Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

I have not gotten the update notice yet. But somehow I was able to connect online for a brief few seconds before getting kicked out with an error message.

You know something, guys... I do not think this whole religious group thing is over by a long shot. I just finished a level where a skeleton was in the Christ pose on a heart. And you get a sticker of a cross filled with skulls all over it. Don't you think the Christian/Catholic groups will be offended and say "Hey! You took out this song for Muslims because they were offended and look what you are doing to us!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Se7en69']I have not gotten the update notice yet. But somehow I was able to connect online for a brief few seconds before getting kicked out with an error message.

You know something, guys... I do not think this whole religious group thing is over by a long shot. I just finished a level where a skeleton was in the Christ pose on a heart. And you get a sticker of a cross filled with skulls all over it. Don't you think the Christian/Catholic groups will be offended and say "Hey! You took out this song for Muslims because they were offended and look what you are doing to us!"[/QUOTE]

Eh, if anything that icon promotes Christianity, so I don't think it would be much of an issue. Though that image did strike me as odd too.

[quote name='Se7en69']Don't you think the Christian/Catholic groups will be offended and say "Hey! You took out this song for Muslims because they were offended and look what you are doing to us!"[/quote]

I think it's generally safer to potentially offend Christians...remember that whole outcry in the middle east about the political cartoon run in a Danish newspaper? In any case, I can't wait until Tuesday for this game. :D

Needs to be noted for importance:

20081022.jpg

[quote name='KingBroly']Needs to be noted for importance:
[/quote]

Only trouble is, these are not user created levels or content. They are regular levels and items you play/collect in the game. In fact, the skeleton level you must play in order to advance the story.

Don't get me wrong. I am against censorship, but after what happened with the recall and then seeing these things in the game, I just wondered if another storm was approaching. I hope not, but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Heh, I just played that safari level yesterday. And oddly enough I was thinking "wow this music is awesome." I hope they don't take it out, or just remove the offending vocal track.

[quote name='Se7en69']Only trouble is, these are not user created levels or content. They are regular levels and items you play/collect in the game. In fact, the skeleton level you must play in order to advance the story.

Don't get me wrong. I am against censorship, but after what happened with the recall and then seeing these things in the game, I just wondered if another storm was approaching. I hope not, but I think the pictures speak for themselves.[/quote]

Well, hate to break it to ya, but Christians have a higher tolerance for insults than Muslims, given recent events. Therefore, companies don't see it as a threat to them.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, hate to break it to ya, but Christians have a higher tolerance for insults than Muslims, given recent events. Therefore, companies don't see it as a threat to them.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if that is the case, I mean, Kevin Smith recieved 2 and a half death threats for 'Dogma' and over 300,000 pieces of hate mail. (and should I mention the crusades?)

Pretty sure every religion has been known for over-reacting to criticism once in a while.

Sorry. In more on topic conversation...

I got Amazon Release Date Delivery with my copy, and am looking forward to finally playing it next week. Any Estimations on what day it will be in my hands?

OOh, Halloween LBP Party. that could be pretty awesome, instead of coming in costume, we will dress our sackpeoples and go questing for candy and stuff.

Those skeleton things look more like something from Día de los Muertos or out of Grim Fandango.
I wouldn't say Christians are any less sensitive than Muslims. Both religious have their crazies who'll take any chance to be offended.
The head of an Islamic spokes group even criticized Sony for taking the song out.

[quote name='ohvermie']Heh, I just played that safari level yesterday. And oddly enough I was thinking "wow this music is awesome." I hope they don't take it out, or just remove the offending vocal track.[/quote]
Patch 1.02 out in Europe.

Confirmed that the entire vocal track was removed but the music is still there.

A shame, but better than being gone altogether.

Servers were up today for a few minutes! Almost ready!

[quote name='ChaseTheChuckwagon']If anyone is interested:

We have a reputable seller on ChaseTheChuckwagon.com selling 10 copies for $89.95 w/ free shipping. In stock shipping now.

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000027237[/quote]

I'll buy your product if you explain to me why I should pay $89.95 for your product when Toys R Us will be selling the game for $59.95. It's Wednesday, so if you shipped it today I would get it Saturday or maybe Monday most likely. Toys R Us will have their stock available Saturday.

No offense, but if you are trying to sleeze people out of $30 on this game, you are a little late.

[quote name='cartman58']I'll buy your product if you explain to me why I should pay $89.95 for your product when Toys R Us will be selling the game for $59.95. It's Wednesday, so if you shipped it today I would get it Saturday or maybe Monday most likely. Toys R Us will have their stock available Saturday.

No offense, but if you are trying to sleeze people out of $30 on this game, you are a little late.[/quote]

It's not me selling this and not a super bad price considering they are selling all day long on Ebay for $80-$100. They are a good reputable seller, that is all I was saying :)

[quote name='cartman58']I'll buy your product if you explain to me why I should pay $89.95 for your product when Toys R Us will be selling the game for $59.95. It's Wednesday, so if you shipped it today I would get it Saturday or maybe Monday most likely. Toys R Us will have their stock available Saturday.

No offense, but if you are trying to sleeze people out of $30 on this game, you are a little late.[/quote]
I was gonna post something similar, but I figured everyone would be aware already.

It's coming out in less than a week, anyone who would buy it at that price would have to be a fool.

You really can't defend someone trying to sell the game at around $90, it's just a selfish attempt to make money off of people ignorant enough to purchase it at that price.

Ya, I agree a poorly chosen post for "CheapAssGamer" :) I am getting a PS3 to play this game, however. I have been waiting for a great reason to either get a PS3 or 360 -- still loving my Wii! This seemed like a good reason to finally step up to one of these systems.

[quote name='cartman58']

Toys R Us will have their stock available Saturday.

[/QUOTE]

Is this confirmed somewhere? If so, I can go ahead and cancel my amazon order

[quote name='laj22us']Is this confirmed somewhere? If so, I can go ahead and cancel my amazon order[/quote]

Sorry, I should've thrown in my source. I was told by two sales associates at my local TRU in Chattanooga, TN. They will be putting their stock on the shelves to be sold on Saturday. I don't know enough about their policy to know if this is universal for their stores.

[quote name='dallow']Patch 1.02 out in Europe.

Confirmed that the entire vocal track was removed but the music is still there.

A shame, but better than being gone altogether.

Servers were up today for a few minutes! Almost ready![/quote]
I didn't really even notice any vocals while playing, so that's not a big deal at all.

I like the music for the first of the Wedding levels.

[quote name='ChaseTheChuckwagon']It's not me selling this and not a super bad price considering they are selling all day long on Ebay for $80-$100. They are a good reputable seller, that is all I was saying :)[/quote]

Sorry, you've got a link pimping their site and your name is the name of the site. So I was just going out on a limb and saying you were the seller.

And yes, paying $90 for something that I can most likely get in 3 days for $60 is pretty shady. You also shouldn't judge your pricing by what is on Ebay. I looked on ebay for wii fit earlier in the week. The game and board retail for $89.99 and I couldn't find it for less than $120 on ebay. People are sleezy and will do whatever they can get an extra buck out of people. Don't be one of those people.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I didn't really even notice any vocals while playing, so that's not a big deal at all.

I like the music for the first of the Wedding levels.[/quote]
Cafe Tacvba FTW!

What is the lyrics in question? Just how offensive is it? I really can't see how any rational person could be offended by a song in a VIDEO GAME! Geez Sony, what do you think is going to happen, a Jihad? Get real.

[quote name='Skoalboy']What is the lyrics in question? Just how offensive is it? I really can't see how any rational person could be offended by a song in a VIDEO GAME! Geez Sony, what do you think is going to happen, a Jihad? Get real.[/quote]Don't remember that Danish comic?

There were riots on the street because of a cartoon picture in a foreign country.

[quote name='jonlubbe']Not sure if that is the case, I mean, Kevin Smith recieved 2 and a half death threats for 'Dogma' and over 300,000 pieces of hate mail. (and should I mention the crusades?)

[/quote]

Why are you mentioning the Crusades? It has nothing to do with current day affairs, plus Mohammed was a warlord (i.e. conquered other people's territory).

[quote name='Se7en69']I have not gotten the update notice yet. But somehow I was able to connect online for a brief few seconds before getting kicked out with an error message.

You know something, guys... I do not think this whole religious group thing is over by a long shot. I just finished a level where a skeleton was in the Christ pose on a heart. And you get a sticker of a cross filled with skulls all over it. Don't you think the Christian/Catholic groups will be offended and say "Hey! You took out this song for Muslims because they were offended and look what you are doing to us!"[/quote]
This?

Really? Are you kidding me? It's a Beetlejuice-style level ending with a wedding between two skeleton/zombie people in a church.

You guys do realize that skulls and skeletons and death imagery have been a part of christian religion for a long time.

Christians, in general, are okay with all sorts of depictions because most christian sects don't ban religious depictions of any kind. That's not a knock on other religions, it's just the way things panned out over history. Islam bans a lot of depictions of religious stuff in art, music, etc... with the goal to keep it purely religious.

Hell, there's a whole Christian church made out of human bones. Look it up. Ever been to a crypt under a church? Mexican day of the Dead?

That level had a Dia de los Muertos theme going on.

I thought it was well done and done tastefully. I enjoyed the theme. It's neat that the game is taking you through all these different environments and cultures of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dia_de_los_muertos
The Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos in Spanish) is a holiday celebrated mainly in Mexico and by people of Mexican heritage (and others) living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and relatives who have died. The celebration occurs on the 1st and 2nd of November, in connection with the Catholic holy days of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day which take place on those days.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This?

Really? Are you kidding me? It's a Beetlejuice-style level ending with a wedding between two skeleton/zombie people in a church.[/quote]

Yeah, but you just never know how other people are going to react. Especially since this game was recalled over a religious group already. I would not be surprised if there was more uproar next week by a select few because of these images.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I have seen many depictions of a black God, nude women, even the devil in the pose/cross. It is probably the most famous iconography in history and many have used it to express their artistic freedom.

My only hope is that nothing more happens when this game finally comes out nor more patches taking stuff out. I would like my friends to get their own dang copies and not be taking my time away from the game. :lol: Just a little while ago, I was teased with Far Cry 2.

And lastly, has anybody in the USA gotten the update yet? I was playing at 8 a.m. eastern before going to work and had nothing yet. Will be turning the game on in a little while. This is my new addiction!

In a forum thread, a Muslim user commented that he listened carefully to some of the licensed music and caught the Qur'an references, and respectfully requested that they be removed. As a Muslim, the mixture of a holy book with pop music was offensive, leading Sony to pull the game despite it already being on retail shelves in some areas.

Am I the only person thinking boo-fucking-hoooooo?

[quote name='smiggity']Any word on when Blockbuster should get it in?[/quote]
I get different answers on this one. I called a Blockbuster on Tuesday and was told they had four copies but were waiting on a manager's approval to sell them. The next day I was told they had zero copies and they wouldn't get any until November 20.

[quote name='Kayden']Am I the only person thinking boo-fucking-hoooooo?[/quote]

I second this thought also. Honestly, I mean they follow the old testament... pft.

[quote name='Kayden']Am I the only person thinking boo-fucking-hoooooo?[/quote]

Yeah well what can do you. Stuff like this is never gonna go away.

How do you think Gamestop will handle future trade-ins of this title? I know that they won't take back copies of GTA with the "Hot Coffee" sku. Think they'll refuse the LBP's from the initial release?

[quote name='nbballard']How do you think Gamestop will handle future trade-ins of this title? I know that they won't take back copies of GTA with the "Hot Coffee" sku. Think they'll refuse the LBP's from the initial release?[/quote]
No.

I called 6 Blockbuster's in my area yesterday (10/22 around 3:30PM) and none of them had any available. However - 2 different Blockbuster's told me to check back Friday (10/23) and I believed one mumbled something about their system showing it coming in today.

I'll be calling the 2 shortly and see whats up.

I've given up on anyone selling recalled copy's in the Central California area... all seem to have got the notice. All Toys R'Us knew what was up, and Walmart just flat out didn't have any idea. I waited too long - I'm sure launch day there were plenty to be had at some of these retailers. Curses!

I called my Toys R Us again to confirm. The guy confirmed that Toys R Us will be putting their LBPs out tomorrow. Hopefully it's a national thing, but the guy was 100% sure that my local one would have them out tomorrow.

[quote name='cartman58']I called my Toys R Us again to confirm. The guy confirmed that Toys R Us will be putting their LBPs out tomorrow. Hopefully it's a national thing, but the guy was 100% sure that my local one would have them out tomorrow.[/quote]

If it's anything like my toys r us, he was probably just some idiot saying whatever he thought would get you off the phone..

My store has been telling me that Socom is on the truck and will be there tomorrow for the past 10 days.

The girl at my TRU said that LBP would be on the shelf on Monday.

Toys R'Us told me the same thing I heard yesterday from both stores - Oct 29th.

Called Blockbuster and they had a LBP out for rental but none for sale and when I asked about "getting a shipment today" she said if that's so it'll be this afternoon.

[quote name='nbballard']If it's anything like my toys r us, he was probably just some idiot saying whatever he thought would get you off the phone..
[/quote]

I'd usually agree with what you just said and take anything I heard from them with a grain of salt, however that was the 3rd different person to tell me though. So either they choreograph their organizational lies or they are telling me the truth. I'll be there around 10:30 AM Eastern tomorrow and will report back here.

[quote name='Maynard']I second this thought also. Honestly, I mean they follow the old testament... pft.[/quote]

What? Are you talking about the Jewish or the Muslims?

I hate the PC police as much as the next person, but even I agree with the decision to take it out.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Cause you spent 100 bucks for it on ebay. :lol:[/quote]
Hey now!

I bought two copies on ebay thankyouverymuch, and the second was only $62.
Selling one. :)

bread's done
Back