Not open for further replies.

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

March 20th through March 26th:

• :ps3: 3-22 Playstation Heroes (Reg. $39.99) offer 10,000 SYWR + Save $25 instantly with purchase of Move bundle
    • Offer was extended through next week since Playstation Heroes is not arriving until the end of this week
  • :360::ps3: 3-22 Crysis 2 (Reg. $59.99) Offer Save 10,000 SYWR + Save $30 on $50 PSN or 4000 XBLA Points Card + Save $20 on Turtle Beach Head Sets
    • If the stores do not have the 4000 Points or $50 PSN represented on the sales floor send a pic of your receipt to SHC Ad Monster and we'll substitute with a $20 gift card
    • SHC Stock Boy will comment tomorrow on the Turtle Beach Head Set in-stock. This is featured in the circular so no gift card will be substituted but we will help coordinate a rain check if needed.
    • All stores will receive the LE edition of Crysis 2 for launch.
  • :360::ps3::wii::ds: 3-22 Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars 15,000 SYWR Points ($15) - 3DS not included
  • :360::ps3: Bullestorm $39.99 (Reg. $59.99)
Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular)

March 20th through March 26th:

• :ps3: $50 gift card with 160GB PS3 ($299.99)
    • Note: 3-27 (Next week) Killzone 3 bundle with free Killzone 2. Just want everyone to know if it affects buying decisions
  • :wii: Wii Consoles $179.99 (Reg. $199.99)
Note: Savings Coupon offers are valid in all stores

Coming Soon:

Update: Submitting Feb./Mar. offers as SYWR promotions. Will post as soon as they are approved. At the end of Mar. the coupon issue will be fixed and we'll go back to normal. For Feb . SYWR offers, there will be limit 2 per customer (the SYWR card will limit bonuses systematically).

As of Feb 6th, to earn SYWR bonuses a member has to have a valid email address on their profile and opted in before purchasing an item with a bonus offer. This has been communicated to members through SYWR emails and in the circular along with new signage indicating to receive bonus offers they have to have a valid email address on file and opted in to receive email. Opting in to receive SYWR bonus offers is not too bad:

1. Log in to your account online
2. Click "My offers"
3. Click "More about me"
4. Scroll down to contact preferences
5. Click the boxes to receive email from (I suggest all for tomorrow). I'll post if you just have to accept Kmart in the future.

*This list is not comprehensive of every promotion that may be coming and release dates are subject to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SHC-Gamer']You know what's crazy....they are right! Just learned of it myself. Feel free to shoot me your info (my info is in the OP) and receipt # and I'll take care of you.[/QUOTE]

Well after 20 minutes of talking to them trying to figure out the issue, I just left. So if I go back and buy it, I give you my receipt # and then what?

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views

:360::ps3:1-25 Dead Space 2 Free 1600 XBLA Points or $20 PSN for Free
  • We show positive instock on the cards but if you run into an issue just let me know and I'll work with you.
  • Offer valid from 1/25 through 1-29
  • In many cases the points/PSN cards are located in the Gift Card rack near the front of the store by mistake.
** Offer not valid in New Jersey** :D

A quick google search for stored value card NJ law has yielded many results. So far, something to do with their unclaimed property law. I am sure it is another case of government getting in the way of commerce due to some jackass that cant control themselves...

[quote name='UNDRDOGx']Well after 20 minutes of talking to them trying to figure out the issue, I just left. So if I go back and buy it, I give you my receipt # and then what?[/QUOTE]
Just copy the format in the OP for reaching out to me and I'll shoot the value in a gift card.

[quote name='Rahxephon']It would be much easier to find helpful tips and news on this forum if you didn't need to sort through ten pages of bickering first. I come here looking for ways to save some cash, not to read petty rants like every other forum on the net.[/QUOTE]
You do realize that you're doing exactly what you're whining about right?

Also, just a piece of advice to everyone:
CAG can be viewed at more than 15 posts per page. For example, I have it set to show 100 posts per page. Not only does it allow you to view more content at once, it also makes it a lot easier to browse large threads. Here's the link to edit that:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

As for the points card thing, this really does baffle me. Why exactly? I guess I don't think they are problematic. I dunno. then again, I'm not a politician ;).

[quote name='rzenger'][quote name='SHC-Gamer']Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views

:360::ps3:1-25 Dead Space 2 Free 1600 XBLA Points or $20 PSN for Free
  • We show positive instock on the cards but if you run into an issue just let me know and I'll work with you.
  • Offer valid from 1/25 through 1-29
  • In many cases the points/PSN cards are located in the Gift Card rack near the front of the store by mistake.
** Offer not valid in New Jersey** :D[/QUOTE]
You're right!

[quote name='Altanis']You do realize that you're doing exactly what you're whining about right?

Also, just a piece of advice to everyone:
CAG can be viewed at more than 15 posts per page. For example, I have it set to show 100 posts per page. Not only does it allow you to view more content at once, it also makes it a lot easier to browse large threads. Here's the link to edit that:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

As for the points card thing, this really does baffle me. Why exactly? I guess I don't think they are problematic. I dunno. then again, I'm not a politician ;).[/QUOTE]
I don't know how I would survive without having it at a hundred posts view.

Takes forever to view on my phone that way though.

Heh Josh, now you're gonna have to remember that with every points card deal you do.

"Offer does not apply to New Jersey. Not because we don't want you to take advantage of the deal.... It's just that your government doesn't like you"

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I don't know how I would survive without having it at a hundred posts view.

Takes forever to view on my phone that way though.[/QUOTE]
Same here. First thing I do when I register on a forum is to change the settings to view the maximum number of posts per page allowed. Only problem is that my phone isn't 3G capable. Luckily it compresses things wonderfully to where a full 100 post CAG page is normally pretty quick to load.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Just copy the format in the OP for reaching out to me and I'll shoot the value in a gift card.[/QUOTE]

Well if I don't head back out tonight, I'll do it tomorrow. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

[quote name='Altanis']Heh Josh, now you're gonna have to remember that with every points card deal you do.

"Offer does not apply to New Jersey. Not because we don't want you to take advantage of the deal.... It's just that your government doesn't like you"[/QUOTE]
It would be a pretty good blog post as well :)

[quote name='UNDRDOGx']Well if I don't head back out tonight, I'll do it tomorrow. I really appreciate it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Take your time, whatever works best for you.

[quote name='Interfeci']Yeah, Jersey wants to size gift cards after a few years to fix their debt. Somehow.[/QUOTE]

And they want to make it retroactive!

Maybe retailers aren't selling these in nj cause they don't want the hassle on dealing with consumers pissed off after two years. ( don't blame em)

I don't think the law says they can't sell them.

That is definitely a very "random" law...I need to do some research about the origin of this. Ludicrous I say. Retailers will definitely have a response.

Before emailing Josh, just checking to see if I'm in the right or not. Bought game X on XBOX 360, used $40 of coupons on it. Tried to exchange it for game X on PS3 as my buddies also picked up the game. Manager wouldn't let me do an even exchange, said I could be refunded the $19.99 left and buy the new game for $59.99. To me it's a no brainer and I didn't buy the excuse of "they are totally different products".

[quote name='Trance Addix']That is definitely a very "random" law...I need to do some research about the origin of this. Ludicrous I say. Retailers will definitely have a response.[/QUOTE]

Origin? Sounds like a lawmaker and an accountant in NJ got together and smoked some crack.

[quote name='scoary']Before emailing Josh, just checking to see if I'm in the right or not. Bought game X on XBOX 360, used $40 of coupons on it. Tried to exchange it for game X on PS3 as my buddies also picked up the game. Manager wouldn't let me do an even exchange, said I could be refunded the $19.99 left and buy the new game for $59.99. To me it's a no brainer and I didn't buy the excuse of "they are totally different products".[/QUOTE]

They acted according to policy.

Thy aren't really the same product. Different people get paid

(sorry for double post. Can't multiquote on phone. $

[quote name='confoosious']Origin? Sounds like a lawmaker and an accountant in NJ got together and smoked some crack.[/QUOTE]

Hahah, I'm still giving NJ the benefit of the doubt. Nothing this absurd can be passed without some sort of logic, but heck - maybe you are right ;)

[quote name='io']Hello!?

I'm not one to do this sort of thing, but do I need to hand out like 10 1 week silencings? It would be interesting to see how this thread would be if a certain set of people didn't post at all for that long - and it would be people on both sides of this so-called debate, by the way...

And I hazard to guess that a few people would become more productive in their work and personal lives if they took a break too... Maybe play a few games and such, even ;).[/QUOTE]

Please do

[quote name='scoary']Before emailing Josh, just checking to see if I'm in the right or not. Bought game X on XBOX 360, used $40 of coupons on it. Tried to exchange it for game X on PS3 as my buddies also picked up the game. Manager wouldn't let me do an even exchange, said I could be refunded the $19.99 left and buy the new game for $59.99. To me it's a no brainer and I didn't buy the excuse of "they are totally different products".[/QUOTE]

Yeah all coupons are non-refundable. I thought you could do an even exchange though. Thanks for the story..good to know.

Although I wish common sense could/should be applied in these situations, I do believe policy was enforced correctly. I've sent an email to ops to clarify though. I deifnitley don't want to dismiss the issue without digging a little more.

Well I guess that answers my question I asked a few times about if I could exchange Mass Effect 2 for Little Big Planet 2 to no response. Kind of sucks, I'm not sure I really want to keep ME2. I'll read/watch some more reviews and think about it some more. Thanks for the info. :)

[quote name='Geb']Well I guess that answers my question I asked a few times about if I could exchange Mass Effect 2 for Little Big Planet 2 to no response. Kind of sucks, I'm not sure I really want to keep ME2. I'll read/watch some more reviews and think about it some more. Thanks for the info. :)[/QUOTE]
Please keep ME2, it is a masterpiece :)

[quote name='io']Hello!?

I'm not one to do this sort of thing, but do I need to hand out like 10 1 week silencings? It would be interesting to see how this thread would be if a certain set of people didn't post at all for that long - and it would be people on both sides of this so-called debate, by the way...

And I hazard to guess that a few people would become more productive in their work and personal lives if they took a break too... Maybe play a few games and such, even ;).[/QUOTE]
Hey, I took my silencing. It's obvious I wasn't the problem because the thread was exactly the same when I got back!

well I'm guessing one of the main reasons why that isn't allowed is example A: buy ME2 for $44.99 exchange for LBP2 which is 59.99. and so fourth. exchange from platform to platform might be more trickier as sometimes one platform will be on sale while the other one isn't.

Probably because KMart doesnt want to hassle with reporting the unliquidated balances of the cards in question.

http://www.legalbytes.com/uploads/file/NJ Bill A3002 2010.pdf

and

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/news/2010/p100701a.pdf

A stored value card for which there has been no stored value card activity for two years is presumed abandoned. The proceeds of a stored value card presumed abandoned shall be the value of the card, in money, on the date the stored value card is presumed abandoned. An issuer of a stored value card shall obtain the name and address of the purchaser or owner of each stored value card issued or sold and shall, at a minimum, maintain a record of the zip code of the owner or purchaser.

Not suprising from a state where its illegal to pump your own gas... (or it used to be 10 years ago - has that changed?)

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Although I wish common sense could/should be applied in these situations, I do believe policy was enforced correctly. I've sent an email to ops to clarify though. I deifnitley don't want to dismiss the issue without digging a little more.[/QUOTE]

No problem. Thanks for the quick response. If that's policy it is what it is. Thanks for looking into issues like always Josh.

[quote name='Geb']Well I guess that answers my question I asked a few times about if I could exchange Mass Effect 2 for Little Big Planet 2 to no response. Kind of sucks, I'm not sure I really want to keep ME2. I'll read/watch some more reviews and think about it some more. Thanks for the info. :)[/QUOTE]
ME2 is wholly enthralling and addicting. I'm already on my 2nd playthrough with an entirely new class.

[quote name='johnnymavrik']Probably because KMart doesnt want to hassle with reporting the unliquidated balances of the cards in question.

and

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/news/2010/p100701a.pdf[/QUOTE]

There's no way this applies to PSN and Live cards (though I can understand Kmart pulling everything until it's sorted out). If it does, New Jersey's government is dumber than I thought, because how in the world is Kmart supposed to know how many Xbox Live Points are unredeemed after two years? Store gift cards, I can kind of understand, they should be able to track that (and in fact, many do because they either invalidate or take money from unused cards after a certain period of time, unless a state, like CA, expressly has laws against it). But 3rd party cards? No way.

Of course, the law says they need to have names and addresses of everyone that bought a card, and I don't see how you can make that retroactive, so maybe the state is just run by idiots.

I have a $10 Gaming purchase coupon from the Mario All-Star promotion that expires tomorrow. I I went to my local Kmart and tried to use them on a 1600 points card but was denied by the cashier and her supervisor on the other register. The first page seems to indicate that I can use the coupon on a card. Is there something I'm missing? I just don't want to lose the coupon.

[quote name='johnnymavrik']Probably because KMart doesnt want to hassle with reporting the unliquidated balances of the cards in question.

http://www.legalbytes.com/uploads/file/NJ%20Bill%20A3002%202010.pdf

and

Not suprising from a state where its illegal to pump your own gas... (or it used to be 10 years ago - has that changed?)[/QUOTE]
I don't know if it's illegal or not, but I do it almost everytime I have to go to that damned state for work. The attendant is usually far too slow to get over to me, if they're even around at all.

No worker's ever said anything to me before, except to make sure I entered everything correctly about my credit card. I had a customer look at me like I was crazy once and asked why I was pumping my own gas, I was just like "oh yea, I forgot. I live in Louisiana, and I'm just so used to doing it myself."

and

Not suprising from a state where its illegal to pump your own gas... (or it used to be 10 years ago - has that changed?)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fujishig']There's no way this applies to PSN and Live cards (though I can understand Kmart pulling everything until it's sorted out). If it does, New Jersey's government is dumber than I thought, because how in the world is Kmart supposed to know how many Xbox Live Points are unredeemed after two years? Store gift cards, I can kind of understand, they should be able to track that (and in fact, many do because they either invalidate or take money from unused cards after a certain period of time, unless a state, like CA, expressly has laws against it). But 3rd party cards? No way.

Of course, the law says they need to have names and addresses of everyone that bought a card, and I don't see how you can make that retroactive, so maybe the state is just run by idiots.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Confoosious was right - they did smoke crack.

OK, but the law doesn't say they can't sell gift cards, right? Kmart just doesn't want to deal with the new requirements. And I see where this is coming from - they want people to be able to claim funds from lost gift cards and such after a certain period of time. So I'm sure it has good intentions, whether it was implemented in a good way or not. (For one thing, it seems like it should only apply to cash-value type store gift cards and not specific use points-type cards like for XBL).

Of course this does undermine the reasons stores offer gift cards in the first place - they count on a certain percentage never being used. So, yeah, I could see why big business would want to whine and complain as much as possible about this.

You gotta love the employees at these stores saying the reason they were pulled is that it is "illegal to sell gift cards". Way to overreact - but anything to make govt look like the big bad boogeyman flies pretty easily with the masses these days...

[quote name='FINALBOSS']Hey, I took my silencing. It's obvious I wasn't the problem because the thread was exactly the same when I got back![/QUOTE]
That doesn't make any sense, unless you operate under the false proposition that only one person can be causing an entire thread's problems. Since common sense says that's not true, then simply because the thread did not become a holy land of civility does not discount any role you have in it. If 10 speakers are all playing loud music, turning one off won't make much of an audible difference to anyone listening -- it'll still sound very loud and terrible.

I'm not saying you are the problem, however. I leave those decisions of judgment up to the gods mods. But what you said really doesn't make sense, especially not in this thread. I don't have enough fingers to count all the people who have contributed to the overall douche index.

And now for something completely different.

Still curious about my questions a few pages back, Josh, if you have any answers you wish to give. If not, oh well. I'm just curious.

I'm sure this whole gift card debacle rests on the shoulders on our glorious fatass governor Christie. This guy has totally ruined education and any public employees in our state. Now, he has eyes on the White House. You better all hope and pray he dies of a heart attack before that.

I still don't quite understand what this law is stating as to the gift cards. That's just weird-I'll have to look into it.

BTW- When we had another 19" of snow yesterday and it was 2 degress out I was very happy I didn't have to get out of my car to pump my gas. :)

Josh, please tell me Kmart is getting something like this:

psmoveheroesbund530tru.jpg

and do a great deal on it! :]

[quote name='jaredstorm']Josh, please tell me Kmart is getting something like this:
and do a great deal on it! :][/QUOTE]

Ummm... "only at Toys R Us"...

[quote name='jaredstorm']Josh, please tell me Kmart is getting something like this:

psmoveheroesbund530tru.jpg

and do a great deal on it! :][/QUOTE]
Only if K-Mart gets purchased by Toys R Us

[quote name='io']OK, but the law doesn't say they can't sell gift cards, right? Kmart just doesn't want to deal with the new requirements. And I see where this is coming from - they want people to be able to claim funds from lost gift cards and such after a certain period of time. So I'm sure it has good intentions, whether it was implemented in a good way or not. (For one thing, it seems like it should only apply to cash-value type store gift cards and not specific use points-type cards like for XBL).

Of course this does undermine the reasons stores offer gift cards in the first place - they count on a certain percentage never being used. So, yeah, I could see why big business would want to whine and complain as much as possible about this.

You gotta love the employees at these stores saying the reason they were pulled is that it is "illegal to sell gift cards". Way to overreact - but anything to make govt look like the big bad boogeyman flies pretty easily with the masses these days...[/QUOTE]

I know this is still off topic, and I apologize... but no way is this change in the law for the protection of consumers, this is a money grab by the state.

[quote name='fujishig']I know this is still off topic, and I apologize... but no way is this change in the law for the protection of consumers, this is a money grab by the state.[/QUOTE]

Granted, I didn't read the whole thing (and am not going to since I live nowhere near NJ ;)) but is the law saying the state gets all the GC credit after 2 years? Or are they just claiming it for people to then, in turn, get it via filing a lost money claim. I know some states have web sites where you can enter your name/SS#/whatever and see if there are any bank funds and such that are under your name that you may have forgotten about. I figured it was something like this. If the state is keeping the money with no way for people to claim it, then, well, I agree that sucks and is a bad law.

Anyway, I apologize too for being off-topic... But the point remains that it is Kmarts choice to pull gift cards and not something mandated by the state.

Acquired same deal as post above but w/ xbox points. I almost didn't get it because of how they were supposed to ring up. It went DS2 then 1600 pts then LBP2 before it calculated right. Then sold off LBP2 for $45 since I don't want it now. :)

So this new jersey law... What Does this law say about reward card funds?
Sywr points are redeemable for money off purchases...

What about psp games like patapon 2, where there is no umd and just a psn redeem code?

This law is great bar trivia!!!

Looking forward to Two Worlds 2 next week.

Not the most positive reviews but it sounds quirky and different. Worth giving a try.

Thought about LBP/DS2 but LBP1 didn't click with me. DS2 is great though. No complaints there.

[quote name='Megatim81']So this new jersey law... What Does this law say about reward card funds?
Sywr points are redeemable for money off purchases...

What about psp games like patapon 2, where there is no umd and just a psn redeem code?

This law is great bar trivia!!![/QUOTE]
I'm still trying to wrap my head around.....as I read more I am not fully understanding our stance either. There is no way PSN or XBLA cards should be included. If anyone notices the competition selling these cards in NJ please let me know.

Are these deals advertised in the stores? I was looking for an indication of the LBP2 deal, but I couldn't find it. I was planning to use that to get Dead Space 2 half off along with a PSN card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back