Let the throttling begin: Netflix raising prices almost double in Sept

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Update 8 24 11
Just noticed Netflix was started enforcing streaming device limits (ie how many devices at once can stream) Guess this is so they can push their "family plan" is that is rumored

Netflix just announced that they are raising the price of their plans. They are splitting off the streaming and non streaming plans.

Stream only will cost $7.99 with no disc option
DVD only with no stream will be $7.99

Both 1 disc out at a time and stream will be $15.98. More discs out raise price more

edited to add more price
2 disc only $11.99

2disc with stream $19.98
3 disc with stream $24.99
4 Disc with stream $29.99

STAYS THE SAME
1 Disc out (2 max per month) $4.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']When the CEO even realizes how stupid it is to have to search twice, you know this wasn't thought out very well

Picture-44.png
[/QUOTE]

Yea for double searching ! God forbid they be able to connect the 2 sites to show what has what available.

I just don't see the point in getting this upset over something so small honestly.

Oh and the "You must be a fanboy because you defend them" is really childish and makes you look like a child. Just saying.

[quote name='ssjmichael']When the CEO even realizes how stupid it is to have to search twice, you know this wasn't thought out very well

Picture-44.png
[/QUOTE]

When the consumers can find holes/inconveniences in your company's new plan after hearing of changes to a service just hours later, you know you F* up. Or you really didn't care in the first place cause you wanna eliminate the less favored thing (DVD-by-mail service), so you branch it out and let it survive by itself. If it makes profit, maybe keep it, if not, good excuse to close that side completely.

[quote name='guardian_owl']To think of all the grief they likely would have avoided if they simply offered a $1 or $2 discount for a streaming and DVD bundle plan when they announced the increase back in July.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I would have complained much less if the had made a $ saving bundle. Brings the points stated above into more speculation. Obviously they must have though of offering a bundle for both services during the price increase fiasco unless they meant to separate em to begin with. This Qwikster change seems like the original intention, to drop DVD-by-mail. Why wouldn't you offer a bundle, unless you don't want people to have it together in the first place cause you wanna eliminate a part of that bundle.

[quote name='TerpsJunkie']So... I have a gift card applied to my account with 7 free periods still and it includes streaming and 1 DVD out.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you still have 7 free periods? When I click on "See gift details" on my account, it shows that they will be turning the gift card into monetary credit:

The regular price of the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is $15.98 (plus any applicable tax).
The remaining $11.32 from your gift will be applied toward your next paid period

[quote name='dmdragon']Did you just compare getting up every time you want to change the channel on your tv to clicking on an address bar and typing 10 letters, or better yet, clicking a bookmark?

Those 2 are not even remotely the same (no pun intended)

and yes, people are complaining, in this very thread even, that they are upset that they have to "search twice" now to see if it's available in streaming or dvd. So I don't think it is stupid calling that entitled. People seem to think that the company is only there to bend over backwards for them, that somehow they are not in it for the money or the business.

Bottom line is that it is about the money, and a company is going to do what it has to do to stay afloat. We don't know his exact reasons for splitting this, to you it may sound pointless and unnecessary, but I'm sure he had a very good reason to do it. I'm sure he didn't just wake up one day and decide this for no reason at all.

Also, how can you presume that it is worse? We don't know the plans that are coming of this. We don't know why they are doing this, and it could be for a good reason. Perhaps they get taxed less if they split it and they can someday lower the price of the dvd plans because of that. Maybe the studios said that if they split it and went just streaming that they would get more streaming content. He does not owe us an explanation, nor should we just assume that this is being done to annoy people, I think it's quite the opposite. Good or bad, he didn't just do this because "He's a big meanie"[/QUOTE]

One, you are defending an indefensible position. One day you were able to read reviews, add to the queue, blah blah blah, all on one site. Now you have to do it on two. This is obviously no problem for newcomers to the service that don't know any different, but for long time subscribers (like myself) it's an unnecessary hassle.

Two, if you read the interview Hastings just did, you can see exactly what his motivation was. He killed all his competition, got arrogant, and felt too big, and thought there was no way people were going to complain, and even if they did, they'd get over it.

Well he was wrong as wrong can be, which is why he has to go to the major media publications, hat in hand, and beg for subscribers back.

ME PERSONALLY***** Always thought the service was too cheap at 8.99 for streaming and 1 dvd. I had 0 problem with the price increase, and I only switched to streaming only, simply because I wasn't using the DVD service and saw it as an opportunity to save a few dollars and get what I really wanted.

That was the only thing that ever irritated me about this whole thing (as far as the complaining) was nobody ever took the time to think "Hey, I was getting a pretty sweet deal, and now I'm still getting a deal, compared to renting everything from a video store) but RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE all the same.

It's kind of sad.

[quote name='joshnorm']Its a feature that was there since day one. Now since they are "apologizing" and splitting the company I have go around and constantly check to see if things become available. Sure is it not at all difficult, but its a waste of time.[/QUOTE]

Exact-fucking-ly. Raise the prices and make the service less convenient. Great business strategy. Netflix is crumbling before our eyes. This is a case study in how to take a wildly successful company and run it straight in the ground and then rape its dead corpse.

[quote name='hero_icon_rolemodel']Are you sure you still have 7 free periods? When I click on "See gift details" on my account, it shows that they will be turning the gift card into monetary credit:

The regular price of the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is $15.98 (plus any applicable tax).
The remaining $11.32 from your gift will be applied toward your next paid period[/QUOTE]
This is what it tells me:
You have 7 free periods remaining on your Netflix gift.The remaining $11.98 from your gift will be applied toward your next paid period.

[quote name='dmdragon']People are so entitled, i swear. Having to go to 2 websites is a rather ridiculous reason to complain. It's so hard to go to 2 sites and search. I could understand the vitrol over the price increase, and while that wasn't their fault, it was a substantial increase, but people complaining and cancelling over having to do an extra search seems like the epitome of laziness to me.[/QUOTE]

It's not just a matter of having to search twice. If I could search twice, add the movies to my queue, and be done with it, I really wouldn't have that big an issue. The problem is that Netflix adds and removes content, particularly from their streaming services, all the time. In the past, I could add a movie to my DVD queue that wasn't available on streaming, and if it became available at some point later on before I'd gotten to it, it would automatically be added to my streaming queue. Then the next time I logged into Netflix on my PS3 or my iPhone, I'd see it there, and I could watch it if I wanted to, without having to do additional searches. Now, to see whether movies that I want to watch have become available in streaming, I'm going to have to regularly check for them. It is, at best, a huge pain in the ass, and at worst, I'll miss content that I want to see entirely because it wasn't there when searched for it earlier.

Oh, and yes, I'm paying for the service, so I am indeed "entitled".

It still boggles my mind that (G)Reed Hastings thought this would something that would appease upset Netflix subscribers. Like I wonder if he thought after he published the post that stocks would go up and it'd be received favorably, etc.. Because if he did, boy was he wrong

netflixstock.jpg

The stock was at $300 in July for those that weren't aware. I've never seen a company that was in such good graces with consumers fall so hard so fast

I did not know that would happen with streaming as I never really got into the dvd rental thing.

By entitled I mean people complaining about every little thing because they think they are entitled to having the ceo bend over backwards for them and do everything they say "because they're the customer". That kind of entitled bs pisses me off. The only thing people are entitled to here is to cancel their account. That's the way the world works, if you don't like something you stop doing it, bottom line.

If I don't like someone punching me in the face repeatedly then I will have them stop regardless of whether it may get better later. I suggest everyone who is upset just cancel, that is the only way you are going to be heard. And by cancel I don't mean cancel your dvd and keep the streaming. You must cancel EVERYTHING or they still get your money.

I really dislike when someone complains about something that is so horrible, but continue to give them the money. If you don't like it then cancel, complaining about it won't do anything at all. Getting stressed out about it won't do anything at all, in fact, those are probably going to hurt you way more than the company you are upset at.

I'm just saying, take a deep breath, realize that an entertainment item you use changing policies is not the end of the world. Just move on if you don't like what they are doing. That is how you make your voice heard to big business.

[quote name='dmdragon']I just don't see the point in getting this upset over something so small honestly.[/QUOTE]

Are you familiar with the idiom "the straw that broke the camel's back?" A small change in conjunction with other changes can become a major fucken problem. Thus, as a Netflix customer I am entitled to vent just as you are entitled to your opinion.

They couldn't call it mailflix?

At what point can stock holders just kick the idiots at the company to the curve?

[quote name='ssjmichael']It still boggles my mind that (G)Reed Hastings thought this would something that would appease upset Netflix subscribers. Like I wonder if he thought after he published the post that stocks would go up and it'd be received favorably, etc.. Because if he did, boy was he wrong

netflixstock.jpg

The stock was at $300 in July for those that weren't aware. I've never seen a company that was in such good graces with consumers fall so hard so fast[/QUOTE]

im sorry but if i got a stock at 150 last sept and it jumped to 300 of course i be selling

stock is WAY overpriced maybe a buy around 60

[quote name='hero_icon_rolemodel']Looks like you're golden then. You're smart for applying those giftcards.[/QUOTE]
I'm just worried that either I won't get credit at Qwikster or it'll get cut in half between the two.

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, and yes, I'm paying for the service, so I am indeed "entitled".[/QUOTE]

HAHA, exactly. We've been paying for a service. Now, that service is getting worse, and it costs more. We definitely feel entitled to at least the same level of service and the same kind of product we had before.

Things change guys, nothing stays the same forever. Just because I think I'm entitled to pay the same as I did for cable tv back in 85 does not mean that I will pay that, nor does it mean that I am entitled to pay for it. Everything goes up in price, you will never get the same product for the same price forever so I don't see why so many people are not understanding this. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is life.

[quote name='dmdragon']Things change guys, nothing stays the same forever. Just because I think I'm entitled to pay the same as I did for cable tv back in 85 does not mean that I will pay that, nor does it mean that I am entitled to pay for it. Everything goes up in price, you will never get the same product for the same price forever so I don't see why so many people are not understanding this. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is life.[/QUOTE]

Please quit while you're behind, seriously. This is getting embarrassing.

[quote name='dmdragon']Things change guys, nothing stays the same forever. Just because I think I'm entitled to pay the same as I did for cable tv back in 85 does not mean that I will pay that, nor does it mean that I am entitled to pay for it. Everything goes up in price, you will never get the same product for the same price forever so I don't see why so many people are not understanding this. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is life.[/QUOTE]

Honestly...seriously...I am going to pray he is trolling.

[quote name='Vap']How does the topic of Netflix go to "getting punched in the face" and "the price of cable in '85"?[/QUOTE]People who did poorly on the analogy portion of the SAT.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']

This just epitomizes to me how Netflix stock is going to drop to less than $150 a share (currently $287.29 as I write this). They have a monopoly as it is, and profitability out the roof, but they're so damn greedy they want to make as much money as they can. Hell, why not just have a Netflix channel on DirecTV and make it on demand. Charge $20 or $25 a month, and you can pull up any movie instantly in HD through DirecTV. If you're truly going to be that greedy, just do it already. Don't nickel and dime us loyal customers who were with you when nobody knew who the hell you were, or thought you would even exist in 3-5 years. We supported you when your stock was worth nothing, and this is how you repay us.[/QUOTE]

I hate to pat myself on the back, but this statement I typed exactly 2 months ago couldn't be more true. Right now their stock is at $139.60, and will drop below $135 a share today. Funny how one idiotic decision (to separate their streaming and movie by mail departments and charge separately for each) has ruined a once prosperous company. It'd almost be the equivalent of Amazon.com not offering free shipping anymore. Would ruin them.

I've never been the kind of person that enjoys saying "I told you so", but I'll gloat over this one. Netflix could fix this once and for all by going back to the way things were ($9.99 for unlimited streaming and one movie at a time versus $7.99 for streaming and $7.99 for one movie at a time), but the hubris of Reed Hastings won't allow them to admit they screwed up. Now having said this, Qwikster (horrible name) is more beneficial to me if they in fact have plenty of video games available for rent. Will all but put Gamefly out of business if they undercut their prices (which they most likely will- $9.99 for one movie/game at a time).

At the very least, Netflix should have 'grandfathered' all existing customers into the old prices, and just made the price changes effective to new customers earlier this month.

[quote name='kidkash03']At the very least, Netflix should have 'grandfathered' all existing customers into the old prices, and just made the price changes effective to new customers earlier this month.[/QUOTE]

True, but no matter what they did, somebody was going to be pissed off. I agree with many of the comments here in that Netflix is first and foremost a business, and doesn't owe it's customers anything. They provide a service, and if you're unsatisfied with the service cancel it and move on. However, there's no debate that their business decisions of late (raising prices effective September 1st; Starz debacle; and now Qwikster as a separate entity) have almost killed the company.

When I read an article stating that over 600,000 subscribers canceled their subscriptions at the beginning of September, I knew this was all going to happen. Qwikster may redeem them depending on whether or not they charge extra for video games (which they've all but alluded to), but I can see Blockbuster becoming the more viable option once they announce their unlimited streaming plan. I'm hoping they also add the option to return movies or games to a Blockbuster Express kiosk versus returning them to a store (most if not all my local Blockbusters have closed). You'd receive a credit good for another rental right at the machine.

I love how I have not personally insulted anyone in this thread yet everyone else is going straight for the personal insults. Just lets me know the mentality here. Please grow up and stop acting like you are in grade school, that is what is embarrassing.

And lets be honest here, how does everyone think that you get the same service for the same price forever. You will either eventually get worse service for the same price or better/same service for more. I honestly don't understand how this is new information for everyone, unless you live under a rock there is no way you don't know this. And don't bring up the price hike as meaning you should get better service, that happened months ago and at that time you did get the same service, but that changed as everything does.

And the price of cable in 85 shows that EVERYTHING changes, just because cable was 30 bucks back in 85 doesn't mean that it is going to be 40 bucks now, no matter how much I want the price to stay the same, it didn't.

And lets be honest here, how does everyone think that you get the same service for the same price forever. You will either eventually get worse service for the same price or better/same service for more. I honestly don't understand how this is new information for everyone, unless you live under a rock there is no way you don't know this. And don't bring up the price hike as meaning you should get better service, that happened months ago and at that time you did get the same service, but that changed as everything does.

And the price of cable in 85 shows that EVERYTHING changes, just because cable was 40 bucks back in 85 doesn't mean that it is going to be 40 bucks now, no matter how much I want the price to stay the same, it didn't.

I'm sure Netflix wishes every subscriber was like you. No offense but I couldn't disagree more. For one thing streaming isn't like the cable system in 1985 -- there's not nearly that much of a selection, so anyone who really watches movies consistently (or likes watching films in HD) needs at least the option of 1 disc out-a-time. They basically screwed everyone over and raised the rates of the 1 disc/streaming option, didn't give a good reason for doing so (in fact they've actually lost programming via the Starz service), and have done, so far, absolutely nothing in either justifying the price hike OR improving the service.

You seem to think it's just reality, a fact of life people have to get used to -- well, the reality for Netflix is that their service ISN'T that much of a necessity right now that consumers are just going to take this sitting down. Their streaming service frankly isn't that fantastic and between Amazon and others (yes, more expensive now, but perhaps better in the future), they're going to find increased competition. I think Netflix made the mistake of thinking "we're the only game in town and people can't live without us," and that's simply not true -- as evidenced by the bottom of their stock dropping out. That's where your analogy with the cable system in the '80s just doesn't work.

dmdragon fails to realize that people aren't just complaining because the price increased. We are complaining because of HOW MUCH it has increased in such a short period of time. If you honestly think a 65% increase is acceptable then you are wrong plain and simple. This is on top of an increase they already made in January. So in one year, if I kept both parts, my plan would have gone from $7.99 to $15.98. That's completely unacceptable and the 600K people who canceled and their stock prices plummeting proves as much. And now on top of that they're actually making it harder to use both services in tandem?

We all accept that prices change, but no one expects a 65% hike. A gradual increase would have been completely acceptable to most people I imagine. Say from $9.99 to $11.99 this year. And then maybe $12.99 a year from now, etc... I guarantee they wouldn't have lost as many people if they did it that way. Even Hastings himself admits that they were completely arrogant and simply expected their customers to accept whatever price Netflix dictated. When the CEO admits he's treating his base like shit, how on earth can you just accept the ultra simplistic view that "prices change, deal with it"?

Well I cancelled the streaming and kept my 1 blu ray at a timw. I wasn't using it anyway (fiance was) since the HD selection was pretty crappy. Certainly not worth paying extra for to me (not even counting that it'd be two companies soon).

Latest rumor is that Netflix has entered into an agreement to stream discovery channel shows although it will only include previous seasons and not current season. This would include discovery channel, animal planet, military channel but much to my disappointment ;) no oprah network ( discovery is 50% stakeholder)

Just read that a Financial Analyst believes Netflix is splitting up the company so they can sell it to Amazon.com. I could see them selling Qwikster to them, and keeping their streaming business as is.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Just read that a Financial Analyst believes Netflix is splitting up the company so they can sell it to Amazon.com. I could see them selling Qwikster to them, and keeping their streaming business as is.[/QUOTE]

Why will they sell their DVD mailing business to Amazon and then compete with them in streaming? It's more likely that they'll sell/merge their streaming business with Amazon and continue with the DVD business separately.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Just read that a Financial Analyst believes Netflix is splitting up the company so they can sell it to Amazon.com. I could see them selling Qwikster to them, and keeping their streaming business as is.[/QUOTE]

Is this analyst related to Michael Pachter by any chance?

Edit: LMAO it IS Michael Pachter who made this "prediction"
dotclear.gif
Netflix split to set up Amazon streaming merger?

netflix2.jpg

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings may have a trick up his sleeve as he separates the streaming and DVD-by-mail businesses: a sale to Amazon.
That's the theory floated by Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter today, and the idea makes sense.
Pachter upgraded Netflix shares to an "outperform" from "underperform." The analyst argued that Netflix formed Qwikster so it can be spun off eventually. From there, Amazon can easily buy Netflix, which would be a streaming business.
In a research note, Pachter said:
In our view, Amazon has always wanted to be in the streaming business, and has been constrained from buying Netflix due to tax considerations. The split-up of Netflix's business addresses the state sales tax issues raised for Amazon in having a "nexus." If Amazon were to acquire only Netflix's streaming business, it could triple the size of its content library, and gain traction as an industry leader. Netflix streaming has current content deals that provide it with access to movie content during the premium cable TV window, and Amazon has the financial resources to secure additional streaming rights, including Starz content. Netflix's financial flexibility is quite limited, while Amazon's is virtually unlimited.
The tax issue is that an acquisition of Netflix's DVD business would give Amazon more sales taxes to collect.
Pachter explained:
One of the impediments to Amazon's purchase of Netflix outright is the state sales tax rules. Under the rules in most states, any company with a physical presence in that particular state (a "nexus") is required to collect sales taxes for all retail transactions in that state. Amazon has carefully avoided nexus with virtually every state that collects sales tax, providing it with a significant pricing advantage over its brick-and-mortar competitors. Should Amazon have purchased Netflix's business outright (including the DVD-by-mail business), the company would have found itself subject to sales taxes in virtually every state that imposes a sales tax due to Netflix's extensive network of distribution centers. Accordingly, we never thought that Amazon would seriously consider purchasing Netflix, as such a purchase would severely (and negatively) impact Amazon's core retail Internet sales.
If Pachter's theory pans out, Netflix's separation of its DVD business makes more sense. Initially, Netflix looked like it was botching the customer user experience and annoying users. All true to date. But if Netflix, which will be the streaming business, becomes a takeout for Amazon, the separation and angst would be worth the trouble.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20...set-up-amazon-streaming-merger/#ixzz1YiGjIDyl
\

This guy has no fucking clue. Netflix is not going to part with their streaming service anytime soon. They know that's where the money is. They're doing this just so the streaming component won't be brought down by the dying DVD's by mail service. And Amazon clearly isn't going to take over Qwikster. Pach-man= IDIOT

I have to agree. Netflix makes most of their money from streaming, it would be stupid of them to sell off the highest margin business they have. I can see them selling the dvd part, but it likely won't be to amazon I don't think. It would probably go to a company that already has a dvd service set up so that company can squash some competition in netflix and get neflix's distribution centers in the process.

I wouldn't really consider amazon as being in competition with netflix now anyhow as was posted a couple of posts up. Amazon doesn't have a flat fee streaming model like netflix has, they only have the rental model and are on some tv's/blu-ray players. I think a more apt comparison to direct streaming would be Amazon and vudu since both are pay rental models and both are on tv's/blu-ray players.

Amazon has a streaming service that comes with Prime membership ($79/year). That's the streaming everyone's comparing Netflix's to, I believe.

I think Pachter also fails to factor in House of Cards. Netflix paid big bucks for that, there's no way they'd be trying to sell off the streaming entity with that on the horizon.

For as bad as Netflix looks now in the market they still have huge potential. The bad press and customer response won't last forever. Along with House of Cards, they'll probably get some more content to make up for the loss of Starz, and then there's their expansion into Europe. I think by this time next year, the stock will probably be back up to $300 or more. In other words, it's a good time to buy.

Wow it makes sense. Amazon and Apple would both be highly interested in buying Netflix.

The name recognition alone would be worth the cost and both of those companies could actually negotiate large contracts with content providers.

At it's current rate most of the "good" content is being pulled from Netflix because they can't pay the big bucks content providers want.

Apple and Amazon could do just that.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think Pachter also fails to factor in House of Cards. Netflix paid big bucks for that, there's no way they'd be trying to sell off the streaming entity with that on the horizon.

For as bad as Netflix looks now in the market they still have huge potential. The bad press and customer response won't last forever. Along with House of Cards, they'll probably get some more content to make up for the loss of Starz, and then there's their expansion into Europe. I think by this time next year, the stock will probably be back up to $300 or more. In other words, it's a good time to buy.[/QUOTE]

I had heard about that show but didn't now netflix had anything to do with it.

SSJ I'm going to apologize for earlier, while I don't necessarily see the point of getting upset over the split nor am I upset, I can see why some people would be. It is not so much that they are splitting and making it a bit harder to use, it is more like a beloved company ruining itself and splitting itself right in front of your face, which I understand. If the same thing happened to amazon I would probably be upset that they were stupid enough to break up their company like that.

I shouldn't have presumed to know everyone's reasoning for being upset with the split. For all I know people are upset because they own stock and this is most definitely causing a drop in stock. Some of the reasons may not be good, but many probably are.

Again my apologies, no hard feelings man.

I canceled Netflix a few years ago because I never watched the movies quickly enough. Now that they raised the prices I doubt I will come back to them.

[quote name='dmdragon']I had heard about that show but didn't now netflix had anything to do with it.

SSJ I'm going to apologize for earlier, while I don't necessarily see the point of getting upset over the split nor am I upset, I can see why some people would be. It is not so much that they are splitting and making it a bit harder to use, it is more like a beloved company ruining itself and splitting itself right in front of your face, which I understand. If the same thing happened to amazon I would probably be upset that they were stupid enough to break up their company like that.

I shouldn't have presumed to know everyone's reasoning for being upset with the split. For all I know people are upset because they own stock and this is most definitely causing a drop in stock. Some of the reasons may not be good, but many probably are.

Again my apologies, no hard feelings man.[/QUOTE]

It's all good, no hard feelings on my part either :)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Is this analyst related to Michael Pachter by any chance?

Edit: LMAO it IS Michael Pachter who made this "prediction"
\

This guy has no fucking clue. Netflix is not going to part with their streaming service anytime soon. They know that's where the money is. They're doing this just so the streaming component won't be brought down by the dying DVD's by mail service. And Amazon clearly isn't going to take over Qwikster. Pach-man= IDIOT[/QUOTE]

Ironically the article I read was on Yahoo Finance, and not Michael Pachter. I agree that the guy is only right 1 time of out 10, so he has zero credibility in anything he says. He probably took what they said and went with it.

I cancelled the streaming service....so I guess I am in the minority. I'm a NEW RELEASE person, and until those are offered, I will always use the discs.

Plus, most Cable Companies are now putting a CAP on Internet usage (**coughCOMCASTcough**), so if I were to stream HD movies EVERY night, I might hit the cap.

bread's done
Back