Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Estimated Ship Date changed to September 2021:Production Status changed to On Deck:
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 198 (87.6%)
  • On Deck: 28 (12.4%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 92 (40.7%)
  • October 2021: 23 (10.2%)
  • Q4 2021: 20 (8.8%)
  • September 2021: 20 (8.8%)
  • August 2021: 12 (5.3%)
  • November 2021: 12 (5.3%)
  • Q3 2021: 10 (4.4%)
  • Q1 2022: 4 (1.8%)
  • 2021: 3 (1.3%)
  • December 2021: 1 (0.4%)
  • Q4 2020: 1 (0.4%)

198 in production. Yikes.

And here I am looking to order 2 more LRG titles ... I do wish they could do a better job at estimating the shipping period. Only reason I'm okay with this thus far is because I've always eventually gotten my games.

I am certainly glad I have minimal interest in most LRG releases.  Still looking forward to House of Fata Morgana coming in (w/ my stupid 1 Apr PS4 purchase of mayo-based games) and Bug Fables, but otherwise, I am happy to safely ignore them since their services are quite boutique...

I really wonder how many die hard fans there are for weird, random, "mostly positive" rated $4 indie Steam games and how many are just trying to corner a "speculative alternative asset."

Meanwhile, saw someone sending in copes of Mario Party for Switch to VGA to get graded.  Crazy times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, saw someone sending in copes of Mario Party for Switch to VGA to get graded. Crazy times.
That whole grading sealed games crap is just opening another can of worms. Especially after Wata and Heritage Auctions being exposed for fraud recently.

At this point they're beyond what I'd call "going concern", with new projects funding the old. Anything you order now I would consider at risk of non-delivery as they're clearly manufacturing slower than new projects are being introduced. They're literally locked into a cycle that can only be upheld by people stupid enough to continue funding them.

At this point they're beyond what I'd call "going concern", with new projects funding the old. Anything you order now I would consider at risk of non-delivery as they're clearly manufacturing slower than new projects are being introduced. They're literally locked into a cycle that can only be upheld by people stupid enough to continue funding them.
I will always point back to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/LimitedPrintGames/comments/j1n85f/limitedrungames_is_poorly_managed_incompetent_or/

The guy raised concerns about their cashflow almost a year ago and it seems like their backlog has only gotten worse since then.

bernie-madoff.jpg

I mean it is a problem if they slow down and not having any new release, but if they have something new every week they can keep going until Sony and Nintendo shut down production.

It's really about how long the audience will continue buying more than anything else. If the stuff keeps selling, they could theoretically do this in perpetuity. But if people stop buying, they're gonna be between a rock and a hard place. Even though they seem to have lost favor with lots of folks, that poor PR/publicity doesn't necessarily translate to declining sales (especially when they've got a vicegrip on physical versions for so many notable games).

The problem to me is that with the massive backlog etc you still see the owners flaunt about their personal purchases etc, not nose to the grind trying to get everyone's stuff to them. They're just riding the interest free loans from their customers more and more

It's really about how long the audience will continue buying more than anything else. If the stuff keeps selling, they could theoretically do this in perpetuity. But if people stop buying, they're gonna be between a rock and a hard place. Even though they seem to have lost favor with lots of folks, that poor PR/publicity doesn't necessarily translate to declining sales (especially when they've got a vicegrip on physical versions for so many notable games).
This. LRG does appear to be the "Kleenex" equivalent for limited physical releases in the industry. It's a trusted brand at this point with a track record so it's not surprising that LRG is getting nearly every "big" limited release title.

I don't see this limited physical collector market dying any time soon, especially since more and more publishers are already starting to pull out of disc releases. Also, there are still dinosaurs (like me) who are older games in this space who grew up/remember buying physical games. As long as there are older players (who have more disposable income) willing to throw dollars at nostalgia plays, LRG will be around.

That all said, I don't see LRG as a growth business. It's profit model is connected to the hip to an older gaming generation. It's basically on a Blockbuster path. May be it can innovate to be something else, but at some point (if it hasn't already), it'll have to change the meaning behind "Physical forever," to survive.

This. LRG does appear to be the "Kleenex" equivalent for limited physical releases in the industry. It's a trusted brand at this point with a track record so it's not surprising that LRG is getting nearly every "big" limited release title.

I don't see this limited physical collector market dying any time soon, especially since more and more publishers are already starting to pull out of disc releases. Also, there are still dinosaurs (like me) who are older games in this space who grew up/remember buying physical games. As long as there are older players (who have more disposable income) willing to throw dollars at nostalgia plays, LRG will be around.

That all said, I don't see LRG as a growth business. It's profit model is connected to the hip to an older gaming generation. It's basically on a Blockbuster path. May be it can innovate to be something else, but at some point (if it hasn't already), it'll have to change the meaning behind "Physical forever," to survive.
Completely agree that LRG will be around for some time to come as long as they are properly managed. I suspect most of their customers are in their 30s-50s, people with money to spend on physical games that are generally quite a bit more expensive than their digital counterparts. People currently in that demographic will be around for decades to come. There have been several limited run companies spring up since LRG started, none of them close to the scale of LRG, with a couple of them already having longer turnarounds than LRG when it comes to when the customer gets the game compared to when they ordered it. At this point the long turnaround on shipping games doesn't seem to be hurting LRG's sales, as customers know that it will be a long wait but continue to order anyway, myself included on occasion.

Their model would take a major hit if all console manufacturers at some point make their consoles exclusively digital. I am near certain, though, that's not happening any time soon. I remember hearing industry commentators back in the mid 2000s speculate that Sony, Nintendo, and MS would be going all digital soon. Still waiting on that one to happen. The industry has exploded since then when it comes to sales of both physical and digital games. That bodes well for LRG. A large amount of people still buy physical games, and there is an absolute ton of digital-only material available to put onto limited-run physical media to keep companies such as LRG going strong. I think that the option for physical games will be around for at least another couple generations of consoles, probably longer, so as long as LRG don't completely mismanage their business or the economy doesn't severely tank, they will be around for many years to come. Cool with me. The more choice the better.

At that point they will just release expensive CE's with a game download code. Oh wait...they already do that.

I still think this post should be moved elsewhere, there's no videogames deals here besides waiting a year for Josh and Doug to ship things

Someone refresh my memory, I just finally received my copy of Shiren on the switch but it's been so long I can't remember if this was a distributed game & not a LRG release, thus no card correct?  I just want to make sure.

Someone refresh my memory, I just finally received my copy of Shiren on the switch but it's been so long I can't remember if this was a distributed game & not a LRG release, thus no card correct? I just want to make sure.
It's a distro title. There's no card for it.

Their model would take a major hit if all console manufacturers at some point make their consoles exclusively digital.
Or... if console manufactures upped their minimum first run game productions to 50,000 (with 10k reorder minimums). That would cause LRG to have to majorly pivot to repros, push harder into the tchotchke market, and limit any game productions to truly big games to where they maybe only had a few published games per year.

Completely agree that LRG will be around for some time to come as long as they are properly managed. I suspect most of their customers are in their 30s-50s, people with money to spend on physical games that are generally quite a bit more expensive than their digital counterparts. People currently in that demographic will be around for decades to come.
At 47, I'm finding fewer games I legit want to buy. I'm still playing new release stuff from time to time... but my new release list for this year has been wiped out thanks in great part to going back over the past few weeks and playing at least some of the franchises I was planning to buy the new releases of.

I wonder if as other gamers hit their 50's and beyond if they will keep buying.. or if midlife will hit and they'll also start to think through their future plans and decide it's also not as important to hold onto every great gaming experience of the past. Younger generations definitely don't seem to care about physical releases as much. Even my three sons which grew up with a father that purchased most games physical.

Even if other gamers go through a similar transition as I am... LRG probably is safe as long as they can pivot as the market shrinks. That might mean they shrink along with their market, or they find products that sell as well as games do. Whatever the case my purchases from LRG are grinding to a halt... and when my last order is fulfilled it's unlikely I'm going to order much more from them.

The main issue with LRG to me is about maybe 60-70% of their games have experienced good to heavy digital sales. This is guesstimating of course, but many of the non bigger company releases, and even some of those as well are getting good digital sales. I know there is the preservation of games and all, but you can just play them for cheaper on PC or even the other systems. Now playing the game digitally and wanting the preservation copy is another story. I just don't find myself buying them anymore and even for some I may like such as the Shantae games on PS5, I can get cheaper digitally or just play my PC copies. LRG gets so many licenses so they are profitable for sure, but I'm mainly out. Unless amazing RPGs or visual novels are offered I'm just not that interested. I am happy for those though like the Fata Morgana games, but it's just for a small subset of the total amount of games.

The main issue with LRG to me is about maybe 60-70% of their games have experienced good to heavy digital sales. This is guesstimating of course, but many of the non bigger company releases, and even some of those as well are getting good digital sales. I know there is the preservation of games and all, but you can just play them for cheaper on PC or even the other systems. Now playing the game digitally and wanting the preservation copy is another story. I just don't find myself buying them anymore and even for some I may like such as the Shantae games on PS5, I can get cheaper digitally or just play my PC copies. LRG gets so many licenses so they are profitable for sure, but I'm mainly out. Unless amazing RPGs or visual novels are offered I'm just not that interested. I am happy for those though like the Fata Morgana games, but it's just for a small subset of the total amount of games.
Sure, what you say is definitely happening among older gamers, too. For some, the "convenience" (or price) factor eventually overtakes the physical media desire. The folks on most podcasts I listen to (Giantbomb, Player One, Completely Unnecessary) which feature guys in my age range have either started to, or opted to go buy digital. Whatever the reason(s) may be, just because one is an older gamer (30-50 range) doesn't mean that he/she is going to stick with buying physical games.

This is why I said LRG is on a Blockbuster path, and will need to evolve or change its business model down the road. The good news for them, and why I said they'll be around for a long time still, is because gamers in their late 20s/early 30s still remember buying physical games, and as they get older (and have more disposable income) will probably stick to trying to buy physical media.

That all said, I do think the more one gets closer to the lower end of that age bracket, the less nostalgic attachment they have, meaning they're more likely to "convert" to digital games down the road.

Some here have mentioned another interesting wrinkle about publishers increasing print minimums. That is a one I had not thought of. You certainly could see publishers like Sony and Nintendo raising those numbers, especially as physical media sales continue their decline, which naturally would result in increasing per unit costs. The platform holders would probably try to offset those cost increases by raising publishing requirements. That could certainly hit the bottom line to companies like LRG as they'd need to be more careful in taking risks on publishing less known titles. One could see a vicious cycle on that one, which could drive a lot of small publishers out of business - or at least discourage a lot more physical releases -- which of course, is what publishers want to do anyways since digital sales make them more money.

Estimated Ship Date changed to September 2021:
  • In Production: 199 (87.7%)
  • On Deck: 28 (12.3%)

• TBD: 92 (40.5%)
  • October 2021: 23 (10.1%)
  • September 2021: 22 (9.7%)
  • Q3 2021: 11 (4.8%)
  • August 2021: 10 (4.4%)

Aye, they package and sell digital flea market games. The stuff that is always on sale or bundled. The stuff where devs and pubs will take a slice of revenue any way they can get it. Gone are the days of worthwhile games like Bastion or Celeste coming to LRG.

Their overall catalogue quality got so poor around two years ago that it doesn't even typically register with me anymore when they announce an item that I am interested in. Their brand name has taken that much of a hit.

There is no immediacy to buy. Nothing feels exclusive or special. Everything is a timed edition now. The truly special stuff is a $29.99 game that is price gouged to ~$180 oblivion.

I have tons of cool hobby stuff to spend my money on and LRG isn't even remotely close to drawing that kind of water anymore.

limit any game productions to truly big games to where they maybe only had a few published games per year.
This is the sole reason why the wheels have fallen off. Not just LRG, but EVERY limited release company is grabbing any title that they can, many which have the quality of a potato and that should never have gotten a limited physical release, let alone a physical release in general. If you take a look at PS4 releases specifically, look how many bargain bin indie games you can find for under $12 secondhand. I'd wager that at a minimum, 80% of ALL limited PS4 releases would be in that category if they weren't "limited".

I'm guilty of supporting it though, not heavily, but still guilty. Just does suck that the only chance at physical copies for many games nowadays is buy the game "now or never", when in the past you'd have little to no problems finding a game very cheap a year or so down the line. It's been discussed in the few posts above, but it really is hilarious how many of these games go on sale for under $5 digitally.

This is the sole reason why the wheels have fallen off. Not just LRG, but EVERY limited release company is grabbing any title that they can, many which have the quality of a potato and that should never have gotten a limited physical release, let alone a physical release in general. If you take a look at PS4 releases specifically, look how many bargain bin indie games you can find for under $12 secondhand. I'd wager that at a minimum, 80% of ALL limited PS4 releases would be in that category if they weren't "limited".

I'm guilty of supporting it though, not heavily, but still guilty. Just does suck that the only chance at physical copies for many games nowadays is buy the game "now or never", when in the past you'd have little to no problems finding a game very cheap a year or so down the line. It's been discussed in the few posts above, but it really is hilarious how many of these games go on sale for under $5 digitally.
Look at Razion Ex, ng dev said it was X number release then keep reprinting cuz people are harassing them about "bots and scalpers" buying them all. Nobody has botting most of these places, maybe lrg but razion is obscure

Estimated Ship Date changed to October 2021:Production Status changed to On Deck:
  • In Production: 198 (87.2%)
  • On Deck: 29 (12.8%)

• TBD: 92 (40.5%)
  • October 2021: 24 (10.6%)
  • September 2021: 21 (9.3%)
  • Q3 2021: 11 (4.8%)
  • August 2021: 9 (4.0%)

Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, with the answer of "keep waiting", but I have an order that's been sitting for a bit in completely ready position.  Two games and some protective cases. 

How long is the wait usually when everything goes green?

Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, with the answer of "keep waiting", but I have an order that's been sitting for a bit in completely ready position. Two games and some protective cases.

8 months if you're lucky

8 months if you're lucky
This is an exaggeration.

The real timeline is anywhere between 1 week and 6 months lol.

Seriously though, there's no way for any of us to know. Sometimes they'll reveal which titles are currently being prepped for shipment but not usually.

Just remember, you'll get your shit eventually(TM).

Looking at some of my orders:

• Cthulhu Saves Christmas (PS5): 7 months, 10 days between order and fulfillment
  • Shantae (Switch): 7 months, 4 days
  • Shantae and the Seven Sirens (PS4): 5 months, 19 days
  • Panzer Dragoon (Switch): 7 months, 21 days
  • River City Girls (Switch): 2 months, 27 days
  • Golf Story (Switch): 1 month, 22 days
And then there's Skullgirls, which was almost exactly a year -- 11 months, 27 days -- but, yeah, extenuating circumstances.  Since some of those were placed at the start of open pre-orders, you can probably drop a month off several of those turnaround times.

Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, with the answer of "keep waiting", but I have an order that's been sitting for a bit in completely ready position. Two games and some protective cases.

They currently have 29 games on deck and they ship out single copies of games first... then they do complex orders. So yours will be one of the last orders they fill of whichever game/item in your order they fill last.

It's also completely possible you won't get any more updates and a package will just show up. I think that's less common these days... you "should" get at least one more update when they generate the shipping label. But even then it could be several more weeks before the items actually ship... and no guarantee you'll get another update let alone if the tracking will work.

AFAIK even single orders for the Vita Super Meat Boy which they have had on hand for over a year haven't shipped yet.  Those went on sale nearly 6 weeks ago too.  That shows you how slow they are at shipping out stuff.  So like everyone else said, you will get your stuff eventually but it will take a while.

They currently have 29 games on deck and they ship out single copies of games first... then they do complex orders. So yours will be one of the last orders they fill of whichever game/item in your order they fill last.
I don't think this is the case anymore. Five Dates sat On Deck for months, and even single orders with just that game were out-prioritized by other stuff.

Marquee stuff like Scott Pilgrim, Shantae, and RCG seem to get priority in the production/shipping pipelines. Whether that's because of volume or them not wanting to give first-time buyers bad impressions I'm unsure. But beyond that I can't really deduce any sense of order in how they decide to send stuff out.

So here are the ESRB rated covers of the PS4 Star Wars two packs listed for release on October 26.

[attachment=36060:ESRB.jpg]

and they are listed at $30 each. https://videogamesplus.ca/

So what you are telling me is that I can get this game two pack of Republic Commando and Racer before the preordered in May PS4 version of the Limted Run games single game release of Republic Commando which their site has a scheduled release date of November.

I would like to know why the Switch version is ready and in hand and the PS4 version is not.

I find this to be a problem and extremely annoying and frustrating.
Hopefully they will try and put a rush on the PS4 single release similar to what happen with SOR4.

So here are the ESRB rated covers of the PS4 Star Wars two packs listed for release on October 26.

and they are listed at $30 each. https://videogamesplus.ca/

So what you are telling me is that I can get this game two pack of Republic Commando and Racer before the preordered in May PS4 version of the Limted Run games single game release of Republic Commando which their site has a scheduled release date of November.

I would like to know why the Switch version is ready and in hand and the PS4 version is not.

I find this to be a problem and extremely annoying and frustrating.
Hopefully they will try and put a rush on the PS4 single release similar to what happen with SOR4.
This sounds an awful lot like what happened with Hotline Miami--1 & 2 were sold separately on PS4 to preorder from LRG and Special Reserve Games, then the Collection was announced with a $30 MSRP shortly before those preordered copies were shipped out.

Also, those are actually $23.64 each--the $30 price point is in CAD.

I don't think this is the case anymore. Five Dates sat On Deck for months, and even single orders with just that game were out-prioritized by other stuff.

Marquee stuff like Scott Pilgrim, Shantae, and RCG seem to get priority in the production/shipping pipelines. Whether that's because of volume or them not wanting to give first-time buyers bad impressions I'm unsure. But beyond that I can't really deduce any sense of order in how they decide to send stuff out.
The cue priority is determined by contracts. Pretty sure that Josh mentioned it somewhere at one point.

Yeah, I didn't touch on cue priority in my post.... that certainly is a thing. But within the cue priority, the items themselves are still shipped by simple orders first and complex orders last (with same game multi orders before those with other games or items).

I'd imagine eventually Five Dates will push it's way up the cue unless they keep getting in priority stuff that pushes it down. Though it also pushes a lot of other games down. This is probably where the near 8 month wait average from when preorders start that SonicYogurt posted about is happening.

What they should do is have two teams... a main team and a sub team. Main handles all of the priority stuff and then jumps back to the regular cue when they are caught up. Sub team handles the average games. So more regular orders get shipped and they still give priority to those that are under contract for that service.

EDIT:

Just watched the video above... it's interesting the guy points out that cue priority has to do with purchase quantities and nothing more. I'm sure I read something from Josh where he mentioned being under contract to ship certain games early. If they are doing that and prioritizing games that sell more copies.... ooof for the person who buys a game that sells low quantities.

Overall it was an interesting video. Very little to learn new for those of us following the company since the beginning but still not a complete waste of time. The stuff about MJR and Kelsey Lewin and the whole videogame preservation thing... that was new to me... but I gave up following that crap ages ago (along with most youtubers). As bad as LRG is... it's not my job to protect those with shopping compulsions. If anything LRG helped break me of my desire to ever collect for a console ever again. So, maybe in some ways they are doing some good in breaking others. I've seen it happen over and over here... people give up... and start selling stuff and then just stop buying. Hopefully that's happening a lot... but no doubt there are a lot of people out there in need of help.

An LRG video, paired with that WATA video, just shows that these mom 'n' pop smaller companies are just the diet/lite versions of the big boys, but with no prior history to distort the marketing.

I suppose going more digital wouldn't hurt.  That LRG video also should have mentioned the inability to cancel orders. 

I bet if we held the power to do so, shipping would be happening a lot faster.   Since, you know, when you see the game you want for $5 on Steam (or $15 on Switch, sigh), suddenly you may not want to wait for a $40+ shipping copy.

Production Status changed to On Deck:
  • In Production: 203 (86.0%)
  • On Deck: 33 (14.0%)

• TBD: 101 (42.8%)
  • October 2021: 24 (10.2%)
  • Q4 2021: 20 (8.5%)
  • September 2021: 20 (8.5%)
  • November 2021: 12 (5.1%)
  • Q3 2021: 11 (4.7%)
  • August 2021: 8 (3.4%)
  • Q1 2022: 4 (1.7%)
  • 2021: 1 (0.4%)

That LRG video also should have mentioned the inability to cancel orders.
Also on the CC issue with a refund when LRG won't cooperate... seems like the maximum for a charge back is 120 days (4 months) after purchase with a credit card. Paypal is 180 days (6 months). With the average game taking 7months after order... it seems like this isn't even an option in most situations.

What frustrates me is how slow they are to ship in-stock items, like some of the books and Super Meat Boy on Vita. I get the issues with pre-orders, but these items are physically in LRG's hands and they still can't ship them out in a timely fashion.

What frustrates me is how slow they are to ship in-stock items, like some of the books and Super Meat Boy on Vita. I get the issues with pre-orders, but these items are physically in LRG's hands and they still can't ship them out in a timely fashion.
Yeah, so true. I ordered the card binder a year ago and it took like a month to arrive after ordering even though it was in stock.

Don't worry, Super Meat Boy Vita is "on deck" and is estimated to ship August 2021.

Once your order says "on deck" It should ship within 1 to 2 weeks, so most likely you should have your shipping confirmation by August 14th.

It says all this right in the order history.

The funny thing to me about that video was that he mentioned every time he looked more into it, he found even more scummy stuff. And even though the video was an hour long he still didn't touch on Game Tengoku, Panzer Dragoon manuals, the Shantae CE boxes, the ephemeral "new" rewards program, or a myriad of other things. There really is just that much shady shit.

I'm like nightc1 in that LRG has helped break me of my desire to collect. I'll still buy Play-Asia's Vita offerings to maintain my full set, but beyond that I'm pretty over the limited print market as a whole.

bread's done
Back