L.A. Noire - Gen. Discussion & Info - Rockstar Pass 800pts: All Pre-order DLC + More!

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Someone said it was episodic?

how do you access past levels?[/QUOTE]

You can access completed and downloaded cases from your desk if you ever want to replay them/try for 100%. I've only Five-Stared one case so far. It's tough.

[quote name='hustletron']I probably posted without refreshing, I picked my GS copy up already, I'm gonna try and return the Amazon copy when it comes tomorrow.

Apparently there's 3 DLC codes, the Badge Pursuit, Naked City case whatever, and Consul's Car. I don't care about the Amazon suit so I'll definitely be trying to return it.[/QUOTE]

Consul's Car is PS3 only code. Naked City/Badge Pursuit challenge is one code. The film negatives are the locations in LA of the badges.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Why cant I find the LA Noire deal in any of the Kmart papers? I trust that it works but when doing deals I like to have the paper with me so rule out idiot workers.[/QUOTE]

Prin out kmartgamer.com as it's a blog specific deal.

playing it and liking it so far
very fun and different
though i suck at reading ppl
one dude had shifty eyes and i accused him of lying and got it wrong

[quote name='cin84_12']I'm loving this game so far. The faces and music are fantastic. I do wish it would show what he's going to say in the interviews so I can choose better. The doubt choices seem kind of harsh and give me negative results.[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest complaint. Sometimes it feels like he REALLY overshoots the mark when i choose the 'doubt' option.

Interviewing is not always intuitive, basically.

Also i've had some minor glitching where i've gotten totally unrelated (to my case) comments in the car when driving between locations.

Definitely a unique game so far. Love the music and atmosphere. Don't love the clunky controls (pull RT to run? really? it couldn't be the A button like in every other third person shooter? :p). I also kind of wish I could just pull my gun at random times and shoot interview subjects in the face. Sure I'd fail the case, but it would be hilarious.

I just finished the "Naked City" DLC. Took about an hour to complete and I received all of the achievements for 100 points.

Achievement spoiler for the "tricky" one:
A Good-Looking Corpse (20) Find and inspect all of the narcotics in Julia Randall's apartment. - For this one there is an easy to miss item. It is located in the garbage can in the main lobby.

I haven't gotten to the part where you have to swap discs yet. Is it one of those deals where you can install to your hard drive and keep disc 1 in there? Or is it full out swapping?

I'm in my first case at Traffic. Still pretty early in the game but I'm loving it so far. This facial motion engine is amazing. It's pretty awesome when you can tell someone is lying by looking at their face.

Some helpful advice to those having trouble. The eyes and tone of voice have been big giveaways for lies so far. Make sure you find all or almost all of the clues before interviewing anyone. You can tell if you have all the clues when you hear the 'found all clues' tune play and the investigation music die down. If you accuse someone of lying, you need to have the right evidence to back it up. Also you can push A to sometimes investigate items further, like turning a piece of paper around or opening something. You can also scroll up and down some items which may give further clues.

It's been a long day but I just opened the box and was greeted by a real manual! Looking forward to this as I wait for it to install.

Thanks for the tip Indignate!

sadly i didnt know this was a rock star game. would of preordered otherwise haha.i mean who cares aobut mobsters and some awful name like la noire lol

hope rockstar does something in midevil times, rome, bible or the future next. :)

[quote name='confoosious']Is it one of those deals where you can install to your hard drive and keep disc 1 in there? Or is it full out swapping?[/QUOTE]Full out swapping.

[quote name='confoosious']I haven't gotten to the part where you have to swap discs yet. Is it one of those deals where you can install to your hard drive and keep disc 1 in there? Or is it full out swapping?[/QUOTE]

what "deal" was it where you didnt have to swap discs?

[quote name='CaptainKirk']what "deal" was it where you didnt have to swap discs?[/QUOTE]
Apart from things like Borderlands or Fallout where the DLC comes on a disc, I think there was a Forza game that installed data from a second disc that wasn't actually used to play the game. That's the only case like that though AFAIK. I'm not sure why this question still always comes up for multi-disc games; the pattern is pretty well established.

I just finished the Game...

Damn what a shitty ending, I wasn't a fan of Cole Phelps but he didn't have to die. Maybe they never found is body and they will return for a sequel but I didn't like the way it went down.

Im just starting the mission "The Drivers Seat". First impressions, seems like a cool game. I like how the guy talks like Joe Friday at the start of every mission like an episode of dragnet. The black and white color feature is kind of cool, but for now im not using it. Rather play the game in color.

The first mission where you
try to find the gun, seemed like it just never finished. Found the book of names and numbers and just went to a whole new mission. huh? Maybe it continues later in the game. IDK but made me feel like it was left unfinished. Never did figure out if he was the one who killed the guy or not, just that he owned the gun.

I hate when i get something wrong, then i just want to restart the mission. My first full crime investigation i restarted about 3 times, and failed the interrogation a couple times. By the time i made it to the end i wasnt satisfied, more annoyed. I mean lie and doubt are almost the same. I have a problem with remembering names, which doesnt help. And i like to read the subtitles so i have a hard time looking at their faces.

On another note, why are the buttons upside down. On the menu that pops up it shows A - truth at the top, X - doubt in the middle, and Y - lie on the bottom. It should be flipped to match the 360 controller layout.

Hopefully i get the hang of it more, and start to get better at this.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Apart from things like Borderlands or Fallout where the DLC comes on a disc, I think there was a Forza game that installed data from a second disc that wasn't actually used to play the game. That's the only case like that though AFAIK. I'm not sure why this question still always comes up for multi-disc games; the pattern is pretty well established.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania was going to do that at first, but from what I hear MS didn't let them. I'm guessing that whole thing is why people ask about it as it was never officially said it wouldn't work, people found out by trying.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im just starting the mission "The Drivers Seat". First impressions, seems like a cool game. I like how the guy talks like Joe Friday at the start of every mission like an episode of dragnet. The black and white color feature is kind of cool, but for now im not using it. Rather play the game in color.

The first mission where you
try to find the gun, seemed like it just never finished. Found the book of names and numbers and just went to a whole new mission. huh? Maybe it continues later in the game. IDK but made me feel like it was left unfinished. Never did figure out if he was the one who killed the guy or not, just that he owned the gun.

I hate when i get something wrong, then i just want to restart the mission. My first full crime investigation i restarted about 3 times, and failed the interrogation a couple times. By the time i made it to the end i wasnt satisfied, more annoyed. I mean lie and doubt are almost the same. I have a problem with remembering names, which doesnt help. And i like to read the subtitles so i have a hard time looking at their faces.

On another note, why are the buttons upside down. On the menu that pops up it shows A - truth at the top, X - doubt in the middle, and Y - lie on the bottom. It should be flipped to match the 360 controller layout.

Hopefully i get the hang of it more, and start to get better at this.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that first case will get picked up later on.

You don't have to restart the entire case. You can quit out and resume and it should put you right before the current scene.

The different between Lie and Doubt that I've noticed is that you use Doubt when they aren't flat-out lying to you i.e. giving half-truths.

You want to use Lie when you're sure that they aren't telling the truth AND you have evidence that says so. If you're not sure between the two, it's a good idea to hit lie first and see what they say as it might give away the evidence to use if they were lying. Otherwise, you can always back out of the lie and choose Doubt.

I did better on the next case. It was called the Drivers Seat. Is it just me or at the end of this mission you think,
that adrian black was faking his death to live his life with frank morgan.

Yeah i think lie is only if you have proof they arent telling the truth, and doubt is when you think they are lying but dont have proof. Cant wait to play some more tomorrow.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I did better on the next case. It was called the Drivers Seat. Is it just me or at the end of this mission you think,

[/QUOTE]

Not really, since he had that 'girl in Seattle' thing. Did you read the note behind the picture frame?

[quote name='seen']I got the "Slip of the tongue" dlc, is it worth playing or should I sell it?[/QUOTE]

If it's going for absurd amounts I would sell it. Rockstar has promised all of the preorder DLC will be available at some point for purchase, but it may be a few months down the road.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I did better on the next case. It was called the Drivers Seat. Is it just me or at the end of this mission you think,

Yeah i think lie is only if you have proof they arent telling the truth, and doubt is when you think they are lying but dont have proof. Cant wait to play some more tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there was a note to and from Nicole in Seattle

Played through the end of the first case in traffic. I like it, the voice acting and facial animations are amazing and investigating the cases are fun. It's great to think someone is doing it and then get clues that show a different story...and then you have to figure out how to put it all together and make a person admit to the crime. But aside from the questioning segments, the rest of the game sort of feels like an afterthought to the cutscenes. Action scenes can be skipped if failed, the audio hints about clues make it too simple to find clues, driving can be skipped, the leveling system doesn't really have a point to it, and whoever decided to put the run and shoot function on the same button needs to go back to user interface school. The doubt option is about as subtle as a kick to the balls.

I am enjoying the game though. I'd suggest people turn off the skip action scene and clue hints off right away.

[quote name='whiptcracker']But aside from the questioning segments, the rest of the game sort of feels like an afterthought to the cutscenes. Action scenes can be skipped if failed, the audio hints about clues make it too simple to find clues, driving can be skipped, the leveling system doesn't really have a point to it, and whoever decided to put the run and shoot function on the same button needs to go back to user interface school.[/QUOTE]
I feel that way too... Part of me wants to just skip the driving because the crime/investigation scenes are so much fun, and the open world doesn't seem to have much point to it. But then I would miss the street crimes (are they missable or can you always do them later?), and also, it just seems like kind of a waste of this huge L.A. map that they obviously spent a ton of time and effort on creating. It's like the first No More Heroes-- this is an open-world game, why?

And yeah, please God let them patch in a way to remap the controls. No reason on earth why I shouldn't be able to run and enter cover with the A button.

Also, does anyone know if the street crimes have 'good' and 'bad' endings, or whether it makes any difference? There have been a couple instances where something unfavorable happened, but I still completed the crime, and I wasn't sure if that ending was just dictated by the story, or if I could have performed better and got a more favorable ending.

Any estimates as to how long this game is? I've heard there's only 21 cases/missions, and compared to the 50+ RDR had, seems kinda short

[quote name='Jintty']Any estimates as to how long this game is? I've heard there's only 21 cases/missions, and compared to the 50+ RDR had, seems kinda short[/QUOTE]

Reviews I've seen say around 20 hours. You could definitely get through RDR in less than that, especially if you skipped a lot of the side missions/diversions.

[quote name='Indignate']
Not really, since he had that 'girl in Seattle' thing. Did you read the note behind the picture frame?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah but why would
the other guy help him fake his death, its too risky for him to help unless he was involved with the guy. The Nicole picture could have been fake. I think that was the only clue about Nicole.

I just picked this up from GS with leftover credit. Can't wait to get home and play since I've been waiting on this game for so long. Thanks for not spoiling anything here guys! :)

I'm a couple cases in and aside from the facial animations I'm really not all that impressed by the game. I loved the idea of a slow paced detective story but it's just not as fun as I thought and even when I bombed on a case everything still progresses as usual. The cover mechanic is pretty terrible and I just don't understand why this is a open world game, it feels tacked on just to be part of rockstars band of sandbox games.

[quote name='ajh2298']Do the different suits you unlock do anything for your character other than make him look different?[/QUOTE]

I think so, i have 3 outfits so far.

Chicago lightning makes you a better shooter with the thompson, bar, and shotgun.
Sword of Justice says, The city of angels is much more dangerous by night. Maybe this suit makes the game harder, or gets the random crimes to pop up easier? IDK.
Golden Boy says, get yourself two suits and get them pressed. I think this is the one you start with.

You could probably just google it and find the answers, i dont really want to bother. lol

Anyone deal with any bugs so far? I've had a couple. My partner wouldn't get into the car no matter what I tried. He showed up in it once I got to the next destination. The sound has dropped during the captain's briefings though luckily I do have my captions on.

Also, what's the deal with the saves? I went to leave in the middle of a case. It said it would load from the last save, but it loaded from the beginning of the case.

So is this game a must buy or wait it out for a price drop?I'm waiting for amazon to drop around $40 or taking the $20 credit deal. Does the lack of online multi player or co-op hurts its replay value?
Could we expect this in a future DLC release? Ihavent been playing my 360 much other than kinect games so a new game would be nice

[quote name='cin84_12']Anyone deal with any bugs so far? The sound has dropped during the captain's briefings though luckily I do have my captions on.[/QUOTE]

I had a few moments where the talking went really low.

So far this game is pretty cool. But i feel like it doesnt matter what i find, or if i pick the right options when it comes to the interrogation. I thought it would be more in depth, and clues would matter more, and id actually have to solve something. Completing each case doesnt really give me much satisfaction, because it feels like no matter how good or bad i do, its going to get solved. The only time i have to replay the mission is when i get shot dead, or dont keep up with a guy or car on the run.

I also get annoying when my guy aims over the left shoulder and the only way to fix it is to take cover and turn the other way, then back off from cover. Too bad they didnt add the RDR option to press the Dpad left or right to switch.

I got a bug/glitch where one of the guys was talking, but his mouth wasn't moving. Thankfully his eyes still rolled when he lied to me.

Thinking of getting this for PS3. Maybe when it goes down under $50 at least. I'm still fucking pissed I bought Portal 2 at full price and now it's down to $40 already.

I see the metacritic/gamerankings show that the 360 aggregate score is slightly higher than the PS3. Any reason whY? Just curious.

[quote name='IRHari']Thinking of getting this for PS3. Maybe when it goes down under $50 at least. I'm still fucking pissed I bought Portal 2 at full price and now it's down to $40 already.

I see the metacritic/gamerankings show that the 360 aggregate score is slightly higher than the PS3. Any reason whY? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

No real reason. The score will sometimes fluctuate like that because one plubication (say an Xbox magazine) might give the game a 9 while another (say a PS3 magazine) gives it a 8. Also, Metacritic will only use the score of a site for only one platform unless they deviate the review somehow (GB states the review is for both platforms, GS provides different links). If you check out the PS3 versions reviews, Destructoid and Joystiq are listed there, however they are not listed while looking at the 360 versions reviews. This tends to fuck up the average as well.

The only real difference between the games that I know of is that on the 360 the framerate is a somewhat worse, there are some jagged edges, draw-in is more noticeable, and the three disk.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Definitely convicted an innocent in my last case. Dude seemed pretty fucking guilty though...[/QUOTE]

Was it during the case of
the golden butterfly?

For those with the 360 Gamestop or Walmart preorder cases: do the cases come up normally during your time on the traffic and vice desks, or are they under a special section you have to go to in order to play them?

[quote name='MSUHitman']For those with the 360 Gamestop or Walmart preorder cases: do the cases come up normally during your time on the traffic and vice desks, or are they under a special section you have to go to in order to play them?[/QUOTE]

Integrated. If you had no idea what the name of the DLC was, you'd never tell the difference between that and the normal flow of cases. I got the Wal-Mart one, which is the Traffic case, and it ended up being case number 3 on that desk.

You can always play it through the Cases menu, too. Don't know what happens if you don't download it until after you're off a certain desk, though... I'd assume you just play it seperately then.

bread's done
Back