Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I can certainly sympathize with your complaints. Dishing out $30+ dollars for individual releases of 30+ year old SNK titles is onerous. You've got to be a pretty hard-core fan to pony up that much scratch for old NeoGeo games. But then, this particular branch of the hobby is already for the hard-core fans. Casual fans just buy games digitally anyway, and usually get to pay less for them. If money is an issue, save your pennies for the physical copies you REALLY want, and buy the rest of the titles you want to play on a digital sale. There's nothing wrong with NOT buying every physical release.
I guess the thing that has soured me on LRG the most is that it hasn't always been this way. For a long time, they were the place for indie devs who had a good game and no resources to get a full-blown physical release without corporate interference. Now we're here talking about games from major publishers, many of which have sold a million or more copies, getting their 2nd or 3rd releases just for the hell of it.

Does it matter that the Jak and Daxter series sold great on the PS2 and got a superior collection on PS3? Nope! Sell them individually! Turok? Sure, why not! Every Star Wars game ever? NeoGeo games that exist in various collections on multiple platforms? Games from a single series that could easily fit together on one cart? Rushing out a game early to meet an arbitrary deadline? Don't worry, nothing matters, people will buy it anyway!

I know I'm being harsh, and as you mentioned there are several other publishers out there that can still put out high-quality, low-recognition games other than LRG, but I think the damage has been done. SRG just split the Hotline Miami games into 2 disks on the PS4, Super Rare split up Steamworld Dig and Heist on the Switch (even though they were bundled together on the Wii U), and SLG is splitting the upcoming Turrican Anthology into two carts even though it only contains 4 SNES, 3 Genesis, and 3 Amiga games. This might be a niche market, but what LRG does reverberates though it.

Now with all that said, it's important to acknowledge that LRG hasn't completely abandoned their older, cooler ways. They just put out a 3DS game of all things, knowing full well that no one is buying 3DS stuff anymore. So not it's not like they've fully mutated into another cynical offshoot of the corporate hype machine that has sucked so much of the fun out of video games. But they're trending in the wrong direction, and it's a bummer to see a company that used to be part of the solution becoming part of the problem.

Sincerely,
Grumpy from MN

My friend and I have been speculating for a little while now that LRG might be a bit of a house of cards. Like what happens if they just disappear or go bankrupt one day with all that preorder money? Is their secret business model take as much money as possible and then delay delivery for as long as possible? I've always wondered what their finances actually looked like.
Certainly a risk all pre-orders like this involve. To allay fears, you could purchase from BB or eBay instead of via pre-order process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if BBY has slowed their ordering of LRG titles recently. Covid has hit everything, but retail in particular has suffered. It doesn't make much sense for a brick-and-mortar store to cut back on physical copies for their retail locations. I imagine they still do decent business through their on-line store, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they scaled back orders.
Best Buy has clearanced out almost of their games on their website and seem to be slimming down their in store selections yet again. My local stores are running with maybe 8 feet sections for the big 3 consoles. Last winter they were at least twice that. I believe that they have decided to go to more of a preorder only model and aren’t going to stock much in store. Every time I go in a Best Buy all I can think of it that they look like a Circuit City.

Hopefully this week we’ll get an update for Shantae or Blaster Master Zero.

Curious to see what the second hand market will be for SOR 4 Classic Edition in the next few months as well.

With the length of time for the vast majority of games between preorders and games actually shipping, there is certainly some house of cards stuff going on.  Not in a nefarious way. That is, they may have factored in enough profit on the sale as well as the shipping to cover the employees that process orders and ship them out (or rather transfer the packages to UPS Innovations) and provide some profits to the company... BUT.... they have to keep those employees paid for the time between orders being made and them actually being fulfilled.  So they have to continually sell more stuff to make this happen.  They also upgraded facilities not that long ago and that surely is costing them much more in monthly rent.

Again, I don't think this is some nefarious plot, but just what they have to do to maintain full time employees because they don't make enough profit to pay people to sit around and it would be too hard to get reliable temp workers in for just the few times a month they'd be shipping games.

The big worry for LRG would be if they stopped or severely slowed putting new releases up.  That would mean employees would be due to be laid off.  But the way the company is setup, the devs get paid after the sale is over.  So they'd have to keep that going and then just never order production in order for them to potentially cut and run with customers cash.  Which, honestly, even though I don't care for the people that run LRG... I don't think they would do that because they don't want to go to jail... and the customers they'd be screwing over are internet savvy folks that surely wouldn't let it go and some would surely take the time to track them down to make sure justice was served one way or another.

Limited Run is emailing out customer satisfaction surveys, and the questions/choices indicate that they're considering overhauling the way they communicate.  There's also a question about whether or not we'd like digital copies of games as we wait for the physical copies to arrive.

It would actually be really cool if they were able to offer a digital copy of the games they sold
I have an opposite view on that. It will likely add to the cost and will only encourage LRG and other companies to take pre-orders even earlier for games that haven't seen all the DLC or patches come out. I'd rather they just wait until games are complete, take preorders and ship 2-3 months later.

Most likely they would only be able to provide steam key like Street of Rage 4.  I don't think Sony gives them unlimited key.

Best Buy has clearanced out almost of their games on their website and seem to be slimming down their in store selections yet again. My local stores are running with maybe 8 feet sections for the big 3 consoles. Last winter they were at least twice that. I believe that they have decided to go to more of a preorder only model and aren’t going to stock much in store. Every time I go in a Best Buy all I can think of it that they look like a Circuit City.
Well, possibly. Meijer has done that recently, but Best Buy also isn't getting the same foot traffic right now because of the pandemic. I would choose in-store pick up and then browse the store before picking up my item, but I get everything shipped now because I just don't want to deal with going into a store if I can help it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The digital copy idea I think is really great. I suggested for a PS4 version of A Hat in Time as well.

On a side note: the sealed copy of Jak X I just opened didn’t have the trading card. Kind of disappointed in that. I wonder if any of you gents encountered this.

The digital copy idea I think is really great. I suggested for a PS4 version of A Hat in Time as well.

On a side note: the sealed copy of Jak X I just opened didn’t have the trading card. Kind of disappointed in that. I wonder if any of you gents encountered this.
The trading cards are not inside the case. They are shipped loose in the package from LRG with the game.

Not sure why you think that clearancing games means they are slimming down. They have to make room for all the holiday games and the new systems. Maybe the store you visit doesn't sell enough to keep the gaming section the size it was but that's not company wide.

My store currently has 650 games available for pickup right now across the 3 systems. So...

Not sure why you think that clearancing games means they are slimming down. They have to make room for all the holiday games and the new systems.
Hah! What holiday games? And who is going to be going out and spending exorbitant amounts of money on a new system THIS year? What holiday shopping season? No one in their right mind is going to be out shopping on Black Friday. Retail establishments are tightening their belts all over, and praying for an end to the pandemic, so they can get foot traffic and sales again.

The only limited print games publisher that seems like a house of cards is First Press Games. They keep announcing more games, yet have only printed two after numerous delays. It appears that they are using the funds from the new preorders to fund the previous preorders. It doesn't help that their first three games are kind of average games (A Hole New World, Shadow Bug and Castle of Heart). I don't believe they've sold many copies either. I'm interested in buying Neko Navy and Rival Megagun from them, but I don't trust them with preorders.

Hah! What holiday games? And who is going to be going out and spending exorbitant amounts of money on a new system THIS year? What holiday shopping season? No one in their right mind is going to be out shopping on Black Friday. Retail establishments are tightening their belts all over, and praying for an end to the pandemic, so they can get foot traffic and sales again.
Yeah, I went to BB a few weeks back to get a new router and if not for the appliance department, I would have thought they were going out of business? LOL Almost every area the shelves were bare, and just looking around, I wondered how they were paying the people actually working? It was beyond dead and then some, and there appeared to be no "new" anything on the floor.

Walmart & Target I believe have already said they are cancelling BF(in store), as that would be a "calamity most foul" and anyplace paying attention knows that and then some. So yeah, what holiday?

Last I read, Walmart was just cancelling the Thursday sale and having the stores closed completely for Thanksgiving.  BF, I thought was still up the air.  Which what I was imagining is they were going to do the door check thing and only let so many people in the store at once kind of like the early days of the pandemic when it got super bad.

Last I read, Walmart was just cancelling the Thursday sale and having the stores closed completely for Thanksgiving. BF, I thought was still up the air. Which what I was imagining is they were going to do the door check thing and only let so many people in the store at once kind of like the early days of the pandemic when it got super bad.
That's funny, a lot of stores here are still only letting people in a bit at a time. Some are counting people entering/exiting and keeping it limited, some (like Target) only let people in like one person every 45 seconds or something like that. The second method makes no sense to me, they should just be counting people, but ho-hum, the waits haven't been TOO bad...

Yeah, I went to BB a few weeks back to get a new router and if not for the appliance department, I would have thought they were going out of business? LOL Almost every area the shelves were bare, and just looking around, I wondered how they were paying the people actually working? It was beyond dead and then some, and there appeared to be no "new" anything on the floor.
Same. My store has given up. They were always bad with putting games on the floor and now they don't put movies out, either. The media section was pretty bare with the "New Releases" almost empty. The New Release display that had been a mainstay at the front of the store for as long as I can remember is gone.

During the holidays is the only time they bother to put all the games out on the floor. They'll add shelf space and put whatever they have at that time out. The likelihood of new releases showing up soon after release increases, but there is no guarantee. I would not doubt my store has the same high number of individual SKUs across all systems in store that Tyrok mentioned. They just aren't on the shelf. They have a cage by the register where games are stored with no organization and another cabinet with most of their Switch stock. The store is primarily just a distribution hub for online orders/store pick-up as far as media is concerned. It's been many years since they could be considered a showroom for gaming.

Even when the store is dead, an employee didn't even feel like finding a game they had in the store. It was just too hard for him since they only had three. It would have been easier if there were more, but since there were only three it wasn't worth the effort to even try. And that was an LRG game. I got 1 of the 3 when it went up for in-store pickup and I'll bet they still have 2 left. Haha - just checked BB.com. Yep! They have 2 left. It always seems like I am the only person buying LRG games at the area Best Buys.

Walmart & Target I believe have already said they are cancelling BF(in store), as that would be a "calamity most foul" and anyplace paying attention knows that and then some. So yeah, what holiday?
Mine is just as busy as it was before all this. We get carts and carts of routers multiple times a week and still can't keep them stocked because they are selling so fast.

Anyone have any thoughts on Divinity Original Sin 2 for NS? Price is a bit steep on Best Buy's website, but it gets positive reviews and seems like a very hard to find game outside of the Limited Run edition. Any idea how it compares to PC or other console versions?

Anyone have any thoughts on Divinity Original Sin 2 for NS? Price is a bit steep on Best Buy's website, but it gets positive reviews and seems like a very hard to find game outside of the Limited Run edition. Any idea how it compares to PC or other console versions?
For what it's worth, it has cross save with the Steam version.

Mine is just as busy as it was before all this. We get carts and carts of routers multiple times a week and still can't keep them stocked because they are selling so fast.
Yeah, my store wasn't exactly out of routers, that's just the item I went to get from my online order, but there was very little of anything on the retail floor. I'm in Vegas, and our schools are mostly online, so router sales should be consistent for the foreseeable future to say the least. Also, being in Vegas, we have way more B&M stores in our valley, were a city like Los Angeles has maybe 1 store in the same area were we have 4-5. We are also more hard hit by Covid than the average city due to our tourism dollars, so foot traffic is probably less than major areas were options aren't as plentiful.

Busy or slow, we have all seen those BF pics of little old ladies trampling each other for a $100 dollar TV, how bad do we think they will get in the Covid era(funds need to stretch way further)? BF patrons are very rarely sensible or kind, and I can't see spacing out a line that normally wraps a building and still keeping that line in order. Doing something like this, during this moment seems like you need more security and staff than would make sense, and this still has to be done safely? I don't see it, but we are in this situation due to greed, so I wouldn't be surprised by some BF in store options, as that's the MO in this country more often than not.

So many stores live for BF and Holiday Sales... it won't shock me at all if there are more temporary fences put up and areas roped off and they count people going in for BF sales at Walmart and other stores.  This year, I don't plan to even try to attend any sales on BF.  But I will likely go in very early Saturday morning to Walmart. That's always my time to rifle through the cardboard displays of games, DVD's, and BR's... and the day after usually still has some good stuff and doesn't have any kind of serious crowd.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1301180668915965954

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1301188474129780736

Holy fuck my wallet... that's a lot of Shantae that I'll buy but bitch about paying for. Thank god they're open preorders though. Nothing looks limited from what I can tell. 

So do I have this right?  

Shantae Switch standard 

Shantae Switch CE 

Shantae GB Color standard 

Shantae GB Color CE

Shantae Risky's Revenge standard 

Shantae Risky's Revenge CE 

Just trying to plan for how many weeks I need to go without food to afford all that. 

EDIT* Also wondering if the GB Color game comes with a manual or not...? Don't see one pictured but I don't think they ever picture the manuals. 

Holy fuck my wallet... that's a lot of Shantae that I'll buy but bitch about paying for. Thank god they're open preorders though. Nothing looks limited from what I can tell.

So do I have this right?

Shantae Switch standard

Shantae Switch CE

Shantae GB Color CE

Just trying to plan for how many weeks I need to go without food to afford all that.

EDIT* Also wondering if the GB Color game comes with a manual or not...? Don't see one pictured but I don't think they ever picture the manuals.
This comes packaged in a standard Game Boy sized box with beautiful rainbow foil stamping on the side. The cartridge is functional on Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and any other hardware that supports Game Boy Color games. Includes a full color manual.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/shantae-game-boy-color

TBH, I'd be happy with an update on when the Shantae game I preordered 3 and a half months ago is coming rather than being told I can preorder MORE Shantae stuff. 

So do I have this right?

Shantae Switch standard

Shantae Switch CE

Shantae GB Color CE

Look on the bright side. All of those combined will run you less than a copy of the original GBC release.

Am I happy I finally splurged on that new ultrawide monitor for my pc? Yes.

...would I have been equally as happy to splurge on a bunch of Shantae crap? ...yes.

Look on the bright side. All of those combined will run you less than a copy of the original GBC release.
LOL That is true. I picked up the original, with box and manual, for $60 I think a decade ago and I was like "damn, that's a lot of money for a used copy of a game but it seems like this'll be rare in the future". Never thought it would go for as much as it does...

bread's done
Back