L.A. Noire - Gen. Discussion & Info - Rockstar Pass 800pts: All Pre-order DLC + More!

[quote name='shieryda']There are videos on how to get the weapon on YouTube now.[/QUOTE]

Kind of afraid of getting my account banned as well. :cry:

The Rockstar Pass is on Live now. It's $10 and will include all of the DLC we have heard about so far.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...tar-Pass/a47dd117-25c9-4034-82bb-d5f5917c3a93

The L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass includes all the following: The Broderick Detective Suit, The Sharpshooter Detective Suit, The Badge Pursuit Challenge & Button Man Suit, "The Naked City" Vice Case, "A Slip Of The Tongue" Traffic Case, "Nicholson Electroplating" Arson Case and "Reefer Madness" Vice Case. Individual items will become available to download when released.
The Slip of the Tongue and Naked City cases are up and they are priced at $4 individually.

So 4 cases for $10 or buy them individually for $16, assuming the next two are $4 each as well.

Not counting the patrol cases which were very short, the main game comes out to about $3.50 per case ($60/17). Assuming the DLC cases are as robust as the traffic and up cases, then I don't think this is a bad deal ($10/4 is $2.50 per case). You'll also spend time collecting yet more shit and some suits if that sort of things gives you boners.

Considering the game ended up costing $34 on Amazon for me, I think it's a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spokker']The Rockstar Pass is on Live now. It's $10 and will include all of the DLC we have heard about so far.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...tar-Pass/a47dd117-25c9-4034-82bb-d5f5917c3a93

The Slip of the Tongue and Naked City cases are up and they are priced at $4 individually.

So 4 cases for $10 or buy them individually for $16, assuming the next two are $4 each as well.

Not counting the patrol cases which were very short, the main game comes out to about $3.50 per case ($60/17). Assuming the DLC cases are as robust as the traffic and up cases, then I don't think this is a bad deal ($10/4 is $2.50 per case). You'll also spend time collecting yet more shit and some suits if that sort of things gives you boners.

Considering the game ended up costing $34 on Amazon for me, I think it's a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

I hope for some people's sake it puts a stop to people buying overpriced dlc from Ebay and other avenues.

This is kind of nerdy but I attended a LA Noire walking tour in Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday. A group that deals in historical preservation put the tour together and the subject matter was based on how LA Noire portrays the real architecture and locations of 1947's Downtown LA.

The tour began at Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway with a presentation of LA Noire itself for those who have not played the game. After leaving Clifton's, we headed for Pershing Square and we would stop here and there while the tour guide laid out facts about the various buildings and how the neighborhood has changed and not changed.

Some of the highlights included the Bradbury Building, the Spring Street Arcade and a very in-depth and personal recollection of the old Bunker Hill by a tour participant. We also rode Angel's Flight.

The most interesting and somewhat tragic part of the tour was that many buildings were "modernized" at some point or another. After the modernization process, many of the details and extensive sculpting you see on historical buildings was removed (basically paved over) for whatever reason. So they would basically take a beautiful building and strip it down so that it was bare, or "modern."

The tour was lead by the same guy who wrote this LA Noire article: http://www.1947project.com/47PplaysLANoire

It's from a preservationist's perspective so forgive the nitpicking.

[quote name='Spokker']This is kind of nerdy but I attended a LA Noire walking tour in Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday. A group that deals in historical preservation put the tour together and the subject matter was based on how LA Noire portrays the real architecture and locations of 1947's Downtown LA.

The tour began at Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway with a presentation of LA Noire itself for those who have not played the game. After leaving Clifton's, we headed for Pershing Square and we would stop here and there while the tour guide laid out facts about the various buildings and how the neighborhood has changed and not changed.

Some of the highlights included the Bradbury Building, the Spring Street Arcade and a very in-depth and personal recollection of the old Bunker Hill by a tour participant. We also rode Angel's Flight.

The most interesting and somewhat tragic part of the tour was that many buildings were "modernized" at some point or another. After the modernization process, many of the details and extensive sculpting you see on historical buildings was removed (basically paved over) for whatever reason. So they would basically take a beautiful building and strip it down so that it was bare, or "modern."

The tour was lead by the same guy who wrote this LA Noire article: http://www.1947project.com/47PplaysLANoire

It's from a preservationist's perspective so forgive the nitpicking.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool actually.

Very cool. Not to get defensive about the game or whatever, but it did strike me as a little sad that things like "in the game there was a laundromat on this street corner when in real life it was a butcher shop" were impeding his enjoyment. I mean, a dude whose life's hobby is 1947 L.A., and here comes along the closest thing to a 1947 L.A. simulator that will probably ever exist... you'd hope that he would be able to just let go and enjoy it. To each their own I guess.

His job is to nitpick. He is a historian and a preservation advocate.

It didn't hinder his enjoyment of the game. He is stating what is accurate and what is not. But at the end of the day, he has said that the game allowed him to live out a lot of fantasies, at least in video game form.

Well that's cool then.

I'll probably pick up the Rockstar Pass. I'm not exactly dying for new content in the game yet (still working on the Vice desk) but all of that stuff for 800 points is a pretty enticing deal.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well that's cool then.

I'll probably pick up the Rockstar Pass. I'm not exactly dying for new content in the game yet (still working on the Vice desk) but all of that stuff for 800 points is a pretty enticing deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I paid the 800 points for it, it's well worth it. I am on the arson desk right now, trying to get five stars on every case so I have to do a few of them over. For all you get out of the Rockstar pass it is well worth it.

Do things get a lot more interesting the further you go in the game? I'm done with the traffic cases and while there are a lot of things I love about the game -- the motion-cap acting, atmosphere and story -- I'm finding myself becoming bored with the repetitious nature of the game play. Just wondering because I can see myself trading it in, buying it eventually one day for cheap when I've got the itch to play it, but trading it now right now. I actually found myself falling asleep trying to finish off one of the cases last night... :(

Wait, so the 800 MSP for the pass gets you the dlc automatically? I thought it offered a discount on existing dlc, or was that a discount on future dlc with the pass? If that's the case, I'll buy it this afternoon. I really like this game and hope more companies do something different like this. It's a refreshing break from standard GTA affair. EDIT: Nevermind, just had my question answered in another thread. Definitely getting this bundle for 800 MSP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my 100% yesterday, working on getting 5 stars for each of the cases.

I'll probably get the Rockstar Pass since it's up and I have points to spare.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Do things get a lot more interesting the further you go in the game? [/QUOTE]

There are three types of traditional gameplay in the game. You either chase someone on foot (variation is that you tail them), chase after someone in a car (and also tail suspects) and get involved in a shootout. The game cycles through these kinds of sequences throughout the rest of the game and they only become a little more difficult.

[quote name='kburns10']Wait, so the 800 MSP for the pass gets you the dlc automatically? I thought it offered a discount on existing dlc, or was that a discount on future dlc with the pass? If that's the case, I'll buy it this afternoon. I really like this game and hope more companies do something different like this. It's a refreshing break from standard GTA affair. EDIT: Nevermind, just had my question answered in another thread. Definitely getting this bundle for 800 MSP![/QUOTE]

According to a thread on Neogaf (Post #91), Rockstar claims that the DLC listed for this pass is comprehensive, and they have no additional plans to release DLC for LA Noire after the releases currently announced today.

Whether you believe that is up to you. However, the official stance of the moment is that this Rockstar Pass is going to cover ALL LA Noire DLC.

[quote name='kellte2']According to a thread on Neogaf (Post #91), Rockstar claims that the DLC listed for this pass is comprehensive, and they have no additional plans to release DLC for LA Noire after the releases currently announced today.

Whether you believe that is up to you. However, the official stance of the moment is that this Rockstar Pass is going to cover ALL LA Noire DLC.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean whether you believe it is up to you?

This is taken right from Rockstar Games website:

"Announcing the first details about upcoming downloadable content for L.A. Noire. Beginning today and continuing on through the summer months, several standalone cases, collectibles and challenges will be released via PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE, including all of the pre-order exclusive unlockable bonus content as well as a free downloadable weapon.

Starting today you'll be able to purchase the L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass, a new way to pre-order and purchase DLC that gives players access to all of the upcoming downloadable content for L.A. Noire, available for a limited-time discounted price of just $9.99 on PlayStation Network and 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE.

Then, later this summer, look for two brand new DLC cases. The "Nicholson Electroplating" Arson case (coming June 21st) and the "Reefer Madness" Vice case (coming July 12th). Below is the full breakdown of L.A. Noire downloadable content pricing and release dates.
Stay tuned for more details and information on these L.A. Noire DLC cases in the weeks to come.

Now Available
* "Chicago Lightning" Detective Suit (Free via the Social Club)
* "Chicago Piano" Machine Gun (Free)
* L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass ($9.99 PSN / 800 MS Points until June 14th)
* "The Naked City" Vice Desk Case ($3.99 PSN / 320 MS Points)
* "A Slip of The Tongue" Traffic Desk Case ($3.99 PSN / 320 MS Points)
* The Badge Pursuit Challenge ($1.99 PSN / 160 MS Points)
* "The Broderick" Detective Suit ($0.99 PSN / 80 MS Points)
* "The Sharpshooter" Detective Suit ($0.99 PSN / 80 MS Points)

Available June 21st
* "Nicholson Electroplating" Arson Desk Case ($3.99 PSN / 320 MS Points)

Available July 12th
* "Reefer Madness" Vice Desk Case ($3.99 PSN / 320 MS Points)
"

That kind of sucks! I really like this game and would like to see more DLC down the pipe. Hopefully this game does well enough and we get some kind of spin off (I don't know if a sequel would make much sense, but I haven't seen the ending yet).

finished story mode at 3 am this morning, woke up and saw the rockstar pass was active and went ahead and picked it up...then proceeded to 1 star the traffic case >..<

this is going to be a game i will keep coming back to again and again methinks

Even if there were more DLC planned after Reefer Madness, it is unlikely that the Rockstar Pass would cover it.

[quote name='thetruelokre']finished story mode at 3 am this morning, woke up and saw the rockstar pass was active and went ahead and picked it up...then proceeded to 1 star the traffic case >..<

this is going to be a game i will keep coming back to again and again methinks[/QUOTE]

I am working on the Slip of the Tongue case now. I haven't had too many issues getting low stars, if I end up in a lot of car chases and don't avoid light poles or people that can be a problem, otherwise I usually get 4 stars. Right now I have 5 stars for all my cases but it has taken a bit of time.

[quote name='Jabrim']I am working on the Slip of the Tongue case now. I haven't had too many issues getting low stars, if I end up in a lot of car chases and don't avoid light poles or people that can be a problem, otherwise I usually get 4 stars. Right now I have 5 stars for all my cases but it has taken a bit of time.[/QUOTE]

my problem is that i don't pay as much attention as i should most of the time and I get confused when i try to present evidence. Most of my cases are 4 stars, with a fist full in the 5 and 3 range...have all of 2 one star cases

I think i may hold off to seriously tackle the new cases until the last 2 pop out, that way i'll have 4 or 5 hours of new content to tackle at once...until then i'll be working towards the 100%...sitting at 75% atm and i haven't even started the film reels

[quote name='thetruelokre']my problem is that i don't pay as much attention as i should most of the time and I get confused when i try to present evidence. Most of my cases are 4 stars, with a fist full in the 5 and 3 range...have all of 2 one star cases

I think i may hold off to seriously tackle the new cases until the last 2 pop out, that way i'll have 4 or 5 hours of new content to tackle at once...until then i'll be working towards the 100%...sitting at 75% atm and i haven't even started the film reels[/QUOTE]

Well I haven't looked for the film reels but honestly, I have no seen a single one since I have been playing the game and I am at about 80% or so and finishing the "Naked City" dlc now. I don't know about anyone else but, the dlc cases to me seem more comical, maybe it was just me though.

[quote name='Jabrim']Well I haven't looked for the film reels but honestly, I have no seen a single one since I have been playing the game and I am at about 80% or so and finishing the "Naked City" dlc now. I don't know about anyone else but, the dlc cases to me seem more comical, maybe it was just me though.[/QUOTE]

Probably because the films are in random spots all over the map. Its hard to just run into one, especially if you dont get out of the car and run around the map on foot. A few of them are on houses porches, and other areas you wouldnt normally walk.

[quote name='menikmati']Just finished A Slip of the Tongue, it was the only case I received 5 stars in on the first try.[/QUOTE]

I liked the two dlc cases that are out so far, but I am glad I got them at a discounted rate because really you can breeze right through them fairly quickly.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I have never played a game that I wanted to end so badly. 1/4 of the way through the game I felt like I had seen all there was to see. 3/4 of the way through it feels like I am just going through the motions with nothing more to see or do and dread going to new crimes scenes just to walk around pressing A.

I think my final thought about LA Noire is that there is very little actual game here. Its like a "hey lets find the pre-scripted, pre-determined events." Everything is far to scripted here and it doesnt feel like a real world at all. Especially when it tells you at the end of the case that you found 11 out of 15 clues and answered 10 out of 13 questions right. It almost feels like they added a bunch of crap at the end because those are the things that are suppose to be in a game. I could have done without every single car chase, fist fight, gun battle etc etc since they all seemed poorly constructed anyway. Every time I came across one it broke all immersion by slapping in the face and screaming YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME!

A+ for trying Rockstar...seriously, I will gladly shell out money when people try new things....too bad it didnt work that well.[/QUOTE]

I have to second this. The game's motion-capture acting is superlative and really is what kept me going, but from a game play standard this one falls well short of the mark. It's also unfortunate the developers go to so much trouble in recreating this world and don't bring you into it more -- someone mentioned earlier that it didn't feel authentic in terms of how people behaved in the '40s and I agree. It's designed more out of stock movie cliches and revisionist history, not how it really was, and that's what's sad. Video games CAN bring you into a certain time and place even more than movies can, yet this game really blew the opportunity to make something really special.

I also found the story unbelievable and convoluted -- I guess it's the new thing these days to
be playing a "flawed hero" who either dies or was involved somehow in a crime
but I don't generate much enthusiasm for having played through a game with unlikeable characters you are supposed to identify with. If I don't care about them, why should I care about playing through it?

In the end I'll gladly support Rockstar when they try something like this too...but I think Noire comes up well short in the final analysis, especially from a game play perspective. Most of the reviews are, IMO, hugely overpraised as well.

I think pacing yourself may be the key to enjoying this game... because honestly, the gameplay is ultra-repetitive. I'm trying to just do a case or two every couple of days now rather than bingeing on it. Still liking the game a lot, but I wish the controls and gameplay were as polished as the story and acting. The shooting is just clumsy as hell, it feels stiffer than the first Mass Effect, and that was a straight-up RPG.

Finished the DLC cases (A Slip of The Tongue and The Naked City). Both were pretty fun, but I preferred A Slip of the Tongue. Can't wait for the next two DLC cases. Sad to hear that there won't be anymore DLC. Maybe a Expansion Pack like they did with GTA and RDR with the Burglary and Fraud desks?

[quote name='gbpackers94']How long is each DLC case?[/QUOTE]

I believe I finished them in about 30 minutes or so a piece, somewhere around there.

I decided to skip the DLC.

I think what I liked most about the game was that each desk was a collection of cases that built up to a major conclusion. It was like a mini-season in a TV series. The prospect of playing one off DLC cases isn't very appealing to me, though the price does seem reasonable.

I ended up getting LA Noire for $34 from Amazon when all was said and done. I think I'll go ahead and sell this back and break even, even though I never really sell back games. This one feels finished, and I loved almost every second of it. I could probably get a couple older titles that I missed out on.

If they do release a more robust expansion, perhaps I'll get the "game of the year" pack that they usually end up releasing.

This game was fun and different, the cases were getting a little repetitive but they knew how to change some of the cases up in each individual desk.

I am now, considering I bought the Pass last night. Damn R* for extending the sale and damn myself for not finishing the game a month ago and selling it off.

Nicholson Electroplating was pretty entertaining even though it was pretty easy and very short. Can't wait for Reefer Madness.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Did new copies of LA Noire come with anything? I'm about to trade for it.[/QUOTE]

Mine didn't. I haven't had mine for a week yet.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Did new copies of LA Noire come with anything? I'm about to trade for it.[/QUOTE]

First print runs at Walmart, BB, Gamestop, and Amazon came with codes. Suits with bonus abilities were at BB and Amazon, extra cases were at Walmart and Gamestop. ALL of the DLC is available through the Rockstar Pass. TRU and Target copies had nothing, and many of the other retailers are out of copies that came with the free launch DLC.

The only version of the game that came with a case no matter the retailer was the PS3 version of the game. That case is exclusive to PS3 AND NOT available on EITHER version of the Rockstar Pass.

Just bit on the Rockstar pass.

I am enjoying this game A LOT. I just finished the first homicide case and I like how the cases are getting more interesting.

I am unsure how far along I am in terms of how many hours left in this game but the fact that I just started the second disc is reassuring because I don't want it to end! :p

Something I was wondering. I'm on the 3rd disc working in arson at the moment, but if I want to do traffic free roam, do I have to go back to disc 1 or can that be done off of disc 3?

[quote name='JStryke']Something I was wondering. I'm on the 3rd disc working in arson at the moment, but if I want to do traffic free roam, do I have to go back to disc 1 or can that be done off of disc 3?[/QUOTE]

I believe all the Street Crimes are disc-specific.

Finished up the Nicholson Electroplating case two days ago. Short, but entertaining case.

[quote name='JStryke']Something I was wondering. I'm on the 3rd disc working in arson at the moment, but if I want to do traffic free roam, do I have to go back to disc 1 or can that be done off of disc 3?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It's rather annoying when you want to do street crime achievements and what not, but outside of that, it's not much of a hassle.

im waiting this game to hit $20-$25 (missed the TRU deal). but do you guys think that i should get the season pass so i can get the dlcs cheap?

or should i wait for the GOTY edition should there be one lol..

The street crimes are desk specific. If you miss them during your run through the desk, afterwards, go into Streets of LA mode for the desk you've completed in the cases menu and you can find all of the collectibles and all of the street crimes for that desk.

On the Badge Pursuit Challenge, you have to have either entered the code you got from Gamestop or have gotten the Rockstar Pass and downloaded the Badge Pursuit DLC.

bread's done
Back