Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='benjamouth']I'm gonna say no, if it wasn't a default setting then I didn't.

I'm not giving up on the game just yet, I'll try it in co-op tonight. I think this might just be a bad demo. I've been fooled by bad demos before on FEAR and Forza 2.[/quote]

Co-op is really the only way to play this game. The AI for your partners in single player is actually pretty good, but there is nothing like teaming up with 3 other people on Advanced or Extreme (which is insanely hard) and trying to make it through alive.

Just when you think you have an area locked down and start to relax, a hoard of 50 zombies comes bum rushing from behind. Good times.

And yeah, don't startle the witch!

[quote name='mang9432']for those of you that found it a bit boring, I'd up the difficulty level. The game becomes a lot better on the harder levels.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

A simple upping of the difficulty makes this game go from good, to great. I was playing with two other friends, and we breezed through the demo on normal. So, we decided to up the difficulty one.

BAD, but yet GREAT idea. We made it past the first level without too much trouble, but the second level... we were stuck and ended up trying to beat it for over an hour and a half.. we could not pass that subway alive, and when we did, the horde ended up killing us.

After over an hour and a half, we somehow got lucky, and finally beat it. Now, we have to try it on Expert.. I can't wait.

This is going to be one of the best games of the year. I enjoyed the demo so much. We played it three different times and it was never the same. Different things happened all the time. I can't wait until the full game is released.

One of the cool things we did is at the end of the second chapter there are some gas cans in the area. You can place them on the floor and start a massive fire to help stop the horde after you open the overhead door.

[quote name='flybrione']This is going to be one of the best games of the year. I enjoyed the demo so much. We played it three different times and it was never the same. Different things happened all the time. I can't wait until the full game is released.

One of the cool things we did is at the end of the second chapter there are some gas cans in the area. You can place them on the floor and start a massive fire to help stop the horde after you open the overhead door.[/quote]

Yeah, those gas cans are great. I just played a few games at lunch and we beat the 2nd level and were just milling around on the catwalk taking out the occaisonal hunter or boomer. We were all pretty badly injured (had a nasty run-in with a witch during the final zombie rush) and we knew we should probably just head into the safe room and call it quits.

One of our "teammates" picked up a gas can, chucked it at the other 3 of us and shot it with his auto-shotty.

Needless to say we all died. For some reason I found it hilarious but the other 2 victims didn't.

They work well against zombies too.

You story folks continue to amaze me. I played the PC demo last night and thought about how cool it was to shoot zombies in the head with my M16 along with three other friends. The game doesn't pull any punches or waste my time - it puts me right into the thick of it.

Do we really need an epic plot here? One that surely would be sub-B movie quality as video game stories usually are?

\\:D/

[quote name='MisterHand']Tried the demo last night. It's pretty damn cool. At one point, we got a message that one of us had "awoken the Witch". "Is that bad?" I asked. It turns out that yes, it is bad. Very very bad.[/QUOTE]

I read about the witches on the wiki page. So, when I played the demo I made sure to wake her up. lol. She fucking raped me.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I was really pumped for this game but after playing the demo...

Meh is the best word I can think of. It was fun sure, but it seemed pretty dull as it went on. You go into a room, kill all the Zombies, maybe collect ammo, go into the next room, kill all the Zombies. Repeat. Occasionally kill a Hunter or the fat zombie that explodes. There really wasn't anything tactical outside of helping your teammate who sometimes may have gotten caught by a Hunter or a Licker. I found myself pretty much strafing and shooting at the massive hordes of Zombies. I expect a higher level of teamwork, but really it seemed like anyone could just run n' gun with their other 3 teammates and you'd all be OK.

Maybe it's because when I played, I was playing with randoms where there was close to zero mic chatter I dunno.

Gotta say though, kinda let down. Might have to change my pre-order money to something else...[/quote]

Pretty much how I felt. The game felt way too PC for my tastes (fast moving player and enemies). Seems like it would be the perfect fit for a keyboard/mouse setup, but not for the 360 controller. (Yes, I know who Valve is, etc.)

I played with a friend, who was also disappointed. It's probably a rental for me, at the most.

I played it Normal last night, and wasn't too impressed; it's not bad by any means, but the experience felt a little empty, a bit too straight-forward.

But I'll take the 'up the difficulty' advice and give it another shot.

I was just in a match where I was downstairs and another survivor got hit with boomer puke. I watched a train of about 50 zombies run past at full speed but all with their faces turned at me. Surreal.

played a few rounds online last night. Had a blast, cept when my teammates weren't paying attention and I died. I mean really, I was right behind them. only thing they had to do was turn around.

There is a huge article about Valve in the most recent Game Informer and they have a section about Left 4 Dead. In one of the screenshot captions, it says there are other goals besides "get from point A to B" like defensive scenarios.

So it soulds like some of the levels may involve staying in one building and defending it against a constant zombie rush. That would be pretty fun as well.

I liked the demo enough to keep my pre order, but as some of you said I really don't like the fact that the zombies are sooooo fast. When you get puked by the bomber there are 1000 zombie on you that seem to appear out of no where. They aren't even on the screen before hand

[quote name='hx214']I liked the demo enough to keep my pre order, but as some of you said I really don't like the fact that the zombies are sooooo fast. When you get puked by the bomber there are 1000 zombie on you that seem to appear out of no where. They aren't even on the screen before hand[/QUOTE]

The none existent ones are usually else where shambling, but are then attracted by the smell.

I'll pick this one up for PC definitely.

I had the absolute pleasure of playing this demo for 6 hours yesterday and my only qualms with the game is the lack of challenge on Normal difficulty and noteworthy scares. Otherwise it's so damn addictive I love it and can't wait to play it again tonight. Last night was the first time I played it and I managed to conquer Expert with a random team. A fun yet frustrating experience to which we made a pack to play again in the campaign when the real game comes out. Advanced and Expert level Tanks are RIDICULOUS.

Ugh.

After we died for the seventh time due to cheap Boomer spawn attacks and Smokers strangling us long enough for Hunters to finish the job we changed our plan of attack. So much so soon realized if two of us didn't become safe room sprinters while the rest decoyed and healed we weren't going to conquer Expert, but it worked. A very intense and completely hilarious experience I look forward to experiencing again.

I'm slowly but surely falling in love with this game. If you see me on Live send me a game request. I could always use players that don't suck at this game. :D

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']There is a huge article about Valve in the most recent Game Informer and they have a section about Left 4 Dead. In one of the screenshot captions, it says there are other goals besides "get from point A to B" like defensive scenarios.

So it soulds like some of the levels may involve staying in one building and defending it against a constant zombie rush. That would be pretty fun as well.[/quote]

That might be a reference to minor events like that generator room at the end of level 1.2. Where you open the door and have to defend against a wave before you can continue on.

I'm getting sick of these "mutant" zombies. I don't want these fucking boomers, or lickers or any other BS. I want WALKING DEAD PEOPLE!!!! I'll pass ont his on for now. Apperently no one has learned from Dead Risings' sucsess.

Yeah this demo was pretty awesome.
Is it JUST online co-op? Any local? 4 player local, too? :whistle2:s

Can you do a mix of local and online co-op?

[quote name='lilboo']Yeah this demo was pretty awesome.
Is it JUST online co-op? Any local? 4 player local, too? :whistle2:s

Can you do a mix of local and online co-op?[/quote]

Online. Local. Mixed.

Eh, I don't know, I wasn't really feeling the demo. I usually love zombie shooters, but this just didn't feel right. I wasn't very impressed by the Point A to B thing, which didn't work for some reason here. Nor was I impressed by a lack of story. I don't think I can stand "No story, just kill zombies" play for the whole game. The levels seemed short, so short that I think I did the first one in maybe ten minutes, and the second wasn't that long either. I can't speak for online co-op, seeing as I have not done that yet.

The multiplayer might make this game good, but, I don't know. I might buy it, but, it's not one of my Must Buy's right now. I had hopes for this game when I first heard about it, but now, not so sure.

I don't mind the game "not having a story." It adds to the experience of not knowing what the hell is going on, like if it happened in reality. I think that's what they were striving for. Also, the writing on the safe-house walls gives you a little idea of the "story", much like Portal.

[quote name='Nex Antonius']I don't mind the game "not having a story." It adds to the experience of not knowing what the hell is going on, like if it happened in reality. I think that's what they were striving for. Also, the writing on the safe-house walls gives you a little idea of the "story", much like Portal.[/quote]

See, but I enjoyed the simplicity of Portal. This just feels like another generic shooter, IMO.

I actually liked the point A to point B and lack of story, gave it a nice arcade-y feel; strange as it sounds it's a nice break from the norm.

Has anyone walked outside of the subway safe house only to find a tank waiting on them right when you went out? I tried running into the bathroom and shutting the door while my teammates were being killed outside, but the tank found me. :cry:

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Has anyone walked outside of the subway safe house only to find a tank waiting on them right when you went out? I tried running into the bathroom and shutting the door while my teammates were being killed outside, but the tank found me. :cry:[/quote]

Was that with us? I remember something happening like that, also.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Has anyone walked outside of the subway safe house only to find a tank waiting on them right when you went out? I tried running into the bathroom and shutting the door while my teammates were being killed outside, but the tank found me. :cry:[/quote]

Do you mean the safehouse at the end of the first chapter or the safehouse at the end of the second chapter?

Wow, downloaded this demo, and I can't wait. Been hooked on the co-op missions from Resistance 2, so another co-op oriented game is right up my alley right now.

[quote name='neverletthem']See, but I enjoyed the simplicity of Portal. This just feels like another generic shooter, IMO.[/quote]
Agreed. Might as well just be some sort of alien for how it plays. Not at all the zombie apocolips shooter I've been waiting for. Sadly this falls into the "pass" collum. More time for Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge and Gears 2 I guess.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I'm getting sick of these "mutant" zombies. I don't want these fucking boomers, or lickers or any other BS. I want WALKING DEAD PEOPLE!!!! I'll pass ont his on for now. Apperently no one has learned from Dead Risings' sucsess.[/quote]

A assure you that the majority of people will love this game when it comes out and nobody will be talking about dead rising.

super slow moving zombies wouldn't make for a good fps, well maybe for people who set every game they play to the easiest setting or enjoy shooting fish in barrels maybe...

[quote name='cochesecochese']Do you mean the safehouse at the end of the first chapter or the safehouse at the end of the second chapter?[/QUOTE]

The safehouse you start out in on Chapter 2. The one with the bathroom in it.

[quote name='Caro']super slow moving zombies wouldn't make for a good fps, well maybe for people who set every game they play to the easiest setting or enjoy shooting fish in barrels maybe...[/quote]

Though I don't mind this game's use of the "infected," zombies would work out, as well. You would just need a ton of them. That's the scary thing about zombies. They overwhelm you. Either way, more zombie games is a good thing.

So I was playing the demo with a few people over Live. We zoomed through Normal and Advanced with no problems. But when we got to Expert we found ourselves dieing round after round. We spent about 2 hours in the subway due to the tank and witches. Then I realized everyone has left the game a while ago, leaving the bots to help me. I was playing with bots the whole time. And talking to myself as well....

I really liked the demo. It's just too bad the trailer is ten times more exciting that the real thing. It's to be expected of course, but I was expecting a little more from the gameplay.

Did anyone else just use twin pistols because it had unlimited ammo? I had that and switched out my Uzi for a shotgun and had zero problems with anything.

[quote name='depascal22']I really liked the demo. It's just too bad the trailer is ten times more exciting that the real thing. It's to be expected of course, but I was expecting a little more from the gameplay.

Did anyone else just use twin pistols because it had unlimited ammo? I had that and switched out my Uzi for a shotgun and had zero problems with anything.[/quote]

What difficulty are you playing on?

[quote name='depascal22']
Did anyone else just use twin pistols because it had unlimited ammo? I had that and switched out my Uzi for a shotgun and had zero problems with anything.[/quote]
I started walking around with twin pistols when I noticed they're fairly effective and saved the other weapons for larger encounters.

I watched the 1UP Show hands-on. While I now want it more than I did a week ago, I think it's not worth the initial 60 dollars. From what I gather, Left 4 Dead is a very short game, but the AI director adds replay value because it changes things per play-through. What sparked my interest was looking at the game through the eyes of a zombie. Playing as a zombie looks like a ton of fun.

bread's done
Back