Lock Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ph33r m3']See here's where the 'bias' part of me goes away. If Bonds is found guilty, you wipe the records. Yea sure, you can't find out when he started it so some of his HR's may apply. But you must wipe them clean. They should investigate McGwire and Sosa who really started this whole 'chicks dig the long ball' buisness.[/QUOTE]

McGwire and Sosa started the mess? How did they start something that was a problem 10 years before their home run race?

I'm not saying that it's OK that Mac and Sosa did it. They can be left out of the Hall of Fame. That's the treatment I want Bonds to have. No Hall of Fame, and because it has such huge historical implications,something has to be done about his (tainted) records.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']McGwire and Sosa started the mess? How did they start something that was a problem 10 years before their home run race?

I'm not saying that it's OK that Mac and Sosa did it. They can be left out of the Hall of Fame. That's the treatment I want Bonds to have. No Hall of Fame, and because it has such huge historical implications,something has to be done about his (tainted) records.[/quote]

See it was 10 years before, when steroids were being eligedly used but no impact was felt. The summer that supposdely brought baseball back was when McGwire and Sosa went HR crazy. I remember watching ESPN when I was 8 or so, and they'd switch to them every at bat, that brought baseball back. And if McGwire and Sosa were using 'steroids' that would taint what a wonderful year that was.

[quote name='ph33r m3']See it was 10 years before, when steroids were being eligedly used but no impact was felt. The summer that supposdely brought baseball back was when McGwire and Sosa went HR crazy. I remember watching ESPN when I was 8 or so, and they'd switch to them every at bat, that brought baseball back. And if McGwire and Sosa were using 'steroids' that would taint what a wonderful year that was.[/QUOTE]

Right... so somehow Jose Canseco -- one of the most rampant steroid users (by his own admission, no less) -- won the 1988 AL MVP without the assitance of steroids.

Hell, I think somebody already brought Canseco and his MVP award up in this topic..

gammons was talking on weei yesterday, and he was talking about several players in the mid 70's that did it. They have been around for a long time. They were always illegal to use, the problem was there was no way to enforce the rule as you couldn't test. So if bonds/mguire/sosa are found to have done steroids, the commish office could do something. The problem is, steroids don't have any sentance in the mlb rules. Pete rose gambled, mlb rules state you ban a gambling player from baseball. In pete roses case it was a no brainer, you have precendent ie 1919? whitesox players, and you have the rule written down. Whatever the investigation finds, they will then be stuck in a corner. They have no precedent, or rule that they can follow. If they are easy on some and tough on others mlb will hear about it for a long time.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Right... so somehow Jose Canseco -- one of the most rampant steroid users (by his own admission, no less) -- won the 1988 AL MVP without the assitance of steroids.

Hell, I think somebody already brought Canseco and his MVP award up in this topic..[/QUOTE]
i did, mike greenwell was pissed, still is. He wants that mvp trophy.

dale and holly on weei, reported that according to espn desportes, david ortiz is close to signing contract extension. It will be for 2007 - 2010 at approx 12.5 mill a season.

[quote name='Mike23']The boldest prediction I've ever seen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5455724

(Note: I don't actually think this will happen, but if everything goes right, who knows?)[/quote]

The Blue Jays winning it all? As much as I love them, I don't give them the slightest chance to even get into the playoffs.

Thanks Winnie for pointing that out, forgot about ol' Jose.

[quote name='ph33r m3']The Blue Jays winning it all? As much as I love them, I don't give them the slightest chance to even get into the playoffs.[/quote]

All that coming from the guy who picked the Giants to win it all, now thats certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

The Jays have the better shot at winning it than the Giants. If both teams were to make it into the playoffs, the Jays would be better prepared, as they would've beat out atleast Boston or New York to make it. Whereas the Giants would beat out lowly NL West competition to get there.

And I'd have to go on a limb here and say the Cubs, assuming Prior or Wood recover, will be the threat they should've been the last few years. World Series caliber? Only if both the previous mentioned pitchers pitch atleast 150 innings. This leaves the Cardinals, Braves, and Mets at the top of the scrapheap or the NL spot, Angels are posed to take the AL ring. Ultimately, the Cardinals are too old and the Mets are too meshed, so that leaves the Braves. Braves youth may actually carry them to the World Series.

Braves vs Angels, Angels in 6. There, I made my predictions.

[quote name='craven_fiend']All that coming from the guy who picked the Giants to win it all, now thats certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

The Jays have the better shot at winning it than the Giants. If both teams were to make it into the playoffs, the Jays would be better prepared, as they would've beat out atleast Boston or New York to make it. Whereas the Giants would beat out lowly NL West competition to get there.

And I'd have to go on a limb here and say the Cubs, assuming Prior or Wood recover, will be the threat they should've been the last few years. World Series caliber? Only if both the previous mentioned pitchers pitch atleast 150 innings. This leaves the Cardinals, Braves, and Mets at the top of the scrapheap or the NL spot, Angels are posed to take the AL ring. Ultimately, the Cardinals are too old and the Mets are too meshed, so that leaves the Braves. Braves youth may actually carry them to the World Series.

Braves vs Angels, Angels in 6. There, I made my predictions.[/quote]

So the Sox and the Yanks being in the same division as the Blue Jays and even the Orioles who were hot 1/2 of the season, makes me idiotic for saying the Jays don't have a chance at the playoffs?

[quote name='ph33r m3']So the Sox and the Yanks being in the same division as the Blue Jays and even the Orioles who were hot 1/2 of the season, makes me idiotic for saying the Jays don't have a chance at the playoffs?[/quote]

No, just idiotic for saying the Giants will win it all. I'm not going to let you live that down, ever.

But on topic, not calling you idiotic for saying that, but I just think the Jays have a solid shot, should Boston or New York get into a hole and can't buy their way out. But I think the AL is going to be pretty solid, outside of Kansas City, Seattle, Baltimore, and Tampa. Those are the only 4 teams that I don't foresee in the races this year. I think Seattle and Tampa will be fighting for their divisions in the next few years, Tampa especially since they have an awesome young team, just in need of some pitching help.

[quote name='craven_fiend']No, just idiotic for saying the Giants will win it all. I'm not going to let you live that down, ever.

But on topic, not calling you idiotic for saying that, but I just think the Jays have a solid shot, should Boston or New York get into a hole and can't buy their way out. But I think the AL is going to be pretty solid, outside of Kansas City, Seattle, Baltimore, and Tampa. Those are the only 4 teams that I don't foresee in the races this year. I think Seattle and Tampa will be fighting for their divisions in the next few years, Tampa especially since they have an awesome young team, just in need of some pitching help.[/quote]

Oh sweet jesus craven please please forget my pick! I'll never disobey you again masssta'.

The Giants i've already listed the reasons why I think they have a chance to win, and I don't know where the fuck you got I thought my Giants were going to win it all, the whole time i've said ChiSox.

"But on topic" Colorado will never ever go anywhere.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Oh sweet jesus craven please please forget my pick! I'll never disobey you again masssta'.

The Giants i've already listed the reasons why I think they have a chance to win, and I don't know where the fuck you got I thought my Giants were going to win it all, the whole time i've said ChiSox.

"But on topic" Colorado will never ever go anywhere.[/quote]

Damn right you won't disobey. :booty:

Check please!, from the first thread. You did go on to say it'd be the Giants and ChiSox, with the ChiSox winning but you did say it. I know I wasn't making it up.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Damn right you won't disobey. :booty:

Check please!, from the first thread. You did go on to say it'd be the Giants and ChiSox, with the ChiSox winning but you did say it. I know I wasn't making it up.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's like he said, that's with everything going right. The Jays will be anywhere between 80-95 wins, and they'll be exciting. I'll attend a few games, anyway.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Damn right you won't disobey. :booty:

Check please!, from the first thread. You did go on to say it'd be the Giants and ChiSox, with the ChiSox winning but you did say it. I know I wasn't making it up.[/quote]

I knew I said that the Giants were going to the WS....and your point is? Don't worry about the check, I don't think they accept food stamps.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I knew I said that the Giants were going to the WS....and your point is? Don't worry about the check, I don't think they accept food stamps.[/quote]

You said you never said the Giants were going to win the World Series, and I proved you wrong. And damn right I won't accept food stamps from your ass as payment for proving you wrong.

You're a fucking riot.

AL-- East-Jays
West-A's/Angels
Central-Sox

NL-- East-Mets/Braves
Central-Cards
West-Dodgers

Cards beat the Angels in the Series.

[quote name='craven_fiend']You said you never said the Giants were going to win the World Series, and I proved you wrong. And damn right I won't accept food stamps from your ass as payment for proving you wrong.

You're a fucking riot.[/quote]

No shit..didn't see that. Eh, I guess i'll eat my crow. Hmm, I thought I picked Chi-Town..nonetheless, go Marlins.

Angels, every body is saying the Angels, I don't see them winning the West. This year it's going to be Oakland. The Angels have to many holes and questions, IMO. This year the A's finally have some depth to go with the talent they have always had.

AL
East -Yankees/Blue Jays
Central- Whitesox
West- A's

NL
East- Braves
Central-Cards/Astros
West-Dodgers

Yes folk's Jinsanity's picks:

AL West:
A's

AL Central:
White Sox

AL East
Yankees

AL Wildcard: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

NL West:
Giants

NL Central:
Cardinals (But if Prior and Wood come back soon gimme the Cubs)

NL East:
Braves, no question.

NL Wildcard: Dodgers/Phillies

I'm gonna go out on a limb and make some bold predictions.
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- Twins
AL West- A's
AL Wildcard- Angels/Jays

NL East- Mets
NL Central- Brewers
NL West- Dodgers
NL Wildcard- Cards/Phillies/Braves

I think the A's will win the West but the Angles will take the Wild Card route all the way to the World Series.

MLB shot down rumors of a fifth team added to the playoffs in each league. The 2 Wild Card teams would've played in a 3 game series leading up to the playoffs. Anyway, no go. Would've meant the end of wild cards routinely going to the World Series.

I am amazed at how many have picked the angels. They didn't improve, lost a great catcher and a solid #4. They still have no offense besides vlad.

my picks

AL

East yanks
central clevand
west oakland
wild card...red sox/whitesox fighting it out, whitesox take it due to the redsox losing to tampa/baltimore/toronto to much

NL
East atlata
central mil
west giants
wild card st louis and the mets...mets win assuming pedro stays healthy and pitches close to 180ip

Any team that Mike Scioscia coaches will always be in contention. They have enough talent to get in the playoffs and that's where Scioscia shines.

[quote name='depascal22']Any team that Mike Scioscia coaches will always be in contention. They have enough talent to get in the playoffs and that's where Scioscia shines.[/quote]

That and Santana breaking out this year, and its going to be tough to top. Don't discount Rivera, Figgins, and Anderson to put up decent numbers.

It was back and forth with me between the A's and Angel, I just think the A's didn't do enough to move ahead of the Angels. It will be one of the hottest divisions in baseball, but I don't see it overshadowing either Central division or the AL East. I just think those 3 headed monsters (4 headed if throw in Houston).

It looks to be a great year, even with the investigation looming overhead.

Damn the rain. This game was actually very good, pitching dominated first 3 innings, then the White Sox scored off small ball, then a HR by the Tribe.

clemans met with theo for over an hour today, behind closed doors, and in the red sox clubhouse. Also spoke with former catcher and sox coach bill hasleman. Clemans best friend, sox pitching coach al nipper also spoke briefly. Clemans comments afterwards was that he is done pitching as of now. He and his 2 youngest sons cried after watching the video the red sox sent him. Said his sons are warming up to the fact of him playing for boston. CLemans said he and his family will go to a couple of games in fenway to gauge the fans reaction to him, as well as get a feel for the atmosphere.

[quote name='dafoomie']If anyone wants streaming audio of the Red Sox game, try this:
http://209.6.153.47:8000/listen.pls

Use Winamp or a media player that can play a shoutcast stream.[/QUOTE]

I'd also recommend MLB audio. Can't go wrong when you can listen to any game this season for $15.

I'm busy flipping back and forth between the Brewers game and the Cubs/Reds game.

[quote name='greendj27']I'd also recommend MLB audio. Can't go wrong when you can listen to any game this season for $15.

I'm busy flipping back and forth between the Brewers game and the Cubs/Reds game.[/QUOTE]
MLB audio is a good deal, but not so hot for me since I used to listen to many of the games for free before they stopped allowing the stations to do that.

[quote name='craven_fiend']That and Santana breaking out this year, and its going to be tough to top. Don't discount Rivera, Figgins, and Anderson to put up decent numbers.

It was back and forth with me between the A's and Angel, I just think the A's didn't do enough to move ahead of the Angels. It will be one of the hottest divisions in baseball, but I don't see it overshadowing either Central division or the AL East. I just think those 3 headed monsters (4 headed if throw in Houston).

It looks to be a great year, even with the investigation looming overhead.[/QUOTE]
rookie pitchers never are never dominant. If they don't start in the bullpen, usually they are around .500 and win between 10 - 14 games tops. And anderson is a walking handicaped person, he goes down every year.

[quote name='ryanbph']rookie pitchers never are never dominant. If they don't start in the bullpen, usually they are around .500 and win between 10 - 14 games tops. And anderson is a walking handicaped person, he goes down every year.[/QUOTE]

Dontrelle Willis, Dwight Gooden, Felix Hernandez...

So after basketball practice I come home to see on ESPN 11-5 Braves beating the Dodgers. Awesome.

Rolen hit a grand slam today.
Pujols had two HRs, including a mammoth upper-decker.

Carpenter looked filthy through 3... then the Cards had an 8-run 4th, and Carp didn't look nearly as sharp after he came out.

Awesome home opener. Rollins extended his streak, too.

dwight gooden, rookie year 14 wins, dontrelle willis rookie year 14 wins should have stopped there. Felix hernadez, I assume from the mariners, was 4 - 4. While both gooden and willis were well over .500 in there rookie season, they also played on very good team, and came in at 14 wins. That was the high number I gave for rookie pitchers for wins. Matt clement had 14 wins last year, would you consider him to be a great? Here are some other great pitchers and there rookie year numbers.

clemans rookie season 9 - 4
gregg maddux first season 2 - 4, next year full season 6 - 14
tom glavine 2 - 4 followed by a 7 - 17 record
pedro 0 - 1 , 10 - 5
rich harden 5 - 4, followed by a 11 - 7
johan santa 2 - 3, 1 - 0, 8 - 6

tim hudson had great stats from the get go and didn't fall off like willis did in the next year. Very few pitchers come in and pitch great the first season. Yes it happens, but the ana guy has the odds against him having a breakout season. It is usually the combo of better hitters then they have every faced, and a much longer season.

[quote name='ryanbph']dwight gooden, rookie year 14 wins, dontrelle willis rookie year 14 wins should have stopped there. Felix hernadez, I assume from the mariners, was 4 - 4. While both gooden and willis were well over .500 in there rookie season, they also played on very good team, and came in at 14 wins. That was the high number I gave for rookie pitchers for wins. Matt clement had 14 wins last year, would you consider him to be a great? Here are some other great pitchers and there rookie year numbers.

clemans rookie season 9 - 4
gregg maddux first season 2 - 4, next year full season 6 - 14
tom glavine 2 - 4 followed by a 7 - 17 record
pedro 0 - 1 , 10 - 5
rich harden 5 - 4, followed by a 11 - 7
johan santa 2 - 3, 1 - 0, 8 - 6

tim hudson had great stats and didn't fall off like willis did in the next year. Very few pitchers come in and pitch great the first season. Yes it happens, but the ana guy has the odds against him having a breakout season. It is usually the combo of better hitters then they have every faced, and a much longer season.[/QUOTE]

Just because a pitcher only has 14 wins does not mean they weren't great. You need to realize that most rookie pitchers do not start the season in the rotation.

I was just replying to the fact that you said that rookie pitchers cannot be dominant. Willis was 14-6 and a 3.30 era, Gooden was 17-9 his rookie year (not sure where you got your stats, but these are from mlb.com) with a 2.60 era. That's pretty damn dominant. Felix only pitched in 12 games and had a 2.67 ERA and I threw him in because it was the most recent example.

I can give you more, like Roy Oswalt, 14-3 with a 2.73 ERA . You can't look just at wins when evaluating a pitcher, especially if they only pitch half a season their first year. Their ratios (WHIP and ERA) are much more indicative.

Well, the Reds offense looks to be in mid-season form scoring 7 runs. Now if only we could find some pitchers that would give up less than that per game.

im fresh home from the ORIOLES opener, so i still have a buzz and all. enjoy trailing the BIRDS we are going all the way.
CHARGE!!!!!

Best day on the sports calendar. Picture in picture is definately a god send on a day like this.

Got an email from my buddy today bragging about his tix for the A's-Yanks opener tonight. If it's like it used to be, there will be about 50% Yanks fans in Oakland tonight. Hell, I learned most of the Yankee traditions in Oakland. It was very eerie when I finally did see the Yanks in the Bronx. If it wasn't 50 degrees I would've sworn I was back in Cali.

Well, it's 4-1 Padres, and it looks like my Giants can't get a break.

Couldn't get that hit we needed had 3 opportunities to score a run, Bonds looks to be doing fine, Schmidt pitched a very good game, but he left the pitches to Piazza and Greene hang...and right as I type this the Pad's just made a helluva catch..

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, the Reds offense looks to be in mid-season form scoring 7 runs. Now if only we could find some pitchers that would give up less than that per game.[/quote]

And I honestly hope that Arroyo is the help they need. I want him to succeed there. I really thought they'd play better than that today. But then again, that one inning blew it wide open. If not for that inning, it was a close game.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']im fresh home from the ORIOLES opener, so i still have a buzz and all. enjoy trailing the BIRDS we are going all the way.
CHARGE!!!!![/quote]

Thats what was said last year around this time too, and look what happened. I think the East is way too strong to make any decisions yet. Though I still see the Red Sox and Yankees as the top dogs, with Toronto nipping at their heels.

Darn my Giants start out 0-1. Eh, Bonds played well, need Winn to get back to the way he was. Only first game of the season, i'm suprised by the amount of blowouts today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back