LIVE Scheduled Downtime September 29

the first part you quoted me on is that i have a feeling (i can't say this is a for sure thing) that live will go down again when the actual update comes. now if they were to do it all at once, no big deal or if it were just a quick update that only took away an hour or two after this one, no big deal yet again. my main concern is that it will end up being another at least 12 hour downtime so soon after this one and then the chance of another downtime like last year still seems possible to me. seeing as the xbox is the cheapest system on the market currently, i think a lot more people will end up with one this holiday season because of that, so the chance of downtime again seems to be rising in my mind.

again, i am not really bitching about the downtime, i am simply sticking up for people who only get a very small chance to play and when it gets taken away from them and they choose to vent a little, you have the people who play a ton more than them coming in here telling them not to complain about wasting money.

I prefer this one day of downtime now, rather than adding on a day to when they do the actual update! Maintenance is a necessity for the thing to get up and running. I normally like playing Monday nights (when I can) but this is a great opportunity to catch up on single player (or local coop) ... or spend time with friends! :D And monday night is FAR better than a Saturday!! ;)

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']the first part you quoted me on is that i have a feeling (i can't say this is a for sure thing) that live will go down again when the actual update comes. now if they were to do it all at once, no big deal......[/QUOTE]

That's just silly.

Lets say it does have to go down for 24 hours again. So they're options were to do 24 hours now and 24 hours before the update. Or do 48 hours before the update. Either way you're out 48 hours of play time, and this gives them the advantage of working out any kinks on their end first, rather than taking a chance on updating that and the end user software at the same time.

I get that it's an inconvenience for people that play a lot, or just happened to have the downtime occur on the day of the week they have free to play. But updates are needed and sometimes require downtime.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's just silly.

Lets say it does have to go down for 24 hours again. So they're options were to do 24 hours now and 24 hours before the update. Or do 48 hours before the update. Either way you're out 48 hours of play time, and this gives them the advantage of working out any kinks on their end first, rather than taking a chance on updating that and the end user software at the same time.

I get that it's an inconvenience for people that play a lot, or just happened to have the downtime occur on the day of the week they have free to play. But updates are needed and sometimes require downtime.[/QUOTE]

what i am saying is that the update should come at the same time as downtime to only cause one downtime instead of multiple ones, i think you misunderstood what i was saying. since they are going to be spread so far apart, i just get the feeling that they could have done just one 24-hour downtime instead of a 24-hour one and then a second one for the actual update.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's just silly.

I get that it's an inconvenience for people that play a lot, or just happened to have the downtime occur on the day of the week they have free to play. But updates are needed and sometimes require downtime.[/quote] Agreed. Let them take it dowm to make the service better its not that big of a deal.

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']since they are going to be spread so far apart, i just get the feeling that they could have done just one 24-hour downtime instead of a 24-hour one and then a second one for the actual update.[/QUOTE]

There's just no reason to expect that. If two down times are required, then doing it all at once would take more than 24 hours--that's simple common sense logic. So if there are two down times requried as you expect, then it was the choice between two downtimes spread out or one LONGER downtime to do both sets of changes at once right before launch.

Likely, I don't think there will be a downtime other than maybe the network being slow when it's hammered with people downloading the update. There will only be another down time if they have problems with whatever changes they're making on their end and have to take it down again to tweak something.

But if another one is required on top of this one, then obviously there is more work than can be done in one 24 hour period since it required 1 24 our period plus another one before the update launches. So it was a choice between two outages at different times, or one longer outage right before the launch.

Again, I see why people are annoyed it's down, but it's just not worth all the bitching IMO.

And there would be just as much bitchign if it was just down for 24 hours right before the update. Some people just love to bitch.

All of those people that just can't figure out what in the hell they are going to do today with no xbox live, well, come on over, I have a fix for it!...

My lawn needs mowed, I need to put the new engine in my car, someone can repair my fence, anyone do tansmissions? The other car could use a good washing, someone to entertain the kids, vacuum, dishes, dusting, mopping, pay the bills, haul off some trash, etc...
I am sure I can find something for everyone!

i totally forgot about the downtime, last night I finally popped in COD4 after having not played it for awhile only to find out XBL was down! Back to COD4 on the ps3.

Eh, I've just been playing Ninja Gaiden 2 all day. No biggie for me.

... and I do love the people complaining that there's no immediate benefit for this downtime, so it's stupid (paraphrase, heh). Look, people bitched and bitched when there were kinks last winter, and they weren't even doing anything big. Now they're doing a HUGE UPDATE to the system, and you want them to rush it? Seriously?

This isn't like every other fall update we've had, this is something completely different. If they need even MORE downtime to ensure there are no issues, so be it. What makes you unhappier, it going down now, or it not working at all after you download the update?

My one complaint about XBL being down is that the Zune network is down too.

Probably the worst part is that as a Zune pass subscriber, I can't get any music. It's not that bad, but I better write down these songs I thought of before I forget what I need to download.

EDIT: No podcast downloading problems, it still downloads them from the RSS feeds.

So When are they gonna announce that you can go back to the Original Dashboard and not have the new one?

I must admit, I have been bored today. But I've been playing with the dog outside mostly. And YES, I am Obese! :p

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So When are they gonna announce that you can go back to the Original Dashboard and not have the new one?

I must admit, I have been bored today. But I've been playing with the dog outside mostly. And YES, I am Obese! :p[/quote]

The new dash won't be out until November and when it is released MS has already stated that you can change between the old dash and the new one

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']The new dash won't be out until November and when it is released MS has already stated that you can change between the old dash and the new one[/quote]

Sweet! I probably missed that on one of the Gaming sites! Thanks!

I couldn't stream videos from my PC. When I tried it asked me to sign into Live and download the new media update (something along those lines). That sucks when Live is down you can't stream. Never knew that till now. The pop up makes no sense telling you to download something that you can't download. Or I should say something that was downloaded ages ago but I guess isn't stored on the system.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']The new dash won't be out until November and when it is released MS has already stated that you can change between the old dash and the new one[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that is not true. I think you can choose to not use Avatars, but you are stuck with the new dashboard no matter what.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm pretty sure that is not true. I think you can choose to not use Avatars, but you are stuck with the new dashboard no matter what.[/quote]

Yeah, bubbafett I think you've been confused because of the new guide essentially being like the old dashboard.

I think I've heard somebody referring to the new guide as the "old dashboard still being there" or something similar.

[quote name='SpazX']Yeah, bubbafett I think you've been confused because of the new guide essentially being like the old dashboard.

I think I've heard somebody referring to the new guide as the "old dashboard still being there" or something similar.[/quote]

they said if u dont like the new dashboard u just can boot into a game to avoid the new dashboard and use the guide which like u said is the old dashboard

This was the ideal time for Xbox LIVE to be down for me. I was actually out of town to see Weezer so it worked out perfectly.

And, for the record, Weezer was awesome.

The 'My Xbox' section of xbox.com is back up and the forums are out of read-only mode. Still can't sign into Live yet.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I couldn't stream videos from my PC. When I tried it asked me to sign into Live and download the new media update (something along those lines). That sucks when Live is down you can't stream. Never knew that till now. The pop up makes no sense telling you to download something that you can't download. Or I should say something that was downloaded ages ago but I guess isn't stored on the system.[/QUOTE]

I noticed this too. Which makes no sense to me, since I am pretty sure there have been many times I have streamed divx without being signed in.

[quote name='lilredvampy']so when do we get the avatars i dont see what they did[/QUOTE]

They were just upgrading hardware etc. on their end to get ready for the dashboard and other updates. Nothing new on our end yet. Looks like November for those updates.

[quote name='slidecage']any new news on when Netflix will work with xbox.... last i heard it was going to happen the week after thanksgiving ....[/QUOTE]

All hints have pointed toward November for all the updates.

That's the one I most look forward to as well as movies>games. Have a good 20 or so movies in my instant watch queue in anticipation (can't stand watching on my PC/laptop, will wait for this to watch them on the 50" TV) and I've not really looked hard to add stuff yet.

I don't %100 know if you can switch back for the old dash or not i do remember someone at E3 saying something about they would give you the option but well see what happens come November.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']I don't %100 know if you can switch back for the old dash or not i do remember someone at E3 saying something about they would give you the option but well see what happens come November.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that the new dashboard is mandatory. The new guide will basically be a mini version of the current dashboard...something of a compromise. Personally, the current dashboard is laggy as hell, so as long as this new one is smoother/faster, i'll be happy.

? about netflix

Why wouldn't you need a hard drive to use netflix. You need to download the apps . I mean you have to download all of this stuff to watch the shows off your pc and you need a stand alone box to watch them off your tv right now that will run you 100 bucks.

So why wouldnt you need a hard drive, your going to have to download something and who knows how big it is

Well not everything was fixed. CoD 4 was broken after the update, now that they fixed that, stats aren't posting on Halo 3.

Way to only affect your 2 most popular games M$! :)

[quote name='slidecage']? about netflix

Why wouldn't you need a hard drive to use netflix. You need to download the apps . I mean you have to download all of this stuff to watch the shows off your pc and you need a stand alone box to watch them off your tv right now that will run you 100 bucks.

So why wouldnt you need a hard drive, your going to have to download something and who knows how big it is[/quote]
Assuming the file sizes are more than 500MB, an HDD or Memory Card will be required. I could see them loading the movie into the 360's RAM but i'm venturing to guess that the movies are all standard def. and take up at least a few 100 MBs...so we'll see.

[quote name='slidecage']? about netflix

So why wouldnt you need a hard drive, your going to have to download something and who knows how big it is[/quote]

Is it certain yet if it will or won't?

I don't think it would really require a large amount of storage to stream a movie. More would be better for caching, and would make the movie less likely to skip due to network speed changes, but wouldn't be entirely necessary.

How much memory do you think a DVD player has? The movie is stored on the DVD right? And the unit doesn't need to do anything other than take that data and translate it into a signal that shows up on the TV as a movie. Now what if the DVD was being played on a DVD player across the country and there was just a really long cable connecting it to your TV? That's essentially what's happening when you stream something.

To stream a movie without interruption either requires a cache large enough to make sure that the amount of information required to play the movie is presented as it's needed without emptying the cache or a connection with enough bandwidth that that all the information is presented as necessary without any need for a cache.

No hard drive should be needed for Netflix. The standalone Raku box they sell for $100 bucks to watch these on demand movies has no hard drive in it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No hard drive should be needed for Netflix. The standalone Raku box they sell for $100 bucks to watch these on demand movies has no hard drive in it.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I'm pretty sure they have already stated that no hard drive will be needed. It makes sense. The 360 has more than enough ram to buffer a movie, and the app to play it loads in a web browser for their pc service, so why would it need a hard drive to install to?

People need to remember that they said this is the exact same service Netflix already offers for the web, with the exact same quality and selection. There is no storing the movie for later viewing. It's streaming, period.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I don't like the current dashboard either, it's slow and clunky. So I'm hoping the new one works better.[/quote]

I agree. I hope navigation is better than the current dashboard and better than it looks. From what I have seen in videos, it looks like a lot of scrolling.

[quote name='chakan']That's counter-intuitive. Why'd I get the 120 gig HD again?[/QUOTE]

The only reason to get the 120 gig hard drive is if you like lots of dlc (like for rockband), like to store and collect lots of demos, like to rent/buy lots of movies off of xbox live marketplace, and tend to buy a lot of xbla games.

Netflix is/will be nothing but a streaming service. No extra storage needed.

[quote name='chakan']That's counter-intuitive. Why'd I get the 120 gig HD again?[/quote]

Well there is that rip-the-DVD-to-the-HDD thing. Are they still doing that?

I'll get a 120 if it gets cheap enough and it's not a pain in the ass to transfer things due to licensing or something. I might get a 60 instead though whenever they release them separately. I imagine it will be cheaper and it'll be more than I ever use. The 20 works for me, but barely.

My friend still isn't able to connect...everything on the test runs fine, but XBox Live fails. He was fine the day before they took the service down. Anyone else still not able to get on?

Well XBox Live appears to be down now also as I can't login and the My XBox section of XBox.com has disappeared. XBox.com forums also appear to be down.

[quote name='SpazX']Well there is that rip-the-DVD-to-the-HDD thing. Are they still doing that?[/QUOTE]

That's the main reason I'm going to get an Elite. I still play some older games so I'll be keeping several on the hard drive.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well XBox Live appears to be down now also as I can't login and the My XBox section of XBox.com has disappeared.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Guess it wouldn't be an update without MS fucking up somehow.

From Major Nelson's site:

LIVE is having an issue where you may have trouble signing in. The engineers are aware and working on it.

Bitches better have this up by tomorrow, I need to get my Mega Man on.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well XBox Live appears to be down now also as I can't login and the My XBox section of XBox.com has disappeared. XBox.com forums also appear to be down.[/quote]

Mine just signed me out a few mins ago when I was playing Halo 3. I can't log back in either.

bread's done
Back