Kroger Bargain Bin HD-DVDs

Jeremy O'Brien

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster here. I searched and I didn't see this anywhere yet so I thought I'd try and give something back to the community that has saved me so much money.

For whatever reason, Kroger is currently carrying HD DVDs in their bargain bins for 4-8 dollars a pop. I can't remember all of them but the ones I can are as follows:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
Army of Darkness
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup
Children Of Men
Dazed and Confused
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fearlesss
The Good Shepard
Half Baked
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Kingdom
Miami Vice
Slither
Smokin Aces
Unleashed
You, Me, and Dupree

I'm sure there were more, this is just from memory. If I can remember more, I'll post them. I went to two on the east side of Cincinnati, btw.

[quote name='xoh96x']Which fry's? The two here in GA are still regular price[/quote]

Arizona.

Elliot and Alma School.

The Frys on Baseline and Country Club had quite a few of them, but they were not 50% off. The prices were $3.99-$7.99.

[quote name='PhotoMan']Just a little FYI.......

I was told by a woman who said she was the Kroger area merchandising manager, that the HD DVDs should be going back to the distributer soon. She seemed surprised that they were still in the store.[/quote]

It started Sunday. The Kroger in Dalton had the whole bargain bin display pulled but the $9.99 movie "waterfall" racks stayed. If you want any of these HD-DVDs don't wait for another price cut, they are being pulled by the distributor.

I haven't seen any in Michigan yet (I don't have an HD-DVD player, but even for the dvd version some of those are pretty nice prices - if you can find them that is.)

Said what the hell and bought Boomtown two days ago. When the kid scanned it, it asked for a price, he went to enter the sticker, I said, "These were half price the other day." Just so happened the manager was bagging at that register and he told the kid that they were indeed halfprice. Tried to buy some in Kingsport, TN last Sunday and they rang up full price and were very well stocked so some locations may have come to the party late and leaving later as well.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Said what the hell and bought Boomtown two days ago. When the kid scanned it, it asked for a price, he went to enter the sticker, I said, "These were half price the other day." Just so happened the manager was bagging at that register and he told the kid that they were indeed halfprice. Tried to buy some in Kingsport, TN last Sunday and they rang up full price and were very well stocked so some locations may have come to the party late and leaving later as well.[/quote]

Was it in a bin or on a "water fall?" I picked up Boomtown for 1/2 also. My wife loved that series, so did I. She wants that Paula Dean set too but I can't find it now.
I picked up an extra Children of Men for any ATL CAGS or any others that might want one shipped cheap.

I tried many times to get the HD DVDs half off, but never got in. But now it looks like they're starting to disappear-- found one bin and that was it. Glad I got in, but wish I got in at the 50% off mark. Oh well.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Was it in a bin or on a "water fall?" I picked up Boomtown for 1/2 also. My wife loved that series, so did I. She wants that Paula Dean set too but I can't find it now.
I picked up an extra Children of Men for any ATL CAGS or any others that might want one shipped cheap.[/quote]Waterfall? It was still in the bin, but strangely the outer cardboard "blowout signage" had been removed so it was just white cardboard with no indication of what was in the bin.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Waterfall? It was still in the bin, but strangely the outer cardboard "blowout signage" had been removed so it was just white cardboard with no indication of what was in the bin.[/quote]

Water-fall display is what the guy called the vertical display rack with the DVD slots. The bins are what I was told were being pulled.

My local Smiths has a bunch of HDDVDs still: Balls Of Fury, Miami Vice, Children of Men, Eastern Promises, Fearless, Unleashed, etc. Still haven't been able to find Animal House though..

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Were they Universal only?[/QUOTE]

I think they were all Universal Combo-Discs .

I noticed The Hitcher [remake] and that wasn't in the last batch .

I live literally walking distance from the closest Kroger, so I was all over the last sale .

[quote name='Richlough']BUMP

I spotted a brand new bin at my Kroger , with different HD DVD's than the first batch .[/quote]
Details, details, DETAILS!

Basically the same type of cardboard on a pallet bin as last time .

I saw ;

The Hitcher
Elizabeth
Brokeback Mtn.
Jet Li movie
Tim Meadows movie

that's about all I can remember for now .
My hands were full and I had no cart .

[quote name='Richlough']Basically the same type of cardboard on a pallet bin as last time .

I saw ;

The Hitcher
Elizabeth
Brokeback Mtn.
Jet Li movie
Tim Meadows movie

that's about all I can remember for now .
My hands were full and I had no cart .[/quote]

Were they the same $4.99, 5.99, & 6.99 price points?

Was the Tim Meadows movie "Talk to me" ?

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Were they the same $4.99, 5.99, & 6.99 price points?

Was the Tim Meadows movie "Talk to me" ?[/QUOTE]

Duh , I guess I left that out .
The pricing seemed the same as last time .

And just yes .

Alot of the other DVDs were newer previously viewed titles . Mostly stuff that is on cable now .

This is good news. Maybe I'll finally get an Animal House and The Hitcher is a definite buy, I was surprised at how much I liked that movie.

Looking over the list in the OP, I can remember a few more .

Alpha Dog
Breach
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
Hollywoodland
The Hitcher [remake]
The Kingdom
Slither
Talk To Me
Unleashed [or Jet Li movie]

I want The Breakfast Club and Dazed And Confused .

[quote name='Richlough']Looking over the list in the OP, I can remember a few more .

Alpha Dog
Breach
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
Hollywoodland
The Hitcher [remake]
The Kingdom
Slither
Talk To Me
Unleashed [or Jet Li movie]

I want The Breakfast Club and Dazed And Confused .[/quote]

Dazed and Confused took me forever to find, I had to get someone to pick it up for me out in the boonies. The Breakfast Club I never saw in any of the KRGRs.

I haven't seen TBC, but I know one of the local Albertsons has plenty of Dazed & Confused.

Other stuff I've seen is Scorpion King, Brokeback Mountain, Dead Silence, and Chuck & Larry. Bunch more, but those have been covered already.

Nice to see HD-DVDs cropping up again, it's just too bad we're not seeing different movies than the last batch. I pretty much picked up everything I wanted when they all went Half-off during the last sale, if there's another half-off I may pick up some films I didn't care about just for shits and giggles.

On another note someone pointed out in a different thread that TJ MAXX has HD/DVD combos for $5.99, may be worth checking out.

[quote name='Sacsquash']Nice to see HD-DVDs cropping up again, it's just too bad we're not seeing different movies than the last batch. I pretty much picked up everything I wanted when they all went Half-off during the last sale, if there's another half-off I may pick up some films I didn't care about just for shits and giggles.

On another note someone pointed out in a different thread that TJ MAXX has HD/DVD combos for $5.99, may be worth checking out.[/quote]

I bought everyone I didn't have when they hit $2 & $3.

What titles did you see at TJ Maxx?

I never found and would really like:
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup

I would gladly pay Media Mail shipping also.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']I can confirm the following new titles for the OP list:
Brokeback Mountain
The Hitcher
Waist Deep[/quote]

I got those the last time around, didn't notice they weren't on the list. I think they're just redoing all the same titles

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
What titles did you see at TJ Maxx?
[/quote]

Haven't checked it out yet, but I'm speculating that it may be similar to Kroger is supplying.

I was at Kroger today and this movie bin was marked as everything was 50% off of marked price so it has begun again. Too bad they only had slither, talk to me, and waist deep for hddvd. They had a bunch of good regular dvds like Maverick and Hancock and the Friday movies (although the first is by far the best), and a bunch of junk like the original Fun with Dick and Jane and ER Season 9. WTF am I gonna do with ONLY season 9.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I was at Kroger today and this movie bin was marked as everything was 50% off of marked price so it has begun again. Too bad they only had slither, talk to me, and waist deep for hddvd. They had a bunch of good regular dvds like Maverick and Hancock and the Friday movies (although the first is by far the best), and a bunch of junk like the original Fun with Dick and Jane and ER Season 9. WTF am I gonna do with ONLY season 9.[/QUOTE]

Too bad for Slither? Hopefully it's bad because you already own it, as the movie itself is classic campy horror at its finest.

[quote name='Bervda']Too bad for Slither? Hopefully it's bad because you already own it, as the movie itself is classic campy horror at its finest.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too because Slither is far better then either Maverick or Hancock.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Has anyone confirmed if they resurfaced in Fry's? (I know Kroger's got some)[/QUOTE]

What resurfaced at Fry's?
They never left mine, in fact they are doing buy 4 get 1 free for HD-DVDs

[quote name='manthing']I :pray: that if I hit some FOOD4LESS stores in Chicago this weekend, they'll have a bin.[/QUOTE]

Went to a couple Food 4 Less(part of Kroger) stores in the Chicagoland area this weekend, but found *0* :hd:

But it wasn't a complete waste. I got Krush Groove and Barry Gordy's Last Dragon DVDs for $4.94 each.

bread's done
Back