting that you know more than the employees and doing just a little bit of research up front is worth it.

Sharing my experience at store number 4706 (Riverside, CA).

Saw about 4 copies of Yakuza 3 on the shelf for $14.99 but didn't see Yakuza 4. Tracked down a clerk in the electronics department and inquired about Yakuza 4.

"Oh, I think we got a box of games that I am supposed to put out!," She exclaimed.

3 minutes later, she returned with a big box with Yakuza 3 & 4, Super Mario All Star, and other games inside it. She mumbled something to the effect of, "I think you get a free game with Yakuza 4, so what system do you want the game for?"

Rang up both games fine, got Yakuza 3 for free along with $10 in my Rewards Card (she was surprised by the $10 credit).

In the ~10 months I've been frequenting there for my gaming needs, mostly due to this thread, I think the store is slowly making progress. I don't really blame the clerk for not knowing certain games are system exclusives (after all, Kmart sells more than just games), and they don't really have to be able to recite the specifics of the weekly special, as long as it rings up fine. I think progress can be made in the area of putting out the games promptly. This isn't the first time where I go there and the games aren't out there. This time, the clerk actually went back to check. Last time (week of DQVI promotion), a different clerk simply said they didn't get any and refused to check. But when I was there today, they had a stack of DQVI at the bottom of the shelf, not even hung on the hangers. Just a little bit of constructive criticism.

Love the deals and I appreciate Josh keeping us up to date and resolving issues whenever they arise.

The Kmart nearest me (about 30 miles away) is pretty crappy but I must admit that I had quite the pleasant experience today. Luckily it's in the area I work so I wasn';t going out of my way or anything. The woman at customer service got me signed up to SYWR in about one minute. Then the guy in electronics was very helpful. He asked what I was looking for and I told him Homefront for 360. He quickly looked at some kind of cheat sheet on the counter that listed the game promotions and said "Free points card and 10,000 points. Ok, let me go get your card." He wnt to the cards section and said "Actually, we seem to be all out of 1600 point cards." I told him that was fine because I actually wanted the $20 PSN card anyway. He said he wasn't sure that would work but I told him it should. Everything rang up fin and I was in and out in no more than five minutes.

the K-Mart in Peoria, IL doesn't have any 1600 point cards...they told me that they are having trouble getting shipments of points cards in this year for some reason...anyways, i still bought Homefront and my 10,000 points showed up on my receipt and just took a picture of my receipt and sent it off to the e-mail on the front page...

Got yakuza 3/4 today. Employee had both still in the ups box on his desk. Might try asking them to look with the new releases if u have trouble. Another good deal! first time i haven't had points issues since sywr too.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Probably not at launch, but when the Ubi stuff comes out I'll have a combo offer.

CE's; tough markdown here. Not a lot of publisher support to get out of these.[/QUOTE]

dammit! was hoping to grab tomb raider on release day from k-mart :cry:, any clue on what kind of deal you looking to get? buy 1 get 1 half off or buy 1 get xx amount of the other one? seeing as splinter cell and prince of Persia come out on different days, how exactly will you tie them together?

CE's are pretty much just sitting on the shelves of my store. those killzone boxes alone are huge lol, so how exactly can places like gamestop or best buy mark there CE's down so much but k-mart can't? best buy had those grand turismo 5, assassins creed and halo legendary editions so low after a few months?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I blame the alcohol we have inevitably driven him to following the Starcraft 2 promotion. Poor Josh... I think he still wakes up in a nightsweat from it.

I also blame Stock Boy. Just because it's Stock Boy. Just kidding. Please don't send the ninjas again.[/QUOTE]
Really appreciate your comments on the blog.

[quote name='Josh5890']Not to mention the extra shelf space they take up. Things seem pretty tight already at the Kmarts I shop at.[/QUOTE]
It got so bad that my local Kmart that they had to take out a GTA4 CE that was taking up space in the case and set it out with the music games. I'm not sure if it's still there, but it had a thick layer of dust when I first saw it outside the case. Still rang up at $90, too.

Finally got around to commenting on the blog. Hopefully I didn't make too much of an ass of myself. :) EDIT: Thanks Josh.

SHC Gamer/Monster-
So on facebook you mentioned the rad deal.. I am totally OK with money off a game-despite not being any launch titles i really feel warrant my purchase-but i need something dont I. regardless.. My question is this:
What is the launch plans for the 3ds at the stores? Reason I ask is I refuse to wait in line for a number of reasons: one my wife probably would make fun and give me a hard time-and i have a 2 year old; and I am not an apple ipad/ipod customer so I don't enjoy wasting an entire day to spend money I work hard to earn.
SO, do you expect 'every' store to have 'several' copies of the 3ds and titles.. I see you have a limit of two for the deal- so would assume kmart will have 15 plus systems per store.. I just tossed a number out. :) Thanks guys. BTW: if it matters I am in near tacoma, WA

Curiosity question for Josh:

We're still seeing a lot of Kmart employees who either don't know about the blog or are resistant to honor the deals posted there, despite your best efforts (e.g. sending weekly e-mails with the deals listed and including a link to the blog in the weekly ad). As noted, the system is automated enough that most deals ring up correctly even if the employee doesn't know about it. Even so, some customers are running into trouble, and I know it's a point of frustration for you too.

I'm assuming the blog was created with the goal of being an exclusive place to get special offers, not unlike the loyalty programs other stores use. But it's definitely got its share of headaches. That said, in your view, has it been worth maintaining the blog versus the much simpler route of printing the deals in the weekly ad directly?

No criticism or anything intended, I'm just interested since I work in marketing myself. And maybe I'm asking more about corporate strategy than you're free to comment on, but it's worth a shot. ;)

[quote name='Blank Earth']
I'm assuming the blog was created with the goal of being an exclusive place to get special offers, not unlike the loyalty programs other stores use. But it's definitely got its share of headaches. That said, in your view, has it been worth maintaining the blog versus the much simpler route of printing the deals in the weekly ad directly?
[/QUOTE]

There's not enough room in the weekly ad and he'd have to fight for every inch of real estate.

There was signage at my Kmart again for the Yakuza deal. There was a sign on the case noting that Y3 was free as well as the SYWR points. There was also a sign next to Y3 on the shelf.

The 3DS deal is stellar. Unfortunately, I will be out of the country on the 27th and I worry I would have no chance at getting it on the 28th. :( I am not sure what to do here. Looking forward to a preorder system of some sort for sure.

Kmart #9532 has only one copy of Yakuza 3 left, thanks to yours truly. :)

With my points applied I walked out with Y3 & Y4 for the sweet price of $4.61. Can't beat that with a stick.

[quote name='Josh5890']As lovely as that sounds, it is a little hard for a franchise that sells 10+ million copies of their game annually to just vanish.[/QUOTE]
I don't know. Activision did a pretty stellar job doing just that with Guitar Hero. :)

Debating about Crysis 2. Not sure I have to have it at launch when I've got so many other things still on the docket to play, but the points offer is incredibly tempting. Going to need points for the AC:B, DJ Hero, and other DLC I've been wanting, and down to 800 space bucks. If the Shift 2 offer is strong, I might roll onto that game too. I'm hungry for a good driving game, TDU2 really let me down.

[quote name='confoosious']There's not enough room in the weekly ad and he'd have to fight for every inch of real estate.[/QUOTE]
Yep. Most ads give, what, two pages to electronics? He'd have to fight for real estate against movies, TVs, gadgets, etc. The blog lets him do as many or few deals as he wants, and gives him no space limitations, and more flexibility to adjust deals. Once it's in print, you're kind of committed.

I can see space being a limitation, but not necessarily an insurmountable one. With the right design, you could do it most weeks. But then again, I'm not sure what kind of internal dynamics are at play, since Josh obviously doesn't lay out the ad himself.

[quote name='Blank Earth']I can see space being a limitation, but not necessarily an insurmountable one. With the right design, you could do it most weeks. But then again, I'm not sure what kind of internal dynamics are at play, since Josh obviously doesn't lay out the ad himself.[/QUOTE]

If he could've squeezed in more, don't you think he would've done so by now?

I don't know. That's exactly why I'm asking. I was simply curious whether their exclusion is intentional or whether it's necessary because of factors beyond his control. Certainly wasn't trying to argue one point or another.

Hey just wanted to post this real fast.

Sent in an email issue about yak4 deal to ad monster, and it wasn't even an hour later before he replied back with a complete solution and also suggestions of what went wrong. Awesome guy and he gets things done!

Welcome to CAG Ad Monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back