Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='sociopharm02']got an extra code for anyone that is interested

TBG47-JYWJC-83MG8-YWDLP-DF6HW

Enjoy[/QUOTE]

Someone has already used this.

edit: nevermind LOL I checked my spam email account and JACKPOT L4D beta code from the junk numbers i entered. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Played 3 or 4 more games online tonight and it was a blast - even with total strangers. Headsets are an absolute must though. Anyone without one got instantly kicked from the lobby.

Regarding Witches. Don't shine a light at them, don't approach them, don't shoot them unless you have absolutely no choice. Tonight we had one directly in the middle of the train tracks so we had no choice. We threw 3 pipe bombs at her only to scare her, sending her directly into our group where she murdered everyone. The pipe bombs went off in the background as we all died.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Played 3 or 4 more games online tonight and it was a blast - even with total strangers. Headsets are an absolute must though. Anyone without one got instantly kicked from the lobby.

Regarding Witches. Don't shine a light at them, don't approach them, don't shoot them unless you have absolutely no choice. Tonight we had one directly in the middle of the train tracks so we had no choice. We threw 3 pipe bombs at her only to scare her, sending her directly into our group where she murdered everyone. The pipe bombs went off in the background as we all died.[/QUOTE]

I was playing with some young kid in our group. We come to a room where there was a Witch. He tells us to turn off our flashlights and don't go near it. I rush in, go over to it, and start shooting it. Of course it was the first time I played. Those things are a pain.

Lol, there can be so much fun for a griefer in this game though. All they have to do is break from your group, yell "LEEEEROY!" then run over and open that door at the end of the subway level, pop a cap at a witch when everybody is tippytoeing past it, etc. The vote to kick in this game is definitely a must, but with a group of friends it might be fun to just mess with eachother, like random pranks and shit.

it would be nice if I could actually download the fucking demo. Like what Nuts & Bolts did to me, it gets to the 55% mark and then hangs up telling me that it can't download the demo

Played for about an hour online, it's really fun and intense since the host had it on expert he said or whatever the highest difficulty was.

"Merry Christmas."

I enjoyed the demo. Usually, I have to adjust sensitivity settings, but the default sensitivity settings work. The controls feel more refined than Team Fortress 2. I think they tweaked the dead spot. I appreciate the intelligence of the computer controlled teammates. They heal you when you need it and save your ass when you're hanging from some zombie tongue like some zombie hunting Tarzan. And friendly fire isn't as bothersome as I imagined it would be. I assume it's due to the competent AI. Left 4 Dead is reminiscent of the Flash game titled the Last Stand. Coincidentally, it feels like an arcade game. Now, that's not a detriment, just a comment on its feel. I enjoyed the demo and look forward to eventually buying Left 4 Dead.

I played through the demo with my son this morning. Great game. I am looking forward to playing online with three more people - should be awesome.

I cannot believe how much money I am spending this fall on games - and now I have another one to buy!. Fable 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, and now Left 4 Dead!

Here's another pre-order code:

99E2E-EYIVQ-I7DIF-7JD5Q-AAQIY

Demo for everyone goes live in 2 days, so no point for me in keeping this.

I think one of the main things I like about this game is really the detail. Although it's something that makes common sense, the fact that they took notice to it is pretty damn awesome.

Whenever you melee, you obviously use the butt of the gun to hit the zombie. Your flashlight is also attached to it. When you're in the dark and you melee, the flashlight moves off into the distance (in the motion of the melee) -- it doesn't stay in place. I would've expected the flashlight to stay in place while you melee'ed, but it's just that sort of attention to detail, even if it is somewhat common sense that makes the game great. I've never seen this kind of thing in a game, but that might just be me.

In other news, I wish, hopefully, when the new game comes out, that there will be extra "game modifiers" when playing co-op campaign or campaign. Like Halo Skulls, where you can change different types of the game to make them more interesting (no HUD, Zombies have more health, Zombies explode when hit in head, etc..) If they added some interesting "game modifers" like that, it'd be golden.

[quote name='Zyzomys']I played through the demo with my son this morning. Great game. I am looking forward to playing online with three more people - should be awesome.

I cannot believe how much money I am spending this fall on games - and now I have another one to buy!. Fable 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, and now Left 4 Dead![/quote]

I cant believe how many of those have numbers in the title. Holy sequel batman!

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I notice you can close doors but they can literally be busted to splinters.[/quote]

Still, closing doors works well because while it does splinter the door, you will have some time to shoot through the open part that's been splintered. Plus it funnels them in a large group rather than a long stream of them so you waste less ammo and have better results with meleeing.

I always close doors behind me. Best example is the first level where you're in the house/apt. Going downstairs, close that door (at the top) and then the one at the bottom of the stairs and it's easy to clean them up.

I like how I've been to the train part so many times with random people but have never beaten it on expert. There was this one incompetent guy who kept killing Bill (NPC) every time we all died and restarted the game. He was like, WE DON'T NEED AN OLD GUY DRAGGING US DOWN, while me and the other guy were like wtf.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I like how I've been to the train part so many times with random people but have never beaten it on expert. There was this one incompetent guy who kept killing Bill (NPC) every time we all died and restarted the game. He was like, WE DON'T NEED AN OLD GUY DRAGGING US DOWN, while me and the other guy were like wtf.[/quote]

Could be worse. You could be stuck with HotShot.

Normally I'd pin it on Syn, but this game clearly pulls out HotShots zombie lust for braaaaaaains. Especially kentucky fried brains.

This is one of the few games where team killing and suicide can be advantageous. We were in the subway on expert (goddammn, that subway) and Francis got bile'd. As the horde started to emerge, he ran back to our little hiding spot near a wall.
Big mistake. We yelled at him, and told him to take on for the team and get knocked down, so he could eventually be saved. No dice. We shot him down right there and took care of the whore with no damage to ourselves.

And Bill, bless his heart, sacrificed himself and chucked a Moltov in front of him to shield us while he was attracting the horde. This game really feels like you're playing through a zombie flick.

And dear god, guys, when you're playing on XBL, please, please, please communicate with your mic, especially on Expert. For some reason, nobody spoke during the last 10 matches I played.

Does it matter which character you are?

I just played the demo online and it was pretty fun. There was a kid that played this before telling us what to do and not to do. For example he told us not to go near cars or else it'll set off the alarm. Unfortunately someone accidentally bumped into one and mayhem ensued lol. We still managed to beat it on normal without many difficulties.

Grr, abuse of the Gamestop pre-order system seems to have ruined the offer for those actually pre-ordering. I guess I'll be canceling my pre-order!

If anyone has an additional code (for pc), I'd be highly appreciative if you'd consider giving it to me! :D

[quote name='helmet']Grr, abuse of the Gamestop pre-order system seems to have ruined the offer for those actually pre-ordering. I guess I'll be canceling my pre-order!

If anyone has an additional code (for pc), I'd be highly appreciative if you'd consider giving it to me! :D[/quote]
Honestly, if Valve wanted to sell more copies, they would have sent out the demo weeks ago, and given the people who pre-ordered the game a cool trinket, or an artbook, or *something* better than a not-really-discount and early access to a demo that'll be out in a week.

[quote name='theking20']I really want to try this demo/beta, I have some ms points and xbla games( Joust) if anyone is interested.
Help me out[/quote]

I swear to god I want to punch you.

How many tricks and glitches and cheats must we post to get free demo codes/beta codes/ etc before people actually use them?

Again and for the final time. If you wanted in the demo that badly all you had to do was find any gamestop receipt that you had and type any random transaction code into the website shrike posted (like 4 pages ago now I am not going to look for it.....you look for it) and boom 2 min later you have a code.

Now I dont know if it works now that the codes have already been sent out but it work for me for 4 separate codes that I gave my friends.

Alright my last post sounds meaner than what I intended but damn we go through this every time.

Demo/beta whatever comes out.
CAG members find about 2 to 3 good quality ways for all to enjoy
CAG members post those ways
Other CAG members spend the days begging for codes while not even trying to search the thread for the ways we already posted to get said codes.

The demo was really great. Glad I preordered this at Amazon for the $49, it's gonna be THE game to play on co-op mode when it's released.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Again and for the final time. If you wanted in the demo that badly all you had to do was find any gamestop receipt that you had and type any random transaction code into the website shrike posted (like 4 pages ago now I am not going to look for it.....you look for it) and boom 2 min later you have a code.[/quote]

You don't even have to type in a transaction ID. I left it blank and got a code the next day.

[quote name='ScallionN']Honestly, if Valve wanted to sell more copies, they would have sent out the demo weeks ago, and given the people who pre-ordered the game a cool trinket, or an artbook, or *something* better than a not-really-discount and early access to a demo that'll be out in a week.[/quote]

The logic behind this process of offering a demo as a pre-order incentive is puzzling. I've been waiting quite some time for this title, but I can't justify jumping in an unknown purchase.. in order to try it and see if I enjoy it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright my last post sounds meaner than what I intended but damn we go through this every time.

Demo/beta whatever comes out.
CAG members find about 2 to 3 good quality ways for all to enjoy
CAG members post those ways
Other CAG members spend the days begging for codes while not even trying to search the thread for the ways we already posted to get said codes.[/quote]

Well I believe he's asking because the previously said method of retrieving a pre-order is no longer available. The only current alternative appears to be pre-ordering from Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The demo is getting wide release (ie: no code required, just download it) on November 11th. That's still a good week before release, so the goofy preorder bonus tactic won't really cannibalize any sales a demo usually generates.

[quote name='johnnyrocker360']Yeah i just played the demo for like an hour and it's amazing. I really can't wait for the full game to come. It's going to be super super wicked![/quote]

The beauty is this only seems like 1/3rd of the entire first level (of four total, I think). The airport one seems like an odd choice. But, heck, at last it's not doing a gimmicky shopping mall level. I'm glad to see for once a different Romero movie being used as subtle inspiration. I can't fucking wait to play the farm chapter. Please let there be farmhouse to take refuge in.

This game would be just a hair better if we could barricade in one building, using the same system where you heal people but to "heal" windows and doors by adding planks or shoving fridges up agaisnt them. Maybe a DLC mode in the future where you just see if you can outlast a timer boarding up and re-boarding up windows while zombies try to bust in from every entrance. Like the 4 humans versus 8 other players that can only play as standard infected instead of the special classes. Shit, stuff like that would be a goldmine if a company ever put it in a game. With lobby options for fast zombies, slow zombies, humans being turned, needing to have your health go down to zero to die or just take a single scratch and have a countdown. Why oh why can't anybody put this kind of shit in a game even as a tertiary mode.

What would make this game perfect is if we could indeed barricade doors/windows. Like even if they were pre-defined...hit X to tip the refrigerator in front of the door/window, or hit X to push the couch against the door...etc.

EDIT: COD5 has a zombie survival mode which is like what you described, but i really think it would be better suited for Left 4 Dead.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The demo is getting wide release (ie: no code required, just download it) on November 11th. That's still a good week before release, so the goofy preorder bonus tactic won't really cannibalize any sales a demo usually generates.

The beauty is this only seems like 1/3rd of the entire first level (of four total, I think). The airport one seems like an odd choice. But, heck, at last it's not doing a gimmicky shopping mall level. I'm glad to see for once a different Romero movie being used as subtle inspiration. I can't fucking wait to play the farm chapter. Please let there be farmhouse to take refuge in.

This game would be just a hair better if we could barricade in one building, using the same system where you heal people but to "heal" windows and doors by adding planks or shoving fridges up agaisnt them. Maybe a DLC mode in the future where you just see if you can outlast a timer boarding up and re-boarding up windows while zombies try to bust in from every entrance. Like the 4 humans versus 8 other players that can only play as standard infected instead of the special classes. Shit, stuff like that would be a goldmine if a company ever put it in a game. With lobby options for fast zombies, slow zombies, humans being turned, needing to have your health go down to zero to die or just take a single scratch and have a countdown. Why oh why can't anybody put this kind of shit in a game even as a tertiary mode.[/quote]
I can see that you're definitely a zombie fan.
I'd love to see something like that (especially a game where one scratch/bite=UNDEAD. Why are there so many immunes in zombie games?) but it's just a design choice. Turning into a zombie with no recourse to healing is a steep penalty, and you'd have to give the players lots of options to avoid being bitten. It's a lot more work than making them shoot at fast zombies, and on expert mode, that's enough of a challenge. But offering a long co-op campaign like L4D's with an infection rate that increases as it goes along... the thought alone is orgasmic.

Oh shit, I gotta get COD5 now for sure.

ScallionN, yeah fighting that many zombies at the speed they move takes strategy enough. I suppose a mode where you could become infected and turned would be best suited with zombies instead of infected (ie: slow instead of fast). It you enforced the headshot rule and only allowed basic weaponry (no assault rifles, just revolvers, deer rifles, etc.), playing as a slow zombie you might be able to close the gap and actually hurt a human, provided they had mediocre aim.

just played the of demo of this and it is quite simply badass...I love that panicky feeling when you get rushed by the zombies and it seems overwhelming...this whole game reeks of awesome

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I might just buy this on PC. Will the 360 have custom maps or no?[/quote]

of course not.. well thats my guess. If you have a gaming pc, it should be better on the pc. Just look at the demo, on the pc demo they have already modded it to include being able to play as zombies including a smoker, and unlocking a higher level called "epic"

[quote name='markingsmart']Another code:

R3XT9-YP87H-JM964-PW43J-84RYY[/QUOTE]

Used it..

Thank you! I was just about to go pre-order just to get the code today.

this game is amazing........

I am sure there is no lame ass "resident evil" like story where its about what is going on. I love how its all about surviving. WOW

I beat normal then went right to the next difficulty immediately.

Going to still pre-order and on top of that looks like I will finally renew my Gold membership.

If anyone has a code they can spare, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE e-mail it to me. I know it goes free on Tuesday, but I have a friend I want to play co-op with tonight.

Just amazing. With so many ads around the city I was thinking this was being overhyped, after playing the demo its not at all.

RELOADING!

bread's done
Back