Lock Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've seen that.

Barrett is a bitch. Not just because he's a Cub, but because that was a blatant cheapshot. You don't punch someone in the face while they're walking away.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']First time I've seen that.

Barrett is a bitch. Not just because he's a Cub, but because that was a blatant cheapshot. You don't punch someone in the face while they're walking away.[/quote]

On Baseball Tonight, they sided a little toward more for Barrett. Mostly because of a 'code' between all catchers. Basically, when the balls being thrown home and it's catcher on catcher, they lay off a little.

A.J. also smacks home plate, and walks right through Barrett. But, this is A.J. Pierzynski so I take all of this with a grain of salt.

dam i missed the fireworks..oh well..

boy Billy Wagner is turning me upside down...he blew 4 runs to lose yesterday's game and almost blows this one....i know he is good but why do i feel Wagner is going in the same direction as Benitez did...you know lives and dies by the fast ball....i maybe prematurley worried but 4 runs is alot to work with...

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Damnit Foulke...he is seriously losing it.[/quote]

Atleast he didn't blow it and kept Papelbon from being used tonight.

Justin Verlander pitched a beautiful game for the Tigers last night. He even hit 99mph in the 9th on route to a complete game shutout.

even know foulke sucked the other night, allowing 4 runs, his era isn't bad. 4.81, after the disaster. He also had 2 runs added to his total when willie mo let it go into the bullpen, and there was another 2 er due to some poor defense that same week. He is a tad above the league avg in era, has 1 extra k then the league avg, and his whip is well below the league avg (foulke, 1.11, leag avg 1.41, lowest is .84). He is doing bad, but he also isn't doing great. Last year was the first time he has ever spent on the DL, come july, I think he will be fine. He has some pretty identical numbers to timlin. Timlin usually doesn't allow an earned run, but he has been letting in about 50% of inherited runners to score.

[quote name='TC']Justin Verlander pitched a beautiful game for the Tigers last night. He even hit 99mph in the 9th on route to a complete game shutout.[/QUOTE]

I wish the mets had someone in the 4th and 5th spot as dominatinf as those two..the regret of trading Scott Kazmir will always live with me because Victo Zambrano sucks!

[quote name='integralsmatic']I wish the mets had someone in the 4th and 5th spot as dominatinf as those two..the regret of trading Scott Kazmir will always live with me because Victo Zambrano sucks![/quote]

Ask and you shall recieve.

Mets trade Jorge Julio for El Duque

I'm not really sure what to make of this trade. It looks like the Mets got the better end of the deal. But we'll wait and see.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Ask and you shall recieve.

I'm not really sure what to make of this trade. It looks like the Mets got the better end of the deal. But we'll wait and see.[/QUOTE]
Arizona is saving about 2 million dollars out of this, they can save 2.5 million more once they find someone that'll take on Julio. And I'm sure they can find someone that will, middle relief is always a commodity.

El Duque has been terrible so far this year. Lots of strikeouts but a very high ERA.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Damn it Loretta, why'd you try for two?![/quote]

Atleast Manny hit a homerun. Sure it would've been 3 runs instead of 2, assuming everything else happened the same way, but a lead is a lead.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']No more lead...damnit, I think Clement might be hurtin'.[/quote]

But a tie game is better.

And yeah, Clement always goes apeshit when he gets hit. Hopefully he is settled when he comes back.

And its good to see Loretta stay at first.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Ask and you shall recieve.

I'm not really sure what to make of this trade. It looks like the Mets got the better end of the deal. But we'll wait and see.[/QUOTE]

haha yeah i saw it at Friday's...im not really sure what to make of this either...I mean El Duque is a nice needed starter...i think he will do good here because he has pitched here before so as long as he is healthy he could be a nice fit here. I thought Minaya wouldve waited till deadline to try and acquire somoene like Zito. Again anything is better than Victor Zambrano.

ill never forget this night in Baseball....

the royals belted 3 hrs in a row and yet lost

Houston stole 7 bases and lost

why does the royals still losing even though they had a great performance still not surprise me......

[quote name='integralsmatic']ill never forget this night in Baseball....

the royals belted 3 hrs in a row and yet lost

why does the royals still losing even though they had a great performance still not surprise me......[/QUOTE]

I was listening to that game live and it was crazy!

[quote name='TC']I was listening to that game live and it was crazy![/QUOTE]

Can you believe it..and the day after that the Royals beat the Yanks..haha this is great. El Duque Pitched well today too even though it was the Marlins..

And good God, Bonds in 2nd all time on the HR list. :rolleyes:

I really don't want to see him break it, especially if he is found to have done 'roids. I know he's not the only one to break records that has done them, but he's going after one of the biggest records in baseball; hitting streak record is the biggest IMHO.

[quote name='craven_fiend']And good God, Bonds in 2nd all time on the HR list. :rolleyes:

I really don't want to see him break it, especially if he is found to have done 'roids. I know he's not the only one to break records that has done them, but he's going after one of the biggest records in baseball; hitting streak record is the biggest IMHO.[/QUOTE]

dont forget the average record too...still to date no one has hit 400 except for Ted Williams...I still dont think he can do it...unless he goes to the AL next year because his body is in such poor condition. he cant even pull the same outfield speed he used to have. ...if anything the question is who will pick him up next year...

[quote name='integralsmatic']dont forget the average record too...still to date no one has hit 400 except for Ted Williams...I still dont think he can do it...unless he goes to the AL next year because his body is in such poor condition. he cant even pull the same outfield speed he used to have. ...if anything the question is who will pick him up next year...[/quote]

My guess is the Yankees, Tigers, and possibly A's may make a push at him. I really hope the Red Sox don't go after him, as they'd have to alternate him and Ortiz and I'd rather them not have to do that.

And we all know he's got enough ego to stay another year if he's within reach of Aaron. And by reach, I mean within 30-40 homeruns.

And yeah, he'd much rather a ring than the HR title, but he won't get the ring in San Fransico, since they seem to get older rather than younger every year.

[quote name='integralsmatic']dont forget the average record too...still to date no one has hit 400 except for Ted Williams...I still dont think he can do it...unless he goes to the AL next year because his body is in such poor condition. he cant even pull the same outfield speed he used to have. ...if anything the question is who will pick him up next year...[/QUOTE]
I don't think we'll see anyone hit .400 again. The closest was Tony Gwynn, but he was robbed of his chance by the strike. Nomar might have had a shot if he never got hurt. The new scoring rules favor this era over Ted's, back in those days, sacrifice flys counted against your average, today they're like walks, they don't count as an at bat. Had he played under today's rules, his average in 41 would have been around .419.

The next hardest thing to do is probably the triple crown, Yaz did that in 67, I don't see that happening again either.

The HR record was never the most important record, even when it was still legitimate.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't think we'll see anyone hit .400 again. The closest was Tony Gwynn, but he was robbed of his chance by the strike. Nomar might have had a shot if he never got hurt. The new scoring rules favor this era over Ted's, back in those days, sacrifice flys counted against your average, today they're like walks, they don't count as an at bat. Had he played under today's rules, his average in 41 would have been around .419.

The next hardest thing to do is probably the triple crown, Yaz did that in 67, I don't see that happening again either.

The HR record was never the most important record, even when it was still legitimate.[/quote]

I think Ichiro could hit .400, but the 61 game hit streak I think is impossible.

Let's go Sox, only down 6-3!

Clement is freaking me out, by the way. I hope he hasn't peaked for the season already. Whenever he gets hit he is erratic afterwards, which is understandable but still frustrating.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I think Ichiro could hit .400, but the 61 game hit streak I think is impossible.[/quote]

I don't think he can, pitchers have finally figured out how to pitch him and he's not having the season he had in '04.

[quote name='Genocidal']I don't think he can, pitchers have finally figured out how to pitch him and he's not having the season he had in '04.[/QUOTE]

i think thats due to the WBC hang over team japan is having...i even know that Nichioka of The Chiba Lotte Marines isnt even having a great season...i think Ichiro is bound to have one bad season. It also doesnt help that they have two highly paid players that arent doing there job...

[quote name='craven_fiend']My guess is the Yankees, Tigers, and possibly A's may make a push at him. [/QUOTE]

I'd vomit if he passed Hank in a Tigers uniform.

[quote name='integralsmatic']dont forget the average record too...still to date no one has hit 400 except for Ted Williams...I still dont think he can do it...unless he goes to the AL next year because his body is in such poor condition. he cant even pull the same outfield speed he used to have. ...if anything the question is who will pick him up next year...[/QUOTE]

Ted Williams was not the only one to hit .400. He was the last person to do so. Williams season was not even close to the single season record. That goes to Hugh Duffy who hit .440 in 1894. Williams only hit .406 :lol:

There actually are quite a few players who hit over .400 in the late 1890's and early 1900's.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Let's go Sox, only down 6-3!

Clement is freaking me out, by the way. I hope he hasn't peaked for the season already. Whenever he gets hit he is erratic afterwards, which is understandable but still frustrating.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

Halladay is a rock.

Too bad the #2, #3, and #5 starters all are hurt/struggling. At least B.J. Ryan, Overbay and Glaus are doing well.

I can't believe the Cards almost signed Burnett... to think I wanted him that badly, too! God I'm a fool.

Interesting talk on the records; my thoughts on them:

Triple Crown - somewhat of an archaic record, simply because average and RBIs are not nearly as glamerous as they were back in the day; both of those stats play second fiddle to sabermetrics...

Hitting .400 - I can't see this happening anytime soon. In this day and age it's going to have to be done by some slap-hitting speedy little guy... someone like Ichiro. That, or it's going to be done by someone in a place like Boston or Colorado, where routine fly balls will turn into hits.

56 game hit streak - Again, this is something that I can't see being broken. Too much luck is involved. If you hit the ball hard four times and line out four times, that's just bad luck. Not to mention the fact that if it's an elite, middle-of-the-order hitter, they're going to walked during games, thus stripping at-bats away from them and making it even more difficult.

PS: Pujols rocks.

[quote name='greendj27']There actually are quite a few players who hit over .400 in the late 1890's and early 1900's.[/quote]

That's because back then they played in HUGE stadiums so there was a lot more space for a ball to drop that was hit to the outfield although I would think this would be somewhat offset by the diluted talent pool for pitching (because there are too many teams) and the fact that lots of routine flyballs back then are HRs today... just a different era I guess and hard to compare...

[quote name='javeryh']That's because back then they played in HUGE stadiums so there was a lot more space for a ball to drop that was hit to the outfield although I would think this would be somewhat offset by the diluted talent pool for pitching (because there are too many teams) and the fact that lots of routine flyballs back then are HRs today... just a different era I guess and hard to compare...[/QUOTE]

I agree, but someone thought it was the record and I was just trying to let them know more about it. Back then people weren't trying to hit home runs for the most part. Definitely was a completely different time.

[quote name='greendj27']I agree, but someone thought it was the record and I was just trying to let them know more about it. Back then people weren't trying to hit home runs for the most part. Definitely was a completely different time.[/quote]

I know - I was going to post the same correction that you did until I read your post (that TW was just the last person to hit .400, not the only). Looking to that era makes Babe Ruth's accomplishments even that much more impressive - he set the HR record in 1919 (I think) at 29 HRs when the rest of his TEAM only hit 4 combined. He was just insane.

[quote name='greendj27']Ted Williams was not the only one to hit .400. He was the last person to do so. Williams season was not even close to the single season record. That goes to Hugh Duffy who hit .440 in 1894. Williams only hit .406 :lol:

There actually are quite a few players who hit over .400 in the late 1890's and early 1900's.[/QUOTE]

dam i didnt even know that....wow thats crazy...haha oh well than Hugh Duffy is the man!

[quote name='H-Town Info']clemens to the astros[/quote]

It's about time. He's been sitting on my Fantasy League bench all freaking season and I'm going without Carpenter and Colon right now and Dontrelle totally sucks.

[quote name='javeryh']It's about time. He's been sitting on my Fantasy League bench all freaking season and I'm going without Carpenter and Colon right now and Dontrelle totally sucks.[/quote]

I hear you...I have had clemans not playing, kerry wood, mark prior and 2 other sp on the DL for most of the season. Been killing my pitching stats.

Phil Nevin traded to the Cubs for Jerry Hairston Jr

Looks like the Cubs aren't expecting Lee back any time soon, though getting rid of Hairston wasn't too much to give up.

And Clemens is insane, he said he'd go to a contender, but he goes to the Astros, that don't really seem to be in the race, but this was how it was last year as well. I just think the BoSox or Yanks would've gladly paid him more and given him the chance to go to the postseason.

it is too bad about clemans not coming to boston, but it isn't like they didn't pay him well in houston...22mill pro rated..as for the trade, wtf was texas thinking. I know nevin is really getting ob that often, but he still has 9 homers, and his ba is higher then haristion

[quote name='ryanbph']it is too bad about clemans not coming to boston, but it isn't like they didn't pay him well in houston...22mill pro rated..as for the trade, wtf was texas thinking. I know nevin is really getting ob that often, but he still has 9 homers, and his ba is higher then haristion[/quote]

Not really sure what they were thinking in getting Hariston, unless they were attributing Nevin's stats to playing all a hitter friendly park.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Not really sure what they were thinking in getting Hariston, unless they were attributing Nevin's stats to playing all a hitter friendly park.[/QUOTE]

They have a younger hitter who they think is better than Nevin anyway. Nevin hasn't been good for a few years now.

[quote name='greendj27']They have a younger hitter who they think is better than Nevin anyway. Nevin hasn't been good for a few years now.[/quote]

That doesn't explain why they wanted hariston, who is even worse then nevin. Unless it was a salary dump, why would they want a mediocre to below avg utility player rather then a couple of low level prospects.

[quote name='ryanbph']That doesn't explain why they wanted hariston, who is even worse then nevin. Unless it was a salary dump, why would they want a mediocre to below avg utility player rather then a couple of low level prospects.[/QUOTE]

No one was going to give up much for Nevin, so they took a guy who can fill in at multiple positions for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back