Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
It's only a matter of time before one of the big third party publishers decides to release a game physically on PS5 and Switch, but not on Xbox. Of course, it'll be made available digitally across all three.

The figures shared for Playstation showed we're well past the tipping point on physical vs digital, and that imbalance is probably several magnitudes greater for digital on Xbox.

Frankly, at this point, I have to think publishing discs for Xbox is pretty pointless from a profitability standpoint. Some companies may do it for accessibility, or because they just have those "old" manufacturing pipelines still going with retailers, but cost to profit ratio for most are almost assuredly negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I welcome the tipping point.  People have gotten so fucking lazy about simply leaving their house that I can walk into stores and pick up amiibos, steelbooks, certain pre-order bonuses, and other physical goods with almost no hassle now. 

I've always big someone that loves physical media but starting with the PS4/XB1 gen, theres just not much reason for it. I'd say 90% or more of the physical retail games I get for those systems have patches. Many of the 1.0 versions on the disc are so incomplete that you'd be missing out on so much theres no reason to even play them if you cant update. XB360/PS3 had quite a few patches but most of those games were pretty playable without ever connecting to the internet.

That is definitely the downside nowadays where a game isn't in a finished state for launch. Though another reason I go physical where I can is game of the year/complete editions with updates and dlc on disc. It always makes me more interested in dlc.

At least with physical, even if you need to download content or patches, the license isn't tied to your account and/or device.  You can loan/sell/trade the game to others.

I've always big someone that loves physical media but starting with the PS4/XB1 gen, theres just not much reason for it. I'd say 90% or more of the physical retail games I get for those systems have patches. Many of the 1.0 versions on the disc are so incomplete that you'd be missing out on so much theres no reason to even play them if you cant update. XB360/PS3 had quite a few patches but most of those games were pretty playable without ever connecting to the internet.
While you're right that PS4 games require patches, given the lifespan of the console and its limited capabilities, the PS4's library still is a good home for a lot of complete games that play without the need for online. Publishers at least still bothered to release many goty or complete editions on disc (e.g., Darksiders, Catherine, LOTR Shadow of War, MK/Injustice, Tomb Raider series, Resident Evil series, Horizon Zero Dawn).

No question those sorts of physical releases will be few and far between with the PS5/Series X gen. I think it's fair to say that the PS4/Xbone era is officially the end of publishers bothering with all-on disc releases. It may still happen here and there, but with the bare fact that both Sony and MS offer disc-less consoles now and that they're entirely built and designed around a digital marketplace, it makes it an even simpler business decision to pass on retail copies, and moreso when the cost of making those retail versions will rarely (if ever) prove net positive for anyone but the biggest volume sellers like Madden or COD.

Add to all this the most important fact/incentive- publishers/devs make a whole lot more money selling digital and cutting out retailers/retail costs - and you see that the only ones who care about discs are consumer holdouts, and that pool is shrinking by the minute.

Well.  Xbox hasn't had anything physical relevant for years.  They've always wanted a full-digital future.  It's finally come to fruition for them.

I don't support a permanent Gamepass membership.  That's not my style.  I've got other things to play. 

But yes, this era has been a by-product of companies releasing unfinished games for years.  Everything is incomplete, and/or service based.  It's the customers' faults for supporting so many of these live service games, gachas, map packs + carved DLCs, and MTX abuse.  Nintendo and some Sony first-party studios are just the only ones putting out solid, complete, finished and & polished games anymore.  Everyone else is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  AAA games aren't even being developed as PC-first any longer. 

Customers support the bullshit.  Everyone is trying to be Fortnite.  But nobody else gets to be Fortnite. 

Well, with the exception of Nintendo sports titles they are. The drip-drip of content with those is ridiculous, and has caused me and many others to not buy them. Not enough people to not buy them, but some.

After playing some Hi-fi Rush, that's a game I wish I could buy physical now. It won't ever be physical, but I wish.

It's mainly licensed games (properties, music, cars) that are the issue. When I look at my physical Xbox 360 and Xbox One games, especially the ones I missed, it's a lot of licensed games. Marvel games, Transformers games, Forza and dancing games like I mentioned, Ubisoft's Naruto duology.

I don't think it's just physical games that people aren't buying on Xbox. They're steering people from digital purchases, too. If you try to buy a game for $60 that's on GamePass, they'll give you a prompt for GP when you try to buy it.

It's a phenomenal deal for the consumer, honestly. I wish something like that existed when I was a kid. But I do worry about the impacts it will have on the industry. It trains people not to buy games and the smaller developers will almost certainly be hit hardest by that. Not to say that there aren't benefits to it as well (discoverability being a big one), but I'd hate to see another mobile game-esque race to the bottom with console gaming.

As far as Xbox games go, Hi-Fi Rush seems like the most interesting exclusive in a while. Pit People was the last exclusive that really got my attention and that's been what, five years?

As far as Xbox games go, Hi-Fi Rush seems like the most interesting exclusive in a while.
It's sad that from what I'm reading, Hi-fi Rush has really bad DRM (as in very difficult to crack) and with licensed music on the ost this game already has a countdown being delisted. Just hope that Tango pushes for a physical release or they remove the DRM so people can enjoy this single-player game offline.

The Nintendo "Seal of Quality" is a real thing.  I'm surprised they don't resurrect and rebrand that marketing.   Their games are POLISHED, robust, and complete.  I feel like they could drive that point home a bit more now that gaming interests are so fragmented. 

Nintendo's been hit-or-miss lately in my book. The volume of Wii U ports is/was a little disappointing as someone who bought Wii U games. Switch Sports and the Mario spin-offs (Party/Sports) definitely did pushed out barebones releases and drip-fed content later. Pokemon's a whole thing, though I'll say performance/graphics aside I've liked what they've tried this gen. EPD's mostly been solid and HAL/Monolith are both doing really well, I think.

Nintendos seal of quality was for the sole purpose of confirming a game would play on the nes without problems. It doesn't serve a purpose anymore.

Nintendos seal of quality was for the sole purpose of confirming a game would play on the nes without problems. It doesn't serve a purpose anymore.
My understanding has always been that it was a way to combat the negative outlook gaming had in the early 80's because of the massive influx of absolute pieces of shit games; especially what was being produced for Atari.

Yeah, this is completely false historically. Change “was” to “is”, and the system mentioned to the Wii on, and this would be true

More forum relevant topic, what does the limited run games seal of quality mean to everyone here?

At first I was undecided about Night in the Woods myself. I heard a lot of praise for it, but after watching some of a playthrough on YouTube I decided not to get it. If it goes on sale digitally I might buy it, but I'm skipping on the physical release.

At first I was undecided about Night in the Woods myself. I heard a lot of praise for it, but after watching some of a playthrough on YouTube I decided not to get it. If it goes on sale digitally I might buy it, but I'm skipping on the physical release.
Same. I had thought about getting it but the gameplay just doesn't look that enticing. Also, the story is more for young adults (says multiple reviews), so doesn't sounds like it's for me.

86% on both Metacritic and OpenCritic is a lot better than the vast majority of titles LRG publishes.
Good reviews mean the game plays well without a ton of bugs and is enjoyable for those that like the genre. It doesn't mean a game is universally appealing to all gamers that exist.

Yeah, this is completely false historically. Change “was” to “is”, and the system mentioned to the Wii on, and this would be true

More forum relevant topic, what does the limited run games seal of quality mean to everyone here?
How can a seal of quality mean anything in a subjective medium? You can't objectively say Mario Tennis was released unfinished just because there is additional content even more than you can Ocarina of Time was released unfinished because they game was changed for the grey cart.

A seal of quality can really only say it works as intended, but who defines "As Intended"

Is a game LRG publishes unfinished if there are patches not on the cart? Maybe, but some games get patches years after release. Should LRG basically tell every developer that they are no longer allowed to create content once the physical is published?

Could have an Undertale effect if it's hitting YA hard.
Not sure what you mean. Night in the Woods already was sort of a big deal when it came out. As others have mentioned, it was well received by critics. The plot about an aimless young protagonist struggling or refusing to accept adulthood seems right up the YA alley.

Anyways, from what I recall, the game lost much of its appeal for reasons unrelated to the game itself, but its makers. In short, the co-creator was accused of some terrible conduct and thereafter committed suicide.

Again, it certainly sounds the game is well made, but that hardly means it's for everyone. Reading up on it, I concluded this one isn't for me.

How can a seal of quality mean anything in a subjective medium? You can't objectively say Mario Tennis was released unfinished just because there is additional content even more than you can Ocarina of Time was released unfinished because they game was changed for the grey cart.

A seal of quality can really only say it works as intended, but who defines "As Intended"

Is a game LRG publishes unfinished if there are patches not on the cart? Maybe, but some games get patches years after release. Should LRG basically tell every developer that they are no longer allowed to create content once the physical is published?
Just look up its history. The statement that its original intent and purpose was simply to confirm that the game works on the system is false. Don’t get everything your saying here, but stating a company at one point tried to have quality control measures that went beyond a game simply working on the system is an objective statement, Zuldane explained one aspect of it in the post above my first as well.

Just look up its history. The statement that its original intent and purpose was simply to confirm that the game works on the system is false. Don’t get everything your saying here, but stating a company at one point tried to have quality control measures that went beyond a game simply working on the system is an objective statement, Zuldane explained one aspect of it in the post above my first as well.
Keep making yourself look bad, I don't mind.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5066/~/licensed-and-unlicensed-products

Who wants this for a 3do??? Should've been switch
Sadly this game has not been put on either Sony's or Nintendo's eshops, only on Steam.

So PC is the only version we can get according to their rules (if you release a game physically for their console you also have to make it available on the digital store)

And yet, on that very same page: "This symbol is your assurance that the product has been evaluated and licensed by Nintendo." What part of this confuses you? Do you not understand the word "evaluated"? Yes, Nintendo has their own in-house quality assurance testers that will play through a game and send bug reports back to the developer/publisher. Sony and Microsoft do exactly the same thing. And they all rank the bugs they find according to how serious they are. Any "Must Fix" issue MUST be fixed before they will allow the game to come out on their system. They also have rules for just how many minor issues they will accept before the game will be allowed to release. And if they reject a game, the developers will have to fix the problems and submit it for evaluation again. This is in fact exactly why Day 1 Patches exist. The system owner rejected the game, but the company argues that they have contractual deadlines and they can't delay the release date, and they promise to have a patch out to fix these issues immediately upon release.

And the system of them looking over all games before release can indeed be subjective, and even overly harsh. Like famous stories of where Nintendo of America forced Power Blade on the NES to change their graphics from "anime" to "Schwarzenegger". Or how Sony of America used to hate all 2D games, and rejected tons of RPGs and fighting games. But regardless of subjectivity, having someone actually playtest every game helps immensely. Even bottom-shelf stuff like, say, Jekyll and Hyde, is still leagues above trash like Cheetahmen. In fact, could you imagine if every game from Action 52 came out individually on the NES, and flooded out all the good games? And then even more terrible crap came in because there was no barrier preventing it? Because that is exactly what killed the Atari, and almost killed all of gaming in the US, period.

And not only did their "Seal of Quality" system work to ensure that their games were decently fun, but every single other company did it afterwards. Sega had their own Seal of Quality icon for the Genesis, if you've never noticed. And, as I mentioned above, these quality checks from the system owners continue into the modern day, except usually not with an actual graphic icon anymore. Because today it's even more draconian than back then. Sure, some developers used to complain about Nintendo approval and try to release their own unlicensed games, but in this online age it's almost impossible to put anything on the PlayStation without Sony's approval. They can shut it down in minutes. There's no need for a seal icon to prove anything. The game HAD to be approved by them.

And if you still don't want to believe all these people who know better than you, then feel free to compare console games with mobile games. Mobile games are what you described, and has nobody running quality control at all except "Does it install?" and "Did it pass the virus check?" See the difference?

Nintendo's strict approval process was a result of the industry crash that happened a few years before.  One of the things that lead to the crash was the large amount of crap 3rd party games for the Atari 2600 that were coming out from tons of companies.  Atari had no control at all over 3rd parties so any company that wanted to could put out games.  Stores were swamped with so many games, most of which were garbage.  They weren't selling so the stores stopped putting in orders for new titles.

Afterwards stores were hesitant to get back into gaming.  Nintendo's strict control over 3rd parties where they not only had to approve of the games but also set limits to how many games each could release each year were a method to help stores feel better about carrying their product.

And then Tengen came along and did their own thing anyway...

I had nothing against you and wasn’t calling you out, just trying my best to correct the spreading of misinformation. But couldn’t have said it better myself in your case. Did you bother to read the very first sentence of your “gotcha” link? This applies to home consoles beginning with the Wii. When the intent behind the seal of quality program changed is debatable, but this states this program description applies to the Wii on, exactly what I already stated as when I feel it changed.

Applies to: Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch - OLED Model, New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL, New Nintendo 2DS XL, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS, Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic, Wii, Wii mini, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite

Again, read anything about the history of the program. Here’s the first article that came up when I simply typed “Nintendo seal of quality” into google. I haven’t really even read it, but after reading this, or anything on the topic (you don’t even have to leave this forum), how can you still state the original intent of this seal of quality program was nothing more than confirming a game would work on the system?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/talking_point_what_does_the_nintendo_seal_of_quality_mean_in_2019

Who wants this for a 3do??? Should've been switch
3DO repros are a nifty idea and the branding coming back looks neat, but i cannot imagine this game will make back the cost of licensing the 3DO branding from whoever owns it now. If this was a carbon engine game also coming to Switch/other consoles it would be a slam dunk get for LRG, but it seems they just... didn't? I thought the carbon engine was for stuff like this...

Makes one wonder if some of these "what were they thinking?" items are someone's pet projects.

Again, everything has an opportunity cost. While not to dog on 3DO aficionados, that's not exactly a hot system nor is D a hot title. And it's going to take a non-zero amount of the time in the queue, impacting the delivery of other items.

Weird stuff, IMO. Not my company, though.

nor is D a hot title
I have to admit, I kind of became a big fan of Warp and Kenji Eno after playing D2. So while I'm not clamoring for a 3DO game (or really even the physical PC version they are offering)... I have to say I appreciate seeing this. Again, not getting my $$$, but I have a lot of nostalgia for D, D2, Enemy Zero, & Real Sound (Dreamcast version and the D2 demo disc included which was pretty cool). It's a shame Kenji Eno died so young (42)... dude had some really creative ideas.

Maybe D will lead to D2, which IMO is a real hidden gem among gaming and deserves a life outside of the Dreamcast.

I have to admit, I kind of became a big fan of Warp and Kenji Eno after playing D2. So while I'm not clamoring for a 3DO game (or really even the physical PC version they are offering)... I have to say I appreciate seeing this. Again, not getting my $$$, but I have a lot of nostalgia for D, D2, Enemy Zero, & Real Sound (Dreamcast version and the D2 demo disc included which was pretty cool). It's a shame Kenji Eno died so young (42)... dude had some really creative ideas.

Maybe D will lead to D2, which IMO is a real hidden gem among gaming and deserves a life outside of the Dreamcast.
Same. This is cool because it has both the US release and the Japanese Director's Cut. The most common argument is: what's better the PS1 version or the 3DO Director's Cut? Already have the PS1 version so this'll give me a chance to play the 3DO Director's Cut! And thanks to LRG, we'll all have a two year warning to buy a 3DO console before the game arrives.

Same. This is cool because it has both the US release and the Japanese Director's Cut. The most common argument is: what's better the PS1 version or the 3DO Director's Cut? Already have the PS1 version so this'll give me a chance to play the 3DO Director's Cut! And thanks to LRG, we'll all have a two year warning to buy a 3DO console before the game arrives.
"two year warning"

LMAO, sad but true

Which reminds me, I need to fix my CD drive on my 3DO. Guess that means I too have a 2 year warning of finding an old circa 1994 CD drive in working condition

Wish me luck!!!!

Xtreme Sports is a little light for a physical Switch release, having played the GBC version. Then maybe somebody will say that regarding Shantae.

"two year warning"

LMAO, sad but true

Which reminds me, I need to fix my CD drive on my 3DO. Guess that means I too have a 2 year warning of finding an old circa 1994 CD drive in working condition

Wish me luck!!!!
We'll check on you Groundhog Day 2025.

I guess LRG wants to publish every single Wayforward game....
It's not like that's necessary a bad thing. I find most Wayfoward games are actually decent if not good so I don't mind the numerous releases from them even if the game doesn't perk my interest, but I understand where your coming from. Now if you repeat that statement and apply it to Kemco...yeah hand me a torch.

You might be waiting a really long time. Outside of 2.5D platformers, the most 3D game Wayforward has ever made was 'Silent Hill: Book of Memoires' on Vita. They're kind of known for their 2D games.

bread's done
Back