Last-gen hidden gems...preferably less than $10

[quote name='The Crotch']I keep forgetting that X-Com was on PS1. Does anyone know if it has the same difficulty level bug as the PC version?[/QUOTE]

What difficulty level bug? Wikipedia didn't help.

I do know that no matter what difficulty I play it on, the PSX version gets really, really hard. I remember a review from back in the day mentioning that the Playstation version is harder than the PC version and is roughly equal to Terror From the Deep in terms of difficulty.

Awesome games but quite a bear to play with the digital Playstation pad. I wish I had a mouse.

HIDDEN GEM - Crash Team Racing : Yes, it probably sold a fair number of copies but to this day, it's still my favorite cart racing game ever. Needs to come out on the US PSN so I don't wind up buying the Japanese version.

[quote name='Razzuel']Yes, it is backwards compatible.[/quote]Yep, it was added a year or two after the 360 first came out. And works great except for when the environment (like giant bridges) get destroyed. It has some pretty heavy slowdown for a few seconds but then goes back to normal. Also, the custom soundtracks option won't work, just as in other Xbox 1 games.

[quote name='Halo05']What difficulty level bug? Wikipedia didn't help.
[/quote]No matter what difficulty you set the PC version to, it always reverts back to the easiest after the first fight.

Which is still ludicrously fucking hard, especially once Ethereals show up and start mind controlling your shit.

I'm noticing a good many of these games (at least at IGN.com) were not that well rated by IGN, but rated considerably higher by users (and in substantial numbers!) Good stuff, here folks! Thanks much! Keep 'em coming!!!

[quote name='squidhead442']I'm assuming you didn't mean PS2 only so...
Also, Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth. It's really creepy and especially great if you're into Lovecraft.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, this is a great game. RebelFM is actually having a game club series with this game where they talk about portions of it with the community, it's great fun. Not sure if it already finished though.

Its out for :pc: and :xbox: but both have a lot of bugs and glitches, especially the pc version.

I thought of another one that I don't think anyone has said (apologies if I missed it).

Secret Weapons Over Normandy - WWII flight sim with fun customization, a huge variety of planes, a neat "bullet time" mechanic to make dogfights more manageable, and a decent storyline. It's available on both Xbox and PS2. The Xbox version is slightly better but it isn't backwards compatible on the 360. It might be more than $10 but it is a blast.

Timesplitters 2, psychonauts, viewtiful joe, sly cooper games, pikmin, prince of persia, resident evil remake, Ico,and shadow of the colossus are the only ones I can think of. Some of the probably aren't so hidden.

[quote name='Halo05']I thought of another one that I don't think anyone has said (apologies if I missed it).

Secret Weapons Over Normandy - WWII flight sim with fun customization, a huge variety of planes, a neat "bullet time" mechanic to make dogfights more manageable, and a decent storyline. It's available on both Xbox and PS2. The Xbox version is slightly better but it isn't backwards compatible on the 360. It might be more than $10 but it is a blast.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I have that game on the xbox and it is great.

Best combat flight sim of all time in my opinion.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Mobile Light Force 1 & 2 (PS1 & PS2) - Originally debuting at $10 & $15 respectively, both games were actually translated versions of two very different shoot-em-ups - Gunbird (1 or 2?) and Castle Shikigami 2. You noted shooters in your original post, so you'll definitely like these games.[/QUOTE]

Mobile Light Force was Gunbird. Mobile Light Force 2 was not Castle Shikigami 2. It was the original Castle Shikigami. They didn't change the name of Castle Shikigami 2 when it was released here.

As for cheap hidden gems, a couple games that I'd recommend that I didn't see anyone else mention are Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast and Eye Toy Antigrav.

I'm going to second Psi-Ops for PS2/X-Box. Using Telekinesis to fling baddies wherever you want (or to throw various objects at them) never got old.

All of the shadow hearts games are worth playing. Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future are great too!

[quote name='diddy310']I'm going to second Psi-Ops for PS2/X-Box. Using Telekinesis to fling baddies wherever you want (or to throw various objects at them) never got old.[/quote]

Couldn't you also control their minds and make them do stuff?

Xbox: Raze's Hell
Evil dead: Fist Full of BoomStick
Red Dead Revolver

(i don't know how hidden these are, but I was not really playing video games during this time period, so I've been pickign things up cheap).

[quote name='BlueSwim']Raw Danger[/quote]

I picked this up during the last GS B2G1. I've not started it yet, but I'm hoping it will be good since I really liked Disaster Report.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']beach volleyball by sega
extreme g 3 racing - super speed racing on bikes with weapons[/QUOTE]

These were both on Gamecube. i kow volleyball was well liked, but I never got into it before I sold my copy.

Extreme G3 got to be really fun as you amped up your bike... my cousin and I stayed up till 2-3 am regularly on my work nights playing this game in two player mode... We had a blast with it. The motion/sound blur really gave you a sense of speed when you got the later bikes.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy(Xbox/PS2/GC) is an awesome platform/action/adventure game that more people shoudl have played. This is probably the one game that I most wish would get a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Got ot sealed still sitting there... it looked good when it released and my friend swore by it.. i cant wait to see what things happen to my mummy.

Also I found haunted Mansion to be pretty fun on the GC. I think it was made after the movie came out (Disney) but it was not tied to the movie, at least I dont think it was. It had no reference to Eddie Murphy etc.

It had a few cool boss battles etc. I really thought this game was too hard for the audience it was geared toward on the surface.

And if I didnt mention it in my first round of posts CIII was a good FPS with cell shaded visuals.

Phantom Dust gets another thumbs up here - awesome, under-appreciated game. Should be released as an XBOX Original, because people would definitely play it. It came out too late in the gen to get any fanfare.

I also love Bombastic for the PS2. It's the sequel to Devil Dice, one of the best action puzzlers ever, IMO.

And not that they're hidden gems, but the Midway collections 1-3 are all under $10, and are just damned fun - they've got some great games on them. Nothing like Arcade perfect versions of MKII and SF Rush 2049 when you're in an old-school arcade mood.

Played a bit of Secret Weapons over Normandy - fantastic game. I love actually having to dogfight planes (and not lockon-shoot-lockon-shoot like other flight sims w/ current day planes). Great stuff!

Skygunner...little disappointed - the fixed camera flight-game is really hard to get used to...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']X Files resist or serve - kind of like resident evil, a pretty challenging at times survival horror-esque type.[/quote]

what is the control like on this one? Tankish?

[quote name='chrisnsally']Can you find Gradius V for under $10? If so...where?!?! I want it![/quote]

It's only $9.99 at Gamestop. Put your zip into the locator.

[quote name='schuerm26']It's only $9.99 at Gamestop. Put your zip into the locator.[/quote]

I just tried searching for "gradius" and it's not even coming up. Just Gradius Collection and Gradius III and IV.

Shadow Hearts 2 and 3, although I'm not sure what their price is at the moment since I got 2 like 2 years ago. It wasn't alot then though.

Yakuza 1 and 2 are excellent, I got 1 for 9 bucks or so.

Odin sphere is an excellent choice, if you can find it for 10 bucks.

I might be alone here, but Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. I imported the Japanese copy for $40 bucks a few months after it came out and then heard about the US version, so I sold it and was able to get the US version from KB Toys before they went down for like $6.

Its a sprite based wrestling game with a very deep combat system. If you can get over the look (which I happen to love) its very awesome. The creation features in the game make it a blast. If you have a BC-PS3, you can even download roster edits with more American wrestlers in it that you might know. The community for it is small but very dedicated.

[quote name='advanced']I might be alone here, but Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. I imported the Japanese copy for $40 bucks a few months after it came out and then heard about the US version, so I sold it and was able to get the US version from KB Toys before they went down for like $6.

Its a sprite based wrestling game with a very deep combat system. If you can get over the look (which I happen to love) its very awesome. The creation features in the game make it a blast. If you have a BC-PS3, you can even download roster edits with more American wrestlers in it that you might know. The community for it is small but very dedicated.[/quote]
:applause::applause::applause:I completely, totally, 100% support this suggestion.:applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='dejeckt']Ummz... I'm not sure if this has been posted before
but this site is amazing for retro gaming (even featured Hidden Gems articles, and cheap games)
http://www.racketboy.com/retro[/quote]

Thanks - that's the complete link. (although I did post it literally one post before yours! it's all good!)

Love this thread by the way, lots of great games mentioned.

I have been looking through, trying to stick to the under $10 bar (a fair number of the games mentioned on here are still $15+ used), and I have a little list going. I have about $27.XX in GCs for GS, so I am thinking the next time a B2G1 comes around I am going to grab a a bunch of these (all of these are available online at GS):

:ps2: Klonoa 2 $7.99
:ps2: Drakan: The Ancient's Gate $6.99
:ps2: Magic Pengel $6.99
:ps2: Mister Mosquito $6.99
:ps2: Way of the Samurai $5.99
:ps2: Metal Arms: Glitch in the System $4.99
:ps2: Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy $4.99
:ps2: Rygar $4.99
:ps2: The Thing $4.99

EDIT: Dropped by GS at lunch, and grabbed the following (all $4.99 or less):

:ps2: Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (84 Metacritic)
:ps2: Maximo: Ghosts of Glory (84 Metacritic)
:ps2: Rygar (83 Metacritic)
:ps2: Aqua Aqua (79 Metacritic)
:ps2: The Thing (78 Metacritic)
:ps2: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (78 Metacritic)
:ps2: Fantavision (72 Metacritic)
:ps2: Bombastic (72 Metacritic)

8 games for less than $35...I'm putting my trust in you CAG Hivemind, lets hope these are good! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one that came to mind is Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Only played it at a friend's house and I regret not following up on that feeling by getting it myself, but that's when I was only into the general mass games so sue me.

DMC2 was apparently pretty bad, but the other two were great. MGS games are awesome...

But I wouldn't call any of those "hidden gems" !

: P

FYI - Gradius V is back in stock at EB.com - $9.99. At this point, I bit the bullet - finding one for under $20 (even used) is impossible....hell, I just want to play it - don't care about the box or manual!

bread's done
Back