Let the throttling begin: Netflix raising prices almost double in Sept

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Update 8 24 11
Just noticed Netflix was started enforcing streaming device limits (ie how many devices at once can stream) Guess this is so they can push their "family plan" is that is rumored

Netflix just announced that they are raising the price of their plans. They are splitting off the streaming and non streaming plans.

Stream only will cost $7.99 with no disc option
DVD only with no stream will be $7.99

Both 1 disc out at a time and stream will be $15.98. More discs out raise price more

edited to add more price
2 disc only $11.99

2disc with stream $19.98
3 disc with stream $24.99
4 Disc with stream $29.99

STAYS THE SAME
1 Disc out (2 max per month) $4.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doubledown']I cancelled the streaming service....so I guess I am in the minority. I'm a NEW RELEASE person, and until those are offered, I will always use the discs.

Plus, most Cable Companies are now putting a CAP on Internet usage (**coughCOMCASTcough**), so if I were to stream HD movies EVERY night, I might hit the cap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we are planing on moving and it pains me to leave Fios and go to fucking Comcast (even though Fios is in the area its not in my neighborhood yet) and Fios wont give me a idea of when they plan on expanding a mile down into my neighborhood...

I think I'm going to cancel my subscription completely. I already have the Amazon Prime video service and I'm just going to try Blockbuster's free month trial out for discs. Now I just need a Roku box to stream Amazon to my TV!

[quote name='joshnorm']Yeah we are planing on moving and it pains me to leave Fios and go to fucking Comcast (even though Fios is in the area its not in my neighborhood yet) and Fios wont give me a idea of when they plan on expanding a mile down into my neighborhood...[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why the uproar of the Comcast cap. My cap is 250GB a month, and with all of the streaming, gaming, surfing, etc I do, I still barely break 100GB a month. If I really try I can hit 150. Unless you are doing stuff torrent related, who the hell needs more than 250GB?

[quote name='sp00ge']I don't understand why the uproar of the Comcast cap. My cap is 250GB a month, and with all of the streaming, gaming, surfing, etc I do, I still barely break 100GB a month. If I really try I can hit 150. Unless you are doing stuff torrent related, who the hell needs more than 250GB?[/QUOTE]250GB over a 30 day month is 8.33GB per day. So, unless you're pulling down that much per day all the time, you're not likely to hit the cap. If you use 2GB one day, then you could use 14.66GB the next, and so on.

I'm supposedly getting a 250GB cap from AT&T U-Verse, though they still haven't implemented it and that was supposed to happen in May.

[quote name='shrike4242']250GB over a 30 day month is 8.33GB per day. So, unless you're pulling down that much per day all the time, you're not likely to hit the cap. If you use 2GB one day, then you could use 14.66GB the next, and so on.

I'm supposedly getting a 250GB cap from AT&T U-Verse, though they still haven't implemented it and that was supposed to happen in May.[/QUOTE]

well, that's if his ONLY bandwidth usage is from netflix. you got to consider all his other computing needs. just doing daily stuff I can average 10 gigs a day in usage. and doesn't include downloading heavy files etc... (my average can break 400-500 gigs a month)

[quote name='wormraper']well, that's if his ONLY bandwidth usage is from netflix. you got to consider all his other computing needs. just doing daily stuff I can average 10 gigs a day in usage. and doesn't include downloading heavy files etc... (my average can break 400-500 gigs a month)[/QUOTE]

And are all those legal downloads? :roll:

Sp00ge's main point was that unless you're into "torrent related stuff" you're not likely to hit the cap anyway. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but I would agree with him.

[quote name='wormraper']well, that's if his ONLY bandwidth usage is from netflix. you got to consider all his other computing needs. just doing daily stuff I can average 10 gigs a day in usage. and doesn't include downloading heavy files etc... (my average can break 400-500 gigs a month)[/QUOTE]What exactly are you doing with "daily stuff" that has you breaking 10GB a day?

[quote name='ssjmichael']And are all those legal downloads? :roll:

Sp00ge's main point was that unless you're into "torrent related stuff" you're not likely to hit the cap anyway. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but I would agree with him.[/QUOTE]

it's amazing the kind of bandwith you use when work from home via remote.

[quote name='wormraper']it's amazing the kind of bandwith you use when work from home via remote.[/QUOTE]

Unless you work for yourself then your company should be giving you a business line that likely doesn't have a cap, or at least a seperate line all together that they pay for

I work from home and my company pays for a TWC business class line for my setup so it has no direct relation to my home internet, completely seperate account.

[quote name='dmdragon']Unless you work for yourself then your company should be giving you a business line that likely doesn't have a cap, or at least a seperate line all together that they pay for

I work from home and my company pays for a TWC business class line for my setup so it has no direct relation to my home internet, completely seperate account.[/QUOTE]

our business only just pays for cable or dsl

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's not trying hard at all. Trying hard is coming out with something people would actually drop Netflix for. That isn't it by a longshot. I'm sure they've planned to come out with something like this for a while, independent of what Netflix has done lately[/QUOTE]

True, however I'm glad to read that they're eventually going to offer a similar subscription plan for non Dish Network subscribers. If they can undercut Netflix by offerering both Streaming and Movies by Mail for $12.99 or less a month (preferably $9.99 a month), then that's where I'm spending my money. I have my Netflix account on hold for a reason. To see if they'd realize the errors of their ways (with the price increase), but it's obvious they're too stubborn to care about their customers.

Any news on when the video games will be offered? It sure will be nice to have during this loaded holiday season for some of the games not on my 'buy immediately' list.

just posted on Amazon's frontpage:

Dear Customer, I have big news for Amazon Prime members - we've just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and - available on digital video for the first time - The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.
Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there's still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.
Prime instant videos can be played on more than 300 HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.
Millions have already joined Amazon Prime...

With more instant videos coming soon:
Learn more about Amazon Prime
If you're a Prime member, start watching now. If not, start your one-month free trial today.
Thanks for being a customer,
Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO
P.S. You can also watch movies and TV shows instantly at our Amazon Instant Video Store, where we offer more than 100,000 movies and TV shows for rent or purchase, no Prime membership required.

[quote name='ssjmichael']just posted on Amazon's frontpage:[/QUOTE]
Dear Customer, I have big news for Amazon Prime members - we've just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and - available on digital video for the first time - The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.
Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there's still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.
Prime instant videos can be played on more than 300 HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.
Millions have already joined Amazon Prime...

Without question, Amazon is the future, and Netflix is the past. R.I.P.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']
Without question, Amazon is the future, and Netflix is the past. R.I.P.[/QUOTE]

Only if Amazon can get widespread device integration like Netflix has. The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is that none of my TV-connected devices (or even my Sammy LED TV) support Amazon.

[quote name='sp00ge']Only if Amazon can get widespread device integration like Netflix has. The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is that none of my TV-connected devices (or even my Sammy LED TV) support Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Can you run an HDMI cable from your PC/laptop to your TV? If you can, it "supports" Amazon.

I'm consdering signing up on Amazon. $79 is a decent price for the year and the PRIME shipping has me addicted to it (since I have it free with MOM account). I believe I lose my Free Prime in November, so I'm tempted to re-up with a full account. Although, I agree that I would like to stream it to my TV/PS3 or something.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']

Without question, Amazon is the future, and Netflix is the past. R.I.P.[/QUOTE]

When Amazon is available on my Xbox i might consider it.

Netflix's streaming is a double edged sword. They keep adding good stuff like Breaking Bad recently, but I just discovered they're pulling The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection on the 29th. It's a great series and I sadly haven't watched them all yet.

The amount of stuff that has been removed from the stream is astounding. Tons of stuff that used to be in my queue is now in the Unavailable list

[quote name='doubledown']I'm consdering signing up on Amazon. $79 is a decent price for the year and the PRIME shipping has me addicted to it (since I have it free with MOM account). I believe I lose my Free Prime in November, so I'm tempted to re-up with a full account. Although, I agree that I would like to stream it to my TV/PS3 or something.[/QUOTE]

When my prime was up over the summer they offered me another year for 40$, to keep signed up.

[quote name='pjb16']Can you run an HDMI cable from your PC/laptop to your TV? If you can, it "supports" Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what a pain in the ass that would be. My desktop is not in the same room as the TV, and with 3 dogs and a puppy, I refuse to set the laptop down anywhere low, which is the only option.

Another option would be to get PlayOn on your console. I believe it has Amazon support. The only downsides are your computer has to be on, and PlayOn isn't free. There's a free trial though if you want to check it out

I cancelled Netflix, signed up for Blockbuster 1 at a time for $9.99. Have to say it went great on Friday/Sat/Sunday.

Received Rango BD in the mail and watched it Friday Night. (Stupid movie)
Returned it to BB and picked up the Voyage of the Dawn Treader (BD).
Watched it and returned it on Sunday.

On Saturday afternoon I plugged in my laptop to the TV (HDMI) and used Prime to watch Numbers Pilot episode. Worked awesome. By by Netflix. I don't even miss you, and I have saved money!! WOOHOO!!!

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, but what a pain in the ass that would be. My desktop is not in the same room as the TV, and with 3 dogs and a puppy, I refuse to set the laptop down anywhere low, which is the only option.[/QUOTE]

If you have a 360 or ps3 I believe Playon media server does amazon video. Not sure if it works with the prime video, but last I checked it had amazon on it.

[quote name='Ziltoid']When my prime was up over the summer they offered me another year for 40$, to keep signed up.[/QUOTE]

Cool....did you have a FREE one previously or were you a paying customer?

[quote name='Slappybob']When Amazon is available on my Xbox i might consider it.[/QUOTE]

Good point. The sad part is they'll probably have to sell the company to Amazon for that to happen, and even then I'd be surprised if Amazon changed the name to Amazon Streaming or Amazon Prime.

I received an email from Netflix requesting the disc I currently have to avoid a $14 charge. I have 7 days for them to receive it.

To those of you with Netflix Instant Stream only, make sure you still don't have any Netflix DVD's laying around before the price change took effect.

Add one more to the cancled netflix list. Steaming choices were ppoo and only getting worse. Sure they just signed a couple of deals but they don't go into effect until 2014. No thanks.

Red Box/Blockbuster will serve me better for now.

2014??? Good grief. I looked at the instant watch list last night and it was horrible. I mean it's just 8 bucks a month, and I have it there if I want it, but they really shot themselves in the foot with all their greed.

Netflix added all of the old Bond movies (Connery to Dalton) at the start of September, only to remove them October 1st. I watched a few I had not seen but what is the point of adding new stuff only to take it down a few weeks later?

[quote name='dashrendar']Netflix added all of the old Bond movies (Connery to Dalton) at the start of September, only to remove them October 1st. I watched a few I had not seen but what is the point of adding new stuff only to take it down a few weeks later?[/QUOTE]

All that's up to the studios and how long they let them put stuff up.

Better to have it up for a bit than not at all I guess.

[quote name='dmaul1114']All that's up to the studios and how long they let them put stuff up.

Better to have it up for a bit than not at all I guess.[/QUOTE]

Except when you put it in your queue with the intention to watch it when you have time, and when you finally have time, it's gone.

[quote name='sp00ge']Except when you put it in your queue with the intention to watch it when you have time, and when you finally have time, it's gone.[/QUOTE]

It's that very reason that I have my account on hold, and will probably never reactivate the streaming part of the service. I'm still on the fence whether I'll continue with Qwikster either, though I'm intrigued by having the ability to rent video games as well as movies by mail. I've always enjoyed Gamefly, but they never had the AAA titles available, and for $19.95 a month or whatever they charge, it's not worth it to rent 6-12 month old games.

I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach.

[quote name='sp00ge']Except when you put it in your queue with the intention to watch it when you have time, and when you finally have time, it's gone.[/QUOTE]

My point stands as if they never add it you never had the chance to watch it anyway. :D

Anyway, the bigger point is a lot of things people are annoyed at Netflix with in terms of selection is the studios being greedy and not wanting their stuff available to stream for long periods of time. It kills sales since people can watch it anytime they want on streaming why buy the disc?

It is frustrating though. I'll probably dropping streaming when I finish up Mad Men--but more because I just don't have the time to use it enough, and care more about finding time to watch a couple disc rentals a week since I'm mainly into watching newer movies. I'll definitely keep Qwikster with that as I don't want to hassle with having to pick up and return movies to Blockbuster or Redbox (and Redbox's selection is too limited).

Gotta agree with dmaul on this issue. Netflix is really turning into shit, but I cannot bust their balls for stuff disappearing quickly. It's all in the hands of the studios they are dealing with. If they say, "You can put such and such collection up for a month or two," I would rather see it go up for that time than it not.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Gotta agree with dmaul on this issue. Netflix is really turning into shit, but I cannot bust their balls for stuff disappearing quickly. It's all in the hands of the studios they are dealing with. If they say, "You can put such and such collection up for a month or two," I would rather see it go up for that time than it not.[/QUOTE]

I could almost agree with you... except that if they're going to do that, they need to do a much better job of publicizing the fact that these titles are available and that they will only be online for a short time. It's frustrating to add something to my queue one week, only to find that it's gone the next. Or to hear that something was there after it's gone.

I mean, sure, they can't do that with every single title, or it would be overkill. But you've got the James Bond collection for a month? Advertise the hell out of that shit. Especially given that they've got a fairly good system for making recommendations in place, they should be able to get the info to the members who would most be interested.

Otherwise, meh, if it's going to be totally hit or miss whether I even catch that it's there... I couldn't care less if they get it, honestly. I'd almost rather that they didn't, and that they put the licensing money toward something that they'll be able to keep around instead.

I use FeedFliks.com. Signed up for the free version and linked it to my account and they let me know every Friday which movies on my queue and recommendations are going off streaming the next week.

That's the best I know of.

They could just simply add a line after the description stating what time frame it will be available for. That way you'll know how long you have before it's gone.

DS9 is up! I watched the pilot yesterday and I've forgotten just about everything. I mean I know the characters and everything but the individual plot lines are almost brand new at this point since its been like 15 years.

Netflix is OK. I mean there is ALWAYS going to be more TV/movies up for streaming than I'll have time to watch so whatever. I do wish the studios weren't such greedy assholes but that's par for the course I suppose.

Right now I'm pretty happy with Netflix because I have been able to watch Breaking Bad to catch up with the newest season and Mad Men seasons 2 and 3 are next on the list.

Netflix just made me a very happy person. They now have the wonder years to stream. Watching right now! I can't be the only one that is pumped for this. Unfortunately, they did change the intro music to someone else singing :eek:(.

Ok, I think I've officially had it with Netflix now...

I've been waiting for them to get Hanna, which has been out in stores for a month now, but which they only finally got this Tuesday. I put it on the top of my queue, and sent the last disc that I had back timed so that they would receive it (and send me my next disc) on the day it became available.

Well, they didn't send me Hanna. Or the next two titles on my queue either for that matter. Instead they sent me Limitless, the fourth title down on my list. Ok, well, I had wanted to see it, so whatever. I pop it in my PS3, only to discover that it only has the theatrical cut on it, despite the fact that the retail version has an extended cut.

I'm done. Time to see what Blockbuster has to offer.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, they didn't send me Hanna. Or the next two titles on my queue either for that matter. Instead they sent me Limitless, the fourth title down on my list. Ok, well, I had wanted to see it, so whatever. I pop it in my PS3, only to discover that it only has the theatrical cut on it, despite the fact that the retail version has an extended cut.

I'm done. Time to see what Blockbuster has to offer.[/QUOTE]Every time I've seen mention of what Netflix sends out, there's always these "rental copies" that Blockbuster gets in-house to rent, and they're normally stripped out versions without special features, nor extended cuts of the movies.

I'm unsurprised that Netflix sent you the theatrical version of the movie, since I think that's what the studios are sending to Netflix and Blockbuster to rent out. If you want the extended version or the special features, you end up buying the retail pack of it.

Don't forget what they did with Sucker Punch, with the single disc/theatrical-only version and the three-disc/theatrical and extended versions on two separate discs.

[quote name='shrike4242']Every time I've seen mention of what Netflix sends out, there's always these "rental copies" that Blockbuster gets in-house to rent, and they're normally stripped out versions without special features, nor extended cuts of the movies.

I'm unsurprised that Netflix sent you the theatrical version of the movie, since I think that's what the studios are sending to Netflix and Blockbuster to rent out. If you want the extended version or the special features, you end up buying the retail pack of it.

Don't forget what they did with Sucker Punch, with the single disc/theatrical-only version and the three-disc/theatrical and extended versions on two separate discs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I expect to probably get the same thing from Blockbuster... Though the image on their site shows the cover of the extended version (you can clearly see the words "unrated extended cut" on it), so we'll see.

At the very least, Blockbuster doesn't (yet, at least) have the 28-day wait on new releases. Far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to give them a try for a month or two and see if they're any better. If they're worse, there's nothing stopping me from going back to Netflix. And even jumping away from Netflix for a couple of months helps to send the message that I'm willing to go elsewhere if someone else can do better.

Blockbuster is pretty similar. I've had Xmen First Class, Bridesmaids, and Thor at the top of my list along with two games. I ended up getting something way down at #7 on the list.

bread's done
Back