Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

A good tip, which I accidentally stumbled upon, is to hit start and change something in the settings as soon as it fades in after selecting new game. This will cause it to create a settings profile before it tries to autosave once the intro bit plays out thus eliminating much of that initial hitch time. (cuts down on the likelihood of a freeze there too as there's less drive thrashing)

PS3 version arrived and I put a few hours into that. The controls and interface on console are as awesome as the PC version is awful.

Skyrim is a console game through-and-through and should be played with a controller period. (at least until the mouse crap is fixed completely...those two tweaks do help a lot though)

One kinda weird thing I noticed on the PS3 is that it'll access the USB stick that I keep in there nearly every time that it accesses the HDD. I can't save to/load from USB that I've noticed but whatever.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']Just got the game for the 360, wondering if I should of got PS3 version instead :/[/QUOTE]

Ohhh! BTW, don't install the game onto your HDD if you're playing on the 360, it makes the graphics worse...Lord knows why.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Ohhh! BTW, don't install the game onto your HDD if you're playing on the 360, it makes the graphics worse...Lord knows why.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... that's one reason why. I am thinking it will look better on the PS3, even with any need for title updates...

[quote name='H4Y4TO']Yeah... that's one reason why. I am thinking it will look better on the PS3, even with any need for title updates...[/QUOTE]

I imagine it will, unless you have an uninstalled version of Skyrim on the 360. Then it will probably, honestly, be pretty much the same for the most part. I still have the feeling that the PS3 is capable of putting together much better graphics, although that isn't quite seen often. Most of the time the 360 and PS3 are essentially on-par with each other.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I imagine it will, unless you have an uninstalled version of Skyrim on the 360. Then it will probably, honestly, be pretty much the same for the most part. I still have the feeling that the PS3 is capable of putting together much better graphics, although that isn't quite seen often. Most of the time the 360 and PS3 are essentially on-par with each other.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't really see a big difference in graphics between the 360 and ps3, Ehh... I guess I will stick with the 360 version hopefully this title update will be up by the end of this weekish...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Ohhh! BTW, don't install the game onto your HDD if you're playing on the 360, it makes the graphics worse...Lord knows why.[/QUOTE]

Looks fine to me.

[quote name='koalak']I like challenging puzzles, and the puzzles in the Golden Claw quest were pretty hard. The Golden Claw Walkthrough has solutions for them (Spoilers, obviously)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shadowkast']really?! Matching pictures was hard?[/QUOTE]

dunno... for me it wasn't that obvious

[quote name='koalak']dunno... for me it wasn't that obvious[/QUOTE]

Yeah it took me a few tries too. It certainly wasn't a brain buster, I saw the etchings on the walls and everything, I just figured it went in sequential order: bug lady, bear thingy and owl guy but for some reason the bug icon was supposed to go in the middle ring?

[quote name='keithp']Looks fine to me.[/QUOTE]
Apparently there's a problem with upscaling textures when you install, Bethesda is suggesting not to do it until they patch the game:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212271p1.html

Also: tippity-top!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^^^Very cool!! Makes you wanna base jump or batman glide huh?[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I imagine it will, unless you have an uninstalled version of Skyrim on the 360. Then it will probably, honestly, be pretty much the same for the most part. I still have the feeling that the PS3 is capable of putting together much better graphics, although that isn't quite seen often. Most of the time the 360 and PS3 are essentially on-par with each other.[/QUOTE] there's a reason for that ( not even trying to start a console war now. So read the comment and let it die). I read an article about how if a 3rd party company makes a game on both systems they have to be the same (graphics, gameplay, options, etc). If not, Microsoft won't put it on their system. Sorry I don't have the source, this was ages ago.

On topic: after 6 hours of my wood elf yesterday, i decided to restart my character since I really don't need to be an elf to be an archer.

Upon restarting i noticed the choice in the beginning they give you to push you towards the rebels or the imperials. Guess I wasn't paying attention and couldn't hear well with the madness going on the first time...oops

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Skyrim is a console game through-and-through and should be played with a controller period. (at least until the mouse crap is fixed completely...those two tweaks do help a lot though)[/QUOTE]
I tweaked it to the point that it feels fine now. You just have to have high mouse-sensitivity with acceleration off for it to feel right. I'm more of a twitch gamer anyway, so it responds well. What you should be complaining about is their shit hotkey system. WTF is the favorites crap? WHY CAN'T I USE 1-2-3 FOR STUFF?! And no, I don't just mean binding those keys; I want a functional hotbar GDI.

Good god this game is awesome, but the shit textures make me want to slap the hell out of Bethesda. Maybe they do it on purpose now because they already know some modder will do their job for them. Seriously, if ever there was a company that took advantage of free labor it's them. But I digress, at least they respect the PC community enough to provide SDKs every time (although they're late this time).

And how are people getting stuck on the very first puzzle in the game lol? It took me all of one second to realize what palm of your hand meant. Later, there's a similar puzzle that practically has you do the same thing. Elder Scrolls has always lacked in challenging puzzles TBH. They want their games to be accessible to anyone.

[quote name='clonesniper666']Looks the same to me also and I do have both ps3 and 360 versions[/QUOTE]

Not trying to start an argument just want to make sure I get the best experience out of this game. Since I bought the CE edition I do not want to open it and then hear the PS3 version is better performance wise. But, as far as the PS3 and 360 versions it is the same game graphically? I know there that issue on the 360 and that will be getting fixed, so not worried about that. Are there any other problems that you have seen, since you own both versions? I know that the PC version is the best and I have a PC that can run it in amazing settings but I think I would enjoy this more on the consoles; just my preference.

I'd hardly call PC the best this time. The textures are the same muddied shit we've come to expect from Fallout. Some of the visuals are still great, but since they consolized this game it will look about the same on every platform.

Question: I mistakenly killed a chicken, (you can do it in Fable) and now the townspeople in Riverdale, the first town, keep trying to kill me.

How to I pay the fine, do jail time or get them to stop trying to kill me?
Already died like 4 times from them at different parts. The last when I was walking threw the town and forgot and got swarmed by three of them.

I wanna be a Mage but havent seen anywhere where it ask you what you want to be. I already missed the Mage under the town.
God I cant wait for the guide to get here.

[quote name='adriley313']Question: I mistakenly killed a chicken, (you can do it in Fable) and now the townspeople in Riverdale, the first town, keep trying to kill me.

How to I pay the fine, do jail time or get them to stop trying to kill me?
Already died like 4 times from them at different parts. The last when I was walking threw the town and forgot and got swarmed by three of them.

I wanna be a Mage but havent seen anywhere where it ask you what you want to be. I already missed the Mage under the town.
God I cant wait for the guide to get here.[/QUOTE]

Why would you kill the chicken? lol People need their chickens in Riverdale!!!

I dont know why?
In most games you can kill the chicken. it was habit.
Now they wont leave me alone, ill pay for the damn chicken or go to jail
stop killin me

[quote name='adriley313']I dont know why?
In most games you can kill the chicken. it was habit.
Now they wont leave me alone, ill pay for the damn chicken or go to jail
stop killin me[/QUOTE]

Hm, since there are no guards in that city you cannot pay off any fines. Try yielding when they attack you, maybe it will get them to stop (probably not though).

[quote name='adriley313']nope they just cut u down faster
oh well[/QUOTE]

I think that your best bet is to load a previous save...

Any funny encounters yet? I was in a city and these two guards just bolted off running. I followed them out of the city and into the next. Lost one but continued to follow the other. Then he just stops dead in his tracks and won't stop staring down this chicken!!! I finally got bored and bumped him to see if he was frozen and he simply replied something along the lines of " what are you looking at, move along!". I laughed my ass off cause I still don't know if he was talking to me or the chicken

Something peculiar and special about the chickens! I would love for one of the dlc's to be this huge quest relating to the secret society of chickens and explain why they are so revered.

[quote name='shadowkast']Any funny encounters yet? I was in a city and these two guards just bolted off running. I followed them out of the city and into the next. Lost one but continued to follow the other. Then he just stops dead in his tracks and won't stop staring down this chicken!!! I finally got bored and bumped him to see if he was frozen and he simply replied something along the lines of " what are you looking at, move along!". I laughed my ass off cause I still don't know if he was talking to me or the chicken

Something peculiar and special about the chickens! I would love for one of the dlc's to be this huge quest relating to the secret society of chickens and explain why they are so revered.[/QUOTE]

Kill a chicken and you are loathed through the town, and apparently guards love to stare down chickens as well. Haven't had anything real funny happen to me yet, aside from having arrows sticking out of me in odd places that take a while to go away.

[quote name='Jodou']I tweaked it to the point that it feels fine now. You just have to have high mouse-sensitivity with acceleration off for it to feel right. I'm more of a twitch gamer anyway, so it responds well. What you should be complaining about is their shit hotkey system. WTF is the favorites crap? WHY CAN'T I USE 1-2-3 FOR STUFF?! And no, I don't just mean binding those keys; I want a functional hotbar GDI.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I use a trackball and have for years so basically every game requires me to crank the sensitivity all the way up and kill any smoothing/acceleration.

A hotbar would be nice but that definitely sounds like a mod community thing. I definitely see where you're coming from though as much of Skyrim is directly pulled from MMOs.
Most of my silly stuff has been by my own hand as my sneaky stealthy Bosmer archer seems to be leaning more and more towards conjuration.

It's great to get attacked by a group of whatever, zoom/slow time crit one to kill it, and then zombie it and watch it pull agro from the rest of the group as I plink poison arrows at the lot of them.

I wanted to test out of the raise zombie spell when I first got it so I killed a cow and raised it only to have that entire town turn on me...which then lead to me killing them off and raising the fallen as needed to fight by my side. (slaughtered after pickpocketing all of them thankfully;) )

I think that I'm going to make a stealth/magic Khajiit pretty soon as the magic is just so damn fun this time around. (still miss levitate though)

One of the things I really miss as an altaholic is how the previous games often gave you a final confirmation screen of your race, name, and so forth at the end of the tutorial and I'd always create a save file right there as a quickstart for subsequent play-throughs. (that won't be getting fixed on the console side sadly)

Oh well, great fun and I'm really enjoying it but I still hate that they botched the PC version and especially since it's apparently pulling in great currently playing numbers on Steam.

Today: One bed rest and I'm in the Dark Brotherhood.:bouncy:

Bought the game last night on PS3 and played for about 5 hours straight at least.

I'm a Khajit focusing on magic, one-handed blade and light armor.

The beginning was pretty cool, way better than Oblivion's sewer. After that I went to the first town, talked to some guy to progress the story and then immediately peaced out. I took the Golden Claw quest from the shopkeeper and headed out to get it. Got my ass kicked by the giant spider the first time, then killed it. Accidently killed the guy you free from its web then went on and finished the dungeon.

After that I've mostly just been wandering around finiding ruins, dungeons, camps, mines etc to fuck around in. Found some old lady with a house that seemed pointless until I found her basement was full of alchemy and enchanting stations. Killed her and took over the place.

Ran into some giants outside of Whiterun and they killed me in a single hit. 0_0 Ran into some big wooly-mammoth looking things later and though they looked peaceful just standing around, they fucked me up when I got close.

My only concern right now is the difficulty. So far I've been able to kill almost everyone I come across by dual casting the Flames spell I started with, except for the tougher enemies at the end of dungeons. Love the more streamlined menus though the favorites list is kind of weird to use. I never played with the spells much in Oblivion beyond Destruction so already being able to summon a fire thing and turn my enemies' corpses into zombies to do my bidding is pretty cool.

Graphics look great as expected. Lots of little bugs like characters and animals getting a little stuck and stuttering around; worst so far was when an NPC tried to come up stairs while I was stuck in a conversation at the top. When the conversation was over, said NPC just vanished and appeared behind me on the second floor. But whatever, it's Bethesda.

Surprised that you can't pick a class. Glad to see more voices and unique character appearances. Already know I'm going to sink just as much time into this game.

Without getting into too many spoilers, there's a certain quest involving a werewolf that I think I goofed up and now there's a werewolf prowling the roads of Skyrim, killing everything he sees. I've tried to lure him to a big city to try and get an army of guards to stop him but no luck so far.

Just completed the Under Saarthal quest. It was awesome! The first pillar puzzle was easy, but the second one was pretty challenging (Solution, to anyone who needs it)

How many more quests do I have to do for the college of winterhold and what will I get in the end? Anyone know?

Played this game all day and all I can say is Dragons 0: Me 4. FYI, Dragon Bones/Scales are for dragon armor late in the game so best to buy a house early so you can stockpile them. They weigh a shit ton, so just do a bunch of sidequests to make money first. Also, make sure to pick up a companion of some type in Whiterun. I hired an archer rogue like me named Jenassa and she's a beast. We just downed an ice wyrm and she tanked it the entire time I was getting sneak attacks from behind. Seriously epic game!

Has anyone else noticed that, unlike in Morrowind and Oblivion, you no longer have to account for as much travel in your archery shots?

I'm definitely feeling it in the long range shots but, admittedly, haven't done a lot of very long range sniping.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Has anyone else noticed that, unlike in Morrowind and Oblivion, you no longer have to account for as much travel in your archery shots?

I'm definitely feeling it in the long range shots but, admittedly, haven't done a lot of very long range sniping.[/QUOTE]
You mean drop? You can control the range by timing when to loose if that's what you mean. With short range, if you want the most powerful attack you need to aim for the neck to score headshots. If anything, this system is far more realistic and accurate than any Elder Scrolls I've played so far. I'm really digging my ranger build. Once I get my sneak high enough, I'm going to start using daggers for stealth kills. The animations are pretty sick for melee.

[quote name='Jodou']You mean drop? You can control the range by timing when to loose if that's what you mean. With short range, if you want the most powerful attack you need to aim for the neck to score headshots. If anything, this system is far more realistic and accurate than any Elder Scrolls I've played so far. I'm really digging my ranger build. Once I get my sneak high enough, I'm going to start using daggers for stealth kills. The animations are pretty sick for melee.[/QUOTE]

Yup that's what I meant and I like it more now too.

It's just weird having to re-learn it since with Morrowind and Oblivion it always seemed like you had to account for it at much closer distances and really play to it for long range shots. It feels like they've kind of normalized the whole aiming system and it feels great.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']Not trying to start an argument just want to make sure I get the best experience out of this game. Since I bought the CE edition I do not want to open it and then hear the PS3 version is better performance wise. But, as far as the PS3 and 360 versions it is the same game graphically?[/QUOTE]To follow up on this, here's a video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o921p4TIzH4

The main differences appear to be lighting techniques and PS3 shadows appear to be sharper.

Honestly, all three versions are so buggy right now that it's hard to separate out what's actual image quality disparity and intended optimization and performance tweaks versus what's texture/shadow/streaming/whatever bugs.

For all of Bethesda's claims of using a brand new engine = it's not...it's Gamebryo. Now it's a heavily modified and perhaps even an all their own code version as there are no boot logos but it's so completely similar to Gamebryo that most/all of the same old bugs are even rearing their ugly heads.

edit: And speaking of boot logos, how fucking nice is it to see one damn logo before the title screen instead of the now standard ~5.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fell Open Ian']edit: And speaking of boot logos, how fucking nice is it to see one damn logo before the title screen instead of the now standard ~5.[/QUOTE]
Dude, it loads so fast you'd think this was a pirated copy. Major props to them in that department.

I tend to start-up games and then walk into the kitchen to fix a drink because I'm so used to having another minute's worth of logos to sit through.

But some of that is still there on PS3 in the form of the autosave dialog which must be 'OK'd and then the trophy loading.

I wanna know who these morons are that need a user-interaction-required prompt to tell them that games in 2011 auto-fucking-save. *smacksforehead* How are those people able to play Skyrim or games at all or even tie their shoes? Next time you guys are at a game store look for an adult wearing velcro shoes and punch them for me...I know it's them. :p

After about 30 hours, I think I've run into my first bug. I can't finish the quest "Onmund's Request". Basically, I have to get an item for Onmund, and to do that I have to get an item for the guy who has it. I have said item, but there is no dialog to give it to him, and there's no quest arrow either.

I've just about got my Khajiit Conjurer tactics down now that my spell selection is a bit wider:

Conjured Sword in one hand I sneak up and Fury a baddie, conjure Flame Atronarch, drop a rune in front of me, and then blast away with the appropriate elemental spell until they charge in to get rune blasted and an ethereal blade to the face. As soon as one drops I raise them and then proceed to kill any leftovers and loot the ash piles.

Much like a good MMO there are a lot of interesting synergies between the skill trees which can be exploited to do super fun stuff.

I love this game!

[quote name='Jodou']I'd hardly call PC the best this time. The textures are the same muddied shit we've come to expect from Fallout. Some of the visuals are still great, but since they consolized this game it will look about the same on every platform.[/QUOTE]

The PC version is actually 1080p, has real anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, much shorter load times, and mods.

[quote name='evanft']The PC version is actually 1080p, has real anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, much shorter load times, and mods.[/QUOTE]

It seems after that video that the PS3 was darker. Draw distances were better on the PC.

Overall I would not want it on the 360 after looking at the other two.

And you know there will be a HiDef pack mod for the PC.

I think I noticed motion blur on the PC while the others did not have it.

i've seen 4 different friends of mine play through the beginning of this game and miss the imperial/rebel split path. it's actually really hilarious how vague the game is at trying to convey that you have a choice there.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i've seen 4 different friends of mine play through the beginning of this game and miss the imperial/rebel split path. it's actually really hilarious how vague the game is at trying to convey that you have a choice there.[/QUOTE]

What is this? I feel like I've totally missed it too.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']What is this? I feel like I've totally missed it too.[/QUOTE]

As the first dragon is wrecking shit, you have a choice to follow either one of the Imperial soldiers or one of the prisoners who you rolled into the village with. I don't know what it will affect going forward as each time I've gone with the rebel. fuck the Empire for
trying to execute me when my name isn't on the list.

[quote name='evanft']The PC version is actually 1080p, has real anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, much shorter load times, and mods.[/QUOTE]

It also has a completely shitty UI which was made for controllers and the toolkit to fix such things is nowhere in sight.;)

The point being higher resolution and AA are great and all, but when your main diet is lower res textures it amounts to fuck all. Granted, they're not totally awful but compared to what is available in gaming there's certainly a margin for improvement. As for shorter load times and mods, well that's a mainstay of PC regardless.

So I think my companion, Lydia, has it out for me. Sunday I was exploring the icy north and happened upon an outlook on a cliff. I peak over the edge and then Lydia comes up and pushes me off to my death.

Then yesterday I was doing a quest testing spells, which put a damaging aura around me apparently. I thought it only damaged undead, but after killing everything in the area I hear Lydia get hurt. I turn around and she jabs her sword into my face and one-hits me since I was low health due to the spell exploding undead and hadn't bothered casting heal yet.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']It also has a completely shitty UI which was made for controllers and the toolkit to fix such things is nowhere in sight.;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my biggest gripe about it. Mod tools can't come out soon enough to fix this horrendous shit. Though I've gotten pretty use to it. However I absolutely hate it when I select something and it chooses something else entirely sometimes when I use the mouse. What the fuck Bethesda.

Back in June they were all like "Improved graphics, redone UI and mod tools for the PC version!" Guess they just want to kick PC users in the balls and be done with it.

[quote name='Jodou']The point being higher resolution and AA are great and all, but when your main diet is lower res textures it amounts to fuck all. Granted, they're not totally awful but compared to what is available in gaming there's certainly a margin for improvement. As for shorter load times and mods, well that's a mainstay of PC regardless.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. My last computer (ATI 4800 / Intel Dual Core / 4GB RAM) can play this on Ultra settings (40+ FPS) with just some toned down shadows and low AA/AS. It's pretty pathetic and my second biggest gripe. Mods to fix this can't come out soon enough. I mean christ, the game doesn't even use more than 2GB of RAM by default on the PC. I don't even know what other travesties have been made with the game.

[quote name='Draekon']So I think my companion, Lydia, has it out for me. Sunday I was exploring the icy north and happened upon an outlook on a cliff. I peak over the edge and then Lydia comes up and pushes me off to my death.[/QUOTE]
Lol, my partner in crime constantly likes to block my LOS whenever a fight erupts. I have to quick load at least twice a quest because I either slit her throat or she takes an arrow to the back of the head. I like the idea of having a her around, but it's starting to become a problem in the stealth department. I'm practically a master sneak at this point but her stealth never seems to scale so trying to do thief guild missions is quickly becoming old with her around. Basically have to tell her to wait while I go to work.

Speaking of which, I managed to fuck up the first actual thief guild mission. Let me say this, do NOT use a fire spell to set them on fire LOL. You'll practically burn the estate down. Didn't realize my mistake until I got back (and had saved) and boy were they pissed haha.

Since Morrowind, I've purchased Bethesda's games on both console and PC. The console versions I play as was intended and the PC versions I mod to hell.

Skyrim, on PC, is the absolute worst UI integration that Bethesda has ever done. It's not even an I don't like this kinda thing but rather a this doesn't even fucking work kinda thing.

I approach it with zero master race bullshit or system wars or whatever...the mouse controls for the menus are fucking broken period the end and it's pathetic.

bread's done
Back