Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

It's an old build and there's word that in the full version you can invite people directly to your pod to form a party that then can jump across levels.

Also, stuff like netcode is tweaked all the time so it'll be better in the full version.

Should be fun to see how everyone decorates their pod. I've painted mine blue with the stickers, then turned one of the corner struts into a tree by making it brown and sticking on a bunch of leaf decorations. Ground is that weird green squiggly texture and grass stickers in the corners.

Not very manly, but there isn't much to work with yet.

Two questions:
1. Is it at all possible to upload pics from your HDD? ect.
2. Are you guys for SUREly positive that they aren't deleting the beta levels? I swore I heard that they were. If not, I'll start working on my design.

No one knows for sure. Last I heard was that the beta levels weren't compatable with the full game, but they would convert over a lot of the more popular levels.

moving in and out of the plane is damn annoying imo. I hate how jumps automatically move you into the farthest back plane. When I jump off a ledge onto an object in the front plane and I have another object in the background, it'll keep jumping into the back, and I can't make it stop doing that...

Also noticed that if I have a hole in an object in the very front foreground and you jump into it (for example a small sackboy sized wheel)....I can't seem to jump back out of it.

If you listen to the tutorial, you can press down and jump to drop to a lower front plane.

The devs have already said this is an older LBP build, it's likely they don't have that fully tuned yet. Not to mention the designers in LBP are still learning how to build with the planes system in mind.

On top of all that, the devs recently went on record that they want to tweak the movement system even more.

It'll probably be less than a week before design guides pop up in LBP websites saying how to best build levels to avoid this stuff. A lot of these problems can be solved with better level design. And you'll notice a lot of the developer made levels have no such problems.

yea i've been through the tutorial and all that. My problem is the automatic jumping into the farthest back plane. In some cases you just can't keep jumping in the same plane you want if there are other objects in the background as well.

I think it would work out better if maybe when somebody wanted to jump into the back or front, to hold the direction, and press the jump button the number of times you want to move back. So like if you're in the front and you want to jump into the back, press up and X twice. To move all the way to the back, press up and X three times. And of course while you're running on a flat surface you can just press up and down like you normally do. I guess for that to work out well though it'd have to depend on the level design like you mentioned, making sure that you can even see where the crap you're jumping into.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but I found a level (that turned out to be bad in the middle of it, where I left) that had an interesting jumping sequence. But overall, it is a gripe with the game.

I dont know how much easier they can really make it.

Edit- USA Today has 15,000 beta codes for those who are not in

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Imascrub's idea sounds like it would just complicate things.

I don't want to make any levels that are too intricate, since I'm afraid that they'll just be deleted. Can't wait to make my God of War level!!!

well the official SCEE forums are taking a vote on whether to keep or delete all the levels already made. I think they should delete them personally, but they are gonna go with whatever gets the most votes.

They should keep them. Most of them are put together really well, although not entirely thought out. Some levels have to stay though.

[quote name='js1']I got in! Smiggity, we will have to play this sometime.[/quote]

Sweetness! Yeah I got class all night until like 9:30 so when you get on and finish downloading we will have to beat some levels!

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']When is the Beta over? Just got my key.[/quote]

October 12 at 4 PM ET according to the USA Today e-mail I got with my code.

Started downloading the beta before work, can't wait to try it out when I get home!

My understanding is that if you put your level from the beta online it will still be there. If you just have it saved on your system it will be lost. Don't remember where I read that, but it makes sense.

[quote name='imascrub']yea i've been through the tutorial and all that. My problem is the automatic jumping into the farthest back plane. In some cases you just can't keep jumping in the same plane you want if there are other objects in the background as well.

I think it would work out better if maybe when somebody wanted to jump into the back or front, to hold the direction, and press the jump button the number of times you want to move back. So like if you're in the front and you want to jump into the back, press up and X twice. To move all the way to the back, press up and X three times. And of course while you're running on a flat surface you can just press up and down like you normally do. I guess for that to work out well though it'd have to depend on the level design like you mentioned, making sure that you can even see where the crap you're jumping into.[/quote]

See, now this is as much a design issue. It's actually a good thing that you automatically jump back in the planes because usually jumping up means you'd want to get to a higher plane, which are usually set towards the rear. The problem comes when the designers ignore these issues and throw stuff around willy nilly without keeping those rules in mind.

There's other things they could do like use flat objects as scenery instead of stuff that takes up a whole plane. If you create a shape and shrink its width, you'll see there's a fourth option where the piece is flat and can sit between planes or at the very backgroun. Not enough people use this.

I just played a bit and it's a lot of fun. Can anyone explain how to find other players' levels. I was using the keywords things and nothing came up. Eventually I tried to jump into other peoples games but ended up in the jump rope then the 3rd story level (I learned a lot of tricks from the person though).

If anyone wants to play sometime (hopefully I'll find some free time) feel free to add me.

Also how do you slap? I thought it was shaking the controller but that didn't seem to work, nor did moving my arms in a slapping motion.

The LBP servers are being hammered right now so nothing's appearing even if you can get connected.

To slap, hold down L2 or R2 and flick the associated control stick side to side quickly.

Ok then I guess I should be happy I connected to someone lag free somehow (at first I had some laggy connections).

I hope Sony realizes they should invest some major money in servers for the game. Of course there are probably 30k+ people in the beta which is just crazy.

This has happened to me twice in my JPN beta and not sure if it will happen to the US or UK ones but DON'T press the PS button when you're loading your own level...it wont load and there's nothing you can do other than deleting it. I even tried to reboot my ps3 and no luck. I'm also not sure if this happens if you choose play but I know it does on edit.

So far, so good. In fact, I think it's not hyperbole when I say it's great if not incredible or amazing. I chuckled like a little boy playing with Sackboy's animation controls.
embarassed.gif
I made him rub his ass on the ground like a doggie. It was hilarious.
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

I am actually surprised how easy the plane movement is. I thought it would be choppy but it's impressively fluid.
smiley.gif

I also like the facial expressions. My little guy is at a nice, neutral smile.
smiley.gif

Sephrioth doesn't look right...why not Cloud, also?

I did publish a level titled "Choices Part 1". It's VERY short, and even if you choose wrong, it shouldn't take you more than a minute to beat it. It's just an experiment to see what I could do in a short time. I plan on expanding the idea in the next day.

Tried the beta last night. Not really too excited, the automatic plane switching drove me nuts, physics drove me slightly nuts, and I really feel like you should be able to jump higher.

What are the best levels out so far, so I can give this one last shot?

[quote name='pete5883']Tried the beta last night. Not really too excited, the automatic plane switching drove me nuts, physics drove me slightly nuts, and I really feel like you should be able to jump higher.

What are the best levels out so far, so I can give this one last shot?[/quote]

For me, the best level is when you're making a level.

Does anyone know how to step back through a tutorial if you skipped it and now the question mark is gone from the poppit?

The two levels that I enjoyed are world of color and ninja warrior if you are in the mood for some pretty good platforming.

Got into the beta late, with the USAToday giveaway.

After getting over the neat graphics style a few months ago, I wasn't that excited for LBP. After playing the beta: wow. I pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday. Absolutely incredible, I'm blown away by how awesome this game is. And I haven't even done the editor yet, just going through the levels others have made.

I was sort of excited for the game but after managing to get a code from USA Today I am also blown away by the game in action. The craftsmanship, the attention to detail, etc, is just mindblowing. I didn't have a lot of time to play last night so I barely scratched the surface, but it went from a "I hate the idea of paying $60 but I'd like to get the launch goodies" to "Ohmigawd what is the fastest way to get my hands on this once it releases???"

This should have been a public demo. The game is fantastic.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Says all will carry over, not some, and that it depends on the results of the poll, which is open until Monday.[/quote]

But only some will be featured in the retail version. So get your level design shoes polished and try to make the hall of fame!

When you pre-order from BestBuy how do you get the code and do you get it when you pre-order or when you make the purchase of the retail game?

bread's done
Back