Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ Best Buy Exclusive

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Theatrical Edition] (9-Disc) Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ (StickerBook) [Best Buy Exclusive]

6735bc07e2ad0f1065df1c6fcf63d1aao.jpg

Price: $84.99 MSRP
Pre-Order Price: $64.99 Sale
Release Date: April 6, 2010
SKU: 9794135
Pre-Order Date: March 2 & 7, 2010
Minimum Deposit: $5.00 Required
Limited Quantity: 5-10 copies per store
Size: Jumbo
Other: StickerBook
Link: BestBuy.com
Store Locator: BestBuy.com

According to Brana, Best Buy is getting LotR Trio on BD Jumbo SteelBook but printed on Sticker. Now we have 4 different versions of LotR Trio (Best Buy, Future Shop, FNAC and Amazon.de). Best Buy are the stickerbook, Future Shop is jumbo, FNAC (French) get 3 individual steelbook cases, and Amazon.de (Germany) will have 3 individual steelbook cases housed in a slipcase.

Edit: Pre-order this and get a Steelbook case for free. Required $5 deposit. Must order between 2/4/10 and 4/5/10. Limit 3 per customer.

What is Stickerbook?
Stickerbook is printed on a high gloss photo sheet then laminate on the blank steelbook.
postcard-104341-3557-b.jpg

What is SteelBook Jumbo?
SteelBook Jumbo holds up to 6 disc, measuring by 6.7" x 5.4" x 1.14"
JumboProducts.jpg

2lj58wx.jpg

Courtesy to mmcvey (Bluray.com)

Fine Print: Available Tuesday, April 6, $5 deposit required. DVDs and Blu-ray Discs not included with Steelbook case. Pre-order must be made between 02/04/10 - 04/05/10. Release date subject to change. Limit 3 per title per customer. While supplies last. No dealer. Good in USA only. Void where prohibit. Distributed in the USA by Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91522. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Justin42']The "gotcha" is if your local store is awake enough to actually, y'know, put them out on the shelves.

Of the 3 BBs nearest me, one ALWAYS has the steelbooks out on time and in their proper display, one ALWAYS lags behind and eventually just tosses the steelbooks on the shelf in random places (not a central display of any kind), and one never seems to ever have them. (Which unfortunately, that's the closest BB on a Sunday morning to go and grab one-- I may have to bite the bullet and ask an employee to dig me out one)[/QUOTE]No argument from me on that point.

All the more reason to get there at open, so you can make sure you get one and get someone to find them if they're not out on the floor.

The UP and Snow White steelbooks were on endcap displays, and I'd expect this to be no different. If you don't see them, and it's something as big as this is appearing to be, they would have them out and ready to go on Sunday morning. If not, find someone to get one for you.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Good news everyone,

Pre-order date has changed from 3/7 to 3/2.

Good night![/QUOTE]Looks like it'll be Tuesday morning and not Sunday morning when we need to run over there.

If that's the case, then it might not be in the weekly ad for this coming Sunday, so that might be good for anyone trying to get one.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like it'll be Tuesday morning and not Sunday morning when we need to run over there.

If that's the case, then it might not be in the weekly ad for this coming Sunday, so that might be good for anyone trying to get one.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

I think the majority of us are grabbing the steelbooks while waiting for the extended. I have no intention of buying the actual blu rays.

[quote name='munch']I think the majority of us are grabbing the steelbooks while waiting for the extended. I have no intention of buying the actual blu rays.[/QUOTE]

This steelbook holds 6....

The extended edition might be 9 discs or so, no?

[quote name='munch']I think the majority of us are grabbing the steelbooks while waiting for the extended. I have no intention of buying the actual blu rays.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flameofdoom666']This steelbook holds 6....

The extended edition might be 9 discs or so, no?[/QUOTE]
Blu-ray Jumbo holds 6 discs, so the remaining 3 digital copy discs will be placed in cd sleeve, otherwise all 9 discs will fit in DVD Jumbo.

What's the point of this (unless you're just planning to re-sell the steelbook case)? Isn't it almost certain that there'll be an extended steelbook, which is what you'd want to house your extended BDs anyway?

[quote name='Blumpkin']I must be the only CAGer that doesn't like steelbook packaging of blu-rays. This isn't the extended version anyways, so pass.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Most of us are CAGs so you definitely must be the only Cheap Ass Gamerer.

Damn glad I happened to see this thread on the front page...will be snagging this when its available in the store. Can't wait, glad to see they are finally releasing something at least...looks like this date will be secure lol.

i'll see if my BB has any later, and will grab if they do. Won't be too sad if they don't. Though the $50 Sideshow gift card might be cool to have.

Local store had the end cap but no steelbooks out; not sure if I missed them (El Hoardo) or if they just hadn't gotten around to stocking it. The employee who came by while I was staring at the empty rack was even more confused than I was and spent about 5 minutes reading the entire end cap over and over, then went to the back, and said they didn't have them and no one knew what they were.

[quote name='Justin42']Local store had the end cap but no steelbooks out; not sure if I missed them (El Hoardo) or if they just hadn't gotten around to stocking it. The employee who came by while I was staring at the empty rack was even more confused than I was and spent about 5 minutes reading the entire end cap over and over, then went to the back, and said they didn't have them and no one knew what they were.[/QUOTE]

I copied down the SKU on my iPod for if I visit the Evil Empire™ tomorrow. It'll make it easier for them to tell if they have any.

I can't jump, not for theatrical versions. I'd definitely buy a steelbook of the extended edition. I just hope the third movie isn't a flipper. ;) Probably won't be, they'll just gut out a lot of audio track options.

[quote name='Mixer236']Again, why release the theatricals yet again? Waiting for the Extended versions...[/QUOTE]
Nothing against you lol, but why do people continue to ask this over and over still? They obviously like money, so why not release the theatrical and then the extended a year or so down the road? They will make a shitload off the theatrical, and when those sales slow down they can really clean up with the extended versions...just like they did with the DVDs. I actually like both versions myself, and with the rumors of how good of quality these are supposed to be...can't wait. Glad they are throwing in digital copies of each movie too.

Anyways, checked my local BB and they still havent put up the display or anything so it looks like it will be sometime next week.

god, I hate best buy... went to the one closest to home this morning... they had the end cap set up... but none in place... asked an associate who quickly answered "you're too late - those sold out yesterday"... I muttered under my breath that they weren't even supposed to be out out until tuesday but whatever...

so I called another location about 10 miles away to see if they had theirs out...

they have them - but they can't sell them until sunday 03-07 according to the information marked on the box... I told them that had been changed and it's now tuesday 03-02 but they insisted it'll be next sunday...

might try there tuesday anyway...

meh idc to much for the lord of the rings, but that's bogus they releasing two separate versions. aren't these movies crazy long?

[quote name='goku89']Just picked up 5.40 with tax[/QUOTE]

Post like this irks me, why not say HOW you got it for $5.40 (obviously with certs) because not everyone has a opportunity to get it for that price you stated.

[quote name='Poor2More']Post like this irks me, why not say HOW you got it for $5.40 (obviously with certs) because not everyone has a opportunity to get it for that price you stated.[/QUOTE]

huh? The minimum deposit on these in stores is $5. The .40 is likely tax. Everyone should be able to get it for that price (again adjusting for tax) if it's available in their local stores.

[quote name='Poor2More']Post like this irks me, why not say HOW you got it for $5.40 (obviously with certs) because not everyone has a opportunity to get it for that price you stated.[/QUOTE]
What? Isnt it only $5 to preorder...dunno, seems like he got it for the price it should be in the store.

[quote name='minimafiaaj']meh idc to much for the lord of the rings, but that's bogus they releasing two separate versions. aren't these movies crazy long?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the longer, extended versions are the only way to go for big fans of the movie/book as they add a lot of stuff that was cut from the book in the theatrical cuts.

There were rougly 8-10 on an endcap at the Chapel Hill, OH BB today. There are now 6-8.

I picked up one for me and one for an investment. I figured that they will be free eventually for me when I return the receipt and get my $10.66 back.

Well, I totally slept on this deal..while LOTR doesn't get me too excited..the headline should have been "ZOMG You Get a triple movie holder Steelbook for $5" I would have definitely checked in on this. Here's to hoping I can get one tomorrow. Jesus, and dabamus, I can understand you don't want to drop $85 on the set, but man, let the $5 be!..has anyone been successful on cashing out a pre-order w/ a physical bonus, not having to return said physical bonus?

Two things:

1. I make a sport of ripping off BB via penny guides, free games, et cetera. Everything perfectly legally too.

2. The preorder bonus is free when you put $5 down on the movie set. I'll just pick up the movie set used somewhere or when it's on sale. With it being a 'free' bonus, you won't have to return it. It even says that you just present the receipt after 4/27 at customer service to get your money back.

Picked up a couple cases today at my local Best Buy ( Metcalf in Overland Park KS). They had the endcap setup with 8 cases on it mid-afternoon.

[quote name='token2k6']Well, I totally slept on this deal..while LOTR doesn't get me too excited..the headline should have been "ZOMG You Get a triple movie holder Steelbook for $5" I would have definitely checked in on this. Here's to hoping I can get one tomorrow. Jesus, and dabamus, I can understand you don't want to drop $85 on the set, but man, let the $5 be!..has anyone been successful on cashing out a pre-order w/ a physical bonus, not having to return said physical bonus?[/QUOTE]

I've never had to return the bonus before for the steelbooks. I just tell them I picked up the movie on release date and forgot my pre-order receipt but talked to the clerk when I came in and they said to just bring back the receipt next time I stopped by and it would be refunded. They just usually say, "So you already bought it from us?" I say yes and they give me my money back. :) If it's after 30 days, I've occasionally had them say they had to give it back to me as a giftcard because the system wouldn't let them do cash/credit on my card, but for $5 on a BB giftcard, that's fine with me. I usually am picking something else up there that day and it gets spent before I leave the store.

Went to my closest BB this morning and as expected, no sign of the steelbooks there either. The guy, who seemed fairly confused by the whole thing, looked it up in the RSS system and assured me they'd be out on Tuesday morning.... hrm, not sure if I believe that.

Same here. The guy at my BB said they never release anything unless it's a Tuesday. I made a comment about New Moon being released on a Saturday which he didn't believe... Wow. He told me that they would be out on 3/7. I hope he's right.

Ditto, went to my BB and not a single sign... in fact there was barely any stock (as with most Mondays). I didn't ask, but I'll just go back tomorrow.

bread's done
Back