LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='donniedroc']Sorry to go off topic, but what is everyone's thoughts on 7199 Temple of Doom? I really thought I wanted it, so my Mrs bought it at full price for my birthday at Target over the weekend. Now, I look at the back of it, and it is 37 inches long!! It's over half the length of my desk (which is where I would store it). I see myself building it, playing with it for 1/2 day, then it gets demolished and dumped into the kids' lego bin. If that's the case, I have other things I can burn $90 on.[/QUOTE]

I think if you really want it, find another place to put it other than your desk. Either that or return it and wait for a clearance sale on it. A lot of people reported walmart clearancing them out after christmas. I remember hearing they got as low as $35, though I never saw them that low myself. They seem to just be sitting at target so clearance is inevitable.

I love the Temple of Doom set. It is pretty space consuming, but the minifigs are FANTASTIC. It's also the only place to get those 4-stud wide rails. If you do take it down, don't dump it in the kid's bin--keep that baby in mint condition. I see it being a major re-seller/collector set in years to come. Up there with the Arkham Asylum--especially if the Indy line is now over.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Borders has some 2010 sets. They have the Snow Speeder ($25 Star Wars set) or whatever it's called and something else. So if you have a 30% coupon that's probably the best price you will ever find on it.[/QUOTE]
Really. Borders has been sending out the coupons on a weekly basis, but none of my Borders has anything new concerning LEGO. As a matter of fact, one of them is close to empty on sets since the new year.

Here's a video that some of you might be interested in checking out.

http://vimeo.com/9581676

I forgot to mention that the sale this week @TRU on the Star Wars Mon Calamari Cruiser is good in-store as well as online. I happened to be near my local TRU and they had plenty in stock since they had no tags or anything up to indicate that the set was on sale for $76.99. I caved and picked one up. >_< At least there's a 90 day return policy in case I change my mind. :p

Most of the SW sets I pass on just because I don't like the ship and vehicle designs in Clone Wars. I love the current series and the general CW universe, but they don't really translate into to being good Lego models, IMO.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Borders has some 2010 sets. They have the Snow Speeder ($25 Star Wars set) or whatever it's called and something else. So if you have a 30% coupon that's probably the best price you will ever find on it.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, where in Borders do they usually sell them? Never seen them before at Borders.

[quote name='gunm']Most of the SW sets I pass on just because I don't like the ship and vehicle designs in Clone Wars. I love the current series and the general CW universe, but they don't really translate into to being good Lego models, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all counts. I like LEGO SW, I like the Clone Wars TV series, but the Clone Wars LEGOs leave me cold. Maybe it's the minifigs with eyes that look like they were painted on black velvet. :roll:

[quote name='dashrendar']Out of curiosity, where in Borders do they usually sell them? Never seen them before at Borders.[/QUOTE]

They should be in the Children's book section. There's usually at least one side of shelving devoted to "educational" toys and book/toy combinations.

[quote name='gunm']They should be in the Children's book section. There's usually at least one side of shelving devoted to "educational" toys and book/toy combinations.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The kids' section is a joke. There is like 4 books and just a bunch of random kid's crap. However there is one little section with some LEGOs. There was another 2010 set but I can't remember. I'm planning on buying some the the $10 Creator sets that have minifigures. The one with a man and a cool woman and the other with a lime green hat. :)

[quote name='gunm']I forgot to mention that the sale this week @TRU on the Star Wars Mon Calamari Cruiser is good in-store as well as online. I happened to be near my local TRU and they had plenty in stock since they had no tags or anything up to indicate that the set was on sale for $76.99. I caved and picked one up. >_< At least there's a 90 day return policy in case I change my mind. :p[/QUOTE]
I think they've put Home One on sale 3-4 times since Christmas already? I'm hoping it gets to a point where they have so much inventory that's it clearanced out at 50% or even less! Next time LEGO makes a fan set, they should keep the price point below $50.

[quote name='gunm']They should be in the Children's book section. There's usually at least one side of shelving devoted to "educational" toys and book/toy combinations.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. That also explains why I had never seen it before.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']I think they've put Home One on sale 3-4 times since Christmas already? I'm hoping it gets to a point where they have so much inventory that's it clearanced out at 50% or even less! Next time LEGO makes a fan set, they should keep the price point below $50.[/QUOTE]

They didn't really advertise this, so I dunno what they are expecting from it this week. Could be because it's B1G1 50% off next week...

[quote name='gunm']They didn't really advertise this, so I dunno what they are expecting from it this week. Could be because it's B1G1 50% off next week...[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's in their weekly ad.

Yesterday was lucky and found a Troll Fortress for 50% off. It must've been a return because it wasn't tagged and it was sitting in the Lego aisle with no "spot."

Sometimes my obsession with hunting Target video game clearance deals pays off in unexpected ways.

[quote name='salty tbone']Yesterday was lucky and found a Troll Fortress for 50% off. It must've been a return because it wasn't tagged and it was sitting in the Lego aisle with no "spot."

Sometimes my obsession with hunting Target video game clearance deals pays off in unexpected ways.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I haven't seen that at a non-lego store in a while. Good find.

I just picked up a $127 Lego store gift card for $80 from a guy on CL. The question is how will I hide the new purchases from my wife? :lol:

I can verify that Border's is finally getting some new sets in. Stopped at one store that had the new red creator car set, some SW sets, and even the firehouse set for $80.

Boy, is the S@H deals page just sad looking...the same train track piece that has been there for over a year and that's it. Just mark the damn train track down to a few bucks and put it out of it's misery already.

[quote name='180husher']
Boy, is the S@H deals page just sad looking...the same train track piece that has been there for over a year and that's it. Just mark the damn train track down to a few bucks and put it out of it's misery already.[/QUOTE]

They can't do that then they will have nothing left "on sale"! :)

[quote name='salty tbone']Yesterday was lucky and found a Troll Fortress for 50% off. It must've been a return because it wasn't tagged and it was sitting in the Lego aisle with no "spot."

Sometimes my obsession with hunting Target video game clearance deals pays off in unexpected ways.[/QUOTE]

wow, so like $49? I picked it up for 80 and that's when I wasn't seeing it anywhere....

[quote name='prim4444']It was worded ALL, and I didn't see any exclusion listed. I have yet to see the physical ad yet though.[/QUOTE]

So, got the ad in today. Ad exclusions are Toy Story, Star Wars and Mindstorms.

[quote name='prim4444']So, got the ad in today. Ad exclusions are Toy Story, Star Wars and Mindstorms.[/QUOTE]

Maybe there is hope to go the first day of the sale and hope they dont know that yet. (Sometimes online messes up. :) )

*edit at least Atlantis isnt excluded this time around

That's ok, I was eyeing the non-licensed sets anyways. Nothing really I want from any of the exclusions unless they were really discounted.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Really. Borders has been sending out the coupons on a weekly basis, but none of my Borders has anything new concerning LEGO. As a matter of fact, one of them is close to empty on sets since the new year.

Here's a video that some of you might be interested in checking out.

http://vimeo.com/9581676[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, it was pretty interesting. That's crazy though - $200,000 on Lego... $1000 per month for 20-25 years.

It does make me want to start building though. What's the contest theme again :)

Also for what it's worth, my store got in a set of fixtures labeled "Lego Birthday Center" which I believe will be set up sometime in March. Anyone heard anything about this? The Lego rep that visits my store had no clue about this.

[quote name='mediviper']Maybe there is hope to go the first day of the sale and hope they dont know that yet. (Sometimes online messes up. :) )

*edit at least Atlantis isnt excluded this time around[/QUOTE]

I haven't been too big on Atlantis but the TRU exclusive set with the black monster is pretty damn cool. Might have to get that with another ~$25 set.

Here's the set I'm talking about:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8079&cn=616&d=70

I watched that documentary too, pretty cool. Definitely had me interested in going to Brickcon, if it wasn't all the way out in Seattle I'd be very interested.

[quote name='prim4444']So, got the ad in today. Ad exclusions are Toy Story, Star Wars and Mindstorms.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the update. I had a feeling SW wasn't going to be included, but Atlantis is tempting.

For those who are interested in LEGO events/conventions, here are the major ones scheduled this year (as far as I know).

BrickWorld - Indiana
March 13 & 14
http://www.brickworld.us/indy/

Bricks By The Bay - Bay Area, California
April 9-11
http://www.bricksbythebay.com/wordpress/

BrickMagic - North Raleigh, North Carolina
May 8-9
http://www.brickmagic.org/

BrickWorld - Chicago, Illinois
June 17-20
http://www.brickworld.us/bw2010/

BrickFair
August 7 -8
http://www.brickfair.com/
BrickCon
September 30 - October 3
http://www.brickcon.org/

Thanks for the list. They need some in the northeast, the horribly run LEGO one was huge and I'd like to go to a fan run one.

I just found out that the TRU rewards program only works if you buy $150 worth of stuff in 3 month periods that they define. So if you spend $145 the day before a period ends, you lose that total the next day. I checked my purchase history and I lost $140 totals twice! Next time I go to the store and they ask for my rewards card I'll tell them they can keep it.

[quote name='180husher']I just found out that the TRU rewards program only works if you buy $150 worth of stuff in 3 month periods that they define. So if you spend $145 the day before a period ends, you lose that total the next day. I checked my purchase history and I lost $140 totals twice! Next time I go to the store and they ask for my rewards card I'll tell them they can keep it.[/QUOTE]

My wife had the same problem and she called and complained about that too, they ended giving her a $10 gift card. I think its all bs now just like Best Buy.

[quote name='180husher']I just found out that the TRU rewards program only works if you buy $150 worth of stuff in 3 month periods that they define. So if you spend $145 the day before a period ends, you lose that total the next day. I checked my purchase history and I lost $140 totals twice! Next time I go to the store and they ask for my rewards card I'll tell them they can keep it.[/QUOTE]

yeah the website even lies to you on how much you have to go... if you check your homepage for it, it gives you a number, then if you drill down to it, it tells you another number.

It's just not worth it to save $5 for 150. 3% rebate? LAME. It won't even cover that TRU tax :roll:

It's better to just hit them during sales, and sales only.

I think all the cards are lame. Unless you get something on sale with the card, like the CVS Card but I hate them, it's not worth finding your card.

[quote name='180husher']Next time I go to the store and they ask for my rewards card I'll tell them they can keep it.[/QUOTE]

It's free. What's the problem? Sometimes you get rewards, sometimes you don't. I agree, not the best rewards program out there, but a lot better than what TRU used to do, which was nothing.

Stopped by one of my local Borders. They had a City Front Loader for $9.99, so I used a 30% off on it for $6.99 + tax. Current coupon expires today. Hopefully the next coupon will be at least 30% again.

Amazon has the Power Miners Thunder Driller for $22.99, not too bad. My son and I opened our Power Miners Granite Grinder and he was pretty excited. At first, I thought the rock guys were pretty ugly, but they're actually kinda cool.

Swung by Borders today and picked up the Atlantis Gateway of the Squid (#8061) set for $30.58 after the coupon. I guess I could have waited for clearance at Target but I've been eyeing the set for a bit and it showed up this week at Borders. They also had Toy Story, Creator sets, Ben 10, Star Wars and a few City sets and other odds and ends left over from earlier releases.

[quote name='BingoBrown']It's free. What's the problem? Sometimes you get rewards, sometimes you don't. I agree, not the best rewards program out there, but a lot better than what TRU used to do, which was nothing.[/QUOTE]

What's free? I've spent over $500 since joining their rewards program and have received NO rewards. I got nothing before the rewards card, and I got nothing after the rewards card...at least before I didn't get all the unwanted junk email from TRU.

If you're a member and have the receipts, I'd call TRU Customer Service and complain--you might get a GC out of it as another poster reported.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Or you might smarten up and buy toys from a store that isn't complete shit. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mostly get toys at Walmart or Target, but you know that TRU gets some exclusives like certain Lego sets and Transformers. Plus for a while there, they had some damn good deals on new release video games. Oh well, I'll just figure out a way to screw them over on this upcoming Lego sale!

[quote name='encendido5']Lego Farm is $54 at TRU today and tomorrow. Get out your rewards card :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nice deal on the farm, there's a $10 off coupon that came in the mail for TRU credit card holders ... knocks it down to 50% off. I just scored a Lamborghini Gallardo Lego set while I was a TRU today (hard to find, at least imo) ... note to people trying to hide sets, don't put it behind the Farm set that just went on sale ;)

Aw, if I had that $10 off coupon, I'd go for the Farm set today. I think I'll pass, though and try to get something from the B1G50% off sale this Sunday.

The new Borders rewards coupon is only 25% off. :p

Anyone else own Gateway of the Squid? Like I posted, I bought it at Borders yesterday but I saw it built at Target and now I'm kind of on the fence as to whether it's worth keeping or not. Any thoughts on whether it's a good set or not? Seems like a fairly simple build and I'm kind of thinking that now with the sweet Lamborghini set I just picked up, maybe I should take it back or wait for something better like the Grand Emporium and put the money towards that. Any thoughts?

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone else own Gateway of the Squid? Like I posted, I bought it at Borders yesterday but I saw it built at Target and now I'm kind of on the fence as to whether it's worth keeping or not. Any thoughts on whether it's a good set or not? Seems like a fairly simple build and I'm kind of thinking that now with the sweet Lamborghini set I just picked up, maybe I should take it back or wait for something better like the Grand Emporium and put the money towards that. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

well i don't think it's worth full price, but you said you got it for only 30 and change.

I'd probably pair it with another 40 at TRU to get them both at 30, but sadly nothing else is out yet.

Kinda makes sales like these suck even more. I would like to find it on clearance, but don't think I will have that chance.

I guess I'm waiting for the future sets of PMs and Atlantis along with all the new stuff for Kingdoms.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone else own Gateway of the Squid? Like I posted, I bought it at Borders yesterday but I saw it built at Target and now I'm kind of on the fence as to whether it's worth keeping or not. Any thoughts on whether it's a good set or not? Seems like a fairly simple build and I'm kind of thinking that now with the sweet Lamborghini set I just picked up, maybe I should take it back or wait for something better like the Grand Emporium and put the money towards that. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait on it myself. Atlantis is brand new, so I think I can hold out until it's on clearance (or better than 30% off at least).

I'm kicking myself on not getting Crystal Sweeper during Amazon BF. I was initially turned off by the Power Miners' garish color scheme, but really that series has some clever ideas and make for great play sets. I found a lonely $17 Thunder Driller today in the Walmart clearance toy section, so I went ahead and picked it up.

Well, if you're thinking Grand Emporium, then definitely hold off on the Atlantis set. Even if you bought it with the coupon, you can put that money towards a better set. I'm sure there will be plenty of them lying around for the next round of markdowns.

True, thanks guys, I think I'll probably either return this or sell it and put that towards one of the other sets coming out. I think I might try to return my Lamborghini set to TRU on Sunday and rebuy it with something else in order to take advantage of the TRU deal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back