Live DoTW Deadliest Warrior | READ OP FOR MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warden's Keep is A MUST for anyone wanting to play Dragon Age. When you beat it, you get a chest to store all your extra items. In Dragon Age when you run out of room, you can't pick up new items and must either sell or destroy what you have to pick up more stuff. There are some backpack upgrades scattered throughout the game, but some are missable and even if you have all of them, you'll still want the chest.

Here's the review of the Dragon Age DLC I did for the Ragtag CAG's:

1. Awakening (yeah technically this is DLC that's also available in disk form.) Full sized 15-20 hour expansion for Dragon Age. Takes place right after the events of Origins. You can import your Origins character if they survived (preferred option) or you can bring in a kinda blank standard Warden from Orlais. You get a whole new cast of characters to fight with, although there are 3-4 that make at least an appearance, and maybe more, from Origins.

Best choice is to get the disk as it's a physical media, it's more likely to go on sale. Cheapest prices now are $33 shipped at Amazon or $33 at TRU, although it's officially on clearance (for 360) at TRU so it might drop a bit more. Joe will back me up on this, I would NOT play it until the new, and most likely, final patch comes out for Dragon Age (released on PC Monday, in certification for the consoles) as it fixes a TON of bugs in Awakening. 8 achievements for 250g

2. Warden's Keep
If you play DA at all, you'll start learning the pain of destroying loot because your backpack is full. You can buy more backpack space from certain vendors (6 are available throughout the game for about 6 gold each) but you'll want somewhere to store really powerful stuff you can get early on that you can't wear yet.

That's where this comes in. Once you beat it you get a chest with unlimited space you can store whatever you want in there. You can also get a really good warrior armor set if certain conditions are met, and you can get the most powerful sword (either one-handed or two-handed) in the game forged by the new armorsmith who appears there after completion if you got the Superman inspired meteor rock from a random encounter while traveling between areas.

$7 for 50g, storage chest, new vendors, ability to unlock the strongest sword in the game and a decent armor set for warriors (25 of that 50g is an optional moral choice near the end of the DLC.)

3. (tie) The Stone Prisoner and Leiliana's Song
This is a tie because while Leiliana's Song is the best of the DLC that's not Awakening, The Stone Prisoner is where you can get the golem Shale, who can be the best tank warrior in the game and might be needed if you're playing as a rogue or Mage so you have a 2nd warrior (and gives you options if you don't like one of the other 3 warriors or you miss the one that's missable.)

Stone Prisoner was free in all new copies of Dragon Age, but costs $15 if you bought used. Shale isn't worth $15 IMO as this DLC is one of the shorter ones.

Leiliana's Song is an awesome one IMO. You play as Leiliana as she tells her backstory of running with lover and Orlesian bard mentor Margelline. About 5-6 hours long and has pretty good pacing throughout. If you search around carefully, you'll find 6 pieces of a special leather armor that is the best rogue leather armor in the game and it will work in Origins or Awakening.

Tip on the armor: You should have 5 pieces by the time you wake up in the Chantry after busting out of prison and meet the Orlesian chantry mother who we assume is the one who converts Leiliana to the Chantry. DO NOT LEAVE THE CHANTRY. The sixth piece of the armor is in the desk behind where you wake up.

Stone Prisoner free (new copy) or $15 for new character and 50g (25 when you beat it, 25 if you complete Shale's personal quest)
Leiliana's Song $7 for 100g and the possibility of getting the best rogue leather armor in the game (25g just for beating it, 50g for getting the armor, and 25g for an optional quest near the beginning that's REALLY easy to miss/mess up.)

5. Return to Ostagar
This was the first DLC to be released post-release as Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep were available at launch (Bioware says it's because EA delayed the game from a summer to fall release.) It had tons of bugs and had to be taken down once or twice but it's up and running now.

One of the major events at the beginning of the game, no matter which origin story you choose, are the events that lead (not through your actions) to the fall of Ostagar and King Cailan. In this DLC, you find another survivor who gives you a key that Cailan wanted the Grey Wardens to have if he were to fall.

This is the shortest DLC and is kinda throwaway. Not much voice work and just fights with some darkspawn as you search for King Cailan's armor and documents. In addition to Cailan's armor/shield/sword (really good Warrior set) you also get Duncan's Sword and Dagger, great for any Rogue.

$5 for 25g (just beat it to get the 1 achievement,) great Warrior sword/shield/armor, great Rogue weapon set

6. The Darkspawn Chronicles
Like Leiliana's Song this is seperate from the main game and is a what-if scenario. Your usual main character dies during the Joining and now Allistair commands the Grey Wardens instead of you. You control the darkspawn and command them to take down Ostagar and the Grey Wardens and in turn conquer Ferelden for the Archdemon.

I don't really like the concept for this DLC and it's throwaway in terms of the story. This is why I didn't buy it and probably won't get it. Plus you only get a sword that will work in Origins or Awakening, but it's just not worth it IMO. There's much better stuff out there.

$5 for 75g (25 for beating it, 50 for two optional objectives) and a sword

I would HIGHLY advise doing all the DLC missions once the events in Lothering pass and the game opens up for you. With Warden's Keep being at the top of the priority list (unless you do Leiliana's Song before you start the main game.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hufferstl']Anyone with any comments/reviews on the Dragon Age DLC would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
If you like Dragon Age... the DLC is more of it.

None of the small packs that are on sale really change the game or add anything really substantial. They're short side-stories that are definitely skippable if you're not in love with the game already. As has been said, Warden's Keep is the winner if you only want to get one, since it adds a helpful storage chest as well as some very nice armor and weapons.

As for Awakening, it's actually really good. It's shorter than Origins, but is paced better and has more interesting characters (all IMO). Aside from some major bugs, some potentially game-ending, that have yet to be fixed, Awakening is a great buy.

Man, awesome timing on this DLC. I had just picked Borderlands back up when that set went on sale, and I just started playing Dragon Age this past Sunday. I had actually started playing Forza 3 recently as well, but I can't justify buying more cars when there are so many in the game already.

I already have a disc copy of Awakening that I got from Dell for $25 on the release date, but definitely in for Warden's Keep and Ostagar. I wish they had put all of the DLC on sale, but I will be happy to pick these two up for cheaper.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Here's the review of the Dragon Age DLC I did for the Ragtag CAG's:
[/QUOTE]

I added a link back to this post in the deal post. Thanks MSUHitman

Probably going to bite on the Dragon Age DLC. Exception being Awakenings as I figure at some point I'll grab the disc for that.

Figure I'll ask though. For Awakenings, can you play it off the disc or do you have to install it on your hard drive?

As it was explained to me, if you have the disc you play it off the disc (with standard game install to HDD option). The digital version you play with the DAO disc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I may be the only one here, but I was very excited to see the Hot Holidays car pack for Forza 3 on sale. The 2010 Nissan GT-R and the 2010 Jaguar XFR are two of my favorite cars and I had been planning on purchasing the DLC anyway.

[quote name='Izod517']As it was explained to me, if you have the disc you play it off the disc (with standard game install to HDD option). The digital version you play with the DAO disc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir.

[quote name='benjamouth']Is Dead Rising 2: Case Zero confirmed at 400 points?
That seems very cheap.[/QUOTE]

Capcom confirmed that price sometime around Comic Con.

Got into a pretty heated discussion about that on my podcast. I think this is paying for a glorified demo that everyone was giving EA crap about for considering a few months back, but Capcom does it, saying it's a prequel to the retail game, and everyone is loving them for charging only $5 for it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Capcom confirmed that price sometime around Comic Con.

Got into a pretty heated discussion about that on my podcast. I think this is paying for a glorified demo that everyone was giving EA crap about for considering a few months back, but Capcom does it, saying it's a prequel to the retail game, and everyone is loving them for charging only $5 for it.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with you. This is the company who charges for alternates costumes after all. The sad thing is, I'm still going to buy it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Got into a pretty heated discussion about that on my podcast. I think this is paying for a glorified demo that everyone was giving EA crap about for considering a few months back, but Capcom does it, saying it's a prequel to the retail game, and everyone is loving them for charging only $5 for it.[/QUOTE]

Not to derail the thread too much, but...

I think it all depends on what value we get for our $5. If it's essentially the full range of game mechanics, and gives you at least an hour's worth of play time, then it's probably worth it. I'm not going to run out and buy Dead Rising 2 for $60, I'll wait until the price drops to a more reasonable $20 or $30. In the meantime, if Dead Rising 2 gets great reviews, I won't have a problem dropping $5 to get a taste of it sooner.

Really, it doesn't seem to be any different than what publishers do with post-release DLC, it's just that this is a pre-release DLC.

Your progress carries over to the real Dead Rising 2 and it has Achievements, so I don't mind getting Case Zero on XBLA for $5 at all.

[quote name='mac101010']I couldn't agree more with you. This is the company who charges for alternates costumes after all. The sad thing is, I'm still going to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Same here, those costumes seemed outrageous and I still bought a pack... Look at it this way, you don't need to buy any of this stuff. Doesn't matter if it's .99 cents or $100, you can skip it if you really want to.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Not to derail the thread too much, but...

I think it all depends on what value we get for our $5. If it's essentially the full range of game mechanics, and gives you at least an hour's worth of play time, then it's probably worth it. I'm not going to run out and buy Dead Rising 2 for $60, I'll wait until the price drops to a more reasonable $20 or $30. In the meantime, if Dead Rising 2 gets great reviews, I won't have a problem dropping $5 to get a taste of it sooner.

Really, it doesn't seem to be any different than what publishers do with post-release DLC, it's just that this is a pre-release DLC.[/QUOTE]

That was the argument the others on the show had. My counter to that is demos are supposed to give us a taste of the game to see if it's worth the money or not if we're unsure about the game. With this scenario, I pay $5 and then if I don't like it, I can't get my money back, and with demos/betas, I'm not out the cash.

Plus you now know there will be no demo for DR 2 because there's a prequel with the same gameplay engine/mechanics available. Given the bad things that have been said about this game at every event it's been shown at (buggy, crashing, etc.) I don't feel comfortable giving Capcom $5 to test a game I don't have confidence in the quality of.

Things like this and SF costumes are the reason why Capcom has it's yearly press events in places like Monte Carlo and Hawaii.

Well now I wish I hadn't bought Warden's Keep when I first started playing the game (I stopped not that long after Ostagar, got distracted by something else). Ah well. I'll probably get Return to Ostagar at this price.

EA has never done a GotY edition for any of their games, so I don't see it happening.

FYI the Gamestop price for Awakening new just dropped to $29.98 today, so that makes the digital sale for Awakening less appealing unless you have a glut of Microsoft points.

I have sworn never to buy XBL avatar clothing. But for 40pts, I might go for the DA:O shirt. If it's sexy enough.

Already have Awakening. Will definitely pick up the 2 listed DLCs. I...I should really start playing DA:O sometime...

[quote name='MSUHitman']

Plus you now know there will be no demo for DR 2 because there's a prequel with the same gameplay engine/mechanics available.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure XBox/Microsoft terms require that all games have free demos.

Now how good of free demo is available is a different question, but I doubt capcom will risk losing a sale due to a bad free demo considering their last fiscal quarter profits were down 90%.

[quote name='bywaytm']I am pretty sure XBox/Microsoft terms require that all games have free demos.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, it seems like less than 20% (probably way less than 10) of games that come out get a demo. You'll most likely be able to trial play the prequel though since its an arcade game.

[quote name='bywaytm']I am pretty sure XBox/Microsoft terms require that all games have free demos.

Now how good of free demo is available is a different question, but I doubt capcom will risk losing a sale due to a bad free demo considering their last fiscal quarter profits were down 90%.[/QUOTE]

They only require that for XBLA games, which will be interesting to see if Case Zero is considered an XBLA game or a game add-on.

If there's a free demo for Case Zero then I'm fine with that.

Also the reason Warden's Keep is 400 points is because it's original price is 560 points. Ostagar was originally 400 points so that's why it drops to 240 points.

Dude, trust me, if you must choose 1 or the other, get Warden's Keep. See my mini-review a few posts back but you will wear out the trail going to Warden's Keep after you beat it to drop off extra loot/crafting items.

[quote name='MSUHitman']EA has never done a GotY edition for any of their games, so I don't see it happening.[/QUOTE]
It's not quite the same, but Mass Effect did have the only available DLC (at that time) included with the Platinum Hits version. I'd hope they do the same thing for the sequel or DA:O, but I doubt they will. That was before "Project Ten Dollar" after all.

For anyone with Forza 3, are any of the DLC must-buys? Or are they only worth it if there's a car you like included?

[quote name='Filbert']I may be the only one here, but I was very excited to see the Hot Holidays car pack for Forza 3 on sale. The 2010 Nissan GT-R and the 2010 Jaguar XFR are two of my favorite cars and I had been planning on purchasing the DLC anyway.[/QUOTE]

i'm in the same boat. i'm a huge car guy, i bought all the dlc that's on sale currently for forza 3. i also noticed they had the vip pack that only came in the limited collectors edition as dlc. i snagged that as well because i want to use the corvette zr1 and porsche gt3. i will probably regret buying these dlc when forza 4 comes out. i thought forza 3 was going to be the final forza for turn 10, i hope we can transfer dlc over to forza 4.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']It's not quite the same, but Mass Effect did have the only available DLC (at that time) included with the Platinum Hits version. I'd hope they do the same thing for the sequel or DA:O, but I doubt they will. That was before "Project Ten Dollar" after all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but like you said, that was with only 1 DLC. I would think, especially in the case of Dragon Age, we would hear something about a pack shortly considering those GotY editions are always around the 1-year anniversary of release, and we're only 3 months away from the 1-year anniversary of Dragon Age.

Maybe if it goes Greatest Hits when DA 2 comes out next March, but that's not a guarantee and you would lose an opportunity to save $2 on each of these 2 packs, one of which is ALMOST necessary to beat the game without an insane level of frustration (storage chest from Warden's Keep.)

We're already hearing the most-likely true rumors of a GotY edition for Borderlands, and 2K has a track record for GotY style editions.

I just don't think EA is going to do them, because they think they would lose sales on the content seperately (look at how many people share the discs for Oblivion/Fallout 3 around without actually purchasing the GotY edition.) If they did it, it would be all unlock codes on the 360 version and maybe on the Blu-Ray of the PS3 version given the larger amount of storage room.

Looks like I am going to download Return To Ostagar since I've started playing DA again. I'll finally be able to use the leftover points I have from getting Bring Down the Sky.

anyone think some of the mass effect 2 paid dlc might go on sale soon? it seems like microsoft is putting addons on sale and i've been waiting for those to dip in price a bit (the actual mission ones, not the lazy guns and clothes)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah but like you said, that was with only 1 DLC. I would think, especially in the case of Dragon Age, we would hear something about a pack shortly considering those GotY editions are always around the 1-year anniversary of release, and we're only 3 months away from the 1-year anniversary of Dragon Age.

[...]

I just don't think EA is going to do them, because they think they would lose sales on the content seperately (look at how many people share the discs for Oblivion/Fallout 3 around without actually purchasing the GotY edition.) If they did it, it would be all unlock codes on the 360 version and maybe on the Blu-Ray of the PS3 version given the larger amount of storage room.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I agree, believe me. The lack of any hint of a GOTY version or DLC compilation points all signs to "no." I still have the tiniest scrap of hope, but realistically, it won't happen for the reasons you said. EA's really counting on revenue from DLC on their games now, so it wouldn't make sense to release a retail disc with all of that content on it. I was just pointing out that it did kinda, sorta happen once. But EA's really changed directions since then in terms of DLC and whatnot. As someone who likes physical copies instead of digital ones, it's disheartening, but not unexpected.

Now, if only they'd drop the price on that Mirror's Edge DLC...

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']It's not quite the same, but Mass Effect did have the only available DLC (at that time) included with the Platinum Hits version. I'd hope they do the same thing for the sequel or DA:O, but I doubt they will. That was before "Project Ten Dollar" after all.

For anyone with Forza 3, are any of the DLC must-buys? Or are they only worth it if there's a car you like included?[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 1 was published by Microsoft, not EA.

[quote name='Jankee']Mass Effect 1 was published by Microsoft, not EA.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I can't believe I forgot that. That does explain a lot, actually. Thanks for reminding me.

What an awful summer of arcade so far. The only saving grace has been Deathspank and that was released before the promotion.

Hopefully this boat can turn around, but so far all of these games have been just tripe.

[quote name='RollingSkull']What an awful summer of arcade so far. The only saving grace has been Deathspank and that was released before the promotion.

Hopefully this boat can turn around, but so far all of these games have been just tripe.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The old school gamer in me wanted the remakes/sequels, and so far Hydro Thunder got horrid reviews, I don't want a multiplayer Castlevania, and something about Tomb Raider looks odd. Atleast I've been able to catch up on some old DLC I've been holding out on lately, like Assassins Creed and Borderlands. Bring on a ME2 sale!

[quote name='eugaet']^^ Wait. Are you including Limbo? To date, I haven't heard one bad word uttered about that game...[/QUOTE]

True, I haven't either, the previous poster may have, but I wasn't interested in it from the start, just the 3 I mentioned, and all look disappointing to me.

Hm, I may bite on some of the Dragon Age dlc. I really want to get back into that game. And redjoey, you're doing an awesome job man. I really like the 'whats in this dlc?' post. Thanks again.

[quote name='eugaet']^^ Wait. Are you including Limbo? To date, I haven't heard one bad word uttered about that game...[/QUOTE]
The awful, slobbering reviews almost falling over themselves to sound artsy in describing the game don't count as immediate warning sirens?

It isn't that bad though. it was bleh, I played the demo, was unimpressed. Will bite at $10, but $15 is just a silly price to ask for such a simple game.

I agree, limbo is way overhyped. It's just single player, black and white...nothing impressive. It kinda reminds me of that winterbottom game that was on sale awhile back for $5 and $15 for limbo is way too much. The other summer of arcade games aren't too appealing really and i'll wait for a price drop or to find those games cheaper elsewhere.

Well, I wasn't saying I'd be willing to pay $15 for Limbo. But I didn't read any reviews. Everything I heard was from friends and acquaintances. Who may or may not have drank any offered Kool-Aid.

Suppose I'll try the demo.

Limbo was amazing, guys. 5-6 hours the first time. 1 1/2 hour run through after. I've been through enough to collect the eggs. It's like the original Zelda. It takes a good amount of hours the first time, but now it's a pick up and beat in one sitting game. Not to mention, my friends love coming over and playing it, they enjoy seeing each other die.

On the outside, it's not much, but you find ways to entertain yourself with it.

Limbo is one of the best games I have ever played in my life, along with Braid and Portal.
The rest of the Summer of Arcade games are Microsoft published exclusives that they are desperately trying to promote, and I don't want any of them.

However Summer of Arcade is bookended by Deathspank, Scott Pilgram vs The World, Shank, Plants vs Zombies, and Super Meat Boy.

Comparing limbo to zelda...you've got to be on crack. It's more like limbo is like winterbottom would be more like it. If blacklight tango down, deathspank and a few previous released games (before summer of arcade) were included then it would boost the sales and more people would participate but I have yet to come across anyone who is taking advantage of the offer. I'm still holding out until the last week of the month to finally make a decision and getting 1200 ms points back kinda eases things if you're thinking of buying all 5 games.

[quote name='HDShadow']It's like the original Zelda. It takes a good amount of hours the first time, but now it's a pick up and beat in one sitting game.[/QUOTE]
There's nothing wrong about what I said. It's an old-school pick up and beat kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back