Kroger Bargain Bin HD-DVDs

Jeremy O'Brien

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster here. I searched and I didn't see this anywhere yet so I thought I'd try and give something back to the community that has saved me so much money.

For whatever reason, Kroger is currently carrying HD DVDs in their bargain bins for 4-8 dollars a pop. I can't remember all of them but the ones I can are as follows:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
Army of Darkness
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup
Children Of Men
Dazed and Confused
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fearlesss
The Good Shepard
Half Baked
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Kingdom
Miami Vice
Slither
Smokin Aces
Unleashed
You, Me, and Dupree

I'm sure there were more, this is just from memory. If I can remember more, I'll post them. I went to two on the east side of Cincinnati, btw.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']My Smith's(owned by Kroger) out here in Vegas has them too, I picked up Fast and the Furious it was 5.99.[/quote]

Thanks for the notice! I was wondering about this. I might pick up a couple of i go to Smiths now.

[quote name='Mjolnir']I just got back from a Kroger in Kentucky and they had these HD-DVDs. One thing I've not seen mentioned is that ALL of the available movies are Combo format discs, so they can be played on a standard DVD player as well. I took some photos so I could compile a complete list. I didn't get pricing on all of them, but this is a complete list of everything that was available in my store:

Alpha Dog - $5.99
An American Werewolf in London - $3.99
Army of Darkness - $6.99
Atonement
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Break-Up - $5.99
Breakfast Club - $3.99
Brokeback Mountain - $5.99
Children of Men - $5.99
Dazed and Confused - $3.99
Eastern Promises - $5.99
Elizabeth: Golden Age - $7.99
Evan Almighty - $6.99
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
George Romero's Land of the Dead - $7.99
The Good Shepherd
Half Baked: Fully Baked Edition - $3.99
The Hitcher - $3.99
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz - $5.99
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Jet Li's Fearless - $5.99
The Kingdom - $5.99
Miami Vice
Mr. Bean's Holiday
National Lampoon's Animal House - $3.99
The Scorpion King - $3.99
Slither - $5.99
Smokin' Aces
Talk to Me
Unleashed - $4.99
Waist Deep
You, Me and Dupree

Most movies were $5.99, with the high being $7.99 and t he low $3.99. My store did not have Accepted, which is a shame because I wanted to pick that one up.

Edit - Added Brokeback Mountain and pricing on Scorpion King.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind if I ask which store in Lexington you went to? I'd like to pick a few of these up. Thanks.

A quick note for everyone. Try not to harass the employees too much. They're not in charge of the shippers. A vendor comes to each store and puts them out. It might be a week or so before they get all of the stores so be patient.

Was successful last night in one Midlo., VA Kroger while another store has yet to get any HDDVDs in-store.
Picked up:
The Hitcher
An Amer. WW in London
The Bkfst Club
Half-Baked
Animal House
Hot Fuzz
Army of Darkness

I wish I had seen "The Break Up". I would have loved to pick that one up for my wife.

Saw some of these at the Ralph's supermarket in Fullerton also, specifically Hot Fuzz, Mr Bean, Fearless, Breach, Balls of Fury, The Kingdom, and Elizabeth.

[quote name='Trocar']Saw some of these at the Ralph's supermarket in Fullerton also, specifically Hot Fuzz, Mr Bean, Fearless, Breach, Balls of Fury, The Kingdom, and Elizabeth.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap! I was hoping they'd have it since I thought I remembered that Kroger owns Ralphs now.

[quote name='Trocar']Saw some of these at the Ralph's supermarket in Fullerton also, specifically Hot Fuzz, Mr Bean, Fearless, Breach, Balls of Fury, The Kingdom, and Elizabeth.[/quote]

Holly Crap! I have to go take a road trip to a couple of Ralph's. Thanks.:D

I checked two Ralph's in Anaheim, CA one big, one small(just on the off-chance) and no luck at either :( I'll have to go check that Fullerton Ralphs. What street was that on?

A quick update on the Lexington, KY area Kroger locations.

New Circle and Bryan Station Rd. - No HD-DVDs
New Circle and Old Paris Pike - No HD-DVDs
Georgetown, KY - HAS HD-DVDs
Leestown Rd. near New Circle - HAS HD-DVDs (see my list above compiled at this store)
Beaumont Circle (off Harrodsburg Rd.) - HAS HD-DVDs
Alexandria Dr. - HAS HD-DVDS, listed below:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
Balls of Fury
Breach (3 copies)
The Break-up
Children of Men (2 copies)
Eastern Promises (3 copies)
Elizabeth: Golden Age
Evan Almighty (2 copies)
Hollywoodland (2 copies)
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (3 copies)
Jet Lee's Fearless
Miami Vice
Mr. Bean's Holiday (4 copies)
Slither
Talk to Me
Unleashed

Except where noted, they only had one copy of each. Some of those are common elsewhere (Balls of Fury) but others are pretty hard to find so far around Lexington (The Break-Up) and so far this is the only place I've seen Accepted in Lexington (I bought one copy, one is still there).

Also, Jughead, it was nice meeting you. Sorry I didn't notice the PM you sent, but good luck finding the movies you want. Hopefully everything you needed was still at the Leestown Rd. store.

Nothing in Grand Blanc, MI but a bunch of books in Cardboard Tables! Hopefully they are behind stocking Michgan...

No sign of a any blowout bins or HD-DVDs at the Kroger at Winchester and Hacks Cross in Memphis, TN. We have several within driving distance, tho, so I plan to hit up some more before classes resume next week.

I was lucky enough to find most of the titles this afternoon in nashville, tennessee (but of course not all of them - especially a few that I really wanted!)... this store did not have them thursday afternoon but did today so apparently some stores are still receiving & setting up their displays!

I'll check the Kroger in Radford, VA and Pulaski, VA when I get back to college. Hopefully they'll still be there, but I'm not counting on it. Do you think they'll keep them out until they sell out of them, or will they just put them back to regular prices?

Thanks Op!
Lots of titles.
Picked up-
Atonement $7.99
Elizabeth $7.99
Breach $5.99
Eastern Promises $5.99
Half Baked $3.99

Might go back for more, if so, I will take the longest list and see if more titles.
Please note Atonement ...

Sorry, don't remember the exact street since I was only visiting a friend in the area, but it's the one that's very close to Fullerton (community) College. Hope that helps.

[quote name='smashingradioheads']I checked two Ralph's in Anaheim, CA one big, one small(just on the off-chance) and no luck at either :( I'll have to go check that Fullerton Ralphs. What street was that on?[/QUOTE]

Midlo., VA:
Returned to a Kroger I had previously tried that did not have the HDDVDs the first go around. They had them yesterday, however they were not in a "BLOWOUT" bin as in the other Kroger. The HDDVDs were on a small endcap facing the main aisle in the DVD/magazine section of the store.

found a kroger in hyde park plaza in cincinnati that had 9 different movies. i bought 4 hd-dvds and left 5 there

Children of Men
Eastern Promises
Hollywoodland
Slither

they also had

Balls of Fury
Breach
Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Miami Vice
Mr. Bean's Holiday

Kroger in Greenwood, IN (Worthsville Road) had quite a few of the listed titles.

Picked up

Fearless
Unleashed
Accepted
Smokin Aces
Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift
Balls of Fury
The Good Shepherd
Eastern Promises
Alpha Dog

Kroger in Ann Arbor, MI at Jackson and Maple has almost all the HD-DVDs that have been listed here (no Good Shepherd, I don't think).

I checked the 2 Ralphs and a Food 4 Less around my area and only found 3 titles. They were Mr. Bean, Talk to Me and Slither. Did not pick up Slither, since i don't enjoy horror movies.

Kroger in barboursville, WV has a ton of these with multiples of every title listed. Picked up:
Slither
Breach
Fearless
I now pronounce you chuck & larry
elizabeth

The Kroger in Commerce, Michigan had the bin. Last week I noticed it shopping but didn't stop. After reading this thread I made my way there this weekend. They had moved the bin (to the front of the store near the self checkout) but there were HD-DVD's in there.

I picked up Children of Men, Balls of Fury, Miami Vice, Eastern Promises, The Kingdom and Land of the Dead. All of the above were $5.99 aside from Land of the Dead which was $7.99. I would have passed on Land of the Dead at $8 if I noticed it earlier. I passed on Army of Darkness at $8, while I love the movie I have the DVD and the picture quality isn't A++ to begin with.

I noticed, from memory: Atonement, Breach, Fast and the Furious 2... quite a few others.

There was also a Boomtown Season 1 set (looked like 4+ disc set, standard DVD tho) for $7.99.

i think im going to hit the kroger on my way home from work tonight...i really just want half baked out fo what im seeing people finding.

I compiled a list of what movies have been found and for what price:

Accepted $5.99
Alpha Dog $5.99
An American Werewolf in London $3.99
Animal House $3.99
Army of Darkness $6.99
Atonement $7.99
Balls of Fury $5.99
Breach $5.99
The Break-up $5.99
Breakfast Club $3.99
Brokeback Mountain $5.99
Children of Men $5.99
Dazed & Confused $3.99
Eastern Promises $5.99
Elizabeth: Golden Age $7.99
Evan Almighty $6.99
Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift $5.99
Good Shepherd, The $5.99
Half Baked $3.99
Hitcher, The $3.99
Hollywoodland $5.99
Hot Fuzz $5.99
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry $7.99
Jet Li's Fearless $5.99
Kingdom, The $5.99
Land of The Dead $7.99
Miami Vice $5.99
Mr. Bean's Holiday $5.99
Scorpion King, The $3.99
Slither $5.99
Smokin Aces $5.99
Talk to Me $5.99
Unleashed $4.99
Waist Deep $5.99
You, Me & Dupree $5.99

I'm going on a road trip this weekend. I know I'll pass by at least one Kroger :D I'll add the prices to the ones without when they are mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
the mud lane kroger has a big bin back by the sodas. with a descent mix.

I was able to get half baked as i had hoped...thanks op

i hate that these are all in different places. everyone on here says they're somewhere different and so i have to scavenge the whole store and STILL find nothing. ugh.

the bin was really hard to miss once i found it...it looks like it has to be moved with a forklift or one of those palate movers. I'm guessing the stores put it wherever they can

I would've probably bought more had my conscience not been in the store with me...my wife has been really helping my impulse-buying lately. I went in planning to get half baked and that's what i left with heh.

I found a lot of the titles in Harris Teeter stores as well. I know they are in NC & SC at least. Picked up:

You Me & Dupree
Dazed & Confused
The Break-Up
An American Werewolf In London
Half Baked
Children Of Men
Hot Fuzz
Slither

Thanks again OP!!! :D

Not from Ohio, but I stopped at some Krogers and managed to find almost all the ones I wanted:

Accepted
Smokin' Aces
Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Eastern Promises
Children of Men
Hot Fuzz

If anyone gets an extra copy of Dazed and Confused or Army of Darkness, I'll pay the cost plus ship.

[quote name='benjam138']I compiled a list of what movies have been found and for what price:

Accepted $5.99
Alpha Dog $5.99
An American Werewolf in London $3.99
Animal House $3.99
Army of Darkness $6.99
Atonement $7.99
Balls of Fury $5.99
Breach $5.99
The Break-up $5.99
Breakfast Club $3.99
Brokeback Mountain $5.99
Children of Men $5.99
Dazed & Confused $3.99
Eastern Promises $5.99
Elizabeth: Golden Age $7.99
Evan Almighty $6.99
Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift $5.99
Good Shepherd, The
Half Baked $3.99
Hitcher, The $3.99
Hollywoodland $5.99
Hot Fuzz $5.99
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry $7.99
Jet Li's Fearless $5.99
Kingdom, The $5.99
Land of The Dead $7.99
Miami Vice $5.99
Mr. Bean's Holiday
Scorpion King, The $3.99
Slither $5.99
Smokin Aces
Talk to Me
Unleashed $4.99
Waist Deep
You, Me & Dupree $5.99

I'm going on a road trip this weekend. I know I'll pass by at least one Kroger :D I'll add the prices to the ones without when they are mentioned.[/quote]

Found all those titles except the ones in bold at my local HT. No Krogers near me.

Krogers =

Ralphs
Dillons
Smiths
frys
QFC
Baker's
Owens
JayC
Hilander
Gerbes
Pay Less
Scott's
Fred Meyer
King Soopers/City Market

just a heads up, my brother picked up a pair of Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (one for him, one for me) and his didn't work. He tried mine out when i stopped by after work to pick it up and mine works fine...looks like there was a flaw in the pressing of his disc.

just a heads up about that movie

Two of the Kroger's in Macon, Ga had the displays set up. The one on Hartley Bridge Road had a few titles, and the one in the Best Buy shopping center off Eisenhower Pkwy. had a pretty decent selection.

Also, I don't know if this is true anywhere else, but at these stores, the HD discs were in a display mixed with a bunch of regular DVDs, and if I hadn't moved a bunch of the regular DVDs, I probably wouldn't have seen the HD-DVDs.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']The Fry's in Gilbert, AZ (Gilbert & Baseline) had pretty much everyone listed.

I picked up Hot Fuzz, Slither and Unleashed.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I'm so glad Fry's is getting in the game too. I checked one, but no luck at the Power and Baseline location. I'm going to check this out.

bread's done
Back