Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a game changer for me. At this point, it's not worth investing into Playstation and I'll only be buying games I intend to play that aren't on Xbox/PC/Switch. So many obstacles with modern consoles with DRM, online checks, updates etc....and now this. This just pushes me further into the direction of piracy.
I wanted discussion about it and people to know because now maybe if you're sitting on the fence between a PS4 version and Switch version you go with the Switch version because at least Switch consoles will continue to work in the future.

As someone with hundreds of PS4 discs, I can tell you I'm not that worried though. AFAIK even though custom firmware on the PS4 is pretty trash right now, a good group of people are working on it every day and I fully expect the homebrew and hacker community to fix this crap by the time it starts to be an issue if Sony doesn't fix it themselves. The vita for example had trash cfw at first and wasn't able to be jailbroken unless you had really low firmware and now even the latest firmware can be broken so I know this issue will eventually get addressed one way or another.

Sad part is most people aren't going to want to fiddle around with jailbreaking their system and cfw and I could see a lot of PS4s just ending up in a landfill some day if Sony doesn't officially do something about it. The cynical part of me thinks planned obsolence but the other part thinks Sony just really is that dumb sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is a game changer for me. At this point, it's not worth investing into Playstation and I'll only be buying games I intend to play that aren't on Xbox/PC/Switch. So many obstacles with modern consoles with DRM, online checks, updates etc....and now this. This just pushes me further into the direction of piracy.

Also, I wish I could cancel that KOF2002UM CE I ordered. Oh well, I actually like the game so I'll get my money's worth from it and I'm sure it'll be ported in the future.
so what you are telling me you only want to play PS4 games on PS4? Not PS5, PS6, etc?

...although to be fair, I'm basing all this on their production updates page, which makes some pretty strange decisions. They're making progress that isn't reflected there.

The updates page doesn't list titles that go from being 'On Deck' to 'In-Hand' (or anything beyond that), and working backwards, it looks like there have been 8 of those over the past few days:

1. Astro City Mini Gamepad
  2. Astro City Mini Style Kit
  3. Limited Run #356: Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (PS4)
  4. Limited Run #380: Asdivine Menace (PS4)
  5. Limited Run #383: Monochrome Order (PS4)
  6. Limited Run #384: Paper Beast (PSVR)
  7. Mutant Mudds Super Challenge Game Decks [PREORDER]
  8. SEGA Astro City Mini
That doesn't exactly transform the narrative or anything, but...yeah.

...although to be fair, I'm basing all this on their production updates page, which makes some pretty strange decisions. They're making progress that isn't reflected there.

The updates page doesn't list titles that go from being 'On Deck' to 'In-Hand' (or anything beyond that), and working backwards, it looks like there have been 8 of those over the past few days:
Two things here:

1. The production updates page is maintained manually. Someone's going through and flipping these statuses. Presumably based on some criteria, but nothing public to us.
  2. LRG changed their production updates page in 2019 or so to be much less friendly go manually check (that was when I stopped posting shipping updates here). Prior to that it was barebones HTML pre-expanded, now you have to click on each individual item to see its status.
So while it's still technically the best source of info we have for production updates, that's not really saying much. It's all prone to human error and most of the time they can't be bothered to maintain it (as evidenced by the 150+ items with a "TBD" shipping date). It's still interesting to see the numbers in black and white, just wanted to provide some context to help with interpretation.

Two things here:

• The production updates page is maintained manually. Someone's going through and flipping these statuses. Presumably based on some criteria, but nothing public to us.
  • LRG changed their production updates page in 2019 or so to be much less friendly go manually check (that was when I stopped posting shipping updates here). Prior to that it was barebones HTML pre-expanded, now you have to click on each individual item to see its status.
So while it's still technically the best source of info we have for production updates, that's not really saying much. It's all prone to human error and most of the time they can't be bothered to maintain it (as evidenced by the 150+ items with a "TBD" shipping date). It's still interesting to see the numbers in black and white, just wanted to provide some context to help with interpretation.
So.... Are you defending their inability to provide updates to customers?

1. Astro City Mini Gamepad
  2. Astro City Mini Style Kit
  3. Limited Run #356: Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (PS4)
  4. Limited Run #380: Asdivine Menace (PS4)
  5. Limited Run #383: Monochrome Order (PS4)
  6. Limited Run #384: Paper Beast (PSVR)
  7. Mutant Mudds Super Challenge Game Decks [PREORDER]
  8. SEGA Astro City Mini
That doesn't exactly transform the narrative or anything, but...yeah.
Can we all agree Sonicyogurt is good people for compiling all this info regularly for those of us too busy/lazy to track down the info ourselves?

So.... Are you defending their inability to provide updates to customers?
No. LRG is able to send out multiple "Buy this new thing!" emails a week, have an active social media presence, and sell thousands of games per week. However, they're unable to allocate someone's time to update a webpage or, heaven forbid, send out update emails (neither of which are rocket science). I think that speaks volumes to where their priorities are, but as long as things keep selling they don't really have an incentive to do better.

No. LRG is able to send out multiple "Buy this new thing!" emails a week, have an active social media presence, and sell thousands of games per week. However, they're unable to allocate someone's time to update a webpage or, heaven forbid, send out update emails (neither of which are rocket science). I think that speaks volumes to where their priorities are, but as long as things keep selling they don't really have an incentive to do better.
It would be super easy to throw together a basic spreadsheet with some of the html in various cells to make exporting the page super simple. Anyone with a bare minimum of html skills could do it. You'd think a low budget indie game developer could manage such a feat.

LRG is pretty well known at this point for doing the bare ass minimum to keep the complaints down. I remember when the idea of an update page was suggested in passing (by chrislauston I believe). A bunch of us jumped on it as a great idea that they do at least a basic html page with updates. LRG complained at how hard it would be... which tells you how lazy and weakass their coding and spreadsheet skills are... but finally after a lot of suggestions they caved and did something (which was in their best interests as it would help curtail a lot of the customer support which they were having to expand on). Of course in the end it made them look bad as the list grew out of control... so that's why (IMO) they scaled back to provide the absolute minimum and make people dig for the answers.

Less we forget, there was time when they didn't even do the bare minimum. Only way to find out the status/est delivery of your order was to email their CS. I think they did the production updates since they kept getting too many "where's my shit" messages.

How is the PS4 Doom trilogy compared to the PS3 version BFG collection?  Wasn't there something about always-online DRM having to get patched out, and even with it out it would still interrupt the gameplay every few seconds to try and phone home if you weren't connected to the internet?

so what you are telling me you only want to play PS4 games on PS4? Not PS5, PS6, etc?
I played through Until Dawn on the PS5 as part of the PS+ Collection. Every time there was a lantern on screen, it was somehow in 15-20 different spots all at the same time. I never saw that issue on the PS4.

PS4 support on the PS5 isn't perfect, and I know I don't considered it as an absolute replacement.

Also, I wish I could cancel that KOF2002UM CE I ordered. Oh well, I actually like the game so I'll get my money's worth from it and I'm sure it'll be ported in the future.
At least with LRG, there is a market for LRG CEs and you could get pretty close to double what you paid selling on ebay. That's why I'm unloading the Ys Origin CE I decided I didn't want and now it'll help pay off the PS5.

So that Scott Pilgrim email they just sent out...are they really shipping standard Switch editions soon? It's only been a month after preorders closed, so find that hard to believe. Unless they ordered a batch in advance like with Ys Switch.

How is the PS4 Doom trilogy compared to the PS3 version BFG collection? Wasn't there something about always-online DRM having to get patched out, and even with it out it would still interrupt the gameplay every few seconds to try and phone home if you weren't connected to the internet?
Can't speak for the comparison to the BFG collection, but yes, Doom 1 & 2 on PS4 will still constantly phone home every seven seconds and interrupt your gameplay if you're not connected to the internet.

So that Scott Pilgrim email they just sent out...are they really shipping standard Switch editions soon? It's only been a month after preorders closed, so find that hard to believe. Unless they ordered a batch in advance like with Ys Switch.
I had a strong feeling they would make sure the turnaround time on this game was quick.

But of course I ordered this with three other releases, Dark Crystal, Fight N' Rage and Panzer Paladin so who in the hell knows when I will get my copy. It is similar to how they got Streets of Rage 4 out quickly for Switch but my copy was tied to Panzer Dragoon and I had to wait four months before they both shipped.

I will be getting Republic Commando. I'm glad they announced this one today and not months after the digital release.

It seems like either Best Buy is ordered a smaller quantity of "limited" games or the demand has really increased.  Mummy Demastered and Obra Dinn (both Switch) are already unavailable for shipping.  In the past a lot of these LRG titles were up for months.  I really wanted to pick them up but I wanted PS4, not Switch so I passed.

It seems like either Best Buy is ordered a smaller quantity of "limited" games or the demand has really increased. Mummy Demastered and Obra Dinn (both Switch) are already unavailable for shipping. In the past a lot of these LRG titles were up for months. I really wanted to pick them up but I wanted PS4, not Switch so I passed.
Shipping may have been turned off but both are still in stock at my store.

When LRG gets high-visibility releases like this, they often fast track them. These releases bring in a lot of new customers and if those new customers' first experience is an eight month wait with no updates it's unlikely they'll be return customers. Streets of Rage 4 was another fairly recent example of this.

It's also a good baseline to show how fast things could (and honestly, should) move if they weren't clogging their production pipelines with everything they can shovel out.

It is similar to how they got Streets of Rage 4 out quickly for Switch but my copy was tied to Panzer Dragoon and I had to wait four months before they both shipped.
Consider yourself lucky. I was in a similar boat, only I also ordered Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon in the same shipment as Tiny Metal. I only got them about a month ago. Had to wait the better part of a year for those games to ship, all because of Tiny Metal, and how long that one game took to finally be produced physically.

These days I've avoided bundling my games up TOO much. I don't mind combining shipments to save on shipping, but I'm not as obsessive about it as I used to be. So long as I can get two or three titles wrapped up into the same shipment, I'm content. I don't wait for a few weeks to bundle up four or more orders into the same shipment now. I don't want to get caught up in the same kind of delay.

So what's next? KOF " the even years" bundle, or King of Fighters "The Odd Years" Bundle? 

Maybe a "King of Fighters" only prime numbers years premium package?

So what's next? KOF " the even years" bundle, or King of Fighters "The Odd Years" Bundle?

Maybe a "King of Fighters" only prime numbers years premium package?
Someone from LRG's marketing department is reading that as we speak, thoughtfully stroking their chin going "Hmmm....."

It seems like either Best Buy is ordered a smaller quantity of "limited" games or the demand has really increased. Mummy Demastered and Obra Dinn (both Switch) are already unavailable for shipping. In the past a lot of these LRG titles were up for months. I really wanted to pick them up but I wanted PS4, not Switch so I passed.
They may have passed more on to stores. Both are still available in 3 stores in my area. Also lately when I place an order online it is delivered by Geek Squad from the local store. It is nice because I can place an order in the morning and get it delivered by the afternoon.

You know, with the current state of LRG and their (at times) questionable choices of games to publish, I saw today's April Fool's joke in their reminder email for 'Doom' tomorrow and immediately thought, "Yeah, that sounds exactly like something they would release."

When the joke seems all too real, something isn't right,

Oh that's hilarious... "Includes My Name Is Mayo, My Name Is Mayo 2, and Mr. Massagy."

I remember joking that LRG would publish anything including My Name is Mayo... and they got all defensive... but then here we are.  Of course they'd do this.

So it is real?

Seeing it as a joke, and thinking I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a joke while still thinking it's a joke, only to find out it isn't a joke, isn't a very good joke.

It's like LRG is simultaneously self-aware of the criticism levied against them but they also don't fully understand that criticism. 

I'm just queasy now. 

$30 plus tax and shipping for three shitty games that cost $6 digital and take less than an hour to complete.

Anyone who buys this is a fool on April Fools.

Wait til 2030 when someone on some forum is trying to complete their physical release PS4 collection and drops $2000 for a copy of that terrible game that was available for one day.

What is the logic of ending it one hour before Doom release? Do they not want people to be able to combine shipping?
They probably know that if you combined it with Doom, you will not get your package until 2022 and there's a strong possibility that your package will arrive after the next April Fools in 2022.

I could have sworn LRG had the price of the Doom Classics Collection listed at $29.99 when it was first listed on their site, now its at $39.99.  Was I imagining things about the $29.99 price at first?

Also, Green Lava Studios sounds like something Limited Rare Games (i.e. Poop Slinger) would release.  Limited Rare had been teasing an April 1st release for months, and then they put up a stupid TShirt.  They probably decided to move the release to their bigger site (Limited Run Games) for their own April 1st joke.  The game also doesn't appear to be part of their numbered PS4 line, and they don't mention it as a distributed title.  Hmmmm.  (And yes, I believe LRG is behind the shenaningans that is Limited Rare Games).

Also, Green Lava Studios sounds like something Limited Rare Games (i.e. Poop Slinger) would release. Limited Rare had been teasing an April 1st release for months, and then they put up a stupid TShirt. They probably decided to move the release to their bigger site (Limited Run Games) for their own April 1st joke. The game also doesn't appear to be part of their numbered PS4 line, and they don't mention it as a distributed title. Hmmmm. (And yes, I believe LRG is behind the shenaningans that is Limited Rare Games).
Well LRG did admit to trying to get My Name is Mayo for an April fools joke before now... and they intended to do that before the whole Poop Slinger situation.

We actually tried to release My Name Is Mayo on April Fools last year. The idea was to put it up with no announcement or acknowledgement whatsoever and then remove it from the site the next day. We'd ship the games out, but never acknowledge the release in any way. Weirdly, the developer really didn't seem to like us treating his game like a joke, so the idea went nowhere. Probably for the better, I'd say.
My guess is after the initial prank with My Name is Mayo failed because the dev was upset at the idea, they spun up the fake company to lure the Poop Slinger dev in. But now the My Name is Mayo dev is just too tempted by the cash to resist... especially seeing what poop slinger goes for on ebay.

I could have sworn LRG had the price of the Doom Classics Collection listed at $29.99 when it was first listed on their site, now its at $39.99. Was I imagining things about the $29.99 price at first?

Also, Green Lava Studios sounds like something Limited Rare Games (i.e. Poop Slinger) would release. Limited Rare had been teasing an April 1st release for months, and then they put up a stupid TShirt. They probably decided to move the release to their bigger site (Limited Run Games) for their own April 1st joke. The game also doesn't appear to be part of their numbered PS4 line, and they don't mention it as a distributed title. Hmmmm. (And yes, I believe LRG is behind the shenaningans that is Limited Rare Games).
They did have it at $29.99, you're not crazy. That's aggravating.

So it is real?

Seeing it as a joke, and thinking I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a joke while still thinking it's a joke, only to find out it isn't a joke, isn't a very good joke.

It's like LRG is simultaneously self-aware of the criticism levied against them but they also don't fully understand that criticism.

I'm just queasy now.
I'm a sucker for collecting and will likely order this. I think LRG has mastered the art of some type of manipulative abusive customer/retailer relationship where as much as I hate them for their practices, I keep buying stuff form them. Like when people keep getting back together with an abusive significant other.

I got a shipment in yesterday from LRG with Grandia NS and Samurai Jack PS4 (which was the delayed game/reason for order taking so long) and as much angst as I had against them, as soon as I held Grandia in my hand, nostalgia took over and I'm making excuses for LRG and praising them for bringing back classics.

I need therapy.

bread's done
Back