Kroger Bargain Bin HD-DVDs

Jeremy O'Brien

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster here. I searched and I didn't see this anywhere yet so I thought I'd try and give something back to the community that has saved me so much money.

For whatever reason, Kroger is currently carrying HD DVDs in their bargain bins for 4-8 dollars a pop. I can't remember all of them but the ones I can are as follows:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
Army of Darkness
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup
Children Of Men
Dazed and Confused
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fearlesss
The Good Shepard
Half Baked
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Kingdom
Miami Vice
Slither
Smokin Aces
Unleashed
You, Me, and Dupree

I'm sure there were more, this is just from memory. If I can remember more, I'll post them. I went to two on the east side of Cincinnati, btw.

Went to kroger in Monroe, OH. They had a bunch. Took a pic http://twitpic.com/178ws The pic shows one or two of each, but there were many more of each. Except for The Kingdom I got the only one.

I got

Army of Darkness
Alpha Dog
Children of Men
The Kingdom
Smokin' Aces

I did not see any at my Kroger...although, maybe I just missed them. This was at the Harrison Twp. MI store....they had a bin of books, that was all I saw.

Being more of a Gamer Bargain Hunter, I was bridged over to the HD DVD clearance frenzy about a year ago through the 360 player. Since then, I've gathered about 60+ movies of the stuff I want. I'd get a random movie here and there on Craigslist, but now I stumble into this thread after ignoring it for too long. Kroger? Really? I've got 2 within five miles of me. Cheap HD DVD's...stop calling me.

The bin in the Ann Arbor Krogers is pretty picked over (it's been more than two weeks since I first saw it, after all); has anyone noticed a restock at any location, or was this a single push that will not be refreshed?

Finally found these in my area! The Olive Branch kroger (the one just off the interstate) has the HD DVDs on a shelf above the DVD display near the Pharmacy.

They were pretty picked clean once I was done, but I estimate they had about 20 HD DVDs left total. May be worth another look in a week or so...

I managed to grab for $5.99 each:
Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift
Slither
Hot Fuzz
The Kingdom
Hollywoodland

Thanks for the heads up!

Monroe, MI store finally got em, but someone somehow beat me to em, so all that was left for me to grab was Slither, or a million copies of Elizabeth.

King Soopers in Denver has marked all the DVD's and HD-DVD's in there bargain bin at 50% off. I picked up a few HD-DVD titles ....
Alpha Dog HD-DVD $3.00
Unleashed HD-DVD $2.50
Evan Almighty HD-DVD $3.50
Balls of Fury HD-DVD $3.00
Fearless HD-DVD $3.00
Animal House HD-DVD $2.00
Evening HD-DVD $3.50
Talk To Me HD-DVD $2.50
You,Me and Dupree HD-DVD $3.00
Brokeback Mountain $3.50

They had a few of each of those movies left, but there was a lot of people going through them.

[quote name='unjust']King Soopers in Denver has marked all the DVD's and HD-DVD's in there bargain bin at 50% off. I picked up a few HD-DVD titles ....
Alpha Dog HD-DVD $3.00
Unleashed HD-DVD $2.50
Evan Almighty HD-DVD $3.50
Balls of Fury HD-DVD $3.00
Fearless HD-DVD $3.00
Animal House HD-DVD $2.00
Evening HD-DVD $3.50
Talk To Me HD-DVD $2.50
You,Me and Dupree HD-DVD $3.00
Brokeback Mountain $3.50

They had a few of each of those movies left, but there was a lot of people going through them.[/quote]

Awesome! Which Soopers did you hit? Guess I'll try hittin' a few tomorrow.

I asked the person at the service desk and she said it should be in effect for all King Soopers stores. I actually got mine at the Littleton Blvd. and Broadway store.

First thing tomorrow I'll make a trip, probably hit up a couple on the West side around Lakewood. This is pretty cool, probably won't hesitate picking anything up. Again thanks for the tip unjust (have you been checking the bins regularly or just stumble upon them while shopping?).

I check them every time I go to the store to shop. Just got lucky when I walked by because they were putting up the sign. :D

Hit the store on Wadsworth and Alameda and picked up several HD DVDs.

picked up:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
Dead Silence
Eastern Promises
Evan Almighty
Fearless
the Good Shepherd
Miami Vice
You, Me and Dupree

couldn't find:
Animal House
or
the Hitcher
and I left Unleashed at the store, luckily I didn't pay for it.

I picked up a few titles at a couple of local Krogers stores for 50% off the marked price. One thing to note is that the 50% discount only showed up after using the Krogers Plus Card.

[quote name='Detective Thorn']I picked up a few titles at a couple of local Krogers stores for 50% off the marked price. One thing to note is that the 50% discount only showed up after using the Krogers Plus Card.[/quote]

Yeah I forgot my wife's card so I had to sign up for one of my own. I also found out that if you misplace your card you can type in you're phone number on the key pad before you begin the sale. This will take place of you're card and give you the additional discounts.

Not necessarily need to know info, but it would've saved me some time since I didn't have my wife's card handy.

Just picked up....

Eastern Promises HD-DVD $3.00
Breach HD-DVD $3.00
Children of Men HD-DVD $3.00
Madison Standard DVD $2.00

All were 50% off their marked prices.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I am looking for the Dazed and Confused HD-DVD (prefer the combo format) from these bins. I would gladly trade a HD-DVD in my collection for it or pay shipping . .etc. Especially while these are 1/2 price
My HD-DVDs Here:.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5472580&postcount=384
[/quote]

I have dazed and confused (new sealed) and I'm interested in your "Darkman" and "feast" hd dvd.

I also have a bunch of HD DVD's and Blu Ray's I am selling (or possibly trading depending on the titles)

I'm local (Atlanta, downtown) I don't know how to contact you.

If any of you live near a Fry,s Marketplace you may want to check there as well. Picked up Atonement for $5.99 and Eastern Promises and Talk to Me for $4.99 each on HD-DVD, they had several other title, but those 3 were the only ones I did not already have.

Hit up another store today while running errands.

Picked up:
Brokeback Mountain
The Hitcher
and
Unleashed

I still can't find:
Animal House

Also if anyone can recommend Mr. Bean's Holiday I may just pick that up.

Found a pile of these at my local Smith's Food King, but not the ones I was looking for..

Animal House
Army of Darkness
Breach
The Breakfast Club
Evan Almighty

These are what, $3-$4 each at the most? If someone finds any of these (especially Army Of Darkness), happy to pay actual shipping + cost.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Found a pile of these at my local Smith's Food King, but not the ones I was looking for..

Animal House
Army of Darkness
Breach
The Breakfast Club
Evan Almighty

These are what, $3-$4 each at the most? If someone finds any of these (especially Army Of Darkness), happy to pay actual shipping + cost.[/quote]

If you picked up Animal House and The Breakfast Club you could probably easily sell and trade them to someone with a copy of AoD. (HINT)

[quote name='PhotoMan']Were the bins marked 50% off? My local Kroger's is not.[/QUOTE]

Yes....they are in a bin with other standard dvds. :)

[quote name='jaysapathy']Found a pile of these at my local Smith's Food King, but not the ones I was looking for..

Animal House
Army of Darkness
Breach
The Breakfast Club
Evan Almighty

These are what, $3-$4 each at the most? If someone finds any of these (especially Army Of Darkness), happy to pay actual shipping + cost.[/quote]

For a time I really wanted to pick up Army of Darkness on HD-DVD, then I read the reviews. Even the most barebones version of AoD on DVD almost has more features that the HD-DVD version. I'm a huge fan of AoD, but I just can't bring myself to pick it up. I just don't think it does it justice.

here's the review:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/161/armyofdarkness.html

I'm an AOD collector, because Embeth Daviditz is a friend of the family. It makes for fun viewing when she comes to visit. I did manage to find Unleashed/Danny The Dog, but still no luck on the ones above. There's a bunch of copies of Chuck & Larry and Slither though, so if someone wants to swap for one of those.. :D

I would also like to point out that at my Smiths, it's only 50% off with your Fresh Values Card. Otherwise, these ring up as sticker price.

Has anyone in Indianapolis seen any of these displays? I've checked 5 stores and only the store on US 36 between Avon and Indianapolis has a display of HD-DVDs for sale.

[quote name='Indiana']Has anyone in Indianapolis seen any of these displays? I've checked 5 stores and only the store on US 36 between Avon and Indianapolis has a display of HD-DVDs for sale.[/quote]

See entry #148 on page 8 of this post

I went to my local Kroger last night. Their bin was not marked 50% off. However, I used my Kroger Shopping Card on one of the HD DVDs and it did ring up at 50% off.

Damn....I was just there today, but I didn't realize they were 50% off! I may have to go back.

They had:
-Accepted
-Slither
-Balls of Fury
-Children of Men
- Elizabeth
-Unleashed
-Fast Furious Tokyo Drift
and a few others....I wanted Dazed & Confused, but it was gone. My wife saw it yesterday, but didn't get it as she thought I didn't want HD-DVD anymore.

RAWR

Finally found Army Of Darkness and Breach. Also picked up Atonement and Alpha Dog. Life is good.. Now if I could just find Fast Times!

[quote name='Detective Thorn']I picked up a few titles at a couple of local Krogers stores for 50% off the marked price. One thing to note is that the 50% discount only showed up after using the Krogers Plus Card.[/quote]

Dammit, they're 50% off now!?:bomb:
...Making me spend what little money I have....
I can't think of anything else that I want...unless it's "Royal Space Force":bouncy:, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Just FYI, at Ralph's in Granada Hills (CA), the movies are 75% off **with your Club card** through 2/17! They were apparently picked over (no movies obviously out) but the last time I was there, a LOT had fallen between the cracks in the cardboard. I didn't feel like digging before, but today, being a shameless CAG I pulled up the panel (at the bottom) and dug out about 10 HDDVDs and picked up 7 of them (and wish I had thought to chuck a few under the box!):

Mr. Bean's Holiday - $1.50
Elizabeth: TGA - $2
Balls of Fury - $2 (disc was a floater but doesn't look toooooo scratched up, keeping my fingers crossed-- the only other one they had sounded to be a floater too)
Jet Li's Fearless - $1.50
You Me & Dupree - $1.50
Alpha Dog - $1.50
Chuck & Larry - $2

7 HDDVDs for under $14 out the door was too good to pass up, despite the fact I really didn't need all of them. Standards get pretty low at

On highdefdigest, someone said their store in Simi Valley also had 75% off. Not sure if it's chain-wide or not, though. There was a sticker promoting it on the sign in the box, but it listed UPC codes and the DVD UPCs were NOT among the ones listed. They still came up at 75% off though.

[quote name='Justin42']On highdefdigest, someone said their store in Simi Valley also had 75% off. Not sure if it's chain-wide or not, though. There was a sticker promoting it on the sign in the box, but it listed UPC codes and the DVD UPCs were NOT among the ones listed. They still came up at 75% off though.[/quote]

Ralph's or Kroger?

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']At my Fry's, discs were 50% off.[/quote]

Which fry's? The two here in GA are still regular price

Just a little FYI.......

I was told by a woman who said she was the Kroger area merchandising manager, that the HD DVDs should be going back to the distributer soon. She seemed surprised that they were still in the store.

bread's done
Back