Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

I heard about the lag issue after you play for a certain amount of time (which is based around the size of the save file increasing as time goes on). I heard it existed in the Oblivion engine too with Fallout. I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I had to do two mods to my PC version:
- Full screen mod (so I can alt+tab without taking 5 minutes to get back into the game. Essential if I needed to quickly flip a switch on something remotely at work from home as I work IT)
- Edit the .exe file that launches the game to allow for more than 2GB of memory to be used. Before I did this the game would randomly close to the desktop all the time and I would occasionally receive weird lag.

Wonder what that patch is going to bring.

[quote name='Draekon']If you're surfing reddit from work, bad, bad Jodou.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I don't do sites like that period. My boys keep trolling me with 4chan pics when I'm at home, which is bad enough.

[quote name='Draekon']I heard about the lag issue after you play for a certain amount of time (which is based around the size of the save file increasing as time goes on). I heard it existed in the Oblivion engine too with Fallout. I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I had to do two mods to my PC version:
- Full screen mod (so I can alt+tab without taking 5 minutes to get back into the game. Essential if I needed to quickly flip a switch on something remotely at work from home as I work IT)
- Edit the .exe file that launches the game to allow for more than 2GB of memory to be used. Before I did this the game would randomly close to the desktop all the time and I would occasionally receive weird lag.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to try disabling v-sync tonight and see if that doesn't free up the lag in some areas like Solitude. It's not unplayable lag, but I do notice that my mouse sensitivity is affected in those areas. I get ~25 FPS in areas like that or places that use heavy particle effects spread across the level (such as looking in a specific direction and having slowdown), so there's definitely optimization issues. I think I know what you're talking about with weird lag, like it chops as you're moving right? Maybe I'll try the memory change if v-sync doesn't clear things up.

[quote name='Draekon']
- Edit the .exe file that launches the game to allow for more than 2GB of memory to be used. Before I did this the game would randomly close to the desktop all the time and I would occasionally receive weird lag.

Wonder what that patch is going to bring.[/QUOTE]

Wow you would think that they could have tweaked the console port for us pc users

I'll have to do that too now

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/the-10-best-skyrim-mods-so-far/

For those mods I mentioned and a few more for those curious. They also added an 11th one in the past 24 hours or so it seems. Haven't looked into that one yet. There's one in there (#2) that might help Jodou. It can be revoked just as easily as it is added by removing the two files added (overwrites nothing). For the .exe edit (#3), make sure to backup the .exe before making the change.

The 11th one is like a google maps for Skyrim. If you haven't noticed already, the world map is just a satellite view of the game world. I've seen the video for it and you can zoom all the way in and do street level with free cam movability. Can ruin the experience if you want to explore everything yourself.

I'm over 60 hours into the game now, and I've barely touched the main quest. I've finished the college's quests, most of the companions and thief's guild. I figured I'd be able to beat it around this time, but I think I'm going to be in for over 100 hours.

2 questions:
1. Where can I go to change my hair or facial hair?
2. Where can I get that
Stone that gets rid of heavy armor negatives and adds 100 to your carry weight
?

No spoilers please.

Um . . . so Lydia died during a fight with a couple of Trolls in Lost Valkygg and I stupidly saved before realizing it. Are other "housecarls" available in different towns?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']So...maybe I'm missing something but how did the arrow go from being 100 miles away to flying onto his head? Environment exploit I would assume, but odd...[/QUOTE]

He aimed straight up and it's called gravity? :booty:

were you serious?

[quote name='Draekon']https://twitter.com/#!/DCDaecon/status/137411345053261824

Wow. Overpriced and definitely not worth it.[/QUOTE]
This makes me sad. Bethesda is above doing something like this. . .oh wait, horse armor.

GFG.

BTW, TURN OFF V-SYNC! World of difference on my machine at least and I gained easily 10 FPS in certain areas, but overall average FPS was higher period. Since changing it, I've had no screen tearing so it's pointless having it on. Just add iPresentInterval=0 under [Display] in your SkyrimPrefs.ini file.

I find shouts to be mostly useless anyway. The sprint shout is needed for puzzles occasionally and getting past traps. The become ethereal shout is nice for jumping off cliffs. In combat situations, I find them to be mostly useless. The breath shouts don't really seem to do any real damage. Unrelenting force can be fun though.

What's a good (free) companion that you can get early on in the game (level 12 or something)? I'm not going to use Lydia and Faedal already died.

There are quite a few companions out there. Just start completing quests and you'll eventually pick up one.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I find shouts to be mostly useless anyway. The sprint shout is needed for puzzles occasionally and getting past traps. The become ethereal shout is nice for jumping off cliffs. In combat situations, I find them to be mostly useless. The breath shouts don't really seem to do any real damage. Unrelenting force can be fun though.[/QUOTE]

I find the Stop Time one pretty useful when there are a bunch of mages simultaneously casting fireball at me or some equivalent spell in frost or shock. Other than that, I don't really use shouts.

[quote name='Draekon']There are quite a few companions out there. Just start completing quests and you'll eventually pick up one.

I find the Stop Time one pretty useful when there are a bunch of mages simultaneously casting fireball at me or some equivalent spell in frost or shock. Other than that, I don't really use shouts.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the stop time level 2 is the only shout i use

I love the Unrelenting Force shout. Comes in handy to open up a path when surrounded by enemies. Just killed a giant with it, after I maneuvered him with his back to the edge of a mountain. Sent him flying, and picked off the other giant with arrows.

[quote name='gbpackers94']2 questions:
1. Where can I go to change my hair or facial hair?
2. Where can I get that
Stone that gets rid of heavy armor negatives and adds 100 to your carry weight
?

No spoilers please.[/QUOTE]

1. Not sure, don't think you can.

[quote name='gbpackers94']What's a good (free) companion that you can get early on in the game (level 12 or something)? I'm not going to use Lydia and Faedal already died.[/QUOTE]

Uthgerd the Unbroken. She's in The Bannered Mare in Whiterun.
You need to brawl her first.

-------------------------------------------------

I don't use shouts very often, but one I do like is
Ice Form
not extremely useful but it's fun to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Skyrim just might be the best game of all time. It continues to amaze me how well developed the stories/characters are and I'm constantly discovering new things about the game. Each of the guilds are incredibly well done and their respective questlines are some of the best in the game. The attention to detail regarding what you're wearing, what recent events are going on, et cetera are just astounding. All wrapped in a package that is probably the least buggy game they've ever made.

Whoever doesn't give Skyrim GOTY is out of their mind.

I'd say it's good, but to me has way too many faults to be anywhere near the best game of all time. I'd give it probably about an 8. I'm very critical towards game scores.

Anyways, I finished the main story quest and I'm sad that the final boss was easier than one of the fights before it. Managed to finish it up right before stores opened today and now I have my Zelda. I'll go back to Skyrim and create a character that will be my 'I can do everything' character with all the best stuff. However I'll wait for DLC and mods to fix various things like the menus. It was enjoyable but could have been so much more I think if they fixed a lot of the little issues the game has and got rid of their terrible idea of loot based on your level.

I've broken 80 hours and haven't even started the Dark Brotherhood or the Civil War questlines. I still need to do a ton of Daedric stuff too. I think I might just try to beat it soon, and come back to it when there's DLC.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I've broken 80 hours and haven't even started the Dark Brotherhood or the Civil War questlines. I still need to do a ton of Daedric stuff too. I think I might just try to beat it soon, and come back to it when there's DLC.[/QUOTE]

Daedric stuff is the best. Half the time I don't know it's even a daedric quest until half way into the quest. Amazing loot too.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Daedric stuff is the best. Half the time I don't know it's even a daedric quest until half way into the quest. Amazing loot too.[/QUOTE]

I've done 5 or so of them. Good loot, but the game is just starting to wear on me at this point. Plus I'm annoyed that many of the Daedric quests are triggered randomly (I'm looking at you "A Night to Remember").

Wow, the thieves guild questline took a major twist last night and the armor you get is fucking awesome. Somehow I get the feeling the main quest won't surpass the rest of the game, but at this point I'm not even sure if I'll be able to finish the game lol. There's still two more major cities I've never been to and most of the ones I have aren't even touched in terms of sidequests. 75 hours later and there's simply too much to do still!

[quote name='Jodou']I think Skyrim just might be the best game of all time. It continues to amaze me how well developed the stories/characters are and I'm constantly discovering new things about the game. Each of the guilds are incredibly well done and their respective questlines are some of the best in the game. The attention to detail regarding what you're wearing, what recent events are going on, et cetera are just astounding. All wrapped in a package that is probably the least buggy game they've ever made.

Whoever doesn't give Skyrim GOTY is out of their mind.[/QUOTE]
I'm in total agreement with you. I am continuously amazed by this game.

Last night, I was cleaning up some of the Miscellaneous quests, I never did the quest where you bring Alvor a dagger and teaches you blacksmithing. I figured I would go ahead and do it - I hadn't been back to Riverwood in awhile. I started the quest and halfway through, after tanning some leather - a dragon attacked Riverwood. I left Alvor's and ran across town to where the guards were attacking the dragon. I joined in and put a hurting on the dragon. Before I could kill it, it took off and circled the town and landed by Alvor's house. I hauled ass across town and got their just in time to see Alvor draw his sword against the dragon, only to be taken down in a shower of flames. I jumped at the dragon and killed him, seconds too late. After his death, the whole town came over to where he fell and his daughter stood over his body and cried.

I was like, holy shitballs this is a good game. Definitely my GOTY.

what is up with the PC version...
why can i not pick the mouse sensitivity of the menus?!?!? that annoys me to no end!
and the menus are ugly anyway!

the 2gb of memory thing... my god.
maybe that's why i keep getting kicked back to desktop with no explanation...

Beast fight!!! I'm near Riverside Shack on my way to the Mzulft ruins, and I spot a giant leading two mammoths. I start to sneak up on them, but before I can start a fight I spot a blood dragon swooping down. He comes after me first, then turns his attention towards my prey. Pretty cool stuff, as the works over the giant from the air, then lands to fight it out with the mammoths. They actually damage him a bit, while I connect with arrows from a distance. Once he's low enough on health, I come in for the kill shot: full-scale Unrelenting Force to lower his head a bit, then 2 swings of an Elven greatsword. The mammoths and giant just walk away, not even worried about me. I love this game.

[quote name='Brainberry']11mb save file and 50 hours in and the game is almost unplayable due to frame rate issues.....[/QUOTE]
80 hours and 15mb save. I can usually manage about an hour before the framerate goes to hell. Then I just reset, and it's good to go for awhile longer. This is one of the reason I'm thinking of just finishing the mainquest and coming back to it later.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']80 hours and 15mb save. I can usually manage about an hour before the framerate goes to hell. Then I just reset, and it's good to go for awhile longer. This is one of the reason I'm thinking of just finishing the mainquest and coming back to it later.[/QUOTE]

I actually fixed it!

Been going strong for the past 5 hours, no drops.

I just did a "rebuild database" on the ps3 that whipes out all my inbox/sent messages and basically defrags yous ps3.

Worth a try.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1284146-rebuild-ps3-data-base-take-4-mins/

Now I don;t feel like I'm in Blighttown 24/7

[quote name='Brainberry']11mb save file and 50 hours in and the game is almost unplayable due to frame rate issues.....[/QUOTE]

Not sure of my save file but about 50 hours in and yes, the open world is almost unplayable now

I just had a very frustrating experience. I was wandering around for fun and ended up atop this mountain. I saw a dragon perched on a rock, so I saved my current file and shot an arrow to start the fight. Got a nice sneak-crit and then it was a good ol' battle royale. However,
after killing the dragon I went to inspect the rock he was sitting on top of and some undead mage popped up out of what I thought was a chest and murdered me in two quick shots. >_> So after fighting the dragon again, I saved and started a 20minute long kiting battle with this mage. Lost again... so I took off Master mode and then finished it off decently.

But the thing had a unique mask on it -- Krosis

And after inspecting the stone there were three words of power on it.

Did I just seriously screw up a major questline or something? My last previous savefile is from four hours ago x_x; should I just eat the hours and go back to it?

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I just had a very frustrating experience. I was wandering around for fun and ended up atop this mountain. I saw a dragon perched on a rock, so I saved my current file and shot an arrow to start the fight. Got a nice sneak-crit and then it was a good ol' battle royale. However,
after killing the dragon I went to inspect the rock he was sitting on top of and some undead mage popped up out of what I thought was a chest and murdered me in two quick shots. >_> So after fighting the dragon again, I saved and started a 20minute long kiting battle with this mage. Lost again... so I took off Master mode and then finished it off decently.

But the thing had a unique mask on it. And after inspecting the stone there were three words of power on it.

Did I just seriously screw up a major questline or something? My last previous savefile is from four hours ago x_x; should I just eat the hours and go back to it?[/QUOTE]
Did you try picking up the mask then dropping it. I would guess you're safe as long as you just had to defeat him and not speak any quest related dialogue

[quote name='shadowkast']Did you try picking up the mask then dropping it. I would guess you're safe as long as you just had to defeat him and not speak any quest related dialogue[/QUOTE]

Dropping it o_O? What will that do exactly?

It was the mask of
Krosis
btw.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I just had a very frustrating experience. I was wandering around for fun and ended up atop this mountain. I saw a dragon perched on a rock, so I saved my current file and shot an arrow to start the fight. Got a nice sneak-crit and then it was a good ol' battle royale. However,

But the thing had a unique mask on it -- Krosis

And after inspecting the stone there were three words of power on it.

Did I just seriously screw up a major questline or something? My last previous savefile is from four hours ago x_x; should I just eat the hours and go back to it?[/QUOTE]

No you you just found and killed one of the dragon priests. They they are often near some dragons I have noticed

From what I have read they do not have anything to do with the main quest at all but are their for you to collect their masks since the masks are really rare and have good enchantments.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Dropping it o_O? What will that do exactly?

It was the mask of
Krosis
btw.[/QUOTE]

You can't drop quest items. That's why he suggested trying to drop it.

And, no, you didn't screw up a quest. There are 8 such enemies with unique masks. Defeating them is sort of an unmarked quest. Although, a lot of them are in various ruins that contain words of power and are involved in their own sidequest (these sidequests will usually initiate as you enter or approach the ruin in question).

That's damn good to hear. Thanks folks.

I guess I'll shoot to collect all of those masks soon. I'm not really built for a thief so I don't get much outta this one.

Had a run-in a couple of days ago with Krosis. Couldn't figure out how to beat him. I've got a few new spells/weapons, so once I'm done in Labyrinthian I'll give it another shot.

So i hear Steam just had a patch applied to this game that ties the executable to Steam, which can prevent some mods that rely on modding the executable....anyone know much about this?

[quote name='bigraj']Had a run-in a couple of days ago with Krosis. Couldn't figure out how to beat him. I've got a few new spells/weapons, so once I'm done in Labyrinthian I'll give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

I had a pretty nice bow, so it wasn't too difficult to beat him (at least off of Master mode >_>). I just kited him around in the forest so his fireballs would hit trees instead of me. And sniped him with my Orc bow of shock. When he stopped casting and I saw the little blue aura around him when he was regening MP, I rushed in and started whacking him. Don't think he uses physical attacks at all, so that's a pretty safe point to be in.

Lil flame summon helped a lot. Not so much in damage, but she was a great distraction.

[quote name='Brainberry']I actually fixed it!

Been going strong for the past 5 hours, no drops.

I just did a "rebuild database" on the ps3 that whipes out all my inbox/sent messages and basically defrags yous ps3.

Worth a try.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1284146-rebuild-ps3-data-base-take-4-mins/

Now I don;t feel like I'm in Blighttown 24/7[/QUOTE]yeah, so I did the rebuild and restore. Guess who's hard drive now needs to be formatted?! Seriously, wtf!

[quote name='shadowkast']yeah, so I did the rebuild and restore. Guess who's hard drive now needs to be formatted?! Seriously, wtf![/QUOTE]

I did the rebuild file system and rebuild database. Both worked fine. The game doesn't play any better though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I did the rebuild file system and rebuild database. Both worked fine. The game doesn't play any better though.[/QUOTE]

It played better for a while for me, but now its back to drops at about 2-3 hours in.

Did Bethesda specify what causes it?

Patch is coming in the next 7 days though.

bread's done
Back