KmartGamer 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
There are no coupon/gift card deals with any consoles. The thread title has not been updated yet.

I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views
Kmartgamer 6.0 = 7,499 replies/660,632 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a deal posted either at KmartGamer's blog, Facebook, Twitter or in this thread.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

January 8th through the 14th:

:360::ps3: Rage $34.99

:360::ps3: Madden NFL 12 $39.99

:360::ps3: NCAA Football 12 $44.99

:360::ps3: WWE 12 $44.99
*Get $10 off your next WWE purchase when you spend $30 or more on WWE merchandise. Redeemable for up to 4 weeks after coupon is printed.

:360::ps3::wii: Skylanders Starter Pack $49.99

:360: Kinect sensor $129.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

3-23 :3ds: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Games Kmart will not be carrying:
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Catherine
  • PC versions of Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim
  • Any other PC game that was also released on consoles.

Earning Coupons at Kmart:
If I buy a $59.99 game and use a $20 coupon, does that mean I won't get the "Spend $40 on games, get a $15 coupon" coupon?
Yes. As long as it's over $40 BEFORE you use a coupon, you're good.

Using Coupons at Kmart:
[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Once a coupon is used it is gone, it is not refunded. Also, if a game is purchased with a coupon promotion and then returned the coupon needs to be returned as well.

Please don't take this as I am saying you are being fraudulent, this is a general note to everyone as I know this has come up previously. We have a new fraud researcher that has started and already has tracked down people trying to exploit the system and will soon be facing action from us. Every transaction with a coupon it tied to a SYWR account.[/QUOTE]

The total BEFORE taxes must be over the value of the coupon. For example, if your coupon is for $20, you must buy at least $20 worth of gaming merchandise. (i.e. you cannot use a $20 coupon on one $19.99 game.)
You must present coupons before making payment, and redeeming points is a form of payment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Major Upcoming Jan.-March 2012 console releases: (These are all confirmed dates from publishers via press releases, but beware KMart may not carry all of these titles.)

Jan. 24- Silent Hill HD Collection

Jan. 31- FF XIII-2, Soul Calibur V, NeverDead

Feb. 7- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, The Darkness II, Fallout New Vegas UE, Jak and Daxter HD Collection (PS3 only), Inversion

Feb. 14- UFC Undisputed 3, Twisted Metal, Grand Slam Tennis 2, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii only), Binary Domain

Feb. 21- Syndicate, Asura's Wrath

Feb. 28- SSX, Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond (Wii only)

March 6- MLB The Show 12/MLB 2K12, Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, Ghost Recon, Max Payne 3, Silent Hill Downpour

March 13- Mario Party 9 (Wii only on March 11), Tales of Graces f (PS3 only), Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations

March 20- Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Ninja Gaiden 3

March 27- Tiger Woods 13, Dragon's Dogma

Last edited by a moderator:
The target story is fascinating. They managed to make it hip to shop retail department stores. I love target myself but wouldn't step foot inside a walmart unless I'm really desperate.

[quote name='GBAstar']Too bad the book was printed ten years ago... It still would make an interesting read[/QUOTE]

The reasons the author listed on why kmart failed 10 years ago still applies to this day. Nothing has changed...:lol:

Just to jump in about the P&L conversation: One of the most valuable things to a store is shelf-space. If there is a product that is not selling, it is taking away prime real estate for a product that will. One solution stores have taken is "bins" to take products off the shelf, but this clutters aisles and departments and detracts from the shelf. In order to move product, you have to clearance it at a certain point and accept loss. Discounting aggressively and sooner helps you "cut your losses".

I'm not defending $1 or $2 games that were rumored earlier (where was I when that happened?), but there are benefitial reasons for a company to do this. In running a business, there are two important factors; EBITDA (basically P&L) and cash flow. Clearance games help cash flow. If a company runs out of cash flow, it is doomed.

When you are working with tangible products that take up space and require management (facing shelves, inventory, etc), it can be an issue to hold on to old product and can be better to sell even at a loss to the purchase price.

Just my two cents...

woz -I agree. For a healthy business, that's how you would do it. Inventory is a bad thing. This is true of every business from car dealerships to supermarkets.

(And here, I'm reading between the lines of what Josh has told us in the past along with my own conjecture. But mostly my own conjecture.)

The cycle of clearance didn't work for gaming because nobody actually bought anything to begin with. Instead, they'd wait for the clearance cycle to hit and then swoop in and pick em up at $1.97/$2.97/$4.97. After all, why buy anything above $10 if you know it's gonna hit that eventually. So basically, instead of having clearance to get rid of excess inventory (even at a major loss) and having a mixture of regular priced sales and clearance sales in a checkout (I forget what the retail term for it is but basically a collective purchase), all you had were CAGS and others buying all the clearance games.

Target makes their video game clearance work because they have a very healthy mix of people who go in to buy their regular and sale prices stuff. Kmart never had that. Think about what the clearance game hunting was like back in the day. There was never anyone in electronics and the clearance games were plentiful unless another CAG got there first.

So despite inventory reduction, there was no other benefit. Something had to change.

An MSRP drop can be negotiated with publishers for other concessions. The way inventory was clearanced out does not. And again, no other benefit because the CAGS hunting the deals didn't buy anything else. (I don't want to hear "That's not true, I used to buy socks along with my clearance games." Great. Socks.) So basically you lose money on every sale.

What Josh tried to shift to was a model where people came into gaming to buy the new releases. It wasn't much in terms of margin (we know video games are paper thin) but at least it wasn't a major loss. It's better to sell 100 game at $2 profit than it is to sell 500 games at $40 loss. Obviously.

I suspect the change had less to do with thinking they could really sell the 10 stagnant copies of Viewtiful Joe at $25 than it did with curbing people of the clearance cycle mentality. A process that could not have sustained itself. The "SHC killed clearance" people are locusts. A good business needs honeybees.

The long term plan was to order good titles, give launch week deals funded by publishers, and have a steady customer base of people who knew they could count on kmart for their new gaming needs at a lower effective cost. This is beneficial for both kmart and the consumer.

Should kmart have identified all the crap like Viewtiful Joe and Madden 1996 and had a firesale to reduce crappy inventory? Maybe. But that was a major clearance expense that didn't have the cash flow numbers to justify it and probably was not approved by the higher ups because an expense like that doesn't look good on a powerpoint deck.

Is that ass backward? Yep. But that's corporate america and those are the rules Josh had to play by. But the locusts don't see that. They just see "all man, all my clearance is gone! F those guys."

Again, the above is my own speculation and not anything Josh has outright said.

Josh - Hate to hear this kind of talk in here, but I'm confident that all will end well.

Like many of us have said- you took a store that none of us were shopping in and made it a weekly stop for us. You established a working sales program that impacted the rest of the market (amazon, best buy, etc) and established a busy web portal for your product. If you improved sales and the brand as much as it feels like you have in this thread- you are gold. Hell- you have a well documented internet history of your ability to work the late hours, provide solid customer service, and promote a company culture that showed us that even if the store was awful, someone in the company would make it right.

Best of luck to you and your family, and may 2012 be better than the last.

[quote name='atlantis']Closing down stores in Toledo is a blessing. The one on Reynolds was a disaster.

The reason I only shop at Kmart is because of the deals. I have been humiliated many times as a customer and I feel belittled every time I am forced to walk into one of their stores. Not to mention spending five minutes hunting someone down in ghost aisles because the electronics department is constantly unmanned.

So do we know for sure if this is the end of coupons and other Kmart deals?[/QUOTE]

The Alexis one is soooo good. I've never had an issue there. And it's no surprise it survived the culling.

Love the deals and the help you gave me Josh, so I'll be looking forward to what you have in store or down the road either at Sears or another company. You are dropping some pretty hefty foreshadowing here.

I also want to say thanks to stockboy which I think is Mark. He has been a great help in solving some of my problems.

[quote name='htz']I also want to say thanks to stockboy which I think is Mark. He has been a great help in solving some of my problems.[/QUOTE]FYI, Stock Boy (Andrew Moench) and Mark Korich are two different people; of course, that doesn't mean they don't both deserve mountains of praise for the help they've given us. :D

I'll echo my question since it was lost among the well-wishes for Josh: Has anyone ever had success buying an Amazon or Best Buy GC at a Kmart or Sears using a Sears GC?

[quote name='nietzsche74']Is Splatterhouse still on sale?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I remember seeing a post claiming it was $9.99 (or similar price) but when I tried to buy it two weeks ago it scanned at $19.99

[quote name='Vigilante']FYI, Stock Boy (Andrew Moench) and Mark Korich are two different people; of course, that doesn't mean they don't both deserve mountains of praise for the help they've given us. :D

I'll echo my question since it was lost among the well-wishes for Josh: Has anyone ever had success buying an Amazon or Best Buy GC at a Kmart or Sears using a Sears GC?[/QUOTE]
All this time, I thought Mark was stockboy. :drool:

As for purchasing Amazon/Best Buy gift card with a Sears gift card, I assume it will work. I used Toys R US gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards and Best Buy gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards. I don't see why Sears would not be the same. But then again I never tried it myself since I didn't even knew Sears sell Best Buy/Amazon gift cards.:whistle2:k

Happy new year everyone!

I don't usually post here but I just wanted to wish Josh the very best. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, you will be successful. Thanks again for being one of the few people that actually care about Kmart and its customers. Best of luck to you always. :)

I am sad to see the end of deals for new games coming out. This should of really been a blueprint for the game industry. New games should be 40 dollars, especially when they are released half done, need to be patched, and are basically beta projects for future DLC. I will not be buying new games anymore to support this practice from other retailers. K mart had the rite idea meeting the demand of the economy and how the market has been shaping. Best Buy, Target, Wal mart need to get a clue now, but I doubt they ever will.

I hope someone from Amazon is watching this thread and snatches Josh up. Josh + Amazon= 2012 Holiday redemption.

Hopefully everything works out for you Josh. You single handedly changed the reputation of K-mart for the vast majority of us in such a quick time. Your dedication to this site is truly appreciated, thanks for all your hard work to get us these deals.

I know this really isn't the place to ask this, but are the DVDs of Don't be afraid of the dark and Contagion really going to be on sale for $7.99 on tuesday? It looks like they are judging by the online weekly ad, but if you look at the actual circular it looks like that price will only apply to Marley and Me (from the way the price is set directly on it's picture.)

And if you look at the current online prices, Marley and me is priced closest to $7.99 ($8.99), while Contagion and Don't be afraid of the dark are both priced at about $20. But I must repeat, the online circular really gives the impression that all three of them (in addition to Shark Night) will be on sale for $7.99.

For those CAGs who have been following the ongoing K-Mart games clearance, some of the previous clearance games have been marked down further. I picked up the following games on Sunday:

Dark Star One: Broken Alliance (360) - $9.99
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii) - $9.99
Excitebots with Wii Wheel (Wii) - $14.99
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits box set (DS) - $9.99
Resonance of Fate (360) - $14.99

I would have passed on the Guitar Hero On Tour box set since they had a bunch of them, but I had already purchased the other On Tour: Decades standalone game from Best Buy for $2.99 on Black Friday. Anyway, I also got lucky and purchased the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) for $49.99. Not on clearance, but a hard game to find factory sealed for a decent price. I didn’t want to leave it there because it might not have been there when I went back.

I also saw a few other deals including the Fallout 3: GOTY (360) for $19.99 and the Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades box set (DS) for $9.99. The Band Hero box sets for PS2 and PS3 were $39.99 each. I saw lots of the standalone Band Hero/Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles for $9.99 each. Unfortunately, I couldn’t carry as many of the games as I wanted back to the price scanner without drawing a lot of attention.

I should have gotten Yakuza 4 scanned because according to another thread, it's $14.99 now, but I can't personally confirm that price.

[quote name='harveyiscool']The problem is, since you are the ultimate fan boy I am referring to, is that you have switched around my entire point and still lie about it. It obviously makes sense to anyone level-headed on my point. I never became angry that SHC "couldn't wrangle deals while he was out". I was upset that, for a very large corporation, no one else could step in and fill his shoes while he was out. For god's sake, take 8 months if you must, but the entire coupon/game deals should not come to a complete halt because one person is not there.

If that is callous and deriding to someone who just lost a family member, then you are deranged. I don't know how many times I have repeated this, but you constantly twist it around to make your stand stronger and diminish mine.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me that no one else can step up and handle that after I am seeing 100-120 stores close and unlimited complaints.[/QUOTE]

No one cares about what you were whining about because the sole reasoning behind your whining was that you couldn't stock your eBay store.

[quote name='htz']The reasons the author listed on why kmart failed 10 years ago still applies to this day. Nothing has changed...:lol:[/QUOTE]

Which says a lot about K-Mart.

[quote name='htz']The reasons the author listed on why kmart failed 10 years ago still applies to this day. Nothing has changed...:lol:[/QUOTE]

Which is why K-Mart is still suffering. If you look at the last two years of this thread you can see how most of the problems almost everyone in this thread has had are reflected in that list... a list written TEN YEARS AGO.

Anyone could look at that list and see how it still affects K-Mart, and that's how you know they will never go anywhere but down as long as the same people keep running the show.

I strongly feel that Josh continuing to stay at K-Mart is a waste of his potential... I feel like the brand just holds the guy back, and he needs to work someplace where his ideas, which are extremely good, are allowed to thrive. The dude turned K-Mart around, imagine what he could do when he's not being held back.

And about the clearance prices, it is very clear those cheap prices weren't working out for K-Mart at all, and its really obvious why: they had to bring Josh in and get rid of whoever the original video game buyer was that kept dropping prices to $2.

If those clearance prices were making money and a good idea, that guy would still be working at K-Mart. Obviously, they weren't, and Josh got brought in.

[quote name='animalspinners']
Anyone could look at that list and see how it still affects K-Mart, and that's how you know they will never go anywhere but down as long as the same people keep running the show.[/quote]
THIS is why the company is in trouble, since the same morons are running the company and running it into the ground.
And about the clearance prices, it is very clear those cheap prices weren't working out for K-Mart at all, and its really obvious why: they had to bring Josh in and get rid of whoever the original video game buyer was that kept dropping prices to $2.

If those clearance prices were making money and a good idea, that guy would still be working at K-Mart. Obviously, they weren't, and Josh got brought in.
EVERY store does clearance pricing. Target frequently drops games to 75% off and sometimes at 75% off that means stuff is priced at $5.:shock: In order to get rid of old shit you have to price it cheap enough or advertise the hell out of it in order for it to move. If one option is not possible(advertising it), then you price it cheap enough and people will buy it up.

Yes. It doesn't make good business sense to drop stuff to $2, but neither does leaving stuff stagnate on the shelves for 5 years or more and take up valuable real estate that could be better used for newer products.

[quote name='josekortez']For those CAGs who have been following the ongoing K-Mart games clearance, some of the previous clearance games have been marked down further. I picked up the following games on Sunday:

Dark Star One: Broken Alliance (360) - $9.99
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii) - $9.99
Excitebots with Wii Wheel (Wii) - $14.99
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits box set (DS) - $9.99
Resonance of Fate (360) - $14.99

I would have passed on the Guitar Hero On Tour box set since they had a bunch of them, but I had already purchased the other On Tour: Decades standalone game from Best Buy for $2.99 on Black Friday. Anyway, I also got lucky and purchased the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) for $49.99. Not on clearance, but a hard game to find factory sealed for a decent price. I didn’t want to leave it there because it might not have been there when I went back.

I also saw a few other deals including the Fallout 3: GOTY (360) for $19.99 and the Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades box set (DS) for $9.99. The Band Hero box sets for PS2 and PS3 were $39.99 each. I saw lots of the standalone Band Hero/Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles for $9.99 each. Unfortunately, I couldn’t carry as many of the games as I wanted back to the price scanner without drawing a lot of attention.

I should have gotten Yakuza 4 scanned because according to another thread, it's $14.99 now, but I can't personally confirm that price.[/QUOTE]
I hate to break this to you, but Darkstar One has been $5 at a store called Five Below for a long time now. Moreover, I think $19.99 is the MSRP for FO3 GOTY. As for Yakuza 4, it's ONLY the copies that have a sticker over the original UPC on the package that ring up $14.99. They also usually have another sticker on the top of the case that says 'value games' or something similar and the price of $14.99 marked right on it.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']It's the clearance cycles in gaming that has actually led to a severe decline in support for the gaming business at Kmart.

I know you will never understand how a P&L works for a corporation or what my motivations were for being here but regardless your rudeness never ceases to surprise me.[/QUOTE]

I'm a consumer. I want deals. I'm not going to cry little crocodile tears for companies that aren't making profits.

in OP, this question is incorrectly asked/answered:

Earning Coupons at Kmart:
If I buy a $59.99 game and use a $20 coupon, does that mean I won't get the "Spend $40 on games, get a $15 coupon" coupon?
Yes. As long as it's over $40 BEFORE you use a coupon, you're good.

"won't get" should be "will get"

[quote name='spedmunki']I'm a consumer. I want deals. I'm not going to cry little crocodile tears for companies that aren't making profits.[/QUOTE]

You're ignorance personified.

[quote name='confoosious']You're ignorance personified.[/QUOTE]

I hate to say but he is right. He may be ingnorance personifide but it still doesn't make him wrong.

[quote name='Ray5555']I hate to say but he is right. He may be ingnorance personifide but it still doesn't make him wrong.[/QUOTE]

No it does not. But being ignorant is nothing to write home about.

It's just unnecessary.

[quote name='confoosious']You're ignorance personified.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people like you choose to be cheerleaders for coproations. They come and go. They don't give a fuck about people. To them we're either money or cogs in their corporate machine.

PS. Ignorance is bliss.

[quote name='spedmunki']I'm a consumer. I want deals. I'm not going to cry little crocodile tears for companies that aren't making profits.[/QUOTE]

You may not be willing to show fake sympathy for big bad evil corporate machines, but you certainly do like to cry.

[quote name='spedmunki']I don't know why people like you choose to be cheerleaders for coproations. They come and go. They don't give a fuck about people. To them we're either money or cogs in their corporate machine.

PS. Ignorance is bliss.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your bliss. I'm sure you have a wonderful life.

[quote name='spedmunki']And people said there were no Kmart fanboys....[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is I have far greater respect for Josh and how he conducts himself on this site than I ever will for people like you. If that's fanboy, so be it.

I haven't been keeping up, are Josh and the Kmart deals done for? If so that really sucks I was really looking forward this upcoming gaming season.

[quote name='spedmunki']I don't know why people like you choose to be cheerleaders for coproations. They come and go. They don't give a fuck about people. To them we're either money or cogs in their corporate machine.

Fun Fact #618: You can hold a neutral view of corporations and have no vested interest in their success or failure as a business, only wanting good deals for yourself as a consumer, without being a complete asshole about it to anyone within earshot.

1297207367-the_more_you_know2.jpg

I like how everyone that points out a moron's stupidity is a K-Mart fanboy. We're not calling you stupid because we love K-Mart. We're calling you stupid because you're stupid.

[quote name='sciafb']I'm not sure where else to ask this.. but looking back at this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310900 seeing the bit about 10% bonus points for buying $250 or more And supposed to be rewarded on jan 1st. Has anyone not seen these points? I purchased a ps3 and few other things in dec. and thats more than enough.[/QUOTE]

I got my 50k points. I don't think it was a 10% bonus as there were only two levels. You either got 25k for under $500, but more than $250, or 50k for over $500. The only caveat was that it wasn't all dec purchases. All purchases had to be made from Dec 1 to Dec 24.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I like how everyone that points out a moron's stupidity is a K-Mart fanboy. We're not calling you stupid because we love K-Mart. We're calling you stupid because you're stupid.[/QUOTE]

Wishing they still had clearance makes me stupid? Me no understand

[quote name='spedmunki']Wishing they still had clearance makes me stupid? Me no understand[/QUOTE]

Your ignorance and rudeness to ShC makes you stupid. But of course you wouldn't understand that. Because of your "bliss."

[quote name='sciafb']I'm not sure where else to ask this.. but looking back at this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310900 seeing the bit about 10% bonus points for buying $250 or more And supposed to be rewarded on jan 1st. Has anyone not seen these points? I purchased a ps3 and few other things in dec. and thats more than enough.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I got my 25k points. now just to wait for my 10k pts for the reviews :D

Sears Chief says Retail Turnaround Means Melding Tech with Store Upgrades

Something that jumped out at me:

"Sears is spending less than a quarter of the $8 a square foot that retailers typically invest to maintain stores, according to International Strategy & Investment Group. In an August report, the New York-based company put Sears and Kmart at the bottom of the list of a dozen retailers ranked by sales per square foot and operating profitability."

That was something we have probably all noticed but that was the first time I ever saw an actual dollar amount attached to it. Today for example I went into a TRU that I went into a lot as a child and with the exception of the video game section being moved within the past 8 years the store looks largely the same as it did when I was kid. They recently finished a total remodel/renovation and I must say the store looked great. Also something else I noticed was that the employees seemed to be happier and more willing to assist, note these were employees that I have noticed being there for several years. The way it seemed to me was that if corporate showed enough interest in a store to do a remodel/renovation that the employees would take pride in their store and want to keep it nice and keep customers happy.

I know from working in retail, occasionally I would even say to myself, "The store looks like shit anyways why should I work harder than I have to so it will look better."

[quote name='TheHelix']So...anyone else waiting for gift cards for October purchases?[/QUOTE]

I contacted Mark about the MW3/4000MSP promo and how I went to several stores with no cards. He said to just send him receipt info when I do get them and that I'd get a GC for each card (I bought two MW3 copies on 360). I was able to buy two msp cards after Christmas while I was away and sent an email when I got back so have been waiting almost a week for a reply.

Saw my 50k bonus points today. Spent them all immediately because I have no self control.
Got batteries for my trip to MAGFest, a 3DS card and a movie for the wife (Cowboys and Aliens.. Meh. Not sure what she enjoyed about it, but if it makes her happy...)

Beyond self-control issues, it's probably not a bad idea to spend the points quickly if there's something you need/want. Who knows if the points will be altered or canceled in any way.

Well the bonus points are only good until the end of the month anyways, if I recall correctly.
But yeah, hole in pocket. Burning. Had to go. :D

Not impressed by K-Mart at all so no surprise to see them going down in flames. Seriously, this retailer should have died a long time ago - only reason they didn't was because Sears, for some reason, merged with them.

Unless there is drastic change, K-Mart/Sears should be dead in the next 2-3 years.

He's a tool. Just look at his posting history. Not much else too it quite frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back