Lollipop Chainsaw Preorder TRU $44.99 w/ FS

D.Choy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Toys R Us.com has Lollipop Chainsaw up for preorder at a cool $44.99 with free shipping ($15 off MSRP) for both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Different websites are giving off different dates for the release though. Amazon, Target, and Wikipedia = 4/24, TRU = 5/22, BB = 6/1, and GameStop = 8/1. I know for a fact that it has an official release of May 19th for Japan but WB hasn't announced a firm release date for United States so tread lightly. Signs obviously point to an April release date for the US though.

Lollipop Chainsaw now has an official release of June 12, 2012

Still, a decent price for a game that looks to be pretty fun. If you want those preorder codes you are out of luck if you choose to order from TRU. The preorder costumes are exclusive to Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop.

Link: http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=lollipop%20chainsaw&origkw=lollipop+chainsaw&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

----------

Also, recently there were some new anime inspired costumes announced for the game. If any of you watch anime and are fans of High School of the Dead, Deadman Wonderland, Is This a Zombie, or Manyu Hiken-Cho then this news will excite you! Screenshots of all the costumes can be found at the link below, thanks Rychy.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ool-the-dead-x-lollipop-chainsaw-illustration

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't even buy this at $30 now. I read earlier today that the game is only four hours long...four hours. That is just unacceptable in today's gaming landscape. No wonder so many retailers had this for $45, they know once word gets out, this will drop faster than Shadows of the Damned did (a fun game, but also not worth the $60 tag).

[quote name='Maineavalanche']I wouldn't even buy this at $30 now. I read earlier today that the game is only four hours long...four hours. That is just unacceptable in today's gaming landscape. No wonder so many retailers had this for $45, they know once word gets out, this will drop faster than Shadows of the Damned did (a fun game, but also not worth the $60 tag).[/QUOTE]

like most people in this thread are saying, we're not buying it at $45 for cost per minute of gameplay (which I think is pretty damn stupid anyway). We're buying it to support Suda51 and a different type of game so we're not saddled with ONLY shooters in the future.

[quote name='Maineavalanche']I wouldn't even buy this at $30 now. I read earlier today that the game is only four hours long...four hours. That is just unacceptable in today's gaming landscape. No wonder so many retailers had this for $45, they know once word gets out, this will drop faster than Shadows of the Damned did (a fun game, but also not worth the $60 tag).[/QUOTE]

Yeah 1st play through the Destructoid review say 5-6 hours and that may be generous. He says it is designed for replay so if that is your sort of thing I am sure you will get your money's worth. Sounds a little old school arcade like, but it has tons of unlocks you cannot do in one play through.

Suda deserves the money. They make great games and Shadows of the Damned, NMH and now this are near AAA quality.

That said if you can't afford a title at $45 then just wait for it to drop. All of their titles have dropped, and I plan on red boxing this if available, if not I'll just buy it when It's a lot cheaper.

[quote name='confoosious']like most people in this thread are saying, we're not buying it at $45 for cost per minute of gameplay (which I think is pretty damn stupid anyway). We're buying it to support Suda51 and a different type of game so we're not saddled with ONLY shooters in the future.[/QUOTE]
That's a silly dichotomy. Either inane Suda crap or the "every game is a generic shooter" hobgoblin you sort like to trot out for your five minute hate? That's a really convenient way to slice gaming, and, if you asked me, having played every Suda game since Killer7, I'd rather have those shooters, if that's the choice.

Which it isn't.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Destructoid gives it a 9.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-lollipop-chainsaw-229321.phtml[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure I don't like destructoid for some reason, but it's great to see a high score for it. A) Because I bought it only knowing very basically what the game is about (cheerleader zombie killer?! Sounds awesome and reminds me of Buffy! WANT!) and B) because IMO high review scores = good word of mouth = sales.

Chiming in on the "New IP Price point" argument...

If you sell the first game for too low:
...it may be viewed as a "budget" title
...it's sequel(s) will be ill-met with a $60 price point ("The first one was cheaper!")
...it won't recoup/profit enough for there to be any sequels

Look at Sorcery as a good example. It was $40 out of the gate. I had been looking forward to the game until I saw the $40 price tag. That price kept me from pre-ordering it. I've since read that it's also a short game. Now I might just rent it instead, or pick it up when it hits less than $20. There goes that IP's chance for success. Granted, there are more factors than just that, but it was certainly one factor.

I do agree, however, that ALL games should have a lower starting price point. Game developers/publishers bitch about used games. Get a damn clue. Lower the $60 ceiling to $50 across all games. I'm SOMEWHAT surprised EA or someone big hasn't led that charge already.

[quote name='kayne2000']hardly. when you are competing against well established franchises and launching a new IP and you are doing it this late into the generation of systems where there is SOOOOO much to choose from in the 20 dollar and under range. there is no good reason to launch this game at 60 bucks. not one good reason.

fire sale this at 30 from the start and it will fly off the shelf. this isnt halo or COD that will sell millions regardless and can even sell the 150 dollar special editions with ease. this is a new IP in a crowded market. firesale it at 30 bucks to start with. let it gain a fanbase. then part two can try the 60 dollar thing and hopefully have a story mode beyond 4 hours. which is another point 4 hours is exceptionally short for a single player only game. since as far as printing CD's goes this isnt exactly something that cost 60 bucks to do. burning CD's is cheap and easy. and if we use digital downloads this is a non issue. so a fire sale for 30 bucks from the start is plenty of money to make a profit because it will sell a lot more copies. people are a lot more willing to try a new IP at half price.[/QUOTE]

You're a moron.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's a silly dichotomy. Either inane Suda crap or the "every game is a generic shooter" hobgoblin you sort like to trot out for your five minute hate? That's a really convenient way to slice gaming, and, if you asked me, having played every Suda game since Killer7, I'd rather have those shooters, if that's the choice.

Which it isn't.[/QUOTE]

Defensive much?

I don't have anything against shooters (or madden) but if that's all that's selling, that's all we're gonna get.

Look how shitty hollywood, the king of copycat profits, has been. All we get is the same summer blockbuster cause people don't pay to see anything else. So while I love the avengers, if I don't go see an indie flick, I'll stop being able to see indie flicks

Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?

So if the game is $44.99 at amazon again what benefit, if any, is there to ordering from TRU besides paying more when you factor tax and getting the game much later without any DLC?

[quote name='GBAstar']So if the game is $44.99 at amazon again what benefit, if any, is there to ordering from TRU besides paying more when you factor tax and getting the game much later without any DLC?[/QUOTE]
You get the benefit of knowing that you are a stand up law abiding tax paying citizen of this great nation, unlike so many of these morally bankrupt Amazon customers?

I got nothing.

[quote name='ShockandAww']You get the benefit of knowing that you are a stand up law abiding tax paying citizen of this great nation, unlike so many of these morally bankrupt Amazon customers?

I got nothing.[/QUOTE]

It's alright I don't feel bad about stiffing the use tax. I figure when I buy most items I get taxed, if I go to resell them on eBay I get taxed (via fees) by eBay and PayPal and then at the end of the year I get taxed again by the government on the new 1099-K. Whatever tax isn't collected by Amazon will get taken from my pockets eventually.

OMG... Seriously. Does every thread on CAG have to turn into a bitch-fest?

My copy is confirmed to arrive next week. Wish it was sooner but oh well. Excited!

I would easily pay $60 for four hours of great gameplay over forty hours of mediocre/repetitive gameplay (ie your generic triple AAA titles that sell millions). I can't wait to get my copy tomorrow from Amazon.

I like how my old thread got revived. I originally placed my order with TRU when this deal first went live way back when. I eventually switched it to Amazon (when they price matched TRU) and will be receiving my copy later today.

I really can't wait to play this. Nothing better than getting to play a new game after studying hard for finals.

[quote name='pwnthee']

Look at Sorcery as a good example. It was $40 out of the gate. I had been looking forward to the game until I saw the $40 price tag. That price kept me from pre-ordering it. I've since read that it's also a short game. Now I might just rent it instead, or pick it up when it hits less than $20. There goes that IP's chance for success. Granted, there are more factors than just that, but it was certainly one factor. [/QUOTE]Move titles are priced at $40 no matter what.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Guess you will continue to play COD 78 at full msrp while every other developers who wants to try something new are chased out of the market because no one is willing to pay the same money they pay for the established franchise's minimally distinguished 20th iteration of the same old same old.

Fun fun fun.[/QUOTE]I support tons of franchises(RZ silver mainly from games) & I have no bias towards the COD's or other franchises of the like since I've never played any of them. I own all the COD, BF, MOH...but their still sealed in the backlog. And full MSRP to me is $40 since I pm damn near every game I buy to at least $40 anyways.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I mean it slipped under my radar where I could support the game by buying it at full price.

Now since it's that low already I'm waiting for it to drop to $20 new. I don't buy used anymore unless the game is OOP, or is significantly lower used (like $20)[/QUOTE]gotcha

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Which is my point. If you're not willing to risk $60 (in this case, $45) on a new IP, then you don't get to complain when there are no more new IPs.[/QUOTE]read my 2nd response

]

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm sorry, but how is a sequel a new IP? Dead Island was the new IP, not Dead Island 2.[/QUOTE]

enuf is saying that dead island was a new ip when it came out for $60, but as a result of the current gen consoles phasing out, the msrp for its sequel has been lowered to $50 instead of $60.

reading comprehension.

[quote name='technicalstylez']enuf is saying that dead island was a new ip when it came out for $60, but as a result of the current gen consoles phasing out, the msrp for its sequel has been lowered to $50 instead of $60.

reading comprehension.[/QUOTE]

The argument these people have been making is that new IPs should come out at a lower price point.

Short term memory.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The argument these people have been making is that new IPs should come out at a lower price point.

Short term memory.[/QUOTE]

and dead island 2 is still a mostly new IP in the scheme of things. and its only sequel is launching at a lower price which is a good start. the point this is dead island 2 not dead island 5555

[quote name='kayne2000']and dead island 2 is still a mostly new IP in the scheme of things. and its only sequel is launching at a lower price which is a good start. the point this is dead island 2 not dead island 5555[/QUOTE]

My initial assessment of how dumb you are still stands.

nice try.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The argument these people have been making is that new IPs should come out at a lower price point.

Short term memory.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kayne2000']and dead island 2 is still a mostly new IP in the scheme of things. and its only sequel is launching at a lower price which is a good start. the point this is dead island 2 not dead island 5555[/QUOTE]

Dead Island 2 is my favorite new IP.

[quote name='Enuf']Here's a new IP that sold pretty well but is adjusting it's sequel MSRP to $50 b/c of where we are in the console cycle. Dead Island 2
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/11/dead-island-sequel-to-retail-for-50[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm sorry, but how is a sequel a new IP? Dead Island was the new IP, not Dead Island 2.[/QUOTE]I never said Dead Island 2 was a new IP^^^. My point is that Dead Island sold well enough as a new IP to warrant a sequel which will most likely cost more than the 1st one. But they seem confident that they can profit at a $10 lower MSRP too. My guess is they also figure that price difference will help boost sales overall to offset the $10 loss per game.

So if certain new IP's changed there pricing structure as well they may also benefit from a sales boost & word of mouth from those extra sale could generate more sales. The reason I bolded "certain" is b/c new IP's have recently succeeded at $60 KoA & Dragon's Dogma did well outta the gate but the problem with this title is it's gonna be clasified as niche. Also, the previous games from the company have suffered from poor sales too so a change in sales strategy should definitely be considered to avoid similar sales.

I'll risk a blind buy if someone that I know gives the game a good backing.

^ KoA failed according to Big Huge Games/EA =(..hence the bankruptcy, studio shutdown, and the forming of Epic Baltimore.

not disagreeing with wut ur saying, just wanted to point that fact out.

[quote name='technicalstylez']^ KoA failed according to Big Huge Games/EA =(..hence the bankruptcy, studio shutdown, and the forming of Epic Baltimore.

not disagreeing with wut ur saying, just wanted to point that fact out.[/QUOTE]more behind the scenes http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-sales-surpass-410-000/
"Any new intellectual property has it hard these days, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning seems to be doing okay with 410,000 copies sold in the US since launching a couple months back. WPRI.com reports the RPG from 38 Studios and Big Huge Games moved another 80,000 units in March, according to NPD data.

As NPD spokesman David Riley notes, it's "an impressive figure for just two months, no matter how you slice it."

It's even more impressive when one takes into consideration the data only covers the US and doesn't tally PC sales made through digital distribution networks (as EA recently stressed). In that case, the Reckoning portion of the Amalur franchise is doing well for a new IP."

just look at Homefront it sold very well but had alot fallout from corp. but there's gonna be a sequel too. Now on the other side DNF sold well also(but it's sales came from new deaply discounted copies).

500k is 1/2 what they were expecting to sell. that number is great for a new ip and i wasn't arguing that, but its hard to say its successful when it results in the company filing for bankruptcy and being subject to an investigation by law enforcement led by the state governor.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/0...res-bankruptcy-law-enforcement-investigating/

things were looking good for them when the article u posted was written back in april..but now, according to the article i linked written just a few days ago, not so much.

[quote name='Enuf']more behind the scenes http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-sales-surpass-410-000/
"Any new intellectual property has it hard these days, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning seems to be doing okay with 410,000 copies sold in the US since launching a couple months back. WPRI.com reports the RPG from 38 Studios and Big Huge Games moved another 80,000 units in March, according to NPD data.

As NPD spokesman David Riley notes, it's "an impressive figure for just two months, no matter how you slice it."

It's even more impressive when one takes into consideration the data only covers the US and doesn't tally PC sales made through digital distribution networks (as EA recently stressed). In that case, the Reckoning portion of the Amalur franchise is doing well for a new IP."

just look at Homefront it sold very well but had alot fallout from corp. but there's gonna be a sequel too. Now on the other side DNF sold well also(but it's sales came from new deaply discounted copies).[/QUOTE]

Kingdoms of Amalur did great numbers. If the 1.2 million after 90 days number is to be believed (and I haven't seen anyone dispute it since that number was said), that is damn good, especially for a game with an online pass that people got pissed about.
The game wasn't a failure; management of the studios was. I would definitely say the game was a success.

I've enjoyed Suda 51's efforts, but I picked up Shadows of the Damned used for $20 and really enjoyed it but would've felt very jipped if I paid a full $60 for it. Lollipop Chainsaw will probably be the same and my gaming plate is incredibly full atm so I'll probably wait for it to drop below $30.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Speaking of sales numbers, anyone know how Xenoblade Chronicles is doing?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Xenoblade Chronicles was exclusive to Gamestop and the Nintendo store. Given that, the sale numbers were not provided to the NPD. Unless Nintendo wants to publicly reveal or leak how the game sold, it doesn't look like we're getting those numbers.

[quote name='GuardianE']Unfortunately, Xenoblade Chronicles was exclusive to Gamestop and the Nintendo store. Given that, the sale numbers were not provided to the NPD. Unless Nintendo wants to publicly reveal or leak how the game sold, it doesn't look like we're getting those numbers.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully well though. That game was an absolute treat.

Looking forward to Lollipop first impressions later.

Anybody else get an e-mail from TRU saying their order had an "unexpected delay?"

Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Anybody else get an e-mail from TRU saying their order had an "unexpected delay?"

Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now.[/QUOTE]
My Amazon order says:

Important Message
We thought you should know that we're experiencing a delay with your order. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please take note of the revised shipping and delivery estimates marked in red below.
Delivery estimate: June 19, 2012 - June 23, 2012

This is with FSSS, I don't know if that's part of the reason.

are you still sticking to your dumb statement?

I guess Max Payne 3 is still "mostly new IP" :roll:

My Amazon order is schedule to arrive today, but I used Prime for shipping.

Now just to see if my preorder bonus code is emailed to me or inside the game.

[quote name='adamthered']My Amazon order is schedule to arrive today, but I used Prime for shipping.

Now just to see if my preorder bonus code is emailed to me or inside the game.[/QUOTE]

never had a single code be inside the game from amazon. you should get it in email.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My Amazon order says:

Important Message
We thought you should know that we're experiencing a delay with your order. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please take note of the revised shipping and delivery estimates marked in red below.
Delivery estimate: June 19, 2012 - June 23, 2012

This is with FSSS, I don't know if that's part of the reason.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, the plot thickens. It might not be just TRU dropping the ball somehow.

My e-mail:
597365743.png

The worst thing is the e-mail says that I can call them and cancel my order for a refund, but when I called them to do so, they told me they could not cancel the order because it is "processing." Though it has not shipped. :bs:

bread's done
Back