LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up castle siege set for $30 at the wal-mart in temple, pa yesterday. The shelf tag said $50 and a clearance sticker on the box said $50, but it rang up $30. They had at least 6 more on the shelf.

My son got the Jungle Cutter for xmas and we put it together this morning. I wasn't thrilled about this set and never intended to buy it but I kind of like it. If you ever want to build any kind of tank it has nice wheels and treads for that. The saw blades spin as you roll it and it comes with three trees.

My sister got me the 3 remaining IJ Crystal Skull sets for xmas. So now I have all the IJ sets besides the two new ones.

I stopped by Walmart but they had been wiped out for Xmas. I also checked Target which had several sets 30% on clearance but nothing really grabbed me. Most of them were City and SW.

[quote name='brennok']I stopped by Walmart but they had been wiped out for Xmas. I also checked Target which had several sets 30% on clearance but nothing really grabbed me. Most of them were City and SW.[/QUOTE]

Which city sets? I'm interested :)

Truth be told I didn't really play close attention. They had all the Lego in a clearance aisle but only a few had clearance stickers. I checked some of the Agent and Castle sets but they were regular retail.

They were mostly 49.99 sets for 37.98. I want to say one was the SW hyperdrive #7661, the police seaplane #7723, and the coast guard truck with speed boat # 7726. I didn't check any of the IJ sets.

If I run back out I will let you know for sure. I am curious if my Walmart dropped the castle siege to $30.

[quote name='brennok']
They were mostly 49.99 sets for 37.98. I want to say one was the SW hyperdrive #7661, the police seaplane #7723, and the coast guard truck with speed boat # 7726. I didn't check any of the IJ sets.
[/quote]

Oh, so just a bunch of overpriced shit anyways. :lol:

Lol yeah. Most looked like the clearance price made them equal to average .10 per brick so nothing at all to get excited about. I stopped at the local Super Target and another Walmart who had absolutely nothing.

well I picked up the two cheap power miners sets... they dont' look all that great and for 15 bucks... meh.

but they are new...

I thought they would mark down the drill set from MM but no, still 10.

they had like SW sets on clearence but I didn't find any castles :(

I need another one!

I can't find a King's Siege Castle in AZ for the life of me... I've checked three Wal-Marts, a Toys R Us, and the Lego Store. I guess I'll have to break down and grab one online.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueWingX']I can't find a Kin'g Siege Castle in AZ for the life of me... I've checked three Wal-Marts, a Toys R Us, and the Lego Store. I guess I'll have to break down and grab one online.[/quote]

Good luck with that. The normal price is $100, and it's getting hard to find them for that price on line.

My fiance got me a few LEGO sets from the LEGO store for Xmas, and with it is a box they let you fill up with pieces from choose a brick. Anyone have any idea of how FULL it can be? I intend to have it as full as humanly possible when I go in there.

[quote name='lordwow']My fiance got me a few LEGO sets from the LEGO store for Xmas, and with it is a box they let you fill up with pieces from choose a brick. Anyone have any idea of how FULL it can be? I intend to have it as full as humanly possible when I go in there.[/quote]

It is a little cardboard box correct? You get it for spending $75, I got one when the limit was $50, those things are great and you can stack them up nicely and get about $20 worth of LEGO in it. You can get more than you can with the $13 large cup.

It depends on the store, I never had an issue with my store. Just put as many pieces as possible in there, as long as they can tape it shut without the box exploding they don't seem to mind.

Yep that's the one... sounds good to me. I gotta make a list of pieces I'm looking for. My fiance grabbed me the fire station as my big set this Xmas, so I may go a good collection of red ones to improve that just a bit (plus it'll be good for my spyrius stuff I like to build). It's always good to have some extra pieces lying around, I'm sure I'll find some good ones I can use there.

[quote name='lordwow']Yep that's the one... sounds good to me. I gotta make a list of pieces I'm looking for. My fiance grabbed me the fire station as my big set this Xmas, so I may go a good collection of red ones to improve that just a bit (plus it'll be good for my spyrius stuff I like to build). It's always good to have some extra pieces lying around, I'm sure I'll find some good ones I can use there.[/quote]

I was lucky with my Fire Station, my mom got it on sale and then I got it as a gift, shortly after getting it LEGO S@H had a sale on the old bulk bags. So 50 red 1x4 bricks were $1 a piece, I bought about 3-4 bags. That was a huge mess, the poor people on the phone were like "yes random orders were being canceled" and just a mess. So I got 200 red pieces to fill in the sides of the station, which is nice besides the open sides, for $4.

Well, it was a LEGO-less Christmas in the Tybee household. Thought I was getting the motorized AT-AT, but wife apologetically told me that when she went to buy it from Amazon (where it was $120 when I put it on my list), it was no longer available and could only be found from another merchant for $200. So I got a very nice leather messenger bag (amongst other things) instead.

I went to a couple of walmarts yesterday and bought 4 IJ sets and the Dwarf Mine. Three were only 25% off, but I figured it was good enough. The best deal was the Temple of Doom, which rang up at $35, the only one at 40% off. I also broke down and bought the skeleton's tower from amazon for $38 using my 25% off amex coupon.

It's been a very slimming December for my wallet with all these legos :)

I went to a Target and a Walmart, not much left. The Walmart had no Castles, but did have a Dwarfs Mine for $45, the Attack Ship thing for $63 (they had several) and the big $90 alien IJ4 set for $63, but the box was open.

Target had nothing but the IJ tree cutter set, didn't check the price. I did get a Santa Mr. Potato head for $2.50, a DVD player and Veronica Mars season 3. :)

[quote name='encendido5']

It's been a very slimming December for my wallet with all these legos :)[/quote]

I'm thinking of it this way. There are no 2009 sets out now that I really want, and the prices increased so much that I'll buy a ton of sets now, and hope for price cuts in the future.

If anyone has a BJ's wholesale near them, they have some Lego on clearance, but probably extremely YMMV.

Mine had one SW V-19 Torrent #7674 for 37.98 and about 30 of the Police Pontoon Plane #7723 for 19.99. Supposedly the pallet was supposed to be a mix of IJ, SW and City, but I don't think I ever saw anything but the pontoon plane.

Oh maybe I have to check BJ's out. They had those two sets, the IJ Jungle Cutter, some Speed Racer set for around $30 each. Now they much be clearing them out for $20.

For $20 a piece, I'd buy whatever they have, that's at least 50% off.

Thanks brennok, you reminded me that I have a coupon for a free trial membership to BJ's that expires in a couple days. I'll look for the Pontoon Plane when I redeem it.

Went to Walmart, Target, and TRU. WM and Target were pretty empty. TRU had a lot of SW but I don't want SW sets and the giftcard in my wallet is burning a hole.

Its amazing how TRU charges more for everything. Today I saw these sets:
LEGO City Firefighter
LEGO City Police Officer
LEGO City Quad Bike
at a store called The Christmas Tree Shop for $3.49 while TRU is charging $6.99. Geez.

[quote name='bigdaddy']It is a little cardboard box correct? You get it for spending $75, I got one when the limit was $50, those things are great and you can stack them up nicely and get about $20 worth of LEGO in it. You can get more than you can with the $13 large cup.

It depends on the store, I never had an issue with my store. Just put as many pieces as possible in there, as long as they can tape it shut without the box exploding they don't seem to mind.[/quote]

wha?!

Tell me more of this box, any pictures and you get cookies ! :cool:

I had the large cup and had filled it with almost 900 pieces, grant it, it was alot of 1x1 and studs :D

[quote name='180husher']Found another Castle Seige at different Walmart for $30 and all the other clearance prices matched what I saw at my local store.[/quote]

I found one Castle, on the very high shelf... no tags, no clearance on there.. if they had 2... I would have picked them both up :D

But I just bought one... the wife gave me a dirty look, then I told her the price, then she knew I can't not purchase it :applause:

2 warring castles to build... that or one friggin huge one

they had a bunch of other sets too... I wanted the troll mine but paying 15 more than the castle... I just couldn't :p

I do have a 10 gc floating around here, and getting it down to 35 is not too shabby.

[quote name='Tybee']Well, it was a LEGO-less Christmas in the Tybee household. Thought I was getting the motorized AT-AT, but wife apologetically told me that when she went to buy it from Amazon (where it was $120 when I put it on my list), it was no longer available and could only be found from another merchant for $200. So I got a very nice leather messenger bag (amongst other things) instead.[/QUOTE]

LEGO kinda fell to the bottom of the pile here too, I got the fire station and the street cleaner (impulse) sets, but that was it. I'd rather get DVDs/Games and such myself than just LEGO for Xmas.

[quote name='xycury']I found one Castle, on the very high shelf... no tags, no clearance on there.. if they had 2... I would have picked them both up :D[/quote]

I went back to Walmart and found a couple Castles on a top shelf. At 30 I couldn't pass on them so I grabbed 2 lol. I figure for my first Lego build since the dark ages it would be a good place to start. Also with 2 I can see if I can still get the creative juices flowing.

They still have a couple left on the very top shelf without prices so here's to hoping they drop more if they don't sell.

I was hoping they would have some other ones on clearance that were returns but all they had were a bunch of Bionicle sets. I saw a couple of IJ sets at the Super Walmert in the area but they weren't priced and I just assumed they weren't on clearance. I may need to go back and check if they are a good deal. I think one was 7627 the crystal skull and I swear the other one was also a large set yet I don't see anything on Lego.com that fits.

Is it me, or are Legos very expensive -- why -- is making the plastic expensive -- is it the purchasing of the licenses, Star Wars, etc?

They talk about if you google it. Part of it is high quality plastic, and intensive quality assurance. But the licenses cause those sets to be more expensive per piece.

[quote name='lordwow']They talk about if you google it. Part of it is high quality plastic, and intensive quality assurance. But the licenses cause those sets to be more expensive per piece.[/quote]

Star Wars sets are just over priced ... at least I don't pay attention to the piece/price on those too closely.

but it seems like 09 sets are a bit over what the prices should be.

[quote name='xycury']Star Wars sets are just over priced ... at least I don't pay attention to the piece/price on those too closely.

but it seems like 09 sets are a bit over what the prices should be.[/quote]

Yeah, I found the new Darth Vader Tie Fighter today and had to get it...220 pieces at $30...definitely not cheap.

Grr. I bought a Batmobile Collector's Edition from someone on Craigslist and they said it was never put together. While putting it together I've already noticed that its missing 3 of the 4 tires. Now I have to wait to finish it to see if any other pieces are missing to email him and see if he has them still. Or I will have to buy the pieces online. Grr.

[quote name='xycury']

they had a bunch of other sets too... I wanted the troll mine but paying 15 more than the castle... I just couldn't :p
.[/quote]

Dwarfs, they aren't trolls. :lol:

[quote name='xycury']Star Wars sets are just over priced ... at least I don't pay attention to the piece/price on those too closely.

but it seems like 09 sets are a bit over what the prices should be.[/QUOTE]

someone in here (bigdaddy maybe?) was saying the prices for the sets are higher because when they were produced the oil prices were extremely high, and that causes an increase in production cost for LEGO. Hopefully, that means the sets for later in the year will be priced lower again.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Dwarfs, they aren't trolls. :lol:[/quote]

you're right :applause: I saw the big ugly brown thing and totally forgot what I was looking at.

the ship was discounted but not enough. Does WM go lower when clearencing?

[quote name='lordwow']someone in here (bigdaddy maybe?) was saying the prices for the sets are higher because when they were produced the oil prices were extremely high, and that causes an increase in production cost for LEGO. Hopefully, that means the sets for later in the year will be priced lower again.[/quote]

That was me, but that was just a guess, but it fits. Oil was close to 4 times more expensive, they don't make the pieces right before the sets are released. The pieces are made in huge bulk and then aren't made again for a while. So if the theory is correct I doubt the summer prices will be different. Of course it could also be that LEGO had never really raised the price of sets for the last 25 years and decided to do it in one big jump.

Plus once the price goes up LEGO won't lower it. You can't get a 2009 set for $25 that has 175 pices one year and then the next have the set have 300 pieces. I doubt LEGO prices ever go down.

And Walmart is stupid, the price will never go down on clearance. They had that damn SpongeBob set at one store in March for $30, the last time I went in early November it was still $30.

It was a Very Lego Christmas at my house this year. Each kid got four major sets (Creator Transport Ferry, the Skeleton Tower, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones, and some additional Castle and City sets), and the wife got me the Green Grocer set.

Also, at Walmart this morning, I saw a few boxes of the Rogue Shadow Star Wars set for $30 on clearance.

I stopped at another Walmart today while shopping with my sister and all they had were the IJ Temple of the Lost Skull sets marked down to 63 or 68 I can't remember which now.

Quick question. I stopped by my parents and picked up all my old Lego and I was disappointed to find they had all just been thrown in a couple of boxes and old kid's suitcases. What does everyone use to sort their collections? I really don't want to dive into the castle sets before I figure out how I will store them once I break them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xycury']Picked up
Crossbow attack
Public works
Rescue Building Set
All four Racers (small parts are nice, and the glow ones are neat)

shipping was >7

total was $45

I was hoping too for some real sets, but no.... Maybe they will put in some more later in the day.

Sorry, I don't think there is any free shipping.

damnit, I did forget to use a code to save 5 off 35...

I think it was SP118 but can't be sure.

$%^*(*& :bomb:

oh well....WAIT... phone call later and 10 minutes... the code is applied!

woot

got it for 40... not too shabby, eats up shipping to make it an affordable $2[/quote]

Just to update this... Lego sent me an email today.... with good news after I called them an hour later on friday.

Crossbow attack
Public works
Rescue Building Set
All four Racers

they applied the 5 off 25, then they were generous and gave me a 10 off gc, so for a total of only 28.60 charged.

happy day for me when that finally delivers.

[quote name='brennok']
Quick question. I stopped by my parents and picked up all my old Lego and I was disappointed to find they had all just been thrown in a couple of boxes and old kid's suitcases. What does everyone use to sort their collections? I really don't want to dive into the castle sets before I figure out how I will store them once I break them down.[/quote]

I have a 50 gal clear storage tote, with a lot of 1 gallon baggies, size, speciality, and type.
I have a large tackle case for mini figs.

I'd like to hear others about storing legos....

Found some pretty awesome Walmart clearance prices last night. I picked up Rogue's Shadow for $30 and my girlfriend picked up the Town Police Station and Jail for $69. She's that much closer to marriage material with that purchase...

[quote name='brennok']

Quick question. I stopped by my parents and picked up all my old Lego and I was disappointed to find they had all just been thrown in a couple of boxes and old kid's suitcases. What does everyone use to sort their collections? I really don't want to dive into the castle sets before I figure out how I will store them once I break them down.[/quote]

I use big plastic containers to keep things together in. My parts I use those tool drawers to make things easier to find. My minifigures are in older pretzel containers and then I use the older LEGO bulk tubs to keep in "space parts" and "windows" and such.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I'm thinking of it this way. There are no 2009 sets out now that I really want, and the prices increased so much that I'll buy a ton of sets now, and hope for price cuts in the future.[/quote]

I don't know, that market square is pretty tempting :)

But yeah, I think I can slow down my pace now that I bought so many.

[quote name='lordwow']someone in here (bigdaddy maybe?) was saying the prices for the sets are higher because when they were produced the oil prices were extremely high, and that causes an increase in production cost for LEGO. Hopefully, that means the sets for later in the year will be priced lower again.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured -- so lets see if prices drop as petroleum prices fall.

[quote name='bsesb2003']That's what I figured -- so lets see if prices drop as petroleum prices fall.[/quote]

I think I'll agree with what he stated below:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5303795&postcount=835

It doesn't make sense to raise it and lower it year by year.

It's probably in Lego's best interest to keep the price the way it is now, with the falling dollar and inflation, that the set prices are going to stay.

Just like a candy bar used to be a .25 and soda only a .05....

Scored a Castle Siege for $30 from Walmart. The guy working there couldn't believe because he bought one when it was $50 a few days ago. They still had 3-4 left, I wonder if it will go down more.

Some of the IJ sets were starting to go clearance too. Have to keep an eye on them.

[quote name='xycury']I think I'll agree with what he stated below:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5303795&postcount=835

It doesn't make sense to raise it and lower it year by year.

It's probably in Lego's best interest to keep the price the way it is now, with the falling dollar and inflation, that the set prices are going to stay.

Just like a candy bar used to be a .25 and soda only a .05....[/quote]

There are some videos showing how they store the 19 Billion pieces LEGO makes a year, the average storage time is only 2.5 months.

The Storage Area

Making of the pieces.

The LEGO Vault with every set ever made, and some never even released.

All LEGO related videos.

Finally found a Rogue Shadow at a Walmart for $30. (Hope Target puts this on clearance soon, but I haven't been to one Target that has Legos on clearance yet.) This walmart clearance isn't like the ones in years past...I've visited 4 different stores 50 miles apart and the system is ringing them all at the same prices. And people on here in other states are reporting the same prices. Hopefully they will copy Target method of systematically dropping prices every 2-3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back