Official Representative
I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

September 18th through the 24th:
link to blog post

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3, get a $20 gaming coupon.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.
Coupon valid from September 25 to November 5.

:360::ps3: Shadows of the Damned $29.99

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

September 18th through the 24th:

:360: Buy the limited edition Gears of War 320GB Xbox 360 system for $399.99, get Gears of War Triple Pack for free.

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3 and a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription card, get $30 off the price of the 12-month Gold card.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.

:360: Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 headset $44.99

:360: Halo ODST $9.99

:360::ps3: Brink $19.99

:360: Halo Reach $29.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

9-20 :360: Gears of War 3 $20 Gaming coupon + Buy game & 12-month Gold card, get $30 off 12-month Gold card.
9-27 :360::ps3: X-Men Destiny $15 Gaming coupon
9-27 :360::ps3: FIFA Soccer 12 $20 Gaming coupon
9-27 :ps3: Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection $15 Gaming coupon
10-4 :360::ps3: Spiderman: Edge of Time
10-4 :360::ps3: Rage
10-4 :360::ps3: Dark Souls
10-4 :360::ps3: NBA 2k12
10-11 :360::ps3: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
10-11 :360: Forza 4
10-11 :360::ps3: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
10-11 :wii::360::ps3: Just Dance 3
10-11 :360::ps3: RockSmith
10-16 :wii::360: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
10-17 :ds: Professor Layton and the Last Specter
10-18 :ps3: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
10-18 :360::ps3: Batman Arkham City
10-24 :3ds: Pokemon Rumble Blast
10-25 :wii::360::ps3: Disney Universe
10-25 :360::ps3: Battlefield 3
10-25 :360::ps3: Silent Hill Downpour
10-25 :360: Dance Central 2
10-25 :360: Kinect Sports 2
11-1 :360::ps3: James Bond: Goldeneye 007 Reloaded
11-1 :360::ps3: Sonic Generations
11-1 :ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
11-1 :360::ps3: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
11-8 :360::ps3: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
11-8 :360::ps3: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
11-11 :360::ps3: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
11-13 :3ds: Super Mario 3D Land
11-15 :360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run
11-15 :ps3: Silent Hill HD Collection
11-15 :360: Halo Anniversary
11-15 :wii: Mario and Sonic London 2012
11-15 :3ds: Shinobi
11-15 :360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third
11-15 :360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
11-15 :360::ps3: Rayman Origins
11-20 :wii: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
11-22 :ps3: Tekken Hybrid
11-22 :360::ps3: WWE 12
12-11 :3ds: Mario Kart 7
2012 TBA :3ds: Kid Icarus

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='harveyiscool']Thanks for beating a dead horse DPsycho. You too can't leave the issue alone, and not like I should be surprised.

1. Belligerent posts I would disagree with, but I guess that is how you thought of it.
2. Myself entitled to gaming deals? Nope, but definitely should have been a troublesome/worrysome period for any LEVEL HEADED Kmart customer.
3. Unapologetically - Haha, are you serious?
4. Making personal profit goes against the community ideals of CAG - Personal opinion I would assume. I see nothing on the front page referring to the "Goals of CheapAssGamer"
5. Being a part of the online community - I didn't know that making fun of others and posting opinions about others comments is needed to be a part of this site.

Many of the people on this thread alone contribute zero good to the "CAG community". They bash others and stray away, like you yourself, to anything constructively related about the third largest discount store in the United States. The Kmart thread should, theoretically, have to deal with customers and the Kmart rep discussing gaming deals, opinions on games/deals offered by Kmart, experiences at Kmart, or anything to do with Kmart. Instead, discussion like this shows up.

Oh yeah, "Not doing anything wrong by reselling". Are you sure about that? The other select 4 might not agree with you on that one.[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up. Nobody here likes you. You bring nothing to the table in this thread. You're the most worthless troll poster I've ever seen in my life. It's clear you get off on this but for the love of God just shut up already.

[quote name='harveyiscool']Jer7583 - You are right, nothing I say will change the opinions of some. However, most of the people just don't care apparently. So when a guy posts a semi-intelligent written two paragraph synopsis of his opinions on me from a discussion 50 pages ago, expect a reply. Of course some probably look at it like I do.

In 2010, we have a 15.5 BILLION DOLLAR REVENUE COMPANY with over 1300 stores. Oh yeah, Sears, only 23 BILLION DOLLAR REVENUE with over 2200 stores. Same company, apparently soon to be same deals. Sears Holding has over 280,000 employees and 9th largest retailer out there. This isn't a mom and pop store down the road from the street you grew up on that the employees know your name and help you load your car. But some people look at it that way.[/QUOTE]

Sears Holdings Corporation had a net loss of $170 million the first quarter of 2011, so your revenues don't mean a whole lot. I could care less about whether you sell on ebay or not, but to make an argument of "Well look how much they make," when in fact they are operating at a loss, added with the fact that Sears has been on the worst stock list two years in a row makes you look silly. Here's the last four quarters:
1st Quarter 2011: -170 million
4th Quarter 2010: +374 million
3rd Quarter 2010: -218 million
2nd Quarter 2010: -39 million, making it -43 million in losses over the last year.

Also, do not write in capital letters if you want people to take you seriously.

[quote name='Maineavalanche']Sears Holdings Corporation had a net loss of $170 million the first quarter of 2011, so your revenues don't mean a whole lot. I could care less about whether you sell on ebay or not, but to make an argument of "Well look how much they make," when in fact they are operating at a loss, added with the fact that Sears has been on the worst stock list two years in a row makes you look silly. Here's the last four quarters:
1st Quarter 2011: -170 million
4th Quarter 2010: +374 million
3rd Quarter 2010: -218 million
2nd Quarter 2010: -39 million, making it -43 million in losses over the last year.

Also, do not write in capital letters if you want people to take you seriously.[/QUOTE]

I did find it a little queer that in defense of K-Mart this guy was actually posting numbers showing how badly they have done as a company over the last year, and then topping it off with mentioning how poor Sears' stock is. :applause:

But seriously, this thread has been OT madness the last few weeks. Let's hope Josh will come out with some deals soon, so people will have something legit to talk about.

Anger, hostility ssr. Calm down buddy, it will be alright. Thanks for the breakdown in numbers, but then again, all net numbers are going to be skewed when you factor in the owners/CEO's pay which is going to be in the multi-millions that count towards that. Not to mention each and every cost deducted for taxes.

[quote name='harveyiscool']Was I grilled in this thread? I would say that, by about 4 of the normal people. What topped it off is getting a private message saying they "Got me" along with more. Just chuckle and move on. Back to the deals, which is a better discussion from my end.[/QUOTE]

It's a better discussion from your end because it's better for your eBay store.

Harvey is a douche in some people's opinions that has an ebay store where he may resell Kmarts shit and people disagree with that. Awesome but can we move on now?

Anyone have anything interesting to say? There must be something else to talk about..

What's the tally on the deal voting? Did Stockboy post it and get peoples hopes up that this will be the deal for every big upcoming release? Are people going to complain when it isn't? Why does Dead Island get that deal but not Uncharted 3 OMG!

Is the Vita coming out this year? If so it seems like there'll be a 3 way "competition" for holiday sales between that, 3DS, and the ipod. Which will have the most sales?

I like strawberries. What is your favorite fruit?

[quote name='sgaldis']I did find it a little queer that in defense of K-Mart this guy was actually posting numbers showing how badly they have done as a company over the last year, and then topping it off with mentioning how poor Sears' stock is. :applause:

But seriously, this thread has been OT madness the last few weeks. Let's hope Josh will come out with some deals soon, so people will have something legit to talk about.[/QUOTE]

I love Kmart because of the deals Josh brings us, I was just giving Harvey the actual numbers since he was misrepresenting how well Sears and Kmart actually do. I know this is a Kmart thread and we all want it to do well not only for ourselves, but for Josh since we all know how hard he works and I'm not trashing Kmart or Sears, I'm just giving objective, non-biased numbers. I do agree though, this whole thread has sucked for the past month because of a lack of deals to talk about, so here's to August.

[quote name='harveyiscool']I would agree ShockandAww. I'll go with

1. iPod
2. 3DS
3. Vita[/QUOTE]
I'd agree with that unless Vita turns out to be really good and has at least 2 very good launch titles. I doubt that though since there's already no HDMI and now it's 256 mb ram instead of 512. And I'm not sure if Uncharted is a confirmed release title or Sonys just hoping it will be. If it isn't it'll almost definitely be third place.

I agree but I think the price differential will be the biggest factor for consumers if they do a survey. Not to mention if Congress can't get this deal done, then spending is going to be wayyyyy down this Christmas season.

I just don't see how vita is going to avoid the same lack of 3rd party support that 3DS is suffering. For all the high end posturing sony does with vita it's essentially the same market as 3DS.

Vita titles are certainly going to be more expensive to develop than 3DS titles if they are original efforts and not simple downgraded ports from PS3, which isn't enough to sell anyone on that device. Not to mention the bad taste most publishers still have from any money they invested into the PSP.

I'm all for the $15 cpn + $20 pts card option. Whatever has the highest dollar value is all that matters. I have a hard limit of $30 that I will spend on a top-tier game, so a $25 coupon is not enough to enable me to buy it. But a total of $35 in discounted value allows me to not only buy a new release from Kmart, but also to apply that extra $5 in savings to another purchase down the road (for example, a lesser quality title that I'd only be willing to spend $20 on, I can now buy at a price of $25 because I'm applying the extra $5 that I underpaid for the other title).

The 3DS price drop is cool and all, but it still doesn't make me want one. I don't like 3D, and the chances that there will ever be a game made for it so awesome that I MUST play it, right now looks to be about 20% and dropping. So most likely I'll never get one, at any price.

[quote name='gamerdogbert']
The 3DS price drop is cool and all, but it still doesn't make me want one. I don't like 3D, and the chances that there will ever be a game made for it so awesome that I MUST play it, right now looks to be about 20% and dropping. So most likely I'll never get one, at any price.[/QUOTE]

The system looks pretty good in 2D. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about the 3DS, it doesn't have to be in 3D. If you don't like 3D or can't see 3D there is a slider that will minimize the effect or turn it off completely. Honestly some of the games look better in 2D anyway.

[quote name='joshrocker']The system looks pretty good in 2D. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about the 3DS, it doesn't have to be in 3D. If you don't like 3D or can't see 3D there is a slider that will minimize the effect or turn it off completely. Honestly some of the games look better in 2D anyway.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I really don't understand why people get so stuck on 3d as the reason not to get the ds. 3d is an option, but not necessary and the slider can vary the degree of 3d. Regular ds games look great in 2d. 3d is interesting, but it is the first part games I want and 2d looks great.

I haven't posted but wanted to make sure Josh, you got my vote.

I will always, always buy a new relese if it offers a gift reciept AND a ms point card. So, that is my vote. I love having like 2000 points sitting on my account so I can randomly buy dotw and other nonsense on my live. Thanks Josh. Here is to some good deals with great games coming soon!

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']I haven't posted but wanted to make sure Josh, you got my vote.

I will always, always buy a new relese if it offers a gift reciept AND a ms point card. So, that is my vote. I love having like 2000 points sitting on my account so I can randomly buy dotw and other nonsense on my live. Thanks Josh. Here is to some good deals with great games coming soon![/QUOTE]
It seems pretty clear that the choice is the combo barring a few factors. Thanks for the great feedback!

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']It seems pretty clear that the choice is the combo barring a few factors. Thanks for the great feedback![/QUOTE]
Yep it looked to be almost 2 to 1 in favor of the $15 + points card deal (at least after the first day).

Is this something that could be done on multiple games throughout the last quarter to compete with Best Buys buy 5/get $100 deal? I mean could it be done on all the same titles Best Buy is offering in their deal, or would it have to be more limited in the amount of titles you could offer a deal like that on? For reference I think BB's deal includes 16 titles.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']It seems pretty clear that the choice is the combo barring a few factors. Thanks for the great feedback![/QUOTE]
Since there's been a lot of discussion on it, penny for your thoughts on the 3DS price cut, the mobile market, and the Vita? I'd be curious as to how you guys are viewing it, since it seems Nintendo was really caught off guard by the slow sales. Their profit forecast is way down, and with the Vita no longer at price parity, things seem like they'll get pretty interesting. Any thoughts? :)

What's funny is I read an article on CNN today that said iPod sales are the lowest they have been in several years this year.

I think all the "parents buying iPod for kid instead of ds" is kinda bullshit. Apple just lumps the touch numbers in with the iPhone numbers..

Unless kids are getting iPhones with expensive data plans or ipads, lol. A $90 ds lite makes a lot more sense.

[quote name='jer7583']What's funny is I read an article on CNN today that said iPod sales are the lowest they have been in several years this year.

I think all the "parents buying iPod for kid instead of ds" is kinda bullshit. Apple just lumps the touch numbers in with the iPhone numbers..

Unless kids are getting iPhones with expensive data plans or ipads, lol. A $90 ds lite makes a lot more sense.[/QUOTE]
iPod nano, shuffle and such may be sinking like a rock sure. That's just because people dont want old tech. The touch/iphone/ipad will all do just fine though.

And look I dont know where you live or if you have kids of your own but the kids around here have the ipod touch. Obviously one neighborhood is not a majority but that's what I see. I guess when I say "kids" I mean 10-15 not kids 6-9. Those kids are more likely the ones getting a DS if anything I'd guess. I know of no kids around here that own an iphone/ipad themselves but maybe in more upper class neighborhoods that's more likely to be the case.

The DS plays games, and takes pictures...and really thats about it. Kids dont want it.

The touch does not play games comparable to the DS, but most people don't care because it's so much more than that. It still has a crapload of fun games. Not only does it have games and take pics though...it's a great mp3 player. It records video. It has apps. It has youtube. It can easily be used as a free phone. People like and want all that and sales will show it.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Since there's been a lot of discussion on it, penny for your thoughts on the 3DS price cut, the mobile market, and the Vita? I'd be curious as to how you guys are viewing it, since it seems Nintendo was really caught off guard by the slow sales. Their profit forecast is way down, and with the Vita no longer at price parity, things seem like they'll get pretty interesting. Any thoughts? :)[/QUOTE]

I think people are DS'd out. 5 incarnations of any system is overkill. I know it is different from other DS's but a lot of people who don't follow gaming like we do, don't. They should have completely redesigned it so it didn't look anything like the DS and also should have at least dropped the DS name all together to differentiate itself. Also I think the announcement of the Vita stole a lot of the 3DS's thunder. As far as the price drop goes they had to do something to increase sales not to mention to get momentum going before the Vita comes out this fall.

My $15 Child of Eden coupon expires today so I went to redeem it yesterday. No games I wanted so I tried to use it on a MS points card and it was a no go. Clerk said they were for games only and wouldn't even try it. Got work all day today so looks like I paid $50 straight up for that 3 hour game collecting dust on my shelf.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']My $15 Child of Eden coupon expires today so I went to redeem it yesterday. No games I wanted so I tried to use it on a MS points card and it was a no go. Clerk said they were for games only and wouldn't even try it. Got work all day today so looks like I paid $50 straight up for that 3 hour game collecting dust on my shelf.[/QUOTE]

That sucks; It should have worked.

It does sound like it's a regional thing, though age probably factors in as well.

The kids ages 6-12 at the school where I teach all have either the DS Lite, DSi, or DSi XL. The most popular games are New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, all Pokemon colors, and Lego Star Wars. (I have to stop anyone playing a game rated T or higher.) Only once in 7 1/2 years of working there have I seen someone with a PSP, and I don't think any of them have ever referenced an iAnything as a gaming platform. Many have expressed a desire for the 3DS but need to wait for the holidays to get one.

[quote name='DPsycho']It does sound like it's a regional thing.

The kids at the school where I teach all have either the DS Lite, DSi, or DSi XL. The most popular games are New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, all Pokemon colors, and Lego Star Wars. Only once in 7 1/2 years of working there have I seen someone with a PSP, and I don't think any of them have ever referenced an iAnything as a gaming platform. Many have expressed a desire for the 3DS but need to wait for the holidays to get one.[/QUOTE]

..but angry birds is AWESOME!

Edit: I think you'll find though that with many elementary and middle schools participating in Apple sponsored iPad programs that more and more kids are going to get introduced to mobile gaming at a younger age

Quoted from Forbes:
For the quarter ending in June Apple sold 9.25 million iPads and 7.52 million iPods– roughly half of them Apple’s iPod touch, which is chiefly pitched as a gaming machine. Apple also sold 20.34 million iPhones.

I do not think that any rational individual looking at the facts can deny that a market full of iOS, Android, Win Phone 7 devices has literally destroyed the market for dedicated handheld game consoles. They will never have the sales numbers in the future that they enjoyed in the past. The fact that these devices do games and so much more for about the same price or slightly more ($205 for and 8GB iPod Touch) is a big deal. Yes, lack of physical controls...but list 1-2 other things that the dedicated consoles do better? People want to carry one device 95% of the time and that it going to be their phone or other multipurpose computing device. And as for everything being cheap crap on the App Store...wake up and take a look at the titles available. Their is a wide selection ranging from casual to hardcore RPGs, etc. Yes, some games may seem frustrating due to the lack of physical controls. It is the developers who understand the platform and use what is available that put out the best games.

One last thought...Apple can do one more thing to put the finally nail into the dedicated handhelds. And that is to release an iPod Touch with a 3g/4g cellular radio built in. With a $30/month data plan that Touch will do everything anybody needs it to do...even be a phone via any number of VoIP apps available. Perfect solution for parents to give to children/teens...low cost iPhone.

Quoted from Forbes:
For the quarter ending in June Apple sold 9.25 million iPads and 7.52 million iPods– roughly half of them Apple’s iPod touch, which is chiefly pitched as a gaming machine. Apple also sold 20.34 million iPhones.

I do not think that any rational individual looking at the facts can deny that a market full of iOS, Android, Win Phone 7 devices has literally destroyed the market for dedicated handheld game consoles. They will never have the sales numbers in the future that they enjoyed in the past. The fact that these devices do games and so much more for about the same price or slightly more ($205 for and 8GB iPod Touch) is a big deal. Yes, lack of physical controls...but list 1-2 other things that the dedicated consoles do better? People want to carry one device 95% of the time and that it going to be their phone or other multipurpose computing device. And as for everything being cheap crap on the App Store...wake up and take a look at the titles available. Their is a wide selection ranging from casual to hardcore RPGs, etc. Yes, some games may seem frustrating due to the lack of physical controls. It is the developers who understand the platform and use what is available that put out the best games.

One last thought...Apple can do one more thing to put the finally nail into the dedicated handhelds. And that is to release an iPod Touch with a 3g/4g cellular radio built in. With a $30/month data plan that Touch will do everything anybody needs it to do...even be a phone via any number of VoIP apps available. Perfect solution for parents to give to children/teens...low cost iPhone.

[quote name='KSS181920']Quoted from Forbes:

One last thought...Apple can do one more thing to put the finally nail into the dedicated handhelds. And that is to release an iPod Touch with a 3g/4g cellular radio built in. With a $30/month data plan that Touch will do everything anybody needs it to do...even be a phone via any number of VoIP apps available. Perfect solution for parents to give to children/teens...low cost iPhone.[/QUOTE]

There's no denying that the market for handheld consoles isn't the same as it once was, but consider this. A lot of families are on budgets and during the holiday season, 3DS and possibly Vita seem like more attractive options than an IPhone or IPAD. I don't know how many families that are willing to entrust shelling out for a $500 product for their child. With the price cut to 3DS and the DSi/DS Lite still floating around, I think it's safe to say that handhelds will still be viable for a little while. There is also a large dedicated crowd to Nintendo and they'll also be sticking around for whatever the big N has to offer. While Apple has taken a large chunk of the handheld market, I don't think it'll kill it completely.

^Definitely going to go for points cards on 8/7.

Kinect week starts 7/31...Child of Eden for $20 sounds good enough for me to get it on Xbox 360, unless the PS3 version is going to have something similar when it is finally released.

Looking forward for points cards deal. I am on the market for some poihs / $ cards for PS 3 and Xbox 360, so go ahead make mit sweet.

[quote name='SHC Stock Boy']Sorry we haven't updated the OP yet but I'll be listing the weekly deals on http://gamer.kmart.com/ each Friday. We've got a pretty good points card promotion going next if interested.[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing it. I might be blind. Or are you talking about the xbla live thing? No PSN love?

Or wait... have you not posted it yet? I got confused by another poster who seemed to suggest he'd read the deal, but now i think I misread him.

re: phones vs. gaming devices:

it's all coming together, obviously. people would love to have a single device. however, core gamers want dual thumbpad type controls for better gaming -- be it dual stick shooters or fps or whatever.

core gamers also want something more than what what most casual games offer. and while phones do offer some non-casual gaming experiences, that's what their primary genre is (be it tower defense, tossing birds, cutting threads, or landing planes).

the winning device will be something like the vita with phone service. there is no reason not to have gaming controls on the device except for apple trying to look cool. vita will have both touch and controls, and i can't wait. now if it only had phone service...

[quote name='affa']I'm not seeing it. I might be blind. Or are you talking about the xbla live thing? No PSN love?

Or wait... have you not posted it yet? I got confused by another poster who seemed to suggest he'd read the deal, but now i think I misread him.[/QUOTE]

You have to click on the "Read More" link in red at the bottom to see the XBL and MSP deals.

[quote name='affa']re: phones vs. gaming devices:

it's all coming together, obviously. people would love to have a single device. however, core gamers want dual thumbpad type controls for better gaming -- be it dual stick shooters or fps or whatever.

core gamers also want something more than what what most casual games offer. and while phones do offer some non-casual gaming experiences, that's what their primary genre is (be it tower defense, tossing birds, cutting threads, or landing planes).

the winning device will be something like the vita with phone service. there is no reason not to have gaming controls on the device except for apple trying to look cool. vita will have both touch and controls, and i can't wait. now if it only had phone service...[/QUOTE]

Always on, connected devices...that is the future. Everybody seems to complain about having to pay for 3g/4g cellular data. I view it differently. I don't want to pay for voice and text msg anymore. It is all data anyways. The telecom companies see it coming. That is why they are all shifting to tiered data plans. They know they are about to lose thier hold on ridiculously over priced voice and text plans. Right now with smart phones, they make you have voice and text. It isn't possible to put a smart phone on thier networks and have just data unless you are legally deaf. Things are starting to change though and Apple is forging the way. The got the telecom companies to agree to put the iPad on thier networks with a data only plan. Amoung all of the things the iPad can do, it can also be used as a VoIP phone with the right app. The 3g Vita could do the same thing as long as a VoIP application is made for it. Also, as I mentioned before, rumor has it that there may be 3g enabled iPod Touch coming out this fall. Convergence is the future. All of these systems, phones, game consoles, mp3 players, PCs, etc are coming together. This is the big disadvantage of the 3DS or any other unconnected device at this stage of the game. These devices are lacking some key components to make them a "1 device that can do everything" machine. For around the same amount of money the "convergence" devices are far more appealling.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Definitely going to go for points cards on 8/7.

Kinect week starts 7/31...Child of Eden for $20 sounds good enough for me to get it on Xbox 360, unless the PS3 version is going to have something similar when it is finally released.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure eden is 30 at kmart?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/29/technology/apple_ipod_sales/index.htm

Ipod (that includes touch) sales are the lowest they've been since 2005.
I guess if you're rich you're buying your kids an iphone and ipod touch and ipad.

A $90 DS Lite makes a lot more sense for the average family though. If we're going by anecdotal evidence two of my sisters in law just bought two DS's per family in the last few months.

the vast majority of families aren't going to buy an ipod or 3ds or vita. They're going to go for the cheaper, older alternative, especially for younger kids age 12 and under. Or they're letting their kids play their iphone occassionally or giving them hand-me-down old devices.

The other big difference is that eventually 3DS and Vita will be at that $100-$150 affordable price - the current Ipod touch will never drop in price because they just announce a newer, better one for $200-$400 and block people out of updates on the old models so that they're forced to update if they want new software.

I just can't understand why so many people have such a hard on for overpriced apple products. This is all just "sales" type arguements. If we're arguing quality 99% of the shit on the app store doesn't deserve to be even discussed. It's a wasteland of crap and copywright infringement and absolute trash. If we're talking about what platforms are lacking, the ios devices are severely lacking quality content.

If that's the future of gaming, apple fanboys can have it. I'll stick with playing old games. And all the people who get suckered into paying $500 for an ipad that can't do half of what a $500 laptop can do and has zero storage are funny to me. People are suckers for clever advertising and things that look "cool" though I guess.

basically i'm saying people are stupid and I think that if those stupid people who traditionally demanded all those shitty licensed titles and dance games and minigames on our consoles and handhelds go away and play that crap on their phones, maybe that's a good thing for the rest of us?

[quote name='jer7583']http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/29/technology/apple_ipod_sales/index.htm

I guess if you're rich you're buying your kids an iphone and ipod touch and ipad.

A $90 DS Lite makes a lot more sense for the average family though. If we're going by anecdotal evidence two of my sisters in law just bought two DS's per family in the last few months.

the vast majority of families aren't going to buy an ipod or 3ds or vita. They're going to go for the cheaper, older alternative, especially for younger kids age 12 and under. Or they're letting their kids play their iphone occassionally or giving them hand-me-down old devices.

The other big difference is that eventually 3DS and Vita will be at that $100-$150 affordable price - the current Ipod touch will never drop in price because they just announce a newer, better one for $200-$400 and block people out of updates on the old models so that they're forced to update if they want new software.

I just can't understand why so many people have such a hard on for overpriced apple products. This is all just "sales" type arguements. If we're arguing quality 99% of the shit on the app store doesn't deserve to be even discussed. It's a wasteland of crap and copywright infringement and absolute trash. If we're talking about what platforms are lacking, the ios devices are severely lacking quality content.

If that's the future of gaming, apple fanboys can have it. I'll stick with playing old games. And all the people who get suckered into paying $500 for an ipad that can't do half of what a $500 laptop can do and has zero storage are funny to me. People are suckers for clever advertising and things that look "cool" though I guess.

basically i'm saying people are stupid and I think that if those stupid people who traditionally demanded all those shitty licensed titles and dance games and minigames on our consoles and handhelds go away and play that crap on their phones, maybe that's a good thing for the rest of us?[/QUOTE]
Sales are lower probably because of the iPad and other similar devices.

If I came off as an Apple fanboy I should have been more clear. Everything Apple could burn in a fire and be forgotten tomorrow for all I care. The point is the features and the tech. itouch and devices like it do what 3DS doesn't plain and simple. iPod touch just happens to be the device I know anything about so I use it generally to mean any do it all device.

And ok even if 99% of the apps/games are complete garbage that 1% is a big part of the future. And that 1% is still a thousand times what the 3DS currently offers. Nintendo (and Sony) had better compete or they may as well just get out of that market because the strictly gaming handheld market is shrinking by the day

I have to agree with Affa. While phones and the like have been battling to become all-in-one items, there isn't a single one that was designed with gaming as its primary purpose. The N-Gage doesn't count because, like current devices, it was primarily a phone with gaming shoehorned in. They simply don't offer a control system that compares to what dedicated devices have. Until quality control sticks and a comfortable button layout become standard to mobile device design, people looking for gaming as their primary purpose won't replace their Nintendo and Sony handhelds entirely.

As other people have been suggesting, the average parents shopping for their kids aren't going to buy an expensive all-in-one for them as a toy. Many don't want their kids having a phone at all until they're older. I also don't see iPods being marketed to them for this purpose the way the DS is, at least not until the Angry Birds cartoon takes its shot at dethroning Pokemon.

As for me, I don't want my gaming device to also be my cellphone. I recognize that I'm in the minority here, but there you have it. I'm also not too keen on building a library without physical media involved, Steam (and its not being exclusive to a single device) excepted.

[quote name='DPsycho']As for me, I don't want my gaming device to also be my cellphone. I recognize that I'm in the minority here, but there you have it. I'm also not too keen on building a library without physical media involved, Steam (and its not being exclusive to a single device) excepted.[/QUOTE]

I never answer my phone anyway, lol. But I can see wanting a separate device, though, perhaps, if done right it would work. I could easily see someone with a headset gaming while talking to a friend in the background. As long as you don't need to quit out of the game, and can pause it instantly (like the PSP does so brilliantly, I never actually turn my PSP off) I'd be okay with it being a dual device.

As for digital -- PSN again does it well. Any account can be on multiple devices (5 ps3 + 5 psps, for 10 devices total) and can be unregistered at any time. My guess is that Vita and the PS4 will both continue to use PSN, so you'll be able to easily unregister your PS3 (if necessary) and register your PS4, and download and play all your bought PS3 PSN games. Same with Vita re: PSP games.

I have no problem with that -- in fact, I look forward to it. I much prefer having a pile of digital releases on my PSP over UMD -- I have a stack of UMDS i never play because I don't bother toting them around. I do tote around two 8 gig mem chips with tons of awesome games, though.

[quote name='MasterYensid']You have to click on the "Read More" link in red at the bottom to see the XBL and MSP deals.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but the read more is just about XBLA live subscription cards. Stockboy said 'points' cards -- which to me means deals on $20 and $50 psn cards, as well as XBLA points cards. So I don't know if he just didn't post these PSN points cards deals yet, or if he's calling Live subscription cards 'points' cards.

[quote name='affa']Yea, but the read more is just about XBLA live subscription cards. Stockboy said 'points' cards -- which to me means deals on $20 and $50 psn cards, as well as XBLA points cards. So I don't know if he just didn't post these PSN points cards deals yet, or if he's calling Live subscription cards 'points' cards.[/QUOTE]

Why would PSN cards be considered points cards? You're not buying points with PSN cards.

The Live subscription deal is the point card deal, as far as I can tell, since you get the discounts if purchased with point cards. It does seem to be exclusively an XBox deal.

SHC-Gamer,

I had an issue with a game I purchased from Sears(game was missing) and I already tried resolving it through a local store. They denied the return(and the manager named Nick who came over to deny it was rude) and said I would have to go to the store I originally purchased it at.

However, that store is over an hour away and I don't know if I'm headed back in that same direction again for work next week.

I've forwarded you a copy of my digital receipt from the purchase(since I don't have a scanner to scan in the original paper receipt) as well as sent off an email detailing the situation.

I can't believe I didn't notice the sliced shrinkwrap until I got all the way back home.:bomb:

[quote name='Miro']There's no denying that the market for handheld consoles isn't the same as it once was, but consider this. A lot of families are on budgets and during the holiday season, 3DS and possibly Vita seem like more attractive options than an IPhone or IPAD. I don't know how many families that are willing to entrust shelling out for a $500 product for their child. With the price cut to 3DS and the DSi/DS Lite still floating around, I think it's safe to say that handhelds will still be viable for a little while. There is also a large dedicated crowd to Nintendo and they'll also be sticking around for whatever the big N has to offer. While Apple has taken a large chunk of the handheld market, I don't think it'll kill it completely.[/QUOTE]

While I can understand what you're saying (that a parent would likely rather spend $200 on a dedicated portable console for their children instead of $500 for something like an iPad I just want to give some parents rationale for going in the opposite direction.

Some parents would rather spend the $500 on an iPad (which can do so much more than say a 3DS) and let their kids play on it but then they themselves use it for the multitude of different things it can be used for. Parents can use it for email, internet, netflix, etc. while it also can entertain the kids on road trips with the games or loading it with their own music or movies.

And the iPod Touch and handhelds are so similar in price I don't really see your argument there.

I'm not trying to defend iOS gaming by any means, I think the casual market has killed hardcore gaming for most of us. I am a fan of dedicated portable devices but I don't think the market exists for them anymore which is just sad.

[quote name='SHC Stock Boy']Sorry we haven't updated the OP yet but I'll be listing the weekly deals on http://gamer.kmart.com/ each Friday. We've got a pretty good points card promotion going next if interested.[/QUOTE]

I got the ad up in the OP. :)

[quote name='jer7583']http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/29/technology/apple_ipod_sales/index.htm

basically i'm saying people are stupid and I think that if those stupid people who traditionally demanded all those shitty licensed titles and dance games and minigames on our consoles and handhelds go away and play that crap on their phones, maybe that's a good thing for the rest of us?[/QUOTE]

I am not an Apple fanboy. I am a technology enthusiast in whatever form it takes. I own all of the consoles, a reasonable well equipped PC, a DS Lite, and a PSP. And I do plan on getting a 3DS someday.​

That article reinforces my assertion that people no longer desire unconnected, one feature devices such as just an MP3 player or just a handheld game console. Yes, iPod sales are down along with handheld console sales because people are migrating to consolidated, connected devices. Yes, these devices cost a bit more up front, but do so much more. Also, over the life of the device if we are just talking gaming, it is cheaper and more convenient do to the nature of the App Store, Google Market Place, etc.​

Another thing that isn’t 100% accurate is the iOS devices are not obsolete after a year. New versions of iOS continue to be supported and work on older devices for a few years. And even after a device isn’t supported by firmware updates anymore, it still continues to work. Sure, there are those games that push the hardware and require the most current model out there, but they are in the minority. Developers want to support as many models as possible because it means they have a larger audience to sell to. And besides, the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 from a couple of years ago had hardware more advanced than the 3DS currently does (sans the 3D screen of course).​

And frankly, it gets a little tiring hearing people put down the games on the App Store as utter casual crap. Yes, there is a lot of that in there, but there is an abundance of crap on consoles and handhelds too. Just for example, here is list of some of most well regarded games on the App Store: World of Goo, Words With Friends, Dead Space, The Secret of Monkey Island, Angry Birds, Game Dev Story, Cut the Rope, Infinity Blade, Plants vs. Zombies, Nova, Modern Combat, Real Racing, Chaos Rings, Aralon, Rage Mutant Bash, Osmos, Zen Bound, Galaxy on Fire, Tilt to Live, Gears, Final Fantasy I, II, and III, Death Rally, Superbothers: Sword and Sworcery EP, Dungeon Hunter 2, Eternal Legacy, Zombie Gunship, Groove Coaster, etc… These games are available with just a few taps and don’t cost $40 a piece. That is a big deal for people.​

There is room in the market for dedicated handhelds, just not a whole lot of room anymore. Nintendo screwed up big time releasing the 3DS at $250. They got too full of themselves. Between the economy being what it is and the reasons being argued here, they set it up for failure. The deep price cut stink of desperation and it is probably too little, too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back